Perry Farrell talks Eric Avery

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
eye

Perry Farrell talks Eric Avery

#1 Post by eye » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Not sure If this has been posted here before ... but

Jane’s Addiction frontman spoke candidly about former Jane’s Addiction bassist Eric Avery in a new interview with Jay Mohr.

On nicknames in Jane’s Addiction: “I had one I used to call Eric Avery behind his back, Sisyphus. Want to know why? He was trying to pick up on a girl, we used to all sleep in the same room on the road. So you’re hearing all these guys pick up lines and everything. He would use the same line, he would be like with a girl on a line and he’d be like [does Eric Avery impression], ‘I feel like Sisyphus rolling a rock up a hill with you.’ So I started call him, I’d go like ‘Where’s Sisyphus?’”
“You’re getting a hard on and you’re thinking about Sisyphus?”

For those wondering what Sisyphus is here is a description from Wikipedia, “In Greek mythology Sisyphus was a king of Ephyra punished for chronic deceitfulness by being compelled to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, and to repeat this action forever.”
On Jane’s Addiction’s 1991 breakup: “It worked out like this, originally I left Jane’s Addiction because I didn’t like Eric Avery, to be honest with you. I just didn’t enjoy being around the guy, I don’t want to get into all of the details. The truth is I didn’t want to hang out, I didn’t want to write music, I didn’t want to travel, I didn’t want to see a miserable face. I didn’t want to think about it, all of the betrayal what’s being said what’s being blocked, it sucks. I knew that if I just take a break and think things over. It’s funny the day after I came back from the very last show we ever did, it was in Hawaii. I partied my ass off in Hawaii, I lost my mind I stayed over after the show for like 5 days. All this time I’m thinking to myself it’s over it’s really over that was the last show. I flew into LA and I got off the plane and I was standing there on the curb where cars come to pick you up and I thought to myself, ‘Am I a schmuck?’”
On Eric Avery leaving Jane’s Addiction in 2010: “There’s people that don’t like you, you can tell. You can’t change their mind so don’t try, that’s what Etty always says to me. You know what they don’t like you, they don’t want to like you, you can’t change that so don’t want your time trying.”

“I tried to be very nice to him, it didn’t work.”

Perry Farrell claimed that former Jane’s Addiction bassist Eric Avery blocked Jane’s Addiction from releasing the two songs they recorded with Trent Reznor producing in 2009: Embrace The Darkness and I’ll Protect You.

Farrell said, “There have been Jane’s Addiction songs that were really good that they didn’t want to do at all. I have two of them right now in the can.”
He described the conflict he had with Avery during the Reznor sessions, “It’s not even the lyrics, [Eric Avery and I] got into an argument about parts. A particular chord. As far as I’m concerned, the way it goes with music today, how easy it is to record music, try it. Don’t sit there like [in a baby voice] “Oh I don’t know I don’t want to because that’s not what I, I wouldn’t.” Look man why don’t we do this? Give me 5 minutes, have a little confidence. If we don’t like it [fine], but give me a chance here let me try it.”

Farrell added, “At the end [Eric Avery] didn’t enjoy that I would say, “Hey can we try this chord? I hear this one chord.” He would get all huffy, like he didn’t want to try it. The song got recorded anyways, Trent Reznor recorded them actually, so it would have been fuckin awesome. But he vetoed it and wouldn’t let the songs out.”

kv

Re: Perry Farrell talks Eric Avery

#2 Post by kv » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:46 pm

ya old

eye

#3 Post by eye » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:49 pm

ah...

still.. would love to hear those Reznor tracks.

Deconstruction

#4 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Typo, you meant to say 'Perry Farrell discusses the Foreskin'

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Actually, he meant to say "Perry rewrites history and cries like a little bitch."

Noonesshocking

#6 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:24 pm

I actually feel like he comes off as pretty down to earth in the particular interview, for once. Just kind of giving his perspective on what went down during the reznor sessions without really shit talking.

Still want to hear those fucking songs. Always wondered if EA played some for sonny during the off the record parts of the interview...

....sonny? :wave:

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Larry B. wrote:Actually, he meant to say "Perry rewrites history and cries like a little bitch."
Well, Etty always says...

:lol:

Seriously, the guy can't go a day without talking about her and what she thinks about everything.

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:I actually feel like he comes off as pretty down to earth in the particular interview, for once. Just kind of giving his perspective on what went down during the reznor sessions without really shit talking.
I agree for the most part. I never thought that both Avery/Perry splits were utterly due to one person, I think there's a fair amount of bullshit each of them can lay claim to. In this interview, I understand what Perry is saying about certain issues with Eric, but I think the whole "living in a bubble" aspect of Perry not being fully aware of his own faults in his comments is obvious especially as to his out of control drug use during the '91 split (wasn't Eric trying to clean up at the time?) and the out of touch goof that Perry had become by the '09 reunion.

