The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
guysmiley

Re: The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

#341 Post by guysmiley » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:56 am

I have to admit. Its growing on me. Maybe because Im just a janes fan. The first half of the album is pretty good. I might change my mind yet again.

Matov

#342 Post by Matov » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 am

all i'm saying is Thank you boys

cursed male

#343 Post by cursed male » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:14 am

I like the new album a lot more than Strays but I'll reserve my final judgement for later.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#344 Post by Hokahey » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:38 am

Underground and IF are proper Jane's songs IMO, more so than anything on Strays. They sound like Jane's, and they're easily two of my favorite songs.

The rest of the album is going to require multiple listens. It's like discovering a new band. I'm not sure what to make of their sound but I'm intrigued enough to come back to it.

That being said, upon first listen last night I was very disappointed. I've letting it play over and over in my car and headphones today though and I'm surprised to find it's growing on me. I guess once my ears stopped expecting Jane's Addiction on the remaining tracks it became easier to like.

JOEinPHX

#345 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:56 am

hokahey wrote:Underground and IF are proper Jane's songs IMO, more so than anything on Strays. They sound like Jane's, and they're easily two of my favorite songs.

The rest of the album is going to require multiple listens. It's like discovering a new band. I'm not sure what to make of their sound but I'm intrigued enough to come back to it.

That being said, upon first listen last night I was very disappointed. I've letting it play over and over in my car and headphones today though and I'm surprised to find it's growing on me. I guess once my ears stopped expecting Jane's Addiction on the remaining tracks it became easier to like.
Just try to imagine that Jane's had made more albums in the 80s and early 90s. A lot of the sounds on this record show influence to those times. It's kind of like they are going back to where they came from, even though they weren't there at the time. Know what i mean? Back when music sounded like that, they didn't. So now they are re-exploring their roots and embracing it.

Hype

#346 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:58 am

hokahey wrote:Underground and IF are proper Jane's songs IMO, more so than anything on Strays. They sound like Jane's, and they're easily two of my favorite songs.

I really disagree with the first part... but only because they don't really sound like JA to me... maybe you're hearing something I'm missing. I really hate Irresistible Force... it's an annoying song... like U2's Elevation.
I totally agree with the second part, except that I wasn't exactly disappointed, I called it a "pleasant surprise" in that they finally gave me something I couldn't compare to old JA and go "Well, that just sucks." Instead, I was able to hear new sounds and things that were reminiscent of other bands, and that was just cool. Like listening to a new album from a great band should be.

theprofessor

#347 Post by theprofessor » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:14 pm

I think the album is great. It is not the cataclysmic follow-up to Ritual that I hoped for 20 years ago - neither was Strays - but I've listened to this album three times now and I like it.

That is...I really like everything up until Splash a Little Water On It. Everything seems to work and built very well until then. With the last three songs the album takes a weird turn into another place.

Weren't these last three the songs co-written with Duff? Wasn't the decision to include them made after the album proper with Sitek was already being written?

If that is true then it seems that the first 7 songs make a pretty awesome return of Jane’s - an EP of sorts - with those final three songs tacked on as curious bonus tracks.

That's at least what it sounds like to me.

Suckerpunch

#348 Post by Suckerpunch » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:20 pm

I am interested to know which ones were written when Duff was briefly in the band too. We know for sure that 'Broken People' was one of them but beyond guessing, does anyone know the other two?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#349 Post by Hokahey » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:28 pm

This is just like when Hypersonic came out. MOST people were pretty happy with it. We'll see. I don't hear what most of you seem to be hearing.

Even the band concedes IF is their most "Jane's" sounding song. If you take out the vocals it could have come off of Ritual. They've compared it sonically to Then She Did. That's a stretch, but I get what they're trying to say. It has that epic feel. That big sonic burst. Dave's guitar is vintage Jane's and Perks rythmic drumming shines more on this track than any other. Nothing on Strays sounds that way. I can understand not digging the vocals/lyrics on this song, but in terms of pure atmosphere and sonics it oozes JA.

Underground sounds almost exactly like Jane's. Perry's vocal melody on the verses reminds me of how he would speak/scat/sing on songs like No One's Leaving and Standing in the Shower. Obviously it's sonically different, but it sounds more like how perry used to approach singing. Lyrically it's very Jane's. And it rocks.

