The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Artemis

Re: The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

#381 Post by Artemis » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:58 pm

rockout wrote: 3. Curiosity Kills: Song Yet to Be Sung vocals on verse. The chorus is bad on two levels: pop harmonics & yet fails to settle on a hook. I love the clean guitar sound on the breakdown, but the guitar solo is boring. Song not worth the effort in producing.
The chorus is the reason I can't stand this song. It's a song I would skip over.

nausearockpig

#382 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:53 pm

I just bought the double CD.

For anyone in Australia, JB HiFi has it for $24.99, single is $19.99... the section of the insert where the credits are is a little hard to read.

There's no mention of Duff in the main credits bit though he's mentioned on Ultimate Reason, Broken People and Words Right Out Of My Mouth...
Pic in the middle is OK, it's Jane's...

Inside pic a shot of "the band" with Dave and Perry looking up at the mother ship, Chaney looks like he's living the good life and Stephen looks like his sunnies are painted on. gold..

There's a "Thanks" section from Perry, Dave, Stephen and The Band.. soooooo.... Chris is "in the band" but not in the band when it comes to having his own "Thanks" section... lol

leviticus

#383 Post by leviticus » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Artemis wrote:
rockout wrote: 3. Curiosity Kills: Song Yet to Be Sung vocals on verse. The chorus is bad on two levels: pop harmonics & yet fails to settle on a hook. I love the clean guitar sound on the breakdown, but the guitar solo is boring. Song not worth the effort in producing.
The chorus is the reason I can't stand this song. It's a song I would skip over.
One of my top three :noclue:

Pandemonium

#384 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:16 pm

nausearockpig wrote:Inside pic a shot of "the band" with Dave and Perry looking up at the mother ship, Chaney looks like he's living the good life and Stephen looks like his sunnies are painted on. gold..
The "mothership?" WTF?!?

JOEinPHX

#385 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:18 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:Inside pic a shot of "the band" with Dave and Perry looking up at the mother ship, Chaney looks like he's living the good life and Stephen looks like his sunnies are painted on. gold..
The "mothership?" WTF?!?

Shhhhh, ignore. Just listen to the music. :essence:

Artemis

#386 Post by Artemis » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:18 pm

leviticus wrote:
Artemis wrote:
It seems to be one of the more popular songs that people like.

JOEinPHX

#387 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:20 pm

Artemis wrote:
leviticus wrote:
Artemis wrote:
It seems to be one of the more popular songs that people like.
i dig it.

There is something about this album.

I think Perry's melodies were better on strays, but for some reason the simplicity works better on this album. I think maybe because Dave held back on the guitar. It's more about the simple layered sound and straight forward lyrics and melodies. It all just compliments each other.

nausearockpig

#388 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
The "mothership?" WTF?!?
Y'know, cos the band members and their behaviours are all so crazy that the only possible explanation is that they are receiving messages from their alien mothership. They have kinda fruity looks on their faces.. and they're not wearing aluminum foil hats soo.....

I say this without listening to the album yet.. That's tonight... Just me, a few beeries and my headphones....

Warped

#389 Post by Warped » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Artemis wrote:
Funny thing, i just woke up with this "Curiosity kills" chorus in my head and was asking myself WTF...must be something about that song. :lol:

Warped

#390 Post by Warped » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:34 am

Finally got the cd in my hands ( i bought the double cd because it was for the same price as the single one).
Second disc contains live stuff from Vive Latino festival and it has my most loved song on it "Superhero" :no:

Nice simple booklet, but the letters are so tiny and small that i can hardly read it - even with my glasses on :oldtimer:
There's only the bands picture which was on the i-tunes streaming site, no other pics of the band.
They all have their "thank you" section except Chaney.. :lol:
I really like the "JA" symbol on the back cover.
Oh and first thing my hubby noticed was Perry's package... :lolol: (he hadn't seen the cover before).

Tyler Durden

#391 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:48 am

Warped wrote: They all have their "thank you" section except Chaney.. :lol:
That's what he gets for thanking Carly Simon in the Strays liner notes.

I've got nothing against Carly Simon...but still.

autumnan

#392 Post by autumnan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Hello all, first post since xiola, thought I'd resurrect this thread with my two-penneth...

You know what, I've bought the tunes I liked the sound of most first. I had 'IF' already so that one didn't count, but these were the ones that grabbed me:

Twisted Tales
Splash A Little Water On It
Broken People
Words Right Out Of My Mouth

From what most people are saying these are the least popular. I think I'm embracing the lightness!

So far there are two things that characterise this record for me:
1. Catchy melodies
2. Fancy studio work

Enjoying it more than I thought I would - wasn't very impressed with ETTL (seemed a bit 'cut&paste' and lyrically childish) and the spoken bits of IF are weak but perhaps they serve to support the big chorus better.

Someone said early on they thought things might sit better in the context of the whole album and that is my impression of ETTL and IF, but if anything I'm digging the end of the album more than the beginning at present.

:heart:

Hope you're all happy in your varioius Friday nights

Everybody's Friend

#393 Post by Everybody's Friend » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:29 pm

FINALLY just got my cd in the mail.

Thanks a fucking ton, amazon. Last time I pre-order through you.

:flip:

Looking forward to actually listening to this now....have only heard IF so far...

JOEinPHX

#394 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Everybody's Friend wrote:FINALLY just got my cd in the mail.

Looking forward to actually listening to this now....have only heard IF so far...
Keep us up to date. You missed everyone else liveblogging the stream. haha

Artemis

#395 Post by Artemis » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:

I think that added to the total experience. It's the reason for this new peace and love vibe around here.Do you agree, my dear Six7Six7? :lol:

Everybody's Friend

#396 Post by Everybody's Friend » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:

Oh, I've skimmed the reviews...wanted to wait to get the actual disc in hand to listen to it all the way though properly. :wiggle:

JOEinPHX

#397 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Artemis wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

I think that added to the total experience. It's the reason for this new peace and love vibe around here.Do you agree, my dear Six7Six7? :lol:
For sure. I love e-hanging out with you guys.

We should do stuff like that more often.