The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:55 am

Well, just under 6 weeks before the album is officially released. I would imagine we will be seeing the album cover and a track list within the next 2 weeks. These days, it seems record companies are pretty good at keeping the lid on leaks; at least for the majorly highly anticipated releases (has the new RHCP leaked yet?)...so we might not hear TGEA until a week before it officially comes out.

Who would have thought things would have gone this way...from the band saying in '03 that they were planning a follow-up to Strays within the next year or two...to breaking up and releasing (ONe) and UltraPayloaded...to reuniting (with Eric!), touring with NIN, and finally releasing the boxset...to Duff's Addiction...to where we are now.

Does anyone remember all of the working titles for songs over the past 2 years?

Laughing Beats (Eric sessions)
Bring the Darkness (Eric Sessions)
Cling to Her (or was it called Protect Her or some shit)
Soulmate (Duff sessions)
Oh, Magic (Duff sessions)
Top Dog (Duff sessions)

Were there others? Obviously, none of the Eric songs will be on the album...but who knows, maybe a Duff song will be on it. :hehe:

creep
Site Admin

Re: The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

#2 Post by creep » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Tyler Durden wrote: Does anyone remember all of the working titles for songs over the past 2 years?

Juana

#3 Post by Juana » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:30 pm

I think it will leak earlier than you think because its not highly anticipated I doubt Capitol is planning on this thing to be a monster like WB is betting on RHCP.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:47 pm

I'll hit choo back? :scared:

Juana

#5 Post by Juana » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:55 pm

hokahey wrote:I'll hit choo back? :scared:
Think its just a drum interlude it does just say (DRUM) next to it

Tyler Durden

#6 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:56 pm

hokahey wrote:I'll hit choo back? :scared:
Yeah, apparently when Eric heard that title, he then suggested calling the song "Bubbly Brown Stuff".

SR

#7 Post by SR » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:22 pm

OK. I've listened to the two trax.

I'm sorry. Both suck. I.F. works better for me, but again it sounds like a someone else wrote it for highly polished group of players.

I.F. leads with a BASS LINE. :lolol:

Ok, please. :eyes:

End to the Lies is decent, and just decent.

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:47 am

i like that ETTL and Irressistable Farce have totally different vibes. They almost don't sound like they should be on the same album together... which is what was awesome about Jane's 1.0.

It might not be a metal song next to a punk song like in the past, but as long as the musical styles are all over the place it will at least be tolerable (assuming of course lounge music and whatever the fuck Satellite Petty is are avoided)

Matz

#9 Post by Matz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:08 am

I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest of the songs.

bman

#10 Post by bman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:55 am

Very excited to hear the rest of the songs..But I was also very excited to hear Satellite Party too...This is a make or break record for all these guys. I think they let Costey and Sitek decide everything. I REALLY hope it's good, and not just polished U2 with some rock thrown in. It's getting to the point where I think Perry and Pete playing surf accoustic jams is better. I loved how they did the Hendrix song at Lolla. I know Perryz lyrics and voice has changed. But part of the problem is Dave too. He's just not a songwriter. So far I still like The Solotionists by SP better than these 2 songs!

Bandit72

#11 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:22 am

Six7Six7 wrote:i like that ETTL and Irressistable Farce have totally different vibes. They almost don't sound like they should be on the same album together... which is what was awesome about Jane's 1.0.

It might not be a metal song next to a punk song like in the past, but as long as the musical styles are all over the place it will at least be tolerable (assuming of course lounge music and whatever the fuck Satellite Petty is are avoided)
I think you're right. I like both songs. But one appeals to me more than the other dependant upon what kind of mood I'm in. From those two songs and the snippets I've heard I think it'll piss all over Strays. What I don't want is an epically shit 8 minute track because they feel the need to put one on. I am quietly confident. I get the impression it will be a "dark" album. Not as "poppy" as certain songs on Strays if you know what I mean. That doesn't work for them.

Tyler Durden

#12 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:41 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:i like that ETTL and Irressistable Farce have totally different vibes. They almost don't sound like they should be on the same album together... which is what was awesome about Jane's 1.0.

I think you're right. I like both songs. But one appeals to me more than the other dependant upon what kind of mood I'm in. From those two songs and the snippets I've heard I think it'll piss all over Strays. What I don't want is an epically shit 8 minute track because they feel the need to put one on. I am quietly confident. I get the impression it will be a "dark" album. Not as "poppy" as certain songs on Strays if you know what I mean. That doesn't work for them.
I'm not a fan of Strays...but so far, I think there are some songs on Strays that blow "Irresistible Force" (and to a lesser degree "End of the Lies") out of the water. Specifically, "Price I Pay", "The Riches", and "Strays".

I'm hoping that "Irresistible Force" is the "Superhero" of the album.

imail724

#13 Post by imail724 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:57 am

So is it to be assumed that "Another Soul Mate" won't be on the album? I liked that song and listened to the boot of it a bunch of times.

