New Jane's album "Embrace the Darkness" coming 2014/2015?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
kv

Re: New Jane's album "Embrace the Darkness" coming 2014/2015

#51 Post by kv » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:06 pm

there is no way it was gonna be good...and juana said he listened to some of it and stopped...when it's shit why listen to the whole thing?...i did...i wish i hadn't...i wish i had stopped

i'm sure he listened to all of strays but by this point people know what they are gonna get in a jane's album

whats next gonna argue he should have listened to it twice ...it was his fav band after all why not twice? why not let it soak in? :crazy:

he didn't want to finish it because it sucked...final answer

Juana

#52 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:12 pm

kv wrote:there is no way it was gonna be good...and juana said he listened to some of it and stopped...when it's shit why listen to the whole thing?...i did...i wish i hadn't...i wish i had stopped

i'm sure he listened to all of strays but by this point people know what they are gonna get in a jane's album

whats next gonna argue he should have listened to it twice ...it was his fav band after all why not twice? why not let it soak in? :crazy:

he didn't want to finish it because it sucked...final answer
Yeah I did get thru half of each song after the first 3 but even if there was something interesting in the guitar textures the music still sucked overall. That perfect mix of punk/metal/goth/ledzep type of whatever they had going on during 1.0 is gone.

Kajicat

#53 Post by Kajicat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:27 pm

kv wrote:...juana said he listened to some of it and stopped...when it's shit why listen to the whole thing?
Because maybe he didn't like Curiosity Kills but would have really liked Splash a Little Water on It if he had made it that far? Sometimes an overall shitty record still has a couple nice gems, and sometimes they can even be found at the end of an album, so if you listen to the first 5 tracks but didn't give the last 5 a chance you could have missed out...ya never know. I have a valid point. :agree:
kv wrote:whats next gonna argue he should have listened to it twice ...it was his fav band after all why not twice? why not let it soak in? :crazy:
Actually that sounds pretty much perfect. :idea: Not a crazy idea, as you implied it to be. Sometimes I've had to listen to an album over 4 times before it finally clicks, then I'm super stoked that I gave it more chances because otherwise I would have missed out on an album that as it turns out is really enjoyable to me.

kv

#54 Post by kv » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:58 pm

i knew you wouldn't stop....see it didn't matter if he'd listened to it just once...you'd still go on

NYRexall

#55 Post by NYRexall » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:46 pm

That guy who started this thread is going to be crestfallen when he reads that Perry only has hopes for “5 shining gems” in his agenda :lol:

Mescal

#56 Post by Mescal » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:30 am

Kajicat wrote:
Mescal wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Juana wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Juana wrote:I haven't even made it all the way thru TGEA.
I find this so absurd. What is arguably your favorite band of all time puts out an album that you've talked and read about on a fan community board quite a bit leading up to its release, and yet you still can't take the time to at least make it all the way through the album ONCE to make your own conclusion.

It's so absolutely insane to me that some of you haven't even HEARD all of TGEA. So crazy. Jane's is easily one of your favorite bands of all time, who has an incredibly small catalog, and yet you haven't even heard their latest album but continue to come to a community board for that band.

Can't find the time to make it through a 40 minute album?

:crazy:
No the first 3 tracks sucked and I skimmed the others. I like Nothings Shocking which is one of my favorite records ever. I grew up surfing to that record. I saw them live for the first time in '97 on relapse but I have not liked anything that was put out except "Price I Pay" and the Hyperleak version of "True Nature". I gave it the best shot I could but they do not care to make music that brings me in, so why should I invest that 40 minutes when I know I will be disappointed?

I could instead listen to something that intrigues me and doesn't remind me that a band that made 3 great records, has fallen so far.
Red: You could easily listen to a 40 minute album in a long car drive if you drive, or if you commute to work either on your car stereo or on your iPod. 40 minutes of music ain't hard to cover. Heck, put it on in the background as you lounge around on the computer on this very website. You already know you're going to be disappointed - might as well at least hear why and build your own personal conclusion.

Blue: ANR and Xiola served as a constant reminder of how far this band and its members have fallen as writers and humans in general, so what's the big difference? This place does more daily reminding of how far Jane's has fallen than you listening to TGEA all the way through once ever will. I say make it through the album at least once, just so you're not parroting the others on this board.

OK I'll stop now...
Djies, TGEA is just a crappy record.

Whether you listen to it 1 or 100 times.

Why would you even bother listening to it? There are a gazillion better albums to spend 40 minutes of your life on
Because they're arguably your favorite band of all time...so why not take the 40 minutes it takes to actually listen to their latest album? An album that is now part of their extremely short discography. I listen to all kinds of music besides Jane's, and yet I was definitely able to give 40 minutes to TGEA. Do you people not put on music while hanging out at home? While browsing the internet? Do you just sit in silence during drives in the car? It's not hard. Put it on in the background while you're cooking, surfing the web, washing your car, folding clothes, taking a shit - whatever. Even though it can't hold a candle to NS or Ritual, I still find it to be highly listenable. NS and Ritual are perfect albums anyways so TGEA never really even had a chance to match that...anyone who had their hopes up for that was was delusional in the first place.

I'm just saying give it at least one listen all the way though since you're such a big fan of the band, and make sure not to blindly parrot what others say. Makes an awful lot of sense to me.
Well, I listened to it. Twice.

