Perry Farrell on Jay Mohr Podcast

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Matz

Re: Perry Farrell on Jay Mohr Podcast

#26 Post by Matz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:23 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
panicparty wrote:Anyhow, to delete a long rambling post and try something more concise, doesn't anyone see a contradiction between what made Jane's great first time around (like: mixing things up to create something genuinely new and exciting) and people (including Eric A it seems) who think that it would be perfect if they sounded exactly the same as they did twenty years ago?

For all its flaws, I think TGEA would have been much, much weaker if Eric had stuck around, vetoing anything that sounded too modern because "it doesn't sound like Jane's (did in 1986)".
What I think many people believe is that Eric would have hopefully given the music a darker, edgier vibe then what Janes wound up doing with Perry firmly in the drivers seat. I don't think anyone actually wanted a Ritual pt2 or NS2 but something that at least in spirit and quality came close to what those albums achieved. At the very least Eric would have helped Perry with some of the more cringe-worthy lyrics. I'm not convinced the end product would have come within striking distance of their original music even with Eric fully involved but I believe it would have at least been a more compelling album than what they did without him. As it's been noted, there *was* some interesting stuff that at least Dave was putting together in the studio that is nowhere to be found on the album. But Dave seemingly content to be a passenger in the band, TGEA wound up being another Perry project... with guitars.
'
I just listened to four or five songs from TGEA and didn't like any of it. It's lifeless and boring, it doesnt' move me at all. Immediately after that I listened to three songs from Strays and it was way better. It's far from Ritual and Zeppelin II but their songwriting skills then were on a much higher level and they still had some of the magic left, the same magic they all had so much of in the nineties. Except for Chaney, not sure he was ever magical, very skilled guy though. And after that I listened to Then She Did and that of course kills everything

Pandemonium

#27 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:14 pm

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote: At the very least Eric would have helped Perry with some of the more cringe-worthy lyrics.
no way perry would let someone do that or most lead singers.

perry talked a lot about using technology in making new music in that interview. i think that is the main problem with the band. go back to basics...get four guys in the same room and start jamming. that is the only thing that could have made this work but that is not how it's done theses days.
I certainly agree the last record and to a lesser extent Strays lacked the organic live in the studio Ritual had on many of it's tracks.

Noonesshocking

#28 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:22 pm

If they couldn't get past ONE chord in embrace the darkness like perry says in this interview, an album with Eric would've taken longer than Chinese democracy

:banana:

Pandemonium

#29 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:If they couldn't get past ONE chord in embrace the darkness like perry says in this interview, an album with Eric would've taken longer than Chinese democracy

:banana:
LA Diplomacy

clickie

#30 Post by clickie » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:46 am

I finally got around to listening to this interview after all these years. Perry's great sense of humor really comes out in this one. Sounds like Jay Mohr was a real superfan of jane's saying their the best live show he's ever seen and all that. I had heard about that zeppelin concert in Tampa 1977 Perry mentions when they only played 3 songs then suddenly left because bad weather and a riot broke out. Had no idea Perry was at that show, pretty gnarly but what a bummer! Anyways here's the interview again since I bought it up it and then audio from the zeppelin show Perry talks about. It's sad hearing about how Perry was already second guessing himself immediately within days after breaking up Jane's.

kv

#31 Post by kv » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:35 am

decade old, necro post :banghead:

clickie

#32 Post by clickie » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:03 pm

Yeah there's been time periods of entire years where I skipped over all jane's or perry related interviews that must've been one of them.

It came up on my youtube thing because for some reason I was watching this last night :lol: