Jane's to play solo show in Santiago - Oct 15.

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: Jane's to play solo show in Santiago - Oct 15.

#26 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:11 pm

They flew all the way to Chile to play 13 songs?

That's not just phoning it in, that's an International Call.

Larry B.

#27 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:They flew all the way to Chile to play 13 songs?

That's not just phoning it in, that's an International Call.
I'm pretty sure these are just Perry's business trips (Lolla et al) in which he also sees a business opportunity.

I think they play in Colombia tomorrow or the day after.

Warped

#28 Post by Warped » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Larry B. wrote:
kv wrote:can't tell if trollin'
Nope, it was really good. I had a great time and so did everyone else. :noclue:

I'm gonna look for videos tomorrow to see how it looked.
I am happy for you that you had a great time man :rockon: :rockon: Wish i could see them again but obviously Europe is not on their list in the near future (if ever again) :sad:

Mescal

#29 Post by Mescal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:15 am

hokahey wrote:
:lolol:
I was kinda thinking the same thing :)

bman

#30 Post by bman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:21 am

Wow. Larry B liked a show! Awesome. Janes is still killer at times.

creep
Site Admin

#31 Post by creep » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:24 am

Mescal wrote:
hokahey wrote:
everyone who has seen them live lately pretty much has said they were ok i think. perry's voice is pretty much rested and i know the crowds is chile are 100000x better than a half full festival show crowd.

i'm not surprised it was good. :noclue:

Larry B.

#32 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:57 am

Mescal wrote:
hokahey wrote:
To be honest, as I was writing I thought "does it sound like I'm being sarcastic?"

Apparently, yes.

Larry B.

#33 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:38 am

Here's a video of Perry saying Santiago is shit + Chip Away + Jane Says. But seriously, it's worth watching Perry's stupidity.

Larry B.

#34 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:45 am

And here's Been Caught Stealing. If you have a couple of minutes, watch it. If I'd known they would be playing this way, I wouldn't have doubted whether to go or not.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#35 Post by Hokahey » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:55 am

Hard not to enjoy a show in a crowd that excited. Looked fun.

Larry B.

#36 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:05 am

Artemis wrote:Have a good tiem tonight, Larry!

Have you got a special outfit picked out to wear to the show? :lol:
A magazine actually chose "the best and worse dressed in the Jane's Addiction show" :confused:

Good:

Bad:

(Apparently, all of these are well known people here. I only know the third girl in the "good" category. No idea what she does, though. Probably some sort of model-actress type of thing.)

Larry B.

#37 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Here's the beginning of the show (Underground, Mountain Song, Just Because and Had a Dad). I hadn't noticed that Etty had a microphone and was supposedly singing in the chorus of Underground. Right.

Artemis

#38 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Larry B. wrote:Here's a video of Perry saying Santiago is shit + Chip Away + Jane Says. But seriously, it's worth watching Perry's stupidity.

i think at abut 4:50 one of the guys you hear in the background called Perry a pendejo. :lol:

i'm surprised perry didn't have a bottle of Chilean wine. every night he has a bottle of red wine on stage, yet this night, in a wine producing country, he doesn't choose the wine!

JOEinPHX

#39 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:41 pm

I think Underground is a really weak opener.

nausearockpig

#40 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:50 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:I think Underground is a really weak opener.
and a weak song... God they should just to 1.0 songs and be done with it..

Matov

#41 Post by Matov » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Glad to see you had fun Larry, and congratulations on the qualification, despite our piss poor performance against uruguay. That kind of lazy shit will get you out of a world cup in no time. Kinda like the last one where germany kicked our ass all the way back to argentina.
I actually enjoyed that one a bit, seeing the whole Maradona myth torn to pieces in just a couple of hours.
But i digress.

Sounds pretty much like the show i went to last year, which your friend didn't seem to enjoy. Packed, small place, steam and fumes, band on a roll, girls hanging from the ceiling... I remember the following day, this dude called Ariel Minimal (used to play for Los Fabulosos Cadillacs but now he fronts his own proggy psychedelic hard rock band called PEZ) posted a video of the show saying something similar to "no rock show should EVER be played in a venue larger than this". And boy did he have a point there. It all fit just perfect.

As opposed to this year's show, i guess, which was in effect a half full festival show. Not that the band was lacking or anything, and perry did a decent job keeping the silly banter to a minimum. Instead of going "Hi Argentina, i hear you have Andes mountains here... so this song is for them!" he just whispered "Do you guys know belzebub?".Still they had some major sound issues, and not having the whole crowd on their side, it all felt a bit cold, even for me.

I did have those moments where i felt "man these are goood songs", especially on three days...

Anyway, thought i'd share a bit more. Sounds like you got a much better deal Larry! :wave:

Larry B.

#42 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Matov wrote:Glad to see you had fun Larry, and congratulations on the qualification, despite our piss poor performance against uruguay. That kind of lazy shit will get you out of a world cup in no time. Kinda like the last one where germany kicked our ass all the way back to argentina.
I actually enjoyed that one a bit, seeing the whole Maradona myth torn to pieces in just a couple of hours.
But i digress.

Sounds pretty much like the show i went to last year, which your friend didn't seem to enjoy. Packed, small place, steam and fumes, band on a roll, girls hanging from the ceiling... I remember the following day, this dude called Ariel Minimal (used to play for Los Fabulosos Cadillacs but now he fronts his own proggy psychedelic hard rock band called PEZ) posted a video of the show saying something similar to "no rock show should EVER be played in a venue larger than this". And boy did he have a point there. It all fit just perfect.

