Lots of money + Youtube = Viral video

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Lots of money + Youtube = Viral video

#1 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:14 am

According to Perry anyway.

http://www.q98.com/Rock-News--November- ... pid=277885
Jane’s Addiction is hoping to create a special video for “Splash a Little Water on It,” a track from their latest album, The Great Escape Artist. Frontman Perry Farrell says that while he has a concept in mind for the video, he just needs to find the money to make it.

“I’ve been trying to get the money to do a video for [‘Splash a Little Water on It’],” the singer tells ABC News Radio. “It’s not going to be a radio single, it’s going to be, hopefully, a viral video piece that you’re be able to see on YouTube and all the other great places where people look at and view music today.”

Farrell notes that the song’s lyrics deal with the consequences of partying too hard. “’Splash a Little Water’ is about a couple who notoriously stay up very, very late and then at the same time they’ve got these obligations,” he explains. “So, you get yourself up and you get yourself over to the bathroom mirror and you splash a little water on your face and see if you come alive, try to get your mind working.”

Farrell previously told ABC News Radio that the band will be heading into the studio sometime this month to begin working on a new “body of music that would be maybe 45 minutes long.”
Because when i think "viral video", i always think "corporate funded music video about multi-millionaire Hollywood C-list couple who flies private jets and drinks too much champagne", not "guy who falls off roof and lands on head via shaky fliphone camera"

Anyone wanna explain the internet to Perry one of these days? The guy has seen a little too much Dobel, and not enough Reddit. :lol:

kv

Re: Lots of money + Youtube = Viral video

#2 Post by kv » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:50 am

i am almost starting to wonder if perry is punking us... :lolol:

Noonesshocking

#3 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:08 am

Surely, this interview must've been pre-dobel. I bet they will fund the making of the video as long as perry goes back and re-records some of the lyrics: "we've been drinking dobel and smoking til 4,5,6 in the morning".

SR

#4 Post by SR » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:42 am

'Where people look at and view music'

:sui:

Deconstruction

#5 Post by Deconstruction » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:14 am

Noonesshocking wrote:Surely, this interview must've been pre-dobel. I bet they will fund the making of the video as long as perry goes back and re-records some of the lyrics: "we've been drinking dobel and smoking til 4,5,6 in the morning".
SPLASH A LITTLE DOBEL ON IT....AND SEE IF IT COMES ALIVE!

I hope the video happens, it'd probably be unintentionally funny as shit.

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:46 pm

Deconstruction wrote:
Noonesshocking wrote:Surely, this interview must've been pre-dobel. I bet they will fund the making of the video as long as perry goes back and re-records some of the lyrics: "we've been drinking dobel and smoking til 4,5,6 in the morning".

Kind of like Resistable Force was? That computer generated bullshit was amazing.

Deconstruction

#7 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:33 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:

Kind of like Resistable Force was? That computer generated bullshit was amazing.
lol I remember your gifs from it, like 'sassy shoulder' and wussy. I'd love to see them again.

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:48 am

Deconstruction wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:

lol I remember your gifs from it, like 'sassy shoulder' and wussy. I'd love to see them again.

Deconstruction

#9 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:08 am

lol, what was he thinking

CaseyContrarian

#10 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:22 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:

The Sassy Shoulders gif was a gift to humanity.

creep
Site Admin

#11 Post by creep » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:31 pm

apparently perry is now getting paid to tweet. the guy hasn't tweeted in a month and a half and then we get this today.
The Farrell’s rocked it out for Hyundai in the latest issue of @RollingStone. Your family can too http://rol.st/Ty2ErV #MyFamilyRocks

Noonesshocking

#12 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:02 pm

I love those hyundais cuz they never break down
What can you say when you don't drive a Hyundai?

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:I love those hyundais cuz they never break down
I've got a 2013 Elantra and I think it's a fucking lawnmower.

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:31 pm

creep wrote:apparently perry is now getting paid to tweet. the guy hasn't tweeted in a month and a half and then we get this today.
The Farrell’s rocked it out for Hyundai in the latest issue of @RollingStone. Your family can too http://rol.st/Ty2ErV #MyFamilyRocks
Have the Farrells made some bad investments or something?

What's with Perry's sudden corporate sponsorships?

Hype

#15 Post by Hype » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:40 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Reliable, though! And I like the styling on the new Elantras (and Sonatas)

SR

#16 Post by SR » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:44 am

Pandemonium wrote:
I have a '12, but mine's a sewing machine. I hope it runs forever. :hehe: I opted for it over a Mercedes E 350 and damn glad I did.....I'd feel like a total douchebag in the latter.

trevor ayer

#17 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:19 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
creep wrote:apparently perry is now getting paid to tweet. the guy hasn't tweeted in a month and a half and then we get this today.

