Jane's on Jimmy Kimmel Monday

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: Jane's on Jimmy Kimmel Monday

#26 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:22 pm

It's Perry Bernstein.

Perry Ferrell OD'ed on heroin in 1997, was abducted by a korean chick, and never came back.

clickie

#27 Post by clickie » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:41 am

Perry has adapted some strange mannerisms. He sings Stop like its a love song.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#28 Post by Hokahey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:37 am

Something looks and sounds really off about him in that performance. Has he had more work done? He looks bizarre and is singing Stop in a way I've never heard him sing it.

Man. We all realize they've gone downhill, but that was like watching Jane's with a really terrible Perry impersonator.

trevor ayer

#29 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:41 am

every time perry smiles i am like .. "who the fuck is that guy?"

if that was real perry he wouldn't have the douche hair and he wouldn't hold the mic like he is dionne warwick .. pretty sure perry got snipped (fixed) :bigrin:

Kajicat

#30 Post by Kajicat » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Watched "Stop" and "Three Days"... sounded pretty great to me. Especially for a bunch of old farts past their prime. Perry was very tolerable here.

cricket_bows

#31 Post by cricket_bows » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Kajicat,

I truly ask this with no animosity or intent to start anything, but why do you come to Ain't No Right? You jump on people when they express opinions about the band (how they sound, Perry's appearance) that differ from yours, so much so that you seem genuinely annoyed. The guy has absolutely crapped all over his legacy and become a Disneyfied version of what was a very special experience. I'll keep repeating it: it's become the fat Elvis, and there's no justification for it.

I just guess if I knew I was in the minority, I wouldn't keep beating my head against a wall and reminding people of how much more of a rockstar Perry Bernstein is than a bunch of jealous keyboard wannabes.

Peace.

creep
Site Admin

#32 Post by creep » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:49 pm

cricket_bows wrote:Kajicat,

I truly ask this with no animosity or intent to start anything, but why do you come to Ain't No Right? You jump on people when they express opinions about the band (how they sound, Perry's appearance) that differ from yours, so much so that you seem genuinely annoyed. The guy has absolutely crapped all over his legacy and become a Disneyfied version of what was a very special experience. I'll keep repeating it: it's become the fat Elvis, and there's no justification for it.

I just guess if I knew I was in the minority, I wouldn't keep beating my head against a wall and reminding people of how much more of a rockstar Perry Bernstein is than a bunch of jealous keyboard wannabes.

Peace.
he does seem to come here only to start shit.

just curious...are you the same cricket bows that posted many years ago? if my bad memory serves me right it was a female way back then. :noclue:

Kajicat

#33 Post by Kajicat » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Peace.
I come here because it's the best place for info on Jane's, my favorite band. I don't stop by that often anymore (and continue to less and less), for all this place does is make me hate this band more than I thought I ever could. Don't get me wrong, Jane's has shit all over its legacy, but I never would have looked at them in such a negative light as I do now if it weren't for this board. Otherwise, all I would know about Jane's would be the music I hear, the concert footage I see, and the interviews I read. Kinda like back in the day before the internet. Ignorance is bliss, I guess... but you don't get ignorance these days with twitter, FB, this site, etc. Someone on here will always find the latest update from one of the band members and post it here for everyone to laugh at. It's like all they do is track Jane's in order to poke fun at these old men who have lost their way. And what's worse, the old men who've lost their way or the "nobodies" who follow their every step?

Yes, this band ain't what it used to be. But people take it to the extreme here. When you stop and think about how much time the people here put into hating, it's pretty sad. If the band sucks so bad nowadays, then why not just move on and only focus on the bands that are still good? Okay, so you like to come here because you've known some of these members for a long time - great. But it all focuses around negativity towards your (once) favorite band. Go ahead and take pleasure in that, but I'll stick to my real life friends who I can actually go hang out with regularly rather than see maybe twice ever. That's my take on that.

But in all seriousness, Jane's sounded fine on Stop and Three Days on Jimmy Fallon. Perry sounds old, but everyone should be expecting that now. The band played the songs top notch. The flesh hook ladies might be old news to people here, but it isn't to those who were watching and don't follow Jane's every step.

