Advice

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Artemis

Re: Advice

#26 Post by Artemis » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 am

I think PF is most comfortable in a snazzy suite and killer shoes.

Lokus

#27 Post by Lokus » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:29 am

The story in the first video, which I'd never heard before, about the shower stall pool full of fruit, champagne and girls was pretty funny/cool.

bman

#28 Post by bman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:58 am

I remember Perkins telling that story once.

Hype

#29 Post by Hype » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:57 am

I think Perry's actually pretty good in those "interviews". That Rita girl seemed alright, too, but that Karmin shit... those people are terrible... very little content. I think he asked Etty to join them because that "conversation" was so weak to begin with and he was probably trying not to accidentally make fun of them for being lame. :lol:

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:58 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I think Perry's actually pretty good in those "interviews". That Rita girl seemed alright, too, but that Karmin shit... those people are terrible... very little content. I think he asked Etty to join them because that "conversation" was so weak to begin with and he was probably trying not to accidentally make fun of them for being lame. :lol:

:confused: It's the same derivative schlock as Nicki Minaj. It's entirely possible that their story of "Youtube"-first is a sham, sorta like the XXX JA record wasn't really "indie". (I could totally see record labels taking the "Justin Bieber" framing and just applying it to various garbage cookie-cutter shit that 15 years ago would've gone the Britney Spears route, but now needs an extra hook..."youtube-to-famous" is a way of still feeding people the same old pop garbage in the new media climate...)

So is that Rita girl's music...

:confused:

farrellgirl99

#31 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:19 am

I know no one is going to agree with me here. Nicki Minaj may be a headcase/asshole but she has put out some great songs/verses. And actually has talent when she decides to use it. And any woman who raps "if you wasn't so ugly, id put my dick in your face" and then drops into a falsetto singing "dick in your face, put my dick in your face" is pretty awesome.

Hype

#32 Post by Hype » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:25 am

:lol: Her vocal in that "Monster" thing is like a female ODB.

Maybe some of these folks have talent... I don't really know, or care, but if they're releasing dumbed-down derivative detritus they deserve to die. :wiggle:
Last edited by Hype on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

farrellgirl99

#33 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:26 am

I honestly think sexism has a lot to do with it but :noclue:

Hype

#34 Post by Hype » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:29 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:I honestly think sexism has a lot to do with it but :noclue:
A lot to do with what?

farrellgirl99

#35 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:56 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote:I honestly think sexism has a lot to do with it but :noclue:
A lot to do with what?
Generally, a lot of people dismiss her right away without looking at more of her lyrics because she plays off different personas. And most people don't consider her talented and I think her being a female in a male dominated field plays into all the shit she gets. I would say she is more talented than Drake for example, but she doesn't get the same respect (although I think a lot of people hate Drake too :lol: ) She's talked about it in interviews and the whole idea of being a "bitch" and how women are perceived.

I'm not the biggest fan of hers, but she does have some good stuff (and she's a local girl which I like). And although she goes over the top a lot and misses, I still find her more interesting than a lot of what's out there.

Edit: I don't even know why I'm fighting for Nicki Minaj right now :lol: This is what happens on boring Saturdays

Hype

#36 Post by Hype » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:07 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
A lot to do with what?
Generally, a lot of people dismiss her right away without looking at more of her lyrics because she plays off different personas. And most people don't consider her talented and I think her being a female in a male dominated field plays into all the shit she gets. I would say she is more talented than Drake for example, but she doesn't get the same respect (although I think a lot of people hate Drake too :lol: ) She's talked about it in interviews and the whole idea of being a "bitch" and how women are perceived.

I'm not the biggest fan of hers, but she does have some good stuff (and she's a local girl which I like). And although she goes over the top a lot and misses, I still find her more interesting than a lot of what's out there.

