Six7Six7 wrote:Dave Matthews
:jasper:

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Perry's latest Facebook status update

#102 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: great songs that people liked to listen to while sitting on the grass drinking a beer. Which is how music should be.

Wish there was a similar kind of thing going on now. There isn't.
:neutral: :no:
Sorry, I'm just not into Dave Matthews band and Phish.

I do understand that there are bands out there doing the summer amphitheater thing every year, but I don't like any of them. :lol:
My question was in regards to saying music should consist of great songs that people liked to listen to while sitting on the grass drinking a beer.

Just not how I'd describe the kind of music I wish was being made I suppose.

JOEinPHX

#103 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Listen, I love music that rocks faces and makes me want to kill someone just as much as the next guy, but a nice night under the stars sitting on the grass at an amphitheater is just damn awesome. That was my only point. We need more bands who bring that kind of vibe.

kv

#104 Post by kv » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:57 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Listen, I love music that rocks faces and makes me want to kill someone just as much as the next guy, but a nice night under the stars sitting on the grass at an amphitheater is just damn awesome. That was my only point. We need more bands who bring that kind of vibe.
no we need a lot less bands like that imho

Hype

#105 Post by Hype » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:48 pm

kv wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Listen, I love music that rocks faces and makes me want to kill someone just as much as the next guy, but a nice night under the stars sitting on the grass at an amphitheater is just damn awesome. That was my only point. We need more bands who bring that kind of vibe.
:oldtimer: KV is right. You people should just go listen to AC/DC.

Tyler Durden

#106 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
kv wrote:
:slap: Pre-1980 AC/DC is the shit...and one of the most influential rock bands of all time.

kv

#107 Post by kv » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
kv wrote:
hell no people should stay out of arenas

blackula

#108 Post by blackula » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:23 pm

kv wrote:
Amphitheaters are for Phish where everyone's high out of their mind, American idol tours, and nostalgia sets. Speaking of which, has the AIC/JA tour been cancelled yet? Is it going on now? Yeah, and fuck hootie and STP, bad top 40 crap. Weiland is a fucking phony.

JOEinPHX

#109 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:10 pm

blackula wrote:
kv wrote:
Amphitheaters are for Phish where everyone's high out of their mind, American idol tours, and nostalgia sets. Speaking of which, has the AIC/JA tour been cancelled yet? Is it going on now? Yeah, and fuck hootie and STP, bad top 40 crap. Weiland is a fucking phony.
Amphiteaters are great. They remind me of summer.

blackula

#110 Post by blackula » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Seated, overpriced and awkward sounding. I'll take a club show any day. Anyway, I looked up tickets for Janes and fake Alice; 128 per ga ticket plus 50 extra bucks to get a VIP pass to get access to the tent that sells overpriced beer. 356 for my wife and I to see Janes from the same vantage point I'd have in a club with a beer. Stubhub had VIP packages for 170-200 for 2. I'm guessing that by the time Aug 18 comes around people will be giving away these tickets. What a sad time for Jane's.

clickie

#111 Post by clickie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:42 pm

If seeing Janes with a fake alice doesn't float your boat maybe you'll find fake stp more appealing.. :hehe:

blackula

#112 Post by blackula » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Lol. I guess death puts Alice on top of the fake band credibility list. Layne Staley is dead, therefore he can't make it. Scott Weiland is just a phony cheeseball.

tubro

#113 Post by tubro » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
NYRexall wrote:I saw Hootie when they were touring their second album in the summer of '96 (I think)

It wasn't bad. I got stoned in the parking lot before and it was a pretty chill experience. At one point, a fight broke out next to me. Some guy punched this girl for who knows what reason. The girl's boyfriend's arm was in a cast, and he straight clubbed the other guy over the head with it. The guy went down like he was shot.

That was probably my favorite song of the evening...the sound of that dude's cast echoing off that guy's head. He punched a girl and therefore asked for it. Fucking pussy.

Met Darius Rucker about two years ago when I was covering one of his USO appearances. He's a real nice guy. Very down to earth, even though he's sold about 20 million records.
That was the tour I saw them.

That band was just... I don't know... honest. They blew up because the songs were good and for no other reason. Kind of reminds me of Tom Petty. Not musically, but that it was made by a bunch of dudes who weren't the best looking, but just made great songs that people liked to listen to while sitting on the grass drinking a beer. Which is how music should be.

Wish there was a similar kind of thing going on now. There isn't.
there is. Cracker. and their step-sister Camper Van Beethoven. and the few times a year they play on the same bill, sheer brilliance. great players. enough punk mentality to make it rock your face off. alt-country before it was called that and better than any of what is called that. (suck my dick, mumford and all of your sons. beck? you too.) david lowery is also a fucking smart dude. what he writes is well worth reading. they play in clubs for 25 bucks tops. and they text book rock balls.
plus if you really do like that sweet smell of pot, beer and armpit sweat that can only mean its summer on the shed circuit, cracker seems to join a tour and make a few bucks in slot 3 every summer. past few years they've done shows on the last summer on earth barenaked ladies tour with the likes of ben folds and guster, righteous bands all i guess but none of them interest me. cracker, on the other hand. very underappreciated bunch.

oh and they're out the next few weeks from CA thru AZ thru TX, with CVB, so if you're there, take my word for it, and pays yo 20 bucks.