And trust me, I'm not banging my head against the wall. I just stop by every once in a while and LOL at everyone still so upset and full of hatred whenever I click on a new thread. If I think they're wrong, like I do of some of the people in this very thread for example, I'll give my 2 cents.

kv

#34 Post by kv » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:51 am

what you fail to see if most people here have known each other for over a decade...it's the people not the band anymore for most of the regs...sure the band is the glue that got us together but when we are here talking about other stuff ( 90% of the site is other stuff) and jane's news comes up it's hard to look way...it's like driving by an accident...and many of us would disagree with "if it wasn't for the internet" i know i wouldn't still be into jane's because to me they are a shell of their former self live when i have seen them in person...that's what matters most to me...the new music sucks, perry doesn't have it and the rest are going through the motions..has nothing to do with etty or chaney or daves tv show...for me anyway

my two cents

another 2 is you always come off like a douche around here...then again your view of me is prob the same....because you come here for jane's ( which i hate now) while i come here for the people...(who also see you as a douche) :idea:

janesbiggestfan

#35 Post by janesbiggestfan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:27 am

Jesus it really is so depressing looking at what Perry has become…
I had the exact same impression about it being some imposter taking Perry's place…
The guy now has nothing of what made him great… Changed the teeth, changed the nose, lost the voice, lost the balls…
He looks like an alcoholic person with no testosterone and he is controlled by his cunt of a wife…
Extremely depressing….

Listen to this track and tell me it's the same guy… impossible...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKpGnHZS_uQ

Mescal

#36 Post by Mescal » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:52 am

Kajicat wrote:

I come here because it's the best place for info on Jane's, my favorite band. I don't stop by that often anymore (and continue to less and less), for all this place does is make me hate this band more than I thought I ever could. Don't get me wrong, Jane's has shit all over its legacy, but I never would have looked at them in such a negative light as I do now if it weren't for this board. Otherwise, all I would know about Jane's would be the music I hear, the concert footage I see, and the interviews I read. Kinda like back in the day before the internet. Ignorance is bliss, I guess... but you don't get ignorance these days with twitter, FB, this site, etc. Someone on here will always find the latest update from one of the band members and post it here for everyone to laugh at. It's like all they do is track Jane's in order to poke fun at these old men who have lost their way. And what's worse, the old men who've lost their way or the "nobodies" who follow their every step?

Y
I'd have to agree with this.

I would still think they suck now, but I wouldn't have to sit through every horrible thing they're doing. Cause other than the people on this site, nobody gives a fuck what Jane's Addiction is doing these days. I wouldn't read about them in the magazines over here.

bman

#37 Post by bman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:04 am

This site is frustrating now. There are a few rabid haters (they shall remain nameless), who shit on everything. They're entitled to their opinion that's fine. I've seen Jane's a bunch of times in recent years, and some of their performances were great. Yes, Great. Is it the same as before, no. But if bards and twitter and youtube existed back in 1.0, these same haters would find something to hate on back then too. That's just the way it is. But calling Perry's wife a Cunt! Are you serious? What the hell is wrong with you.
Later.

Larry B.

#38 Post by Larry B. » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:10 am

According to "Wrong Girl", Perry called her a cunt too.

bman

#39 Post by bman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:14 am

Larry B. wrote:According to "Wrong Girl", Perry called her a cunt too.
lol

Hokahey
Site Admin

#40 Post by Hokahey » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:24 am

I approach everything Jane's with an open mind, hoping and praying it's not crap. This performance is crap and Perry looks weird. I liked the TGEA tour. Probably more than NINJA if truth be told. Perry's performance is the majority factor in how much I like a show.

creep
Site Admin

#41 Post by creep » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:29 am

i don't know why this is all coming up on this thread. no one really bashed the performance. it's basically what we expect from them now. not horrible..not great. you can't deny that perry looks odd though. :noclue:

Kajicat

#42 Post by Kajicat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:35 am

KV: Obviously we've never seen eye to eye. Nothing new. I've thought of you as a dickhead since I first started dropping by Xiola. You, Jasper, and like one or two others that I can't even recall now. I don't give a fuck about being friends with you as you're not somebody I'll actually ever hang out with in real life like my real friends/coworkers. If you're a dick to me I'll be a dick to you. Again, this is nothing new.

janesbiggestfan wrote:Listen to this track and tell me it's the same guy… impossible...
That was 1996. Only 2 years later in 1998 was Perry doing this trash:

So, I ask... what's worse, the "Hot Lava" song in 1998 or "Another Soulmate" in 2013? I'm surprised people didn't freak the fuck out in 1998 when this came out and start yelling "The sky is falling Perry Farrell has lost it how could he have created such a shit song!?!" I'll gladly listen to "Another Soulmate" over "Hot Lava." Perry has put out some shit (Hot Lava) long before Jane's got back together for Strays to let you all down. It's like some people here have selective memory.

