another soulmate-listen here

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
trevor ayer

Re: another soulmate-listen here

#376 Post by trevor ayer » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:33 am

no 67 .. you are the fucking moron .. prince has put out about 30 records since his prime that make tgea sound like zoso .. buy one .. and feel the pain .. live he has moments but tends to muddle his show with old rnb covers sung by his back up singers .. which often sound worse than your local cover band doing the same exact songs .. which they will .. since it's shit like "play that funky music white boy" and sly stone classics .. crap you can hear a dozen bands all playing on the same night in new orleans .. or crap like "the arms of an angel" by sarah mclaughlin .. yeah shit like that and you are toting this guy as amazing .. if he is not butchering a 3rd of his set with crappy covers that he does not even sing .. he does cuts from his previously mentioned 30 records of crapola .. when he does do a classic or rare favorite deep cut .. it is usually about 30 seconds of the song or he sings one verse and "jams" on the rest of the song turning it into a one chord boring funk call and response act .. about a third of his show is actually good .. but it seems to be a matter of luck more than a decision to play his most respected material .. of which he could play a different 3 hour show 3 different nights and still never repeat a song .. so he has plenty .. and he knows what is good and what is pure rubbish .. but he sure likes to put a lot of rubbish in his shows .. most hardcore prince fans are more fed up with prince than the hardcore janes fans are with janes .. its tgea times 30 .. each consecutive album chipping away at any pride one once had in being a prince fan .. imagine 30 more records by janes and each one worse than tgea .. and they keep on coming without even a single song that reminds you why you like this artist in the first place .. i have a hard time believing anyone here has actually even bought 1 of prince records since 1990 .. so you are just talking out your ass .. as usual .. go back to your remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a trent song that sucked the first 20 times he wrote it :blah: :crazy:

Juana

#377 Post by Juana » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:48 am

I have Muscicology and Lotus Flower and like both of them and they came out after 1990. I also liked a good portion of Emancipation as well. Its tastes, I do not like everything the man puts out but each time I have seen him live he has put on a great show. If you want to hear certain songs then listen to the albums he has said many times he is going to play what he wants, so you know what you're getting when you go to one of his shows. Nothing more credible than that in my eyes, to tell the crowd they're probably not going to hear the songs they want to hear.

trevor ayer

#378 Post by trevor ayer » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:35 am

i am not saying prince sucks live at all .. it is more like .. if people went to see Jane's hoping to hear been caught stealing and janes says .. they would probably be happy and think janes was still a decent band .. but a hardcore janes fan would get sick of those songs and likely hates the newer stuff as it does not compare to the older stuff .. a casual fan may even cite "just because" as their favorite song .. same goes for prince .. since the question posed was regarding artists who have fallen as low as janes .. take a song like "we gets up" from emancipation and compare it lets say the b side "how come u dont call me anymore" .. they are just night and day as far as a quality tune goes .. same for say "dreamer" off of lotus flower .. dreamer is a voodoo chile knock off that is embarrassing .. however he has scorchers from his past that can stand next to voodoo chile that he wont play .. like "computer blue" .. or prince choice to play "purple rain" WITH NO GUITAR .. even tho "purple rain" contains perhaps his finest guitar melody and he is supposedly currently on a guitar themed tour right now .. i think the casual fan would enjoy the new songs and even a guitarless purple rain and think it was fun .. while the prince freaks are just shaking their head wondering what the hell happened .. i really enjoyed the janes show i saw this week .. i really enjoy prince shows .. when they are on they are on .. when they are off it is like nails stabbing my ears .. both janes and prince have some truly bad songs on their records .. prince just has more of them since he pops out about 4 records for every one or two decent songs these days

Juana

#379 Post by Juana » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:11 pm

Lotus Flower's "guitar" disc I would say is more of an homage to Jimi than a ripoff. It seemed to me he was making his version of Axis: Bold As Love. "Dreamer" can be cheesy but I think he did that song as a tribute because the solos are pretty decent.

Obviously you're a big Prince fan from what I can tell, the big difference I have noticed between the live shows of Janes/Prince is that Prince and the audience actually are excited to be there. Even though I do not pay for a lot of shows now I would pay whatever to see Prince. I wouldn't pay to see Janes.

Matz

#380 Post by Matz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Juana wrote:I also liked a good portion of Emancipation as well.
Emancipation is a masterpiece in my opinion. I also really love his Rainbow Children album from 2002 or something, actually I think that that and Emancipation are two of his very best albums

Artemis

#381 Post by Artemis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:18 pm

I was going to post that this is the worst song ever, but after not hearing it for years, I have to say, it's kind of humorous. :lol:

Juana

#382 Post by Juana » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:21 pm

I always found that song to be hilarious

JOEinPHX

#383 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Juana wrote:I have Muscicology and Lotus Flower and like both of them and they came out after 1990. I also liked a good portion of Emancipation as well. Its tastes, I do not like everything the man puts out but each time I have seen him live he has put on a great show. If you want to hear certain songs then listen to the albums he has said many times he is going to play what he wants, so you know what you're getting when you go to one of his shows. Nothing more credible than that in my eyes, to tell the crowd they're probably not going to hear the songs they want to hear.
The Rainbow Children was great too. That was when he had the jazz thing going on. He toured it and did small clubs playing jazz versions of his hits. It was phenomenal.

Juana

#384 Post by Juana » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:36 pm

I will check that one out I remember it had a bad ass cover but I replaced my stolen Sign O The Times instead.

