another soulmate-listen here

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
NYRexall

Re: another soulmate-listen here

#351 Post by NYRexall » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:19 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote: I have a question though: are there any other bands that you can think of who have tarnished their legacy as much as Jane's? Or rather, bands that once occupied such a rarefied and untouchable place in music culture, only to fall so utterly and embarrassingly far?
*Cue Trevor and Hokagay's obligatory "Nine Inch Nails!! Nine Inch Nails!!!" response*

:deadhorse: :jerkit: :bored:

trevor ayer

#352 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:14 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
I have a question though: are there any other bands that you can think of who have tarnished their legacy as much as Jane's? Or rather, bands that once occupied such a rarefied and untouchable place in music culture, only to fall so utterly and embarrassingly far?
prince :neutral:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#353 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:44 pm

NYRexall wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote: I have a question though: are there any other bands that you can think of who have tarnished their legacy as much as Jane's? Or rather, bands that once occupied such a rarefied and untouchable place in music culture, only to fall so utterly and embarrassingly far?
*Cue Trevor and Hokagay's obligatory "Nine Inch Nails!! Nine Inch Nails!!!" response*

:deadhorse: :jerkit: :bored:
Welp, you said it. Me thinks you're obsessed son.

NYRexall

#354 Post by NYRexall » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:46 pm

With NIN?

Tell us something we don't already know.

NYRexall

#355 Post by NYRexall » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:49 pm

You know what else I'm obsessed with?

Ritual de lo Habitual, all over again.

Sweet christ, this album is still one of the best albums ever. Everything about it is just...perfect.

Why don't we just talk about that instead, all over again?

Hype

#356 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:01 pm

XXX is like a bad 80s Led Zepp cover band. :wiggle:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#357 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:03 pm

NYRexall wrote:With NIN?

Tell us something we don't already know.
No. With defending Trent Reznor. :lolol:

NYRexall

#358 Post by NYRexall » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Well DUH :noclue:

On the day Hesitation Marks is released, I'll be standing atop Mt. Fuji waving the Year Zero flag.

elbuitre

#359 Post by elbuitre » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:22 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:It's weird to me that we just keep going over the same topics over and over and over again. At this point we're almost like ghosts that don't know that they're dead.

Which is OK by me. I like you guys and this is a fine place for a haunting.

I have a question though: are there any other bands that you can think of who have tarnished their legacy as much as Jane's? Or rather, bands that once occupied such a rarefied and untouchable place in music culture, only to fall so utterly and embarrassingly far?

You can talk about the Pixies, but it doesn't compare. You can talk about Misfits, but they were never popular in their original incarnation. You can talk about Stone Temple Pilots, but they're basically assclowns who accidentally made a couple of good records. Who, dammit... who? (No, not the Who — they had a plenty long run before the fall.)
One of the all-time great posts.

Noonesshocking

#360 Post by Noonesshocking » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:35 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:You can talk about the Pixies, but it doesn't compare. You can talk about Misfits, but they were never popular in their original incarnation. You can talk about Stone Temple Pilots, but they're basically assclowns who accidentally made a couple of good records. Who, dammit... who? (No, not the Who — they had a plenty long run before the fall.)
Funny. Was actually thinking about the pixies last night, and why even though they may have overdone it playing the old stuff, I really don't think they fucked themselves NEARLY as bad as jane's. Even more amazing to me, I think they are poised for redemption, despite losing Kim. Bagboy got some mixed reaction, but live versions of other new songs have been road tested at some frank black solo shows this year and they sound extremely promising. Also, a studio clip of a new song called "blue eyed hex" got posted on their twitter today and that sounds fucking awesome too.

zendo

#361 Post by zendo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:51 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:

Rolling Stones? :noclue:

Pandemonium

#362 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:18 pm

zendo wrote:CaseyContrarian wrote:

Not even close.

Oasis
Guns n' Roses
Queen
INXS
Smashing Pumpkins
The Doors
The Who
The Misfits
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Van Halen (although they've redeemed themselves a bit in the last few years)

Tyler Durden

#363 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
zendo wrote:CaseyContrarian wrote:

Not even close.

Oasis
Guns n' Roses
Queen
INXS
Smashing Pumpkins
The Doors
The Who
The Misfits
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Van Halen (although they've redeemed themselves a bit in the last few years)
I agree with your list...but the latest "Smashing Pumpkins" album is excellent and a million times better than anything Jane's has done in 23 years.

CaseyContrarian

#364 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Oasis -- always kind of a joke; never really mattered in terms of cultural impact
Guns n' Roses -- definitely. 100 percent more of a wipeout than Jane's, and probably even more culturally significant at one point.
Queen -- kind of... Innuendo was almost a return to form, but they'd been on the decline even when Freddie was alive.
INXS -- pretty close. They were definitely popular, but did they ever really represent the Zeitgeist?
Smashing Pumpkins -- I would love to say totally to this, and I'm not a fan at all, but Billy's been a bit more focused lately.
The Doors -- A+ example of legacy FAIL
The Who -- they had too solid an initial run and made a fairly decent record even after Moonie died. The tarnishing is recent.
The Misfits -- never were popular enough in the initial run.
Lynyrd Skynyrd -- you got something here, but a plane crash that kills most of the key members is an automatic disqualifier.
Van Halen (although they've redeemed themselves a bit in the last few years) -- yeah, the Sammy/Cherone years just about destroyed their integrity, and DLR ain't doing them many favors these days. But still not as embarrassing as JA.

