Lineup for Lolla Chile 2014

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
kv

Re: Lineup for Lolla Chile 2014

#26 Post by kv » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:36 pm

trevor ayer wrote:ok i'll give this a shot ...

Die Antwoord
M. I. A.
Ray Lamontagne
ASTROCAT
Gogol Bordello
Pussy Riot
and what the heck .. just to throw them a bone .. Rocketsled

:lol:

oh and I suppose Prince could headline if he promises not to play anything post Warner Bros. (save perhaps a few vintage Crystal Ball selections)
sounds like what should have happened in what? 2010? where is the current shit kids? these damn kids are failing us...is lolla just old man festival? now is warped tour what i should be looking to?...don't think i can handle much more metalcore :jasper:

kv

#27 Post by kv » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:42 pm

naw hoka look at pitchfork...bjork, r kelley and belle an sebastion...how 2013 cutting edge :bored: sticking with i think the kids suck

i honestly don't believe it means as much to them as a whole...pc's ipads, cell phone mp3....while we were car stereo's, boomboxes, home stereo's hell we'd go to lazerarium and shit lmao

JOEinPHX

#28 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:27 pm

hokahey wrote:
clickie wrote:Hok, youve lost all perspective, first lolla came out in 91'. were there a bunch of iconic head liners from 20 years earlier like lynyrd skynyrd needed to top the bill? hell no.
I'd say you've lost perspective. Different festival (except name). Pitchfork is probably closer to what Lollapalooza was. There will never be another OG Lolla. That was a different place and time in music and the world. There will also never be another Beatles. Somethings can only happen once, or within a small window.
That's what I am saying though.

Pitchfork won't have problems finding headliners, but Lollapalooza will.

At some point Pearl Jam and Soundgarden and the RHCP are going to be too old or want way too much money to show up for the 10th time, and the Lollapalooza concert goers aren't going to pay 300 bucks a ticket to see those bands "for the 6th time"

So you need new blood in there. But there is not much new blood at that level. And mainstream radio, who used to build those bands, doesn't play Pitchfork bands. They play Halestorm and Puddle of Mudd.

Lollapalooza is going to run out of headliners before enough time goes by to generate a new generation of arena rock bands to headline.

trevor ayer

#29 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:38 am

lolla could go a couple ways .. they can continue to book every new crappy band that sucks and sound like the uproar tour .. which mostly sucked

or .. be the hub for all the 80's reunions like pixies janes cure new order tool siouxie .. which would work just fine for me

or .. they can start being a huge fest for some old geezers that don't quite pack arenas anymore but could pack a huge park if they all team up .. like a bob dylan or a prince or some talking heads police black sabbath .. led zep could probably fill it by themselves just because they have held out so long ..

whatever they are doing now makes my eyes glaze over .. i have no desire to live for 3 days with 180 bands and 20 dollar cups of water .. its just insane .. 6 decent bands would be fine ..

Hokahey
Site Admin

#30 Post by Hokahey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
hokahey wrote:
clickie wrote:Hok, youve lost all perspective, first lolla came out in 91'. were there a bunch of iconic head liners from 20 years earlier like lynyrd skynyrd needed to top the bill? hell no.
I'd say you've lost perspective. Different festival (except name). Pitchfork is probably closer to what Lollapalooza was. There will never be another OG Lolla. That was a different place and time in music and the world. There will also never be another Beatles. Somethings can only happen once, or within a small window.
That's what I am saying though.

Pitchfork won't have problems finding headliners, but Lollapalooza will.

At some point Pearl Jam and Soundgarden and the RHCP are going to be too old or want way too much money to show up for the 10th time, and the Lollapalooza concert goers aren't going to pay 300 bucks a ticket to see those bands "for the 6th time"

So you need new blood in there. But there is not much new blood at that level. And mainstream radio, who used to build those bands, doesn't play Pitchfork bands. They play Halestorm and Puddle of Mudd.

Lollapalooza is going to run out of headliners before enough time goes by to generate a new generation of arena rock bands to headline.
I think you're really overreacting to seeing one bill very top heavy with nostalgia acts.

There are juge festivals all over the world every year that find plenty of acts to fill the bill.

I think you're also forgetting that todays LCD Soundystsem, White Stripes etc are tomorrows reunited New Order and Soundgarden.

You're also forgetting that today's noon slot performer is tomorrow's 7pm headliner.

There will probably never be another run like the early nineties Lollas. It happened because it needed to happen, and had never really happened. It was something that had been building for a very long time. And then "Alternative" happened and college and punk rock finally took over the main stage and became mainstream music. That door has been knocked down.