As opposed to this year's show, i guess, which was in effect a half full festival show. Not that the band was lacking or anything, and perry did a decent job keeping the silly banter to a minimum. Instead of going "Hi Argentina, i hear you have Andes mountains here... so this song is for them!" he just whispered "Do you guys know belzebub?".Still they had some major sound issues, and not having the whole crowd on their side, it all felt a bit cold, even for me.

I did have those moments where i felt "man these are goood songs", especially on three days...

Anyway, thought i'd share a bit more. Sounds like you got a much better deal Larry! :wave:
Uh, I'd really love to catch live one of Argentina's matches next year. If I do, I'd be rooting for you guys (well, for Messi, actually) without question. Unless it's a match against England... in that case, I'd just celebrate everything by everyone. When I went to see Chile vs. Argentina, I was so fucking ecstatic to see Messi score such a beautiful goal... in fact, I went to see him. Not Chile, not Argentina: Messi. You lucky bastards.

Anyway, here's to Argentina at least making it all the way to the final :cheers:

Mescal

#43 Post by Mescal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Why do you have to turn every thread into a football thread?!

Btw, we will be going to the worldcup too!!!!!

26 out of 30, our best qualification run ever (and we were only going at half speed in our last game agains Wales: 1 - 1).

So hazaa for Belgium :aoa: :banana: :aoa: :banana: :aoa: :banana:

I wonder how we will hold up agains the really big players! But if we don't win the world cup now (and absolutely not saying we will) we will never win it.

Larry B.

#44 Post by Larry B. » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:22 am

Hahaha, I just can't help it at this point... besides, you get a guy from Chile and a guy from Argentina together, and theres's no way they won't talk a bit about football :dunce:

With a bit of luck, Belgium should be at least in the top 8. What a generation you have, man. And I think there's enough young talent there to have a good EURO 2016 anyway. Too bad you won't convince Januzaj to play for you :wiggle: That boy is the future.

If Chile goes through to the knockout phase they'll get Brazil -as usual- and that will be it. But I too think they could finish in the top 8. A man can dream.

thoreau

#45 Post by thoreau » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:15 am

Matov wrote:I remember the following day, this dude called Ariel Minimal (used to play for Los Fabulosos Cadillacs but now he fronts his own proggy psychedelic hard rock band called PEZ) posted a video of the show saying something similar to "no rock show should EVER be played in a venue larger than this".
Great guitarist. I was so bummed when I found out he wasn't a part of the LFC reunion.

perkana

#46 Post by perkana » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:04 am

Larry B. wrote:
Artemis wrote:Have a good tiem tonight, Larry!

Have you got a special outfit picked out to wear to the show? :lol:
A magazine actually chose "the best and worse dressed in the Jane's Addiction show" :confused:

Good:

Bad:

(Apparently, all of these are well known people here. I only know the third girl in the "good" category. No idea what she does, though. Probably some sort of model-actress type of thing.)
At least you don't have a craze over the KOL/Brandon Flowers look over there. I saw that look the entire last weekend and it made me sick at some point

Matov

#47 Post by Matov » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:44 am

thoreau wrote: Great guitarist. I was so bummed when I found out he wasn't a part of the LFC reunion.
I think we had this conversation before... i think those two albums they recorded with Minimal on guitar are some of the best music ever recorded in spanish. Of course Flavio was peaking creatively as well. I think the reunion (of which i saw 2 shows, amazing fun) is mostly about celebrating their status as a ska/party band, and giving people a plain good time, as opposed to working out intrincate songs with mixtures of tango and hardcore or whatever...

Still if you're interested i can PM you some of my favorite Pez albums, they're really really good. Nothing like LFC, though. Les reggae/ska/punk, more prog.

nausearockpig

#48 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:24 pm

is that the local Chilean Dave Navaro clone in the first pic?

thoreau

#49 Post by thoreau » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:50 am

Matov wrote:
thoreau wrote: Great guitarist. I was so bummed when I found out he wasn't a part of the LFC reunion.
I think we had this conversation before... i think those two albums they recorded with Minimal on guitar are some of the best music ever recorded in spanish. Of course Flavio was peaking creatively as well. I think the reunion (of which i saw 2 shows, amazing fun) is mostly about celebrating their status as a ska/party band, and giving people a plain good time, as opposed to working out intrincate songs with mixtures of tango and hardcore or whatever...

Still if you're interested i can PM you some of my favorite Pez albums, they're really really good. Nothing like LFC, though. Les reggae/ska/punk, more prog.
We did, and I agree with everything you've said here. :bigrin:

I agree that La Luz was definitely about celebrating the ska/party aspect, especially with reworkings of songs like Mal Bicho.

I think I was just holding out hope (when the reunion first happened) that they would have continued where they left off. As you said, La Marcha and Fabulosos Calavera were amazing. I'm glad they at least put out Hola and Chau to show how amazing they were live at that point.

I have a couple of Pez albums (Cabeza and Quemado), which I love. They are tough to find in the states. I would love anything you may have that I don't. Thanks!

blackcoffee

#50 Post by blackcoffee » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:41 am

This is bad? Seems reasonably age-appropriate--and kind of cool.