Everything else sounds like a new band to me.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#350 Post by Hokahey » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:29 pm

Suckerpunch wrote:I am interested to know which ones were written when Duff was briefly in the band too. We know for sure that 'Broken People' was one of them but beyond guessing, does anyone know the other two?

Splash has to be one. I'll be shocked if not. Sounds a lot like Use Your Illusion era Guns to me.

crater

#351 Post by crater » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Gave it a listen this morning and while I didn't think it was all bad, it also didn't do anything for me either.

I was bored during most of it and by the time it finished I was thankful it was over with. I'm glad some people here seem to dig it, but other than Underground, it's not something I'll be listening to again any time soon.

Japhy

#352 Post by Japhy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Adding absolutely nothing new here... but just want to say that i'm still loving this record. So many break-downs, subtle changes, beeps and squiggles that keep me interested on every lesson.

Brilliant.

tcrock

#353 Post by tcrock » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:57 pm

so, this is where some of the xiolans have migrated to......lol. Anyways i think i missed the streaming opportunity.....not going to bang my head against the wall to get it...goin as old school as I can ...like hearing it in its entirety on the day it's released.......and going check them out live that night in NYC. (the whole Hyperleak thing ruined the Strays release for me) I'm encouraged to hear some fairly positive reviews here and not the usual suspects clamoring on about everything "wrong" they can find.......although I see a few are still around. sounds like it wil be an interesting and entertaining listen.

Japhy

#354 Post by Japhy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:02 pm

still streaming on itunes mate... i'll look for the direct link if you want it - can't remember which thread it's on right now.

wally

#356 Post by wally » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:41 pm

crater wrote:Gave it a listen this morning and while I didn't think it was all bad, it also didn't do anything for me either.

I was bored during most of it and by the time it finished I was thankful it was over with. I'm glad some people here seem to dig it, but other than Underground, it's not something I'll be listening to again any time soon.
agreed. unfortunately.

Hype

#357 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:45 pm

I *hate* that "Hustler" part of Underground. It's right off Strays. :jasper:

JOEinPHX

#358 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I *hate* that "Hustler" part of Underground. It's right off Strays. :jasper:
His vocabulary probably hasn't changed much in 20 years.

He was like 30 in the 80s and 90s.

How hip is he going to be at 40 and 50?

Hype

#359 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I *hate* that "Hustler" part of Underground. It's right off Strays. :jasper:
His vocabulary probably hasn't changed much in 20 years.

He was like 30 in the 80s and 90s.

How hip is he going to be at 40 and 50?
Old Jews can be hip... or... break them... :bored:

cursed male

#360 Post by cursed male » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Suckerpunch wrote:I am interested to know which ones were written when Duff was briefly in the band too. We know for sure that 'Broken People' was one of them but beyond guessing, does anyone know the other two?
The tracks written with Duff are:

- Broken People
- Words Right Out of My Mouth
- Ultimate Reason

http://www.billboard.com/news/inside-th ... 5212.story

JOEinPHX

#361 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:22 pm

cursed male wrote:
The tracks written with Duff are:

- Broken People
- Words Right Out of My Mouth
- Ultimate Reason

http://www.billboard.com/news/inside-th ... 5212.story
Those are the 3 songs i like the least.

Damn you Duff.

kv

#362 Post by kv » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:32 pm

ahh was wondering which were duffs, ya duff sucks!

JOEinPHX

#363 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:46 pm

i seriously have no problems with the other 7 songs on the album. Those are the 3 i skip.

They should have kicked Duff out sooner.

nausearockpig

#364 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:i seriously have no problems with the other 7 songs on the album. Those are the 3 i skip.

They should have kicked Duff out sooner.
But Duff was such a seamless fit.

But they and duff grew up together.

But it's a natural thing for them to play together

But it's so exciting to come into a band and learn new songs and fit right in.

Jasper

#365 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:37 pm

I didn't want to like it, but Ultimate Reason turned out to be a pretty great track, despite the fact that it's got a very pop kind of chorus, and some lame lyrics in the chorus as well - specifically the "she's right here beside me" part. That's just way too obvious and cliche sounding and uninteresting. Sure, it may be true, but it's more like a Brian Adams lyric or something.

Otherwise the song is pretty cool, because it's catchy, it's got some of the long-missing Eastern spice, and there are a lot of interesting musical details.