Chris Chaney Interview - Glide Magazine

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Essence_Smith

Re: Chris Chaney Interview - Glide Magazine

#26 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:Thought it was funny how Eric called him in 08 for a refresher on no one's leaving.
I tried jamming with some friends recently on a song I wrote around 1997-98...there were a few parts I definitely couldn't remember how I played... :hehe:

clickie

#27 Post by clickie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:00 pm

The problem with Chaney is the creative ability. Sure the guy can play whatever you put in front of him, but when youre the bassist for janes addiction you need to come up with some more memorable bass lines.

clickie

#28 Post by clickie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:11 pm

I swear sometimes when I hear him play it reminds me of a car driving down the street with a flat tire, just thumping along grooving to the beat.

JOEinPHX

#29 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:59 pm

clickie wrote:The problem with Chaney is the creative ability. Sure the guy can play whatever you put in front of him, but when youre the bassist for janes addiction you need to come up with some more memorable bass lines.
That's usually the difference between a great musician and a good musician.

I've seen a lot of guitar players say shit like "I can play all of Eddie Van Halen's riffs. He's not THAT great"

Yeah, but could you WRITE those riffs? Big difference.

Anyone can spend 8 hours a day learning how to play something. But it takes TALENT to write the riff that everyone wants to spend that time figuring out.

Essence_Smith

#30 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 pm

Surprised no one's mentioned the "hater" angle of this article...that kinda jumped out at me like who the hell wrote this thing? I wish more people who write JA would acknowledge the fact that there's a good reason they get "hated" on... :no:

Hype

#31 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:07 am

Essence_Smith wrote:Surprised no one's mentioned the "hater" angle of this article...that kinda jumped out at me like who the hell wrote this thing? I wish more people who write JA would acknowledge the fact that there's a good reason they get "hated" on... :no:
Even years ago, when JA still had a solid legend, intact reputation, etc., friends of mine would say they hate the vocals, or they thought the production was shitty (80s), or they liked Three Days but the rest was "meh", and that singer... what the hell, oh and didn't the guitarist ruin the Red Hot Chili Peppers for a while?

That stuff's always been there. We loved the band because we heard something we liked that other people weren't hearing, or didn't like. But a lot of people focus on the sideshow that has always kind of been there (Perry has always been a bit more than weird...), but is now really the only thing left, since the music really is mediocre now.

I thought this article was really interesting and the "hater" stuff was raised as part of a kind of genuine angle on Chaney's being a part of that.

JOEinPHX

#32 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:10 am

At this point the original bass player not being there is the least of the reasons to hate them.

Lokus

#33 Post by Lokus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:22 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
Noonesshocking wrote:Thought it was funny how Eric called him in 08 for a refresher on no one's leaving.
I tried jamming with some friends recently on a song I wrote around 1997-98...there were a few parts I definitely couldn't remember how I played... :hehe:
The band I had with my high school buddies from 1996-2000 got back together in 2011 for my wedding and again this year for the bass players wedding.

In both instances we had a relatively short amount of time to prepare. We figured out pretty quickly it would be easier to play all covers because we could make use of tabs from the Internet and most of them are songs we listen to fairly frequently, as opposed to our old originals which we have not really listened to in over 10 years.