Edit: I don't even know why I'm fighting for Nicki Minaj right now :lol: This is what happens on boring Saturdays
I don't even know who "Drake" is (I know the name vaguely, but don't even know what kind of music that is... some kind of hip-hop I guess...) I just don't think highly of music as "product", even if the people making it are talented. I was disappointed when Gogol Bordello got Rick Rubin to produce their 2011 album because that turned it into a "product", and imho made it less interesting. For me it's not about gender at all. I think you're probably right though, for people that are already into that kind of music. :noclue:

Pure Method

#37 Post by Pure Method » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Drake is a canadian R&B guy. he was even on degrassi. his most recent album (and the one previous) are very good. frankly, I don't understand the hate - who cares if it's a product? should I not buy a bicycle because it too perpetuates capitalism? is such a holier than thou attitude really appropriate in this instance? it's not like these people are singing about giving their money to charity and then just keeping the proceeds...

Hype

#38 Post by Hype » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Pure Method wrote:Drake is a canadian R&B guy. he was even on degrassi. his most recent album (and the one previous) are very good. frankly, I don't understand the hate - who cares if it's a product? should I not buy a bicycle because it too perpetuates capitalism? is such a holier than thou attitude really appropriate in this instance? it's not like these people are singing about giving their money to charity and then just keeping the proceeds...
I don't know how you got "holier than thou" out of what I said. :confused: What I said was that I don't find it interesting. And I only have so much time to expend listening to stuff that will in all likelihood just sound like something else that I already have heard and didn't like. I spend enough time listening to other stuff that I have good reasons to suspect I will like (and sometimes don't).

Essence_Smith

#39 Post by Essence_Smith » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Ok I'm just skimming here but methinks Hype is in Drake denial right about now...I'm just saying...even if dude was a complete unknown in the U.S. I'd be at least aware of a dude from Brooklyn selling millions of records in Canada... :hehe:

On Nicki, she IS talented...she was also born in Trinidad...and she also has sold her soul and decided to water down any kind of real bite her art had so she can sell records and decided to sell a stronger image than anything else...if you heard or saw her 3-4 years ago you'd think it was another person...and :bs: about people dismissing her because she's a female...plenty of other females have sold lots of records etc in rap music but unfortunately people like Nicki actually make it more difficult for women to be taken seriously...we went from Queen Latifah, Salt N Pepa and MC Lyte to her??? :no: :crazy:

Essence_Smith

#40 Post by Essence_Smith » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:13 pm

Pure Method wrote:frankly, I don't understand the hate - who cares if it's a product? should I not buy a bicycle because it too perpetuates capitalism?
As a musician...the problem with people viewing music as a "product" is that products tend to be disposable...is art a product to you? I'm saying in 1989 Warners looked at Jane's as a product to be sold, etc as well and that in itself is ok...but when the artists themselves begin to approach their craft with that mentality... :no:
Its not about the commerce factor, its about the fact that people aren't trying as hard to make something that sounds even remotely original and the fact that because the media pushes the hell out of some really shitty artists we have kids growing up not being able to distinguish art from product...how would you know real oatmeal was good if you've only had instant? :lol:
I'm sure I'm oversimplifying to a large degree but at the end of the day its not "hate" to say you just don't like something...this mindset is also part of the problem...

Hype

#41 Post by Hype » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:Ok I'm just skimming here but methinks Hype is in Drake denial right about now...I'm just saying...even if dude was a complete unknown in the U.S. I'd be at least aware of a dude from Brooklyn selling millions of records in Canada... :hehe:

On Nicki, she IS talented...she was also born in Trinidad...and she also has sold her soul and decided to water down any kind of real bite her art had so she can sell records and decided to sell a stronger image than anything else...if you heard or saw her 3-4 years ago you'd think it was another person...and :bs: about people dismissing her because she's a female...plenty of other females have sold lots of records etc in rap music but unfortunately people like Nicki actually make it more difficult for women to be taken seriously...we went from Queen Latifah, Salt N Pepa and MC Lyte to her??? :no: :crazy:
Ironically, her music in its current form portrays her as a "Stupid Hoe". :neutral:

mockbee

#42 Post by mockbee » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:30 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Ironically, her music in its current form portrays her as a "Stupid Hoe". :neutral:
Not good for feminism. Not good for women. Not good for people.

