9/26/12 Dave in Conversation with Damien Echols

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
tvrec

9/26/12 Dave in Conversation with Damien Echols

#1 Post by tvrec » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Just saw this posted, for those in the LA area who might be interested.

Dave will be in conversation with Damien Echols (of West Memphis Three infamy), to be held at UCLA Freud Playhouse, 9/26/12. Details at link--

http://www.booksoup.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2666

Artemis

Re: 9/26/12 Dave in Conversation with Damien Echols

#2 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Wow I have no memory of this case. :hs:

I'm curious to read the book now.

I wonder why DN was chosen to do the interview?

Lokus

#3 Post by Lokus » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Artemis, listen to the CBC Q interview with him, it's quite interesting. I vaguely remember hearing about the case, but I learned a lot about it from that interview.

SR

#4 Post by SR » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Apparently he and depp got matching tats recently. :balls:

I know nothing of this story, but when celebs get involved in matters where people have lost their lives and in this case little children, it's a bit unsettling. Compounding it is this chapter of the story is primarily profit motivated.

It would be nice to see a portion go to scholarship in the children's names.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/entertai ... pp-himself

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Artemis wrote:Wow I have no memory of this case. :hs:
that's odd. maybe it's more of an american thing but with all the musicians and celebrities that were all over this case i figured everyone had heard about it. :noclue:

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:24 pm

creep wrote:
that's odd. maybe it's more of an american thing but with all the musicians and celebrities that were all over this case i figured everyone had heard about it. :noclue:
i listened to that interview lokus suggested and found out that there is a documentary called West of Memphis that was shown at the recent film festival here. johnny depp was even in town for it. i have a vague recollection of all of this but i guess i didn't pay attention, or follow what was happening. :noclue:

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:29 pm

damien echols also tattooed dave :noclue:

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:34 pm

SR wrote:Apparently he and depp got matching tats recently. :balls:

I know nothing of this story, but when celebs get involved in matters where people have lost their lives and in this case little children, it's a bit unsettling. Compounding it is this chapter of the story is primarily profit motivated.

It would be nice to see a portion go to scholarship in the children's names.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/entertai ... pp-himself
"If Depp plays Echols in the movie version of the book and it’s an acclaimed critical success, it might just heal his wounded artists’s soul bringing attention to and working on something he deems to be very worthwhile and passionately believes in after years of selling himself to Disney?"

BWAHH-HAHAHAHAHAHA! Gimme a fuckin' biscuit.

Seriously, this case has resulted on one of the biggest "celebrity" outpourings of support to get the verdict over turned and these three freed. I know of the benefit album with a bunch of diverse artists contributing and I believe DRI put out a complete compilation album on their behalf as well. Here's the track by Killing Joke that was on the WM3 cd:

tvrec

#9 Post by tvrec » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:20 pm

The case became extremely well known through one of the earliest HBO documentaries, Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hills:

It was through this doc that the case garnered a lot of celebrity attention, driven in large part by the prosecution narrative of devil worship / satanic ritual typified by the three teenagers' interest in heavy metal. It was a few years after the height of the PMRC nonsense, yet the reverberations were still extremely present in the prosecutorial assumptions as with the general public.

Since the original film, HBO has released two more documentaries, the latest of which was this year.

Disturbing, yes, but watching them through the course of the case--all of its sloppy, prejudicial missteps--and you'll quickly understand the reason so many people have tried to lend weight to the public dialogue concerning the fate of Echols, Misskelley, and Baldwin.

Desri

#10 Post by Desri » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:46 pm

creep wrote:
The only reason I ever heard about this case was when, I think Eddie Vedder, did stuff for it. I don't think it was that huge a thing outside of the united states. I found a few articles from closer to when it happened but definitely not ongoing, widespread coverage where I'm from.

SR

#11 Post by SR » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:19 pm

tvrec wrote:The case became extremely well known through one of the earliest HBO documentaries, Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hills:

It was through this doc that the case garnered a lot of celebrity attention, driven in large part by the prosecution narrative of devil worship / satanic ritual typified by the three teenagers' interest in heavy metal. It was a few years after the height of the PMRC nonsense, yet the reverberations were still extremely present in the prosecutorial assumptions as with the general public.

Since the original film, HBO has released two more documentaries, the latest of which was this year.