Tyler Durden

#385 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:49 pm

Not sure if this has been posted. Prince recently covered "Even Flow":

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/prince-e ... r-mp3.html

trevor ayer

#386 Post by trevor ayer » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:43 pm

the rainbow children tour had some great moments .. the album sounds like darth vader reading a bible while playing with a vibrator .. i am definitely a prince snob and while i won't knock some of the favs noted .. i prefer the 1999 thru sign era with the revolution .. parade .. the family .. all the jazzier funky bits from that time .. mixed with the robot pop of classic prince by himself in a studio .. i hate when he reinvents his songs with lite elevator jazz overtones .. i especially hate renato who plays the most boring jazz piano i have ever heard all over the classic prince tunes .. the songs recorded around the sign o the times record .. the b sides and tunes that showed up on later releases are probably my fav .. there are only a handful of tunes that dont make me puke from "the gold experience" on .. when prince started rapping record sales dropped till he found a way to give away a free cd with concert tickets and have it count on billboard .. much like perry .. prince business sense excedes his musical output these days .. i like the kinda prince jazz on parade .. sheila e .. the family .. madhouse .. i cant stand the lite jazz of nuprince like rainbow .. news .. i think 'old friends for sale' (the album) was his best effort at a lite jazz feel that didn't have kenny g written all over it

Mescal

#387 Post by Mescal » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:59 am

It's actually not so different as three years ago.

You might wonder why they haven't crafted it better, given that it's three years old.

Why wasn't anyone bitching about this song then? (or did we? :noclue: )

bman

#388 Post by bman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:09 am

Last night it sounded very good. It is a little punker live and Perry was into it. It's also nice to see ANYTHING new at this point!

Tyler Durden

#389 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:14 am

Mescal wrote:

It's actually not so different as three years ago.

You might wonder why they haven't crafted it better, given that it's three years old.

Why wasn't anyone bitching about this song then? (or did we? :noclue: )

We did bitch about this crap song three years ago.

The reason the song wasn't crafted better is because the guys are lazy, hate each other, and are essentially a touring business venture, not a real band.

bman

#390 Post by bman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:02 am

Article mentions a Nothings Shocking anniversary celebration..Hmnnn..Maybe in Show pehaps!

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/08/j ... -soulmate/

creep
Site Admin

#391 Post by creep » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:12 am

bman wrote:Article mentions a Nothings Shocking anniversary celebration..Hmnnn..Maybe in Show pehaps!

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/08/j ... -soulmate/
and we get the lyric video

Pure Method

#392 Post by Pure Method » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:21 am

it actually gets worse every time I hear it. glad to hear the band is mixing it up a little night to night, though.

JOEinPHX

#393 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:04 pm

Official lyrics

I'm down with you baby
Down with ya honey
Yet another soulmate
Love to meet your latest
This one less regretful
Possibly your greatest
Twice your age
We all nicknamed him grandpa
He's so old
Anyone ever told you that you only get one per soul?
Oh ohh Whoa
Another soulmate
Where'd you go?
Oh my soul.
You go out to the parties
They're a hollywood mash
You enter looking fabulous
You leave there looking trashed
The one you're with now took you on a bumpy two month ride
He fucked you and stopped calling
and you always act surprised
Oh ohh Whoa
Another soulmate
Where'd you go?
Oh my soul
Yeah what she got that I ain’t got?
My soulmate makes me shoot my shot.
Oh Ohh Whoa
Another Soulmate
Where’d you go?
Oh my soul
Yeah what she got that I ain’t got?
I tell you she’s so hot
My soulmate makes me shoot my shot.

farrellgirl99

#394 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Obviously everything is wrong with those but i think i cringe the most at the grandpa lines and "it's a hollywood mash". who the fuck talks like that.

JOEinPHX

#395 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:42 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:Obviously everything is wrong with those but i think i cringe the most at the grandpa lines and "it's a hollywood mash". who the fuck talks like that.
No one. But a guy who can't write songs anymore will write things like that.

JOEinPHX

#396 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Actually, you know who wrote Another Soulmate?

The same guy who wrote this:

Pandemonium

#397 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:01 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:Obviously everything is wrong with those but i think i cringe the most at the grandpa lines and "it's a hollywood mash". who the fuck talks like that.
Perry being the clever dude that he is, had to come up with something that rhymed with "trash" and thought "Hollywood bash" was too obvious.

nausearockpig

#398 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:12 pm

oohhhh maaaan.... my interpretation is a lot better: "He fucked your ass, stopped calling and you always act surprised"
Six7Six7 wrote:Official lyrics...He fucked you and stopped calling and you always act surprised....

Pandemonium

#399 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:17 pm

bman wrote:Article mentions a Nothings Shocking anniversary celebration..Hmnnn..Maybe in Show pehaps!
Well, that's close to a month after this tour ends, so I think there's a very good chance they'll do a one-off show that same week in a small LA venue like The Roxy, Palladium or Wiltern to play the entire album. The only two songs they'd really need to really rehearse is Idiots Rule and Pigs in Zen (and maybe Thank You Boys, lol) as everything else is either played regularly or has been played as one-offs the last few years. I just think going on past history and the band's love of LA and the media attention something like getting a Hollywood Star (even though it's just a paid for shame these days) will get them (for a day, anyway), they'll exploit it for maximum effect.

Larry B.

#400 Post by Larry B. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:48 pm

We all nicknamed him grandpa
He's so old