MYXYLPLYX

#114 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:47 pm

tubro wrote:
oh and they're out the next few weeks from CA thru AZ thru TX, with CVB, so if you're there, take my word for it, and pays yo 20 bucks.
Playing on the beach tomorrow night in Santa Cruz for free.

http://www.beachboardwalk.com/concerts/#Cracker

:wave:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#115 Post by Hokahey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:32 am

clickie wrote: Image
Pathetic. I never thought Jane's would end up playing nostalgia bills with contemporaries that are barely the band they're still named after.

On a related note, I just looked it up and see the AIC tour starts 8/9? I had no clue if it was already going on or not. Sad times.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#116 Post by Hokahey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:38 am

Just checked tickets for the tour opener and there are still pit tickets available. That is crazy to me. I'm not sure Ive ever been to a show where those didnt sell out in minutes. I wonder if the tour will even happen. I cant imagine them playing these sheds and the pit section isnt even full.

Hype

#117 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 am

It wouldn't be a loss if it didn't happen... that lineup is awful. If you're going to have nostalgia acts, you've gotta put some current big name on the ticket... Why not Kings of Leon? :wiggle:

bman

#118 Post by bman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:57 am

That's crazy that there are still Pit tickets available! I've seen no promotions for this at all anywhere. Jane's Addiction should be playing with COOL bands like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, or a band like New Order or Depeche Mode.

WOW. There are tons of tickets available for CT and NY. Lots of Pit tickets too. Sad. I hope this doesn't get scrapped. They need to cut the openers and get another band with a following on the bill.

tvrec

#119 Post by tvrec » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:25 am

The VIP promotors were on Mike's site a while ago pushing their package experience. Lots of money for very little--they said they like to promise low and deliver big (a line he probably took straight from Perry). I picked up lawn seats when there was a Groupon offer. If that is not sad enough, I still don't know if I will actually go when the time comes.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#120 Post by Hokahey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:56 am

tvrec wrote:said they like to promise low and deliver big (a line he probably took straight from Perry).
This is an old mantra in the sales industry. It's usually "under promise and over deliver." Except it's supposed to be unpsoken.
I picked up lawn seats when there was a Groupon offer. If that is not sad enough, I still don't know if I will actually go when the time comes.
Understandable.

I watched some live footage last night of AIC and their "new" singer. Ive obviously heard him before, but never watched live footage. Very underwhelming. He doesnt seem to understand the role he should be taking on. This is a dark and brooding band. He seemed like a contestant that won the job to front the band. He's very eager. Lot's of "yeah, let's go!'s" Disappointing.

You shouldn't be yelling "come on!" right before "..in to the flood again" unless you're clueless about the song.

Juana

#121 Post by Juana » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 pm

bman wrote:That's crazy that there are still Pit tickets available! I've seen no promotions for this at all anywhere. Jane's Addiction should be playing with COOL bands like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, or a band like New Order or Depeche Mode.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

You honestly think any of the bands you listed would want to be on the bill with the train wreck that is Jane's now? I know you love them and all but I mean you can't be in that much denial can you?

NYRexall

#122 Post by NYRexall » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:18 am

clickie wrote:If seeing Janes with a fake alice doesn't float your boat maybe you'll find fake stp more appealing.. :hehe:

Ahahaha! "Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Bennington"? Are you shitting me?? That's hilarious! :lol:

LJF

#123 Post by LJF » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:52 am

NYRexall wrote:
clickie wrote:If seeing Janes with a fake alice doesn't float your boat maybe you'll find fake stp more appealing.. :hehe:

Ahahaha! "Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Bennington"? Are you shitting me?? That's hilarious! :lol:

He should front all of the bands, not a fan of his but it might attract more people.

Hype

#124 Post by Hype » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:07 am

There is a new generation of teenagers now who don't remember Linkin Park, nor care. Seriously. There's a whole new set of shit out there (i.e., it's not 1999-2009 anymore). He was that decade's Davey Havok, more or less.

Kids today are into... LMFAO... and Macklemore... whoever the fucklemore that is... :confused: But most people most of the time are into shitty music. It's our job as cool people to talk shit about these shitty bands until other members of the message board get angry and quit. :waits:

Pandemonium

#125 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:48 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:There is a new generation of teenagers now who don't remember Linkin Park, nor care. Seriously. There's a whole new set of shit out there (i.e., it's not 1999-2009 anymore). He was that decade's Davey Havok, more or less.

Kids today are into... LMFAO... and Macklemore... whoever the fucklemore that is... :confused: But most people most of the time are into shitty music. It's our job as cool people to talk shit about these shitty bands until other members of the message board get angry and quit. :waits:
I have a hard time imagining young people just getting into music now who will have what is currently out there be their Led Zeppelin, Bowie, Doors, Janes, Bauhaus, Clash, U2, Nirvana etc generation defining band when they grow old. It's like the future holds ...what... up there in your 40's going out to see the epic Muse reunion?