Dealing with these knuckleheads, I bet Reznor facepalmed so many times during the recording sessions a lot of people probably thought he had Rosacea.

trevor ayer

#9 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:18 am

pre 91 formula ... perry hums .. eric figures out notes and repeats them .. dave noodles while high on h .. perkins plays his kit like its a set of bongos .. casey writes the lyrics

trent session formula .. perry hums .. eric cries like a bitch because he wants to write all the music .. vetos everything and acts like eeyore on tour .. perry then lets etty write all the lyrics and hires drew carey to write the music .. stephen forgets he even has tom toms on his kit and dave refuses to play any solos

no wonder janes sucks now .. thanks eric .. ya douche

Larry B.

#10 Post by Larry B. » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:11 am

More like "Eric + Dave + Perk jam until they come up with something decent or good for Perry to sing over, Perry comes in with a Cool Edit file in a USB drive and tells them to double the electronic sounds or at least do the mimic."

Noonesshocking

#11 Post by Noonesshocking » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:29 am

trevor ayer wrote:hires drew carey to write the music
Gold.

Bandit72

#12 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:48 pm

I imagine both parties were poles apart on trying to write new material and both have obviously 'matured' since '91 in very different ways. You have to believe both of them I guess, but I think Eric's version of events went pretty unrehearsed with his Sonny interview. It's not hard to work out who is the lesser diva.

I couldn't agree more with Stephens lack of creativity on TGEA, even Strays in parts. I'm still baffled as to why such a talented and original drummer seemed to have taken such a backward step with his tracks. Laziness? I don't think so....

someguy

#13 Post by someguy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:11 pm

The I'll protect you bassline is pretty fucking great- obvious meets then she did imo

nestos

#14 Post by nestos » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:00 am

IMO, Perry and Eric are both top-level assholes !

JOEinPHX

#15 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:43 pm

*perry hums extra note*

**Eric tells him to shut the fuck up, that he's not inserting one note to take an additional percentage of the writing credit**

***Etty stands in the corner and tells Perry the song should be about champagne and sex with her***

*Trent Reznor, watching all of this from the corner, loses all faith in music and decides to disband NIN*

elbuitre

#16 Post by elbuitre » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Did Sonny's 4 hour-long phone interview with Eric ever surface? I remember Sonny saying that Eric addressed the pre-91 days in that interview.

kv

#17 Post by kv » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:50 pm

krakle

#18 Post by krakle » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:59 pm

kv wrote:
just watching a couple of seconds of that video makes me realize how unnaturally special it is to have had these different guys actually make more than one album.

Essence_Smith

#19 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:27 pm

Wow...that was 3 years ago??? Time fuckin flies...and I still think if you appreciate nothing else about xiola.org that the whole EA interview means a lot...dude literally had next to nothing to say for over a decade...he does one set of interviews and all of the sudden he's arrogant, etc... :noclue:

clickie

#20 Post by clickie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Yeah I wonder how Sonny managed to land that interview anyway. I guess Eric only cared that us hardcore janes fans heard his point of view otherwise he couldve done a way more publicised Q and A with a bigger audience.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#21 Post by Hokahey » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:Wow...that was 3 years ago??? Time fuckin flies...and I still think if you appreciate nothing else about xiola.org that the whole EA interview means a lot...dude literally had next to nothing to say for over a decade...he does one set of interviews and all of the sudden he's arrogant, etc... :noclue:
Because he never spoke no one had an opportunity to evaluate his thought process. So your logic there doesn't really hold water.

But who called him arrogant>?

Essence_Smith

#22 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:10 pm

hokahey wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:Wow...that was 3 years ago??? Time fuckin flies...and I still think if you appreciate nothing else about xiola.org that the whole EA interview means a lot...dude literally had next to nothing to say for over a decade...he does one set of interviews and all of the sudden he's arrogant, etc... :noclue:
Because he never spoke no one had an opportunity to evaluate his thought process. So your logic there doesn't really hold water.

But who called him arrogant>?
:banghead:
What logic, lol? I'm just saying I appreciated him finally expressing how he felt, but I seem to remember more than a few criticizing his POV on how things went down...

clickie

#23 Post by clickie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm

whatchu guys arguing about now mayne.. which library Eric checked out Tapping the Source when he gave his book report?

elbuitre

#24 Post by elbuitre » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:14 pm

So I guess Sonny's phone interview never surfaced?

blackcoffee

#25 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:23 pm

clickie wrote:whatchu guys arguing about now mayne.. which library Eric checked out Tapping the Source when he gave his book report?
You a Kem Nunn fan, Clickey?