POLL: What's WORSE - Another Soulmate or Hot Lava?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects

POLL: What's WORSE - "Another Soulmate" or "Hot Lava"?

Another Soulmate (2013)
71%
Hot Lava (1998)
29%

Total votes: 42

Kajicat

Re: POLL: What's WORSE - Another Soulmate or Hot Lava?

#51 Post by Kajicat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:55 pm

clickie wrote:He left out the first album when mentioning which ones he absolutely loves..go figure.
XXX is great, but it ain't no NS or Ritual, IMO.

(go figure)

cricket_bows

#52 Post by cricket_bows » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:21 pm

Bandit72

#53 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:03 am

trevor ayer

#54 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:37 am

first u dis maceo and now the xxx record .. holy shit! i would for you is as good if not better than anything on NS or RDLH .. same with whores .. trip away and one percent are more welcome to me than hearing aint no right or had a dad again .. the production is actually better .. never could truly enjoy the metal cheese production of their 2 big records thus my huge bootleg collection ... pigs and jane says are both equally enjoyable to the wb versions .. my time and chip away are also classics in the cannon .. the only huge difference is the lack of long epic tunes ala stairway to heaven aka three days or a ted ... the cover tunes are ok but seriously xxx is far more deserving of being clumped with ns and rdlh as a bonified classic, than not ... this is like saying slow divers and kettle are their worst tracks when they are really some of their best tracks .. when u take away what made those outtakes and xxx album GREAT, all that remains is what made strays and tgea suck .. think about it and come back when you have come to your senses

clickie

#55 Post by clickie » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Yeah I agree trevor, plus theres some great subject matter that flows along nicely on that first cd. I hold those covers done Janes style in higher regards though. I consider Rock and Roll into Sympathy the epic track you think its lacking. It's a shame they couldn't of found a spot for the original version of Kettle Whistle on one of the first two cds to avoid having 2 repeated songs.

Kajicat

#56 Post by Kajicat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:37 pm

trevor ayer wrote:first u dis maceo and now the xxx record .. holy shit!
I think bman was the only person who said they didn't like Maceo. I've always enjoyed Maceo. XXX is great...like a 9/10 for me. NS and Ritual are like 11/10 yo.
this is like saying slow divers and kettle are their worst tracks when they are really some of their best tracks
Slow Divers is easily one of my favorite Jane's songs for sure. XXX should be re-released containing Slow Divers. Kettle Whistle is really high up there too in fact I love the studio version with Flea.

Mescal

#57 Post by Mescal » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:10 am

Well, I voted.

At least hot lava was funny, and meant to be funny

Mescal

#58 Post by Mescal » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:12 am

And Maceo is an ok idea for a song. Like the drums and bass in the song, but it's hardly their best work.

And even though there's some great tunes on the XXX (Trip Away, Whores), I'm bored by their covers (Sympathy, Rock n Roll). Not that they're bad covers, but it gets boring after a few listens, and the originals are still better.

drifter

#59 Post by drifter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:36 am

small world, while waiting my tables last night I was serving a hot but distant chick so I just let her be. after receiving her credit card I noticed her last name was maceo so I thought maybe this was my in, I asked her if she knew of ja an she looked at me with a distainded face and said yes but still didn't open up. bitch. glad to see this link about this song came up. ironic, I don't think so. the ja gods rule
carry on

Jasper

#60 Post by Jasper » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:44 am

clickie wrote:Yeah I agree trevor, plus theres some great subject matter that flows along nicely on that first cd. I hold those covers done Janes style in higher regards though. I consider Rock and Roll into Sympathy the epic track you think its lacking. It's a shame they couldn't of found a spot for the original version of Kettle Whistle on one of the first two cds to avoid having 2 repeated songs.
I think it's a case where it would have been on a third album. Dave said something like that in the 90s. As with always having a kind of fun comedy number (Shower, BCS) they'd also have a kind of mellow somewhat Eastern psychedelic piece (Summertime Rolls, Of Course). It would have meant having two such pieces on one album had KW been on NS or RDLH. I wouldn't have had a problem with it, but I don't think it fits with the way they wanted the albums to flow.

I really wish they'd recorded a full studio version of KW back in the day. The demos are cool, but they don't even feature the entire final composition, and thus lack the dynamics of the righteous 1.0 live versions.

KW on the KW album is an enjoyable oddity, but they failed to capture the true potential of the song. Even they said that they didn't get it right, largely due to time constraints (though they could have just done it the way it was supposed to be in the first place). I remember someone (Perry?) commenting that they played it in rehearsal not long after they'd finished the album, and they all said "THAT'S the way that we should have recorded it!"

Larry B.

#61 Post by Larry B. » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:52 am

drifter wrote:while waiting my tables last night I was serving a hot but distant chick so I just let her be. after receiving her credit card I noticed her last name was maceo so I thought maybe this was my in, I asked her if she knew of ja an she looked at me with a distainded face and said yes but still didn't open up. bitch.
:lol: :lol:

you're so fucked up, mate

Hokahey
Site Admin

#62 Post by Hokahey » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:12 am

A kid with a nose ring rung me out at Target the other day. For fun I asked "Big Jane's Addiction fan?" on the chance he'd get it. He replied "Not sure why youre asking me that, but not at all. I saw them open for Alice in Chains and they were terrible." I started explaining how their singer used to wear a nose ring and how as a kid I had one because of him etc etc and he just stared at me like the idiot I am. I hung my head and left.

Essence_Smith

#63 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:57 pm

So Rollins line about not having to feel stupid for wearing a JA shirt is now completely false... :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#64 Post by Hokahey » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:So Rollins line about not having to feel stupid for wearing a JA shirt is now completely false... :lol:

Every time this band has embarrassed me I've thought back on that line. I kid you not. I remember reading what he wrote and loving every word. Thinking how spot on on he was. And then just a few years later......

JOEinPHX

#65 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:So Rollins line about not having to feel stupid for wearing a JA shirt is now completely false... :lol:
Nah.

You can still wear the old school shirts.

Just don't be caught walking around in this:

or this

trevor ayer

#66 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:55 pm

i bought a t shirt from the last tour .. it has the scream poster chick on the front .. i love it .. probably my best janes shirt i ever had .. i used to have the first lolla shirt .. and a ritual tour shirt and a pyros shirt .. this one is by far the coolest looking ..

clickie

#67 Post by clickie » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:40 pm

Mescal wrote:And Maceo is an ok idea for a song. Like the drums and bass in the song, but it's hardly their best work.

And even though there's some great tunes on the XXX (Trip Away, Whores), I'm bored by their covers (Sympathy, Rock n Roll). Not that they're bad covers, but it gets boring after a few listens, and the originals are still better.
This guy finds Jane's to be boring.