But, I agree what you say if you didn't listen to it once, you should, at least once :)

elbuitre

#57 Post by elbuitre » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:48 pm

NYRexall wrote:
Juana wrote:Anyone who thinks Eric wasn’t the creative lynchpin of this band needs their head examined. Everything good about this band happened while he was a member of it.
I still don't buy this hypothesis, regardless of how far Perry has fallen. Listen to Sadness, Meija, 100 Ways, Cursed Female and Hard Charger and tell me that Perry wasn't once a genius in his own right, without Eric's input. Eric was undoubtedly a massive influence on Jane's 1.0 but to say he was the creative lynchpin just doesn't stack up.

Matz

#58 Post by Matz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Ï agree, Eric and Perry were probably equally important when they wrote all those songs

Juana

#59 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:12 pm

elbuitre wrote:
NYRexall wrote:
Juana wrote:Anyone who thinks Eric wasn’t the creative lynchpin of this band needs their head examined. Everything good about this band happened while he was a member of it.
I still don't buy this hypothesis, regardless of how far Perry has fallen. Listen to Sadness, Meija, 100 Ways, Cursed Female and Hard Charger and tell me that Perry wasn't once a genius in his own right, without Eric's input. Eric was undoubtedly a massive influence on Jane's 1.0 but to say he was the creative lynchpin just doesn't stack up.
I didn't type this... here is the original quote, I keep thinking people are replying to me.
NYRexall wrote:
Juana wrote:The sad thing is at one point we were all like the OP now we just want Perry and co to hang it up..
I for one don’t want Parody Farrell to hang up Jane’s.

Hanging up Jane’s at this point isn't going to change anything. You can’t unring a bell. Even if he did bend to majority wish and put the band in the ground, we’d still rave about NS and Ritual and completely shit on everything he’s done with or without Jane’s for the last 15 years.

Anyone who thinks Eric wasn’t the creative lynchpin of this band needs their head examined. Everything good about this band happened while he was a member of it. The NINJA shows were the last gasp for what Jane’s was truly capable of being, even if Parody and his dopey wife did everything possible to capsize that run as well.

At this point, the hilarity of their output and live shows overshadows the band itself. I honestly can’t wait to see how they’ll humiliate themselves next.
Perry was pretty creative at one point but since 1996 what really has he done that has been great in terms of new music?

elportosurfer9

#60 Post by elportosurfer9 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:16 pm

Why does everybody still show up here? I actually really like TGEA, so there!

Juana

#61 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:24 pm

For the other parts of the board and to kill time while at work.

Kajicat

#62 Post by Kajicat » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Juana wrote:Perry was pretty creative at one point but since 1996 what really has he done that has been great in terms of new music?
I think this album is fucking solid. Not on the level of NS or Ritual of course, but still a great listen. Not as good as GGU either, but I love GGU as much as NS and Ritual anyways, so... :fear:

Juana

#63 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:51 pm

I just couldn't get into it, there were a couple of interesting tunes but I didn't dig that album much. I agree on NS and GGU

Tyler Durden

#64 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:01 pm

janesbiggestfan has inspired me to join Kickstarter so I can raise money to have the guys from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind erase the last 15 years of Jane's Addiction from my mind.

nausearockpig

#65 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Check out the second facebook comment by Matthew.... Lolz

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/janes- ... m-chicago/

Juana

#66 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:52 pm

nausearockpig wrote:Check out the second facebook comment by Matthew.... Lolz

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/janes- ... m-chicago/
Hey there are probably people that think that legitimately which is great more power to them.. but I would like some of the bud ole Matthew there is smoking.

LJF

#67 Post by LJF » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Kajicat wrote:
Juana wrote:Perry was pretty creative at one point but since 1996 what really has he done that has been great in terms of new music?
I think this album is fucking solid. Not on the level of NS or Ritual of course, but still a great listen. Not as good as GGU either, but I love GGU as much as NS and Ritual anyways, so... :fear:

2 songs at most are ok.

There's an interview out there and I think it's be on here somewhere that has Perry talking about how he no longer writes. Something like he doesn't have it in him anymore. He still had dreads is the interview. Am I right or just imagining this. If I'm right there's your answer.

cricket_bows

#68 Post by cricket_bows » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:50 pm

LJF

#69 Post by LJF » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:59 pm

cricket_bows wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gHiVl8ac1g

from 2:35-2:50
Thanks for finding that. There's your answer. Maybe since that point he has written a some good songs, but overall the spark went out along time ago.

JOEinPHX

#70 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:04 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:janesbiggestfan has inspired me to join Kickstarter so I can raise money to have the guys from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind erase the last 15 years of Jane's Addiction from my mind.
Lacuna, inc.

Mescal

#71 Post by Mescal » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:51 pm

elportosurfer9 wrote:Why does everybody still show up here? I actually really like TGEA, so there!
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Good one

NYRexall

#72 Post by NYRexall » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:15 am

Kajicat wrote: Image
This cover is bad. It used to just get worse every time I’d see it.

Now it makes more and more sense. It’s like he’s smoking a giant crack pipe while his creative essence gets blown out the back of his head.

nausearockpig

#73 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:44 am

NYRexall wrote: Now it makes more and more sense. It’s like he’s smoking a giant crack pipe while his creative essence gets blown out the back of his head.
I love that I lol'd when I read that.. I love you NYRexall

Tyler Durden

#74 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:48 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:janesbiggestfan has inspired me to join Kickstarter so I can raise money to have the guys from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind erase the last 15 years of Jane's Addiction from my mind.
Lacuna, inc.
:tiphat:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#75 Post by Hokahey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:33 am

SYTBS, born of Gobalee, had a number of good songs. Some beautiful melodies from Perry and soundscapes from Bjorks producer.

I think a lot of people tuned out because of the lyrics, but if you can accept or look past them you can certainly feel the spirit of GGU era Perry Farrell coming through.