To anyone else who thinks the performances on Jimmy Kimmel were bad...please elaborate. We know Perry's voice is shot due to age/drug usage, we know the rest of the band has aged as well, we know Eric isn't playing...but did it really sound that bad? Musically, it was on point. Vocally, Perry seems to be doing the best he can with what little vocal cords he has left. If Perry had dreads, younger skin, and there was a smoke machine on the stage I feel like everyone who didn't like the Jimmy Kimmel performance would somehow magically give it a pass. Keep the music, vocals, and mannerisms the same but make him look like the old Perry and I bet most of the haters would all of a sudden think it's okay. "Oh yeah he sounds worse because he's old, but that's to be expected...Perry is still such a cool dude." You'd be saying what I'm saying, except I say it now when I realize he's 54 and not 29, but that doesn't fly with some of you.

Forget the PerryEtty dance music, his wife, his kids, the Eric/Perry beef, and just base these performances off of Jane's Addiction and tell me it's so bad.

EDIT:
creep wrote:i don't know why this is all coming up on this thread. no one really bashed the performance. it's basically what we expect from them now. not horrible..not great. you can't deny that perry looks odd though. :noclue:
But do you expect these old timers to be so great nowadays? Perry "looks odd" you say...he's been an odd looking fellow since 1986. If you're talking about his skin, eyes, etc. well yeah he's an old fuck now whose body has gone through some heavy drugs throughout time. Hell, maybe if he didn't whiten his teeth or have dental work done he'd look even more ghastly and people would be like damn this dude looks fucking terrible omg he needs to fix his fucking teeth what a creep (no pun intended).

creep
Site Admin

#43 Post by creep » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:41 am

Kajicat wrote:KV: Obviously we've never seen eye to eye. Nothing new. I've thought of you as a dickhead since I first started dropping by Xiola. You, Jasper, and like one or two others that I can't even recall now. I don't give a fuck about being friends with you as you're not somebody I'll actually ever hang out with in real life like my real friends/coworkers. If you're a dick to me I'll be a dick to you. Again, this is nothing new.

janesbiggestfan wrote:Listen to this track and tell me it's the same guy… impossible...
That was 1996. Only 2 years later in 1998 was Perry doing this trash:

So, I ask... what's worse, the "Hot Lava" song in 1998 or "Another Soulmate" in 2013? I'm surprised people didn't freak the fuck out in 1998 when this came out and start yelling "The sky is falling Perry Farrell has lost it how could he have created such a shit song!?!" I'll gladly listen to "Another Soulmate" over "Hot Lava." Perry has put out some shit (Hot Lava) long before Jane's got back together for Strays to let you all down. It's like some people here have selective memory.

To anyone else who thinks the performances on Jimmy Kimmel were bad...please elaborate. We know Perry's voice is shot due to age/drug usage, we know the rest of the band has aged as well, we know Eric isn't playing...but did it really sound that bad? Musically, it was on point. Vocally, Perry seems to be doing the best he can with what little vocal cords he has left. If Perry had dreads, younger skin, and there was a smoke machine on the stage I feel like everyone who didn't like the Jimmy Kimmel performance would somehow magically give it a pass. Keep the music, vocals, and mannerisms the same but make him look like the old Perry and I bet most of the haters would all of a sudden think it's okay. "Oh yeah he sounds worse because he's old, but that's to be expected...Perry is still such a cool dude." You'd be saying what I'm saying, except I say it now when I realize he's 54 and not 29, but that doesn't fly with some of you.

Forget the PerryEtty dance music, his wife, his kids, the Eric/Perry beef, and just base these performances off of Jane's Addiction and tell me it's so bad.

EDIT:
creep wrote:i don't know why this is all coming up on this thread. no one really bashed the performance. it's basically what we expect from them now. not horrible..not great. you can't deny that perry looks odd though. :noclue:
But do you expect these old timers to be so great nowadays? Perry "looks odd" you say...he's been an odd looking fellow since 1986. If you're talking about his skin, eyes, etc. well yeah he's an old fuck now whose body has gone through some heavy drugs throughout time. Hell, maybe if he didn't whiten his teeth or have dental work done he'd look even more ghastly and people would be like damn this dude looks fucking terrible omg he needs to fix his fucking teeth what a creep (no pun intended).
i think everyone understands that they will never be the same band again. my main issue with them is that they put zero effort in their live show. the same old songs over and over and over. if they were changing up the setlist...playing with other band members that they are on tour with etc...i would have no issue with them.

JOEinPHX

#44 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:41 pm

The zero effort into the live show extends even further if you consider that they are so bad as a live band now, that they had to hire 4 performance artists to make it interesting.

They doubled the band to make the show worth your 30 dollars.