Tyler Durden

#14 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:02 am

imail724 wrote:So is it to be assumed that "Another Soul Mate" won't be on the album? I liked that song and listened to the boot of it a bunch of times.
I think it was said that the band scrapped everything they had worked on with Duff...but I suppose you never know.

Jasper

#15 Post by Jasper » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:14 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
imail724 wrote:So is it to be assumed that "Another Soul Mate" won't be on the album? I liked that song and listened to the boot of it a bunch of times.
I think it was said that the band scrapped everything they had worked on with Duff...but I suppose you never know.
I believe it was said that they'd "radically reworked" the song w/ Dave Sitek, so it might be there, but it probably won't sound like the same song. I think that's a good thing, as I'm pretty sure we collectively dismissed the song when we heard the live Duff version. Sounded like generic rawk.

JOEinPHX

#16 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Jasper wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
I believe it was said that they'd "radically reworked" the song w/ Dave Sitek, so it might be there, but it probably won't sound like the same song. I think that's a good thing, as I'm pretty sure we collectively dismissed the song when we heard the live Duff version. Sounded like generic rawk.
Yeah i can't imagine asking him to change it would go well.

Dave: Hey Duff, do you mind playing that like...
Duff: I was in Guns n Roses.
Dave: Oooooook. It's just that...
Duff: Guns
Dave: ...i think we need to...
Duff: N'
Dave:...change the vibe of the song a bit. Are you even listening to me?
Duff: Roses.
Dave: You're fired.
Duff: Izzy Stradlin.
Dave: Get the fuck out of my studio!
*15 minutes later Perry Skypes the studio*
Perry: Hey, where's Duff?
Dave: I fired him.
Perry: ...
Perry: Doooo you want me to ask Etty to play bass?
Dave: :confused:
Dave: *does heroin*
*Elsewhere in LA*
Trent Reznor: *pollishing his oscar and golden globe*

Tyler Durden

#17 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Six7Six7 wrote: *15 minutes later Perry Skypes the studio*
:laugh:

Juana

#18 Post by Juana » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: *15 minutes later Perry Skypes the studio*
:laugh:
:lolol:

Yeah I think Duff would have been okay with changing things though since he came up in a punk background. The problem I think is that they're wanting a hit song or single that will make their album sell and bring them back. I wonder if Dave/Perry forgot what made them special in the first place.

I personally don't expect another NS or RDLH but I do think they can at least stick to their roots and make an album that shows them. I don't even mind the electronic elements because they were present on KW on the "new" songs. But I do mind as they have aged they have turned into "whores"

JOEinPHX

#19 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:54 pm

i think that having 1 bass player for the album would have sucked.

No one wants 10 Duff punk bass songs.

i think it's unfortunate that Eric and Duff songs got scrapped. They should have used the best of each, plus Sitek songs, plus Chaney songs.

It would be more well-rounded that way.

Hell, i am a bit pissed they didn't just finish the Eric songs. It's not like they didn't rape his basslines without credit on Kettle Whistle. What's so different now?

Juana

#20 Post by Juana » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:06 am

Yeah I agree with that I was just saying I doubt Duff was the ultimate problem with those songs.

Should just do like you said and use a bunch of bass players or maybe Perry could swallow his pride and make amends with Martyn... yeah never going to happen.

Warped

#21 Post by Warped » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:26 am

I am really looking forward to the album. I like both new songs a lot and i expect this to be a million times better than Strays - though i don't hate it, i just don't listen to it all. :noclue:
I also hope the album art will be good.

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:31 am

Juana wrote:Yeah I agree with that I was just saying I doubt Duff was the ultimate problem with those songs.

Should just do like you said and use a bunch of bass players or maybe Perry could swallow his pride and make amends with Martyn... yeah never going to happen.
i think Perry would have no problem apologizing to Martyn. He doesn't believe he is the problem so reaching out would mean nothing to him.

Martyn on the other hand probably hates the dude and will for a very long time.

If PFP ever gets back together, expect to see Watt on bass.

Tyler Durden

#23 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:49 am

Juana wrote:I doubt Duff was the ultimate problem with those songs.

Eric B.

#24 Post by Eric B. » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:02 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Juana wrote:Yeah I agree with that I was just saying I doubt Duff was the ultimate problem with those songs.

i think Perry would have no problem apologizing to Martyn. He doesn't believe he is the problem so reaching out would mean nothing to him.

I don't know if the hate is that big. Martyn played with Perry on his 50th birthday bash/perrypalooza thing. What better way to get back to him than spoiling his party by not showing up. He didn't do that. Besides it's not like Martyn has a lot of other stuff to do. If Perry calls he'll jump that wagon immediatly.

Tyler Durden

#25 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:05 am

Eric B. wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

I don't know if the hate is that big. Martyn played with Perry on his 50th birthday bash/perrypalooza thing. What better way to get back to him than spoiling his party by not showing up. He didn't do that. Besides it's not like Martyn has a lot of other stuff to do. If Perry calls he'll jump that wagon immediatly.
I agree. Martyn has publicly stated that he would never collaborate with Perry again...but actions speak louder than words.