It's amazing what being a complete sell out can do to your reputation ... even with all the bad music and ruining Jane's Addiction, I still had a couple ounces of respect for Perry and a wee bit of hope that things could improve .. now with the sell out overload all I see is complete douchebag and I have Zero hope that any of his new 60 songs (yeah right) is going to be anything but pure shit. Perry is a complete sell out and no one will ever care about his music again. He will be known as lollapalooza founder and the guy on the twilight soundtrack. Asshole.

blackcoffee

#18 Post by blackcoffee » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:29 pm

trevor ayer wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

It's amazing what being a complete sell out can do to your reputation ... even with all the bad music and ruining Jane's Addiction, I still had a couple ounces of respect for Perry and a wee bit of hope that things could improve .. now with the sell out overload all I see is complete douchebag and I have Zero hope that any of his new 60 songs (yeah right) is going to be anything but pure shit. Perry is a complete sell out and no one will ever care about his music again. He will be known as lollapalooza founder and the guy on the twilight soundtrack. Asshole.
I could care less about this stuff. I can separate Perry doing a Dobel sponsorship from what I remember of him. Most of the musicians we listen to are certainly in it for the art, but hope to live off of it as well. Sometimes that means doing what Perry is doing.

Essence_Smith

#19 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:04 pm

People are very quick to forget that Jane's BROKE UP AT THEIR PEAK...imo they didn't get the millions of dollars that many others they paved the way for did back in the day...so if they do things we consider shitty in 2012 to pay the bills and feed their families/children, etc (ones they didn't have in 1991) I am the last guy who's gonna complain...people are FAR to quick to judge what these guys are doing...take issue with the music and I'm with ya, but as far as endorsements, etc, I'd do it too if I were a working musician today...after all its not like people are out buying cds...

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:19 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:People are very quick to forget that Jane's BROKE UP AT THEIR PEAK...imo they didn't get the millions of dollars that many others they paved the way for did back in the day...so if they do things we consider shitty in 2012 to pay the bills and feed their families/children, etc (ones they didn't have in 1991) I am the last guy who's gonna complain...people are FAR to quick to judge what these guys are doing...take issue with the music and I'm with ya, but as far as endorsements, etc, I'd do it too if I were a working musician today...after all its not like people are out buying cds...
http://www.lollapalooza.com/

:noclue:

If it were Dave, Perk, or Eric selling out I could see your point.

But it's not. It's the guy who is the only guaranteed millionaire in the bunch.

It's Mr. Champagne. It's Mr. Private Jets.

blackcoffee

#21 Post by blackcoffee » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:People are very quick to forget that Jane's BROKE UP AT THEIR PEAK...imo they didn't get the millions of dollars that many others they paved the way for did back in the day...so if they do things we consider shitty in 2012 to pay the bills and feed their families/children, etc (ones they didn't have in 1991) I am the last guy who's gonna complain...people are FAR to quick to judge what these guys are doing...take issue with the music and I'm with ya, but as far as endorsements, etc, I'd do it too if I were a working musician today...after all its not like people are out buying cds...
http://www.lollapalooza.com/

:noclue:

If it were Dave, Perk, or Eric selling out I could see your point.

But it's not. It's the guy who is the only guaranteed millionaire in the bunch.

It's Mr. Champagne. It's Mr. Private Jets.

Mr. Private Jets.

You're funny 6767. You crack me up.

Essence_Smith

#22 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:51 pm

As far as selling out goes, I think the whole notion is :bs:
Personally speaking my experience is that if you have mouths to feed you do what you think is best to do that...and there are certain bands and musicians that did so much in the way of "pure" art in their formative years that they get a pass from me for being so called sell outs later on in their careers...Jane's is a band I let off the hook, the Peppers are another...Metallica...hell if Trent Reznor decided to form a boyband I wouldn't get mad...these guys have earned that right imo...stop drinking the Haterade already. No one's lifestyle and or business decisions need to suit what you feel is acceptable...talk shit about the music and we're good...

SR

#23 Post by SR » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:53 am

:bs: I go the other way. The vast majority of mucisians do not 'sell out' because they either can't or won't. It really is a select few who have the broad appeal to be optioned for their piece of the consumerism pie. It really is a variation on the GBS quote....those who can, might. And because of the rare nature of those who are offered a piece of this shit pie, they already have done fairly well. Whoes. They choose to schill.....I choose to judge them harshly for it. SUCK SATAN'S COCK.

Romeo

#24 Post by Romeo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:02 am

I agree with SR.

It's like a artist licensing their art for everything from a iphone cover to toilet paper. It cheapens the art.

At least Keith Haring licensed his art for charitable causes (like Schneider's childrens hospital & GMHC)

Pure Method

#25 Post by Pure Method » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:08 am

Romeo wrote:I agree with SR.

It's like a artist licensing their art for everything from a iphone cover to toilet paper. It cheapens the art.

At least Keith Haring licensed his art for charitable causes (like Schneider's childrens hospital & GMHC)
is it really so different from an artist licensing their work for a giant record company?