Trevor mentioned Prince, but he's always been mercurial, plus he's a monster live pretty much through and through.

Pandemonium

#365 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I agree with your list...but the latest "Smashing Pumpkins" album is excellent and a million times better than anything Jane's has done in 23 years.
I'm not a fan of the last album, but even I can say it's not crap and yes, better'n anything Janes has done the last 10 years. Where I say Pumpkins have been trashed is basically what Billy's done to the band with the look-alikes and how he carries himself (wrestling, etc). That band should have been on the creative and popular level of a Metallica, Cure, Depeche Mode etc at this point in their career but they're barely above Janes or The Cult.

Tyler Durden

#366 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:I agree with your list...but the latest "Smashing Pumpkins" album is excellent and a million times better than anything Jane's has done in 23 years.
I'm not a fan of the last album, but even I can say it's not crap and yes, better'n anything Janes has done the last 10 years. Where I say Pumpkins have been trashed is basically what Billy's done to the band with the look-alikes and how he carries himself (wrestling, etc). That band should have been on the creative and popular level of a Metallica, Cure, Depeche Mode etc at this point in their career but they're barely above Janes or The Cult.
I hear what you're saying. When I acknowledge all of the extraneous facets of the band, then yes...the band has been tainted. But based on the music alone, I think the Pumpkins are in a pretty good place (considering). I think Oceania is on par with Machina.

Pandemonium

#367 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:50 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote: Queen -- kind of... Innuendo was almost a return to form, but they'd been on the decline even when Freddie was alive.
The Who -- they had too solid an initial run and made a fairly decent record even after Moonie died. The tarnishing is recent.

Trevor mentioned Prince, but he's always been mercurial, plus he's a monster live pretty much through and through.
I don't have a problem with Queen putting out a few crap albums at the end of their career, it's what Brian May and Roger Taylor did bringing in Paul Rogers from Bad Company who was a poor fit the past decade and more recently, Adam Lambert and just about anyone else who'll front the band. BTW, Chris Chaney was approached to play bass in Queen a couple years ago.

The Who.... if they didn't hang it up after Keith Moon died back in 1979, they should have when John Entwistle kicked the bucket. There's very few bands I can think of who's drummer and bass player where such integral parts to the bands sound and identity. I know a lot of people that still love seeing Roger and Pete wheeze through the songs these days, but "hope I die before I get old" will never sting harder than when applied to the band who wrote that line. Fuck, when I saw them back in '82 on their "Farewell" stadium tour, they were already boring. I can't imagine what it's like now.

Tyler Durden

#368 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:04 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote: The Misfits -- never were popular enough in the initial run.
Popularity has nothing to do with it. No Glenn Danzig = No Misfits.

CaseyContrarian

#369 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote: The Misfits -- never were popular enough in the initial run.
But what I'm saying is that Jane's had the hot hand, culturally speaking. The Misfits' cultural impact didn't come until after the band broke up. So the squandering was all after the fact.

Tyler Durden

#370 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:19 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
But what I'm saying is that Jane's had the hot hand, culturally speaking. The Misfits' cultural impact didn't come until after the band broke up. So the squandering was all after the fact.
I hear you...but I don't think it's lessens the damage. Jerry Only took the Misfits corpse...raped it, shit on it, set it on fire, pissed on the ashes, and then smashed the urn that the ashes were kept in. It may have been long after the original incarnation, but he destroyed their legendary status.

CaseyContrarian

#371 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Not gonna argue with that assessment.

JOEinPHX

#372 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:30 pm

trevor ayer wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:
That's it. It's solidified. You're a fucking moron.

Prince puts on, still to this day, one of the best live shows I have ever seen that consists largely only of whatever the fuck Prince wants to play plus a 20 minute mashup of his greatest hits.

Go put out the money and see the man before he stops doing 3 hour shows that make panties wet and dudes cry. Idiot.

NYRexall

#373 Post by NYRexall » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:34 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:

Prince puts on, still to this day, one of the best live shows I have ever seen that consists largely only of whatever the fuck Prince wants to play plus a 20 minute mashup of his greatest hits.

Go put out the money and see the man before he stops doing 3 hour shows that make panties wet and dudes cry. Idiot.

Jammyshill

#374 Post by Jammyshill » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:42 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:

:lol:

Juana

#375 Post by Juana » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:49 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:

Having been at the SXSW show Prince has definitely not ruined anything. The man had the cops that came in to shut down the show dancing. His albums might be here or there but that motherfucker puts on the best show I have ever seen. I have seen him many times and my buddies in Grupo Fantasma were his touring band for a bit as well.