Disturbing, yes, but watching them through the course of the case--all of its sloppy, prejudicial missteps--and you'll quickly understand the reason so many people have tried to lend weight to the public dialogue concerning the fate of Echols, Misskelley, and Baldwin.
I don't dispute their innocence, but this does make clearer the celebrity interest as it is a tangible case and therefore example of the worst possible sum of tippers efforts against artists. the innocence project has bountiful offering of many similar causes that they aren't clammoring to champion.

Pure Method

#12 Post by Pure Method » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:10 am

um...the innocence project is woefully underfunded and only takes a tiny percentage of the cases they receive each year...they are not a sufficient solution to wrongful conviction, just a very meaningful drop in the pond.

thoreau

#13 Post by thoreau » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:25 am

Desri wrote:
creep wrote:
The only reason I ever heard about this case was when, I think Eddie Vedder, did stuff for it. I don't think it was that huge a thing outside of the united states. I found a few articles from closer to when it happened but definitely not ongoing, widespread coverage where I'm from.
Henry Rollins also released a benefit album for the cause:

SR

#14 Post by SR » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:26 am

Pure Method wrote:um...the innocence project is woefully underfunded and only takes a tiny percentage of the cases they receive each year...they are not a sufficient solution to wrongful conviction, just a very meaningful drop in the pond.
Um, ok. That's useful information that I am sorry to learn.....but how does it invalidate my point? Maybe it wasn't meant to. :hs:

SR

#15 Post by SR » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:28 am

All the more reason for more celebrity involvement there....

Desri

#16 Post by Desri » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:14 pm

thoreau wrote:
Desri wrote:
creep wrote:

Cool. I definitely don't doubt the impact of this case in United States, and I have read it about it erratically in local press, I just find it fascinating how rarely high profile cases maintain the same profile outside their nation of origin. There are always one or two very well covered 'international' cases a year, but for the most part the concept of justice seems to vary widely from nation to nation, there is probably even more variation regionally in culturally diverse countries like the United States.

Pure Method

#17 Post by Pure Method » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:34 pm

SR wrote:All the more reason for more celebrity involvement there....

we might be agreeing, I can't tell. I just think any attention to the reality of wrongful conviction is good. sure, celebrities don't know shit, but it's not like they are proposing a new tax system.

creep
Site Admin

#18 Post by creep » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Desri wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Desri wrote:
creep wrote:

Cool. I definitely don't doubt the impact of this case in United States, and I have read it about it erratically in local press, I just find it fascinating how rarely high profile cases maintain the same profile outside their nation of origin. There are always one or two very well covered 'international' cases a year, but for the most part the concept of justice seems to vary widely from nation to nation, there is probably even more variation regionally in culturally diverse countries like the United States.
where are you from?

Desri

#19 Post by Desri » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:11 pm

creep wrote: where are you from?
Australia. I figured you could work that out from my IP.

creep
Site Admin

#20 Post by creep » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Desri wrote:
yeah but i don't really want to abuse that power i guess. either that or i was too lazy to do it.

Desri

#21 Post by Desri » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:25 pm

creep wrote:
Desri wrote:
yeah but i don't really want to abuse that power i guess. either that or i was too lazy to do it.
Haha that is very responsible of you. There is so much crap of mine online anyway what you get from my IP would be completely insignificant.

Unrelated I now have the most posts I've ever had on any forum. :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#22 Post by creep » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Desri wrote: Unrelated I now have the most posts I've ever had on any forum. :lol:
post counts is a very embarrassing subject for me. this is the only one i post at though if that counts for anything.

Desri

#23 Post by Desri » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:00 pm

creep wrote:
Desri wrote: Unrelated I now have the most posts I've ever had on any forum. :lol:
post counts is a very embarrassing subject for me. this is the only one i post at though if that counts for anything.
There, there. It's not so bad.

tvrec

#24 Post by tvrec » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:36 pm

If any of you listen to The Moth podcast (available through iTunes, as well as other places I presume), there is a recent episode (approx. 14 min.) featuring Echols. The podcast is free...

crater

#25 Post by crater » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 pm

tvrec wrote:If any of you listen to The Moth podcast (available through iTunes, as well as other places I presume), there is a recent episode (approx. 14 min.) featuring Echols. The podcast is free...

You can listen to that here http://tunein.com/topic/?topicId=41378095