Pandemonium

#45 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:58 pm

creep wrote:i think everyone understands that they will never be the same band again. my main issue with them is that they put zero effort in their live show. the same old songs over and over and over. if they were changing up the setlist...playing with other band members that they are on tour with etc...i would have no issue with them.
Bingo.

kv

#46 Post by kv » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:31 pm

bman wrote:This site is frustrating now. There are a few rabid haters (they shall remain nameless), who shit on everything. They're entitled to their opinion that's fine. I've seen Jane's a bunch of times in recent years, and some of their performances were great. Yes, Great. Is it the same as before, no. But if bards and twitter and youtube existed back in 1.0, these same haters would find something to hate on back then too. That's just the way it is. But calling Perry's wife a Cunt! Are you serious? What the hell is wrong with you.
Later.
if they were great but not the same as before wouldn't they drop down to being good? not in your scale...great drops down some...still great...drops more...songs get worse...still great...same set....still great.....still great? wtf?

see for me it it was mind blowing epic...to awesome, to great, to still good, to has moments, still fun. getting stale, meh, washed up, omg what happened?, to fuck i don't care abut this band anymore live

what you forget is some of us have been around here since the relapse era and no i wasn't saying a single bad thing about them then...hell i was happy seeing them live and they didn't start to sour for me till 2002....so no, your bullshit is just that

and as for the dreaded cunt word...if the shoe fucking fits :noclue:

janesbiggestfan

#47 Post by janesbiggestfan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:06 am

For me specifically its about Perry's face and the nose and the teeth and the way in which he basically is on his knees during the song and how he mumbles unintelligible words instead of the lyrics to the song "stop". Truly listen to the vocals and tell me it's just about his voice being shot. It's not. I believe this live version to be the strangest ever, and worst ever, that ive seen.

Plus, at some point all the interviews Ive read of this guy, it sort of aggregates into the feeling that your onetime idol is a braindead full of shit idiot. The way he says these things like "I know these Coheed and Cambria kids. I like them ALOT", where you just know that he is sooooo full of shit. Like I literally know exactly how it sounds when he says these bullshit incantations, because thats been the way in every interview for the past 3 years (at least). It just makes you want to hate this guy.

Other notable example is the already famous "I have around 60 songs written. But I only want to record around 10 of them and release maybe 5. It's all about the CURRENCY. For me music is currency. I plan for this to go VIRAL"

Jesus, I remember watching the 1997 hard charger live video from stern premiere. This band is the most frustrating band on the planet only because of the fact that at one point they were the most shocking and greatest on the planet. All these thoughts of what could have been. Third record instead of Deconstruction and P4P. A record in 1997 with Flea and Hard Charger as the lead single.

I must have a happy life because nothing frustrated me more in the last 10 years than Jane's Addiction and what it's become as opposed to what I hoped for since first listening to them in 1999.

CaseyContrarian

#48 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:25 am

janesbiggestfan wrote:I must have a happy life because nothing frustrated me more in the last 10 years than Jane's Addiction and what it's become as opposed to what I hoped for since first listening to them in 1999.
Swap 1999 for 1991 for me.

I think you've just hit upon the very essence of this board. It's why some folks seem to "belong" more than others. Everyone belongs here, really. It's like the Overlook Hotel in the Shining. But some of us know why...

Kajicat

#49 Post by Kajicat » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:57 am

janesbiggestfan wrote:For me specifically its about Perry's face and the nose and the teeth and the way in which he basically is on his knees during the song and how he mumbles unintelligible words instead of the lyrics to the song "stop". Truly listen to the vocals and tell me it's just about his voice being shot. It's not. I believe this live version to be the strangest ever, and worst ever, that ive seen.
See now I liked it more because of that. It was different, not the same old performance. For a bit there I was like... "Is Perry back on drugs?" You'd expect Perry to make sure to enunciate perfectly for live TV but he didn't, which was kinda shocking and cool to me because it was so unexpected.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#50 Post by Hokahey » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:29 pm

Kajicat wrote:
janesbiggestfan wrote:For me specifically its about Perry's face and the nose and the teeth and the way in which he basically is on his knees during the song and how he mumbles unintelligible words instead of the lyrics to the song "stop". Truly listen to the vocals and tell me it's just about his voice being shot. It's not. I believe this live version to be the strangest ever, and worst ever, that ive seen.
See now I liked it more because of that. It was different, not the same old performance. For a bit there I was like... "Is Perry back on drugs?" You'd expect Perry to make sure to enunciate perfectly for live TV but he didn't, which was kinda shocking and cool to me because it was so unexpected.

Ok, now you're just trolling. There is no way in fuck you mean what you just typed there.