Unfortunately, 'feminism' today has sometimes turned into a woman's/girl's 'right' to be sexualized.

Not good. :no:

Hype

#43 Post by Hype » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:44 am

mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Unfortunately, 'feminism' today has sometimes turned into a woman's/girl's 'right' to be sexualized.

My intuition is that it's SUPPOSED to be "ironic", in a sort of hip-hop version of hipsterism... but given the fans of her music that I've met... It's hard to see that they get that... that uh... you probably aren't supposed to walk around seriously looking, acting, and speaking like the characters she plays.

I mean... this is like something out of Idiocracy... UNLESS you view it ironically, somehow.

This has to be a joke (it seems so self-aware):

:neutral:
Last edited by Hype on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

JOEinPHX

#44 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:48 am

Nicki Minaj is a fucking hack. No one even gave a fuck about her till she jumped on the Lady Gaga train and started dressing weird.

Fuck that bitch and the mainstream pop that she calls hip hop.

Hype

#45 Post by Hype » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:50 am

I really just don't get it... that Starships song has a "Skrillex" vibe halfway through, after seeming to make fun of 90s shitty white-girl beach-party music (cf. Len "Steal My Sunshine")...

On the face of it, it's shitty pop... but... there's something weird going on. Someone working with her, or she herself... is intentionally making a joke out of some of it, somehow... and I have no idea why.

Pure Method

#46 Post by Pure Method » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:57 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I really just don't get it... that Starships song has a "Skrillex" vibe halfway through, after seeming to make fun of 90s shitty white-girl beach-party music (cf. Len "Steal My Sunshine")...

On the face of it, it's shitty pop... but... there's something weird going on. Someone working with her, or she herself... is intentionally making a joke out of some of it, somehow... and I have no idea why.

at least it's self-aware and somewhat subversive, rather than katy perry for example. this is not a conversation we could have about her or her music. the mere fact that we are talking about the state of women and how our society treats, objectifies, and values them AS A DIRECT RESULT of her music is a good thing.

farrellgirl99

#47 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:58 am

mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

As a man, i don't think you have a right to say what is "good" for feminism. There are different types of feminists and if a woman wants to call herself a bitch or a ho and reclaim it, men have absolutely no right to say that isn't good for that woman. It goes back to slut shaming and other such issues. I am so tired of men trying to say what a woman should act like or identify as. Why can't a woman talk about her sexuality if she wants to or dress "like a slut"? It's her prerogative and none of your business.

I've had this problem lately with lupe fiasco's song "bitch bad" which has the lyrics "bitch bad, woman good, lady better". like he has any fucking right to tell a woman what she should be like and what is better for her.

JOEinPHX

#48 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:04 am

Pure Method wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I really just don't get it... that Starships song has a "Skrillex" vibe halfway through, after seeming to make fun of 90s shitty white-girl beach-party music (cf. Len "Steal My Sunshine")...

at least it's self-aware and somewhat subversive, rather than katy perry for example. this is not a conversation we could have about her or her music. the mere fact that we are talking about the state of women and how our society treats, objectifies, and values them AS A DIRECT RESULT of her music is a good thing.
Katy Perry is awesome.

She's at least unapologetically pop and doesn't pretend to be anything other than that.

Hype

#49 Post by Hype » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:04 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:
mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

As a man, i don't think you have a right to say what is "good" for feminism. There are different types of feminists and if a woman wants to call herself a bitch or a ho and reclaim it, men have absolutely no right to say that isn't good for that woman. It goes back to slut shaming and other such issues. I am so tired of men trying to say what a woman should act like or identify as. Why can't a woman talk about her sexuality if she wants to or dress "like a slut"? It's her prerogative and none of your business.

I've had this problem lately with lupe fiasco's song "bitch bad" which has the lyrics "bitch bad, woman good, lady better". like he has any fucking right to tell a woman what she should be like and what is better for her