68%
the great escape artist
32%

Total votes: 47

Romeo

Re: strays vs. the great escape artist

#76 Post by Romeo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:11 am

where is the option for neither?

The only difference is I bought Strays. I didn't even bother downloading/buying etc... TGEA

Hokahey
Site Admin

#77 Post by Hokahey » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:16 am

I bought Strays at the midnight release. I downloaded TGEA. I won't say from where. :bigrin:

I left off ETTL. That is the Superhero of TGEA for me.

JOEinPHX

#78 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:47 am

hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:I would disagree with sonny.

Dave clearly made both those albums. He got his "rock god" out on Strays, and went into his more textural spacy stuff on TGEA, but they were both written by him.

In fact Dave was the one who commented on DM that he would spend all day at the studio turning knobs until someone came in and told him to stop, and we all know Perry just did his vocals in his home studio with Etty.

Both albums are Dave's albums.
Except we know Perry brought in Underground as a mostly finished tune. Interestingly it's the best song on the album.

As much as I think Sonny is a goon I agree with his assessment.
Underground is the ONLY song he brought in.

And it's not the best song on the album, lyrically or musically.

Hype

#79 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:09 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
hokahey wrote:

Dave clearly made both those albums. He got his "rock god" out on Strays, and went into his more textural spacy stuff on TGEA, but they were both written by him.

In fact Dave was the one who commented on DM that he would spend all day at the studio turning knobs until someone came in and told him to stop, and we all know Perry just did his vocals in his home studio with Etty.

Except we know Perry brought in Underground as a mostly finished tune. Interestingly it's the best song on the album.

Hoka likes it... A bunch of people here like that weird U2-sounding shit. I don't. I wish Perry would stop trying to be the Jewish Bono... it's awful. He could totally work with his voice in a way that suits it... but no... we get this shit:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#80 Post by Hokahey » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:27 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
hokahey wrote:

Hoka likes it... A bunch of people here like that weird U2-sounding shit. I don't. I wish Perry would stop trying to be the Jewish Bono... it's awful. He could totally work with his voice in a way that suits it... but no... we get this shit:

Seemed to me there was a pretty broad consensus on it being the best song on the album. :noclue:

Hype

#81 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:33 am

That might be true. A lot of people here liked To Match the Sun, too. I still say Perry really needs to stop trying to sing like Bono. :scared:

Matz

#82 Post by Matz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:13 pm

hokahey wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
hokahey wrote:

Seemed to me there was a pretty broad consensus on it being the best song on the album. :noclue:
IF is the best one imo, pretty effective song

JOEinPHX

#83 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:31 pm

Dave's contribution to the album:

Petty's contributions to the album:

Keep up the great work, Petty. :eyes:

Hype

#84 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:44 pm

To be fair, Dave's guitar tone on both albums bugs the shit out of me for the most part... which doesn't absolve Perry at all, except that my not liking either album isn't entirely his fault.

Pandemonium

#85 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Dave's contribution to the album:

That's (the guitar) actually Billy Duffy's contribution to the album.

Regarding AS's comments about Dave's tone, I agree, but he's never really had that distinctive or especially a "warm" tone to begin with. For the most part, it's always been processed hard rawk guitar with varying degrees of reverb/echo to give it a fuller sound. The last album, he certainly went for a few more oddball effects but I've always been able to recognize and appreciate Dave's sound more due to his playing, especially his solos than any tone he gets out of any the of guitar or amp rig he plays.

The last album, he was saying how he was using all sorts of exotic guitars and amps to get "new" sounds but for the life of me, I couldn't pick out what type of guitar or amp he's using on any given song unlike a player like Pete Townsend or even The Edge who despite often using a shitload of effects, I can pretty accurately hear he's playing a Tele, Strat, a Les Paul, and SG, a hollow body electric or whatever on a majority of U2's songs.

Hype

#86 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:22 pm

What I loved about young Dave's playing on the first three JA albums and early live stuff was generally not the tone at all, but the excellent use of scales and space in ways that had a ton of feeling in them (despite what some gearheads I know think, the tone is really secondary).

Matz

#87 Post by Matz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:12 pm

it's important in the sense that having a great tone that really inspires you make you play much better things usually...but when that's said, I know what you mean about the gearhead syndrome, I know quite a few people like that and they're pretty laughable most of the time.

The thing is that it's easier to get to know a lot about the 'right' cables and cirquitry and modded amps and all that kind of bullshit than it is to sit down with your instrument and create a cool style. So when they can't create cool music they choose the next best thing in their minds which is geeking out on gear and yacking on about it all day long....of course there are also people who create a cool style AND know a ton of stuff about gear. Eddie Van Halen is the finest example of a guy like that ever

Hokahey
Site Admin

#88 Post by Hokahey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:24 am

Other than some twiddling around on a few acoustics at different points in my life I know nothing about the technical aspects of a guitar and how it's played.

That said, my very laymans observation about Dave is that I miss his shredding. When I first got in to Jane's they were the polyrhythmic drumming, banshee singer, pounding repetitve bass lines and Dave just shredding on top of it all. I loved how Dave and Perry almost seemed to be ripping the songs apart while Eric and Steve held it down. The controlled chaos that epitomized the band in various ways.

Now they sound very structured and bland. Everything is pieced together neatly.

Even during their most epic songs there were only moments of quiet reflection before the whole thing would usually take off and go wild again.

Essence_Smith

#89 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:57 pm

We've now been reduced to comparing two shitty JA albums...all time low... :lol:

JOEinPHX

#90 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:We've now been reduced to comparing two shitty JA albums...all time low... :lol:
Disagree.

Remember when everyone was fighting about whether Satellite Party or The Panic Channel's album was better? :lol:

kv

#91 Post by kv » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:28 pm

lets be honest have the last two jane's records been much better then sat party or panic channel?

Hype

#92 Post by Hype » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:43 pm

kv wrote:lets be honest have the last two jane's records been much better then sat party or panic channel?
Nope. Just Because was a single more people liked than any of the other stuff... But it all sounds more or less equivalently bad to me.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#93 Post by Hokahey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:48 pm

kv wrote:lets be honest have the last two jane's records been much better then sat party or panic channel?
For me, without a doubt.

A couple of 4 or 5/10 albums are better than 2 or 3/10.

kv

#94 Post by kv » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:09 pm

but not much better...as i said

all 4 fit neatly in my "i don't care to ever listen to" pile

JOEinPHX

#95 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:15 pm

By leaps and bounds.

kv

#96 Post by kv » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:21 pm

i'll give ya a hop

Matz

#97 Post by Matz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:16 pm

not here: I'm rankin em

1 Strays (by far)
2 Sat party
3 Panic
4 TGEA

Larry B.

#98 Post by Larry B. » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:09 pm

Matz wrote:
not here: I'm rankin em

1 Strays (by far)
2 Sat party
3 Panic
4 TGEA
Really? I rank Shitterlight Panties and TPC way below The Greatest Gay Parties.

Matz

#99 Post by Matz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:21 pm

good for you....mine is the correct order :nod:

Larry B.

#100 Post by Larry B. » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:39 pm

Matz wrote:good for you....mine is the correct order :nod:
In Mistakeville it is.