There will be plenty of reunited bands and nostalgia acts to headline the big name fests until the end of time.

The rest of the bill will be filled with tomorrow's reunited band and nostalgia act.

JOEinPHX

#31 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:24 pm

I love the noon bands. But very few of them have me salivating for new music from them by the 2nd or 3rd album.

Either my standards are too high, or I am getting too old and don't understand these new fangled bands. :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#32 Post by Hokahey » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:27 am

Six7Six7 wrote:I love the noon bands. But very few of them have me salivating for new music from them by the 2nd or 3rd album.

Either my standards are too high, or I am getting too old and don't understand these new fangled bands. :lol:
IThe same exact thoughts have crossed my mind as the point you're making in this thread. Time will tell. I suppose I was just presenting the opposing viewpoint for the purpose of conversation because I'm not exactly sure which viewpoint I completely subscribe to. On one hand, where are the great alt acts of today that will be legends tomorrow? On the other, I'm old and have a skewed perspective as a result. Tough to say what tomorrow's fest will look like. I do suspect that a similar conversation has been taking place for several generations now. It's the classic "where are the great bands of today" that every old man asks once his great generation of bands has come and passed.

JOEinPHX

#33 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:35 pm

There are great bands. Just not legendary bands.

I hate to be all Mr. 90s grunge guy, but who exactly are the 4 bands from the 2000s who are as big as Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Alice in Chains?

We're 1/3 into the 2010s and no one from this decade is tearing up the charts and packing stadiums either.

I WANT it. I want a band that makes me want to simultaneously sob and destroy things. But instead I am fed one of 2 things:

1. Indie bands who are more experimental and artistic (which I love)

2. Radio rock bands who play big fluffy riffs and write about strippers and booze. (Godsmack, Nickelback, My Darkest Days, Etc.... all sound the same)

Can't we have something in between? Something artistically credible, but with sweet riffs that aren't compressed and sound like total cheese?

wally

#34 Post by wally » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:There are great bands. Just not legendary bands.

I hate to be all Mr. 90s grunge guy, but who exactly are the 4 bands from the 2000s who are as big as Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Alice in Chains?

We're 1/3 into the 2010s and no one from this decade is tearing up the charts and packing stadiums either.

I WANT it. I want a band that makes me want to simultaneously sob and destroy things. But instead I am fed one of 2 things:

2. Radio rock bands who play big fluffy riffs and write about strippers and booze. (Godsmack, Nickelback, My Darkest Days, Etc.... all sound the same)

Can't we have something in between? Something artistically credible, but with sweet riffs that aren't compressed and sound like total cheese?
You called?
:lolol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#35 Post by Hokahey » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:14 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:There are great bands. Just not legendary bands.

These types of posts (I've made them myself) always remind me of this scene from Singles:
Cliff Poncier: Where are the anthems for our youth? What happened to music that meant something? The Who at the Kingdome, or Kiss at the Coliseum... Where is the "Misty Mountain Hop," where is the, is the "Smoke on the Water"... Where is the "Iron Man" of today?

Look at this, most of these bands are like well designed bottles of bleach. It's beer and lifestyle music!
Which was ironic because shortly thereafter, and in part because of that movie, the Seattle scene completely exploded, bringing us to where we are now; wondering where the next anthem and music that means something is coming from.

It's amazing how well that quote lines up with your post.

JOEinPHX

#36 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:22 pm

And there we have it.

I'm not just an old coot. It's true.

Every generation has its music. But we've always had those giant summer anthems, till the last 15 years anyway.

Korn and Papa Roach aren't getting the job done.

farrellgirl99

#37 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:And there we have it.

I'm not just an old coot. It's true.

Every generation has its music. But we've always had those giant summer anthems, till the last 15 years anyway.

Korn and Papa Roach aren't getting the job done.
Are Korn and Papa Roach even making music still? I feel like the problem, or not really a problem but the situation, is that there just aren't many rock bands anymore in general. Rock is dead as a mainstream commodity. It's about hip hop and pop. Rock is now indie or electronic influenced 'rock'. When Kanye said he is a rock star, he was right. Rap is what rock was in the 90s.

The only 'rock' bands I like are ones that started in the 90s, like Deftones or Muse. Newer 'rock' bands I like are things like Sleigh Bells or Phantogram, which is more indie or experimental or whatever the hell term it is and not really rock at all.

I don't know, I just feel like music is so different. We don't have big alternative bands because thats not the state of music right now. There's nothing wrong with it, thats just how it is. I love hip hop and good pop and experimental whatever so I don't care. I can still listen to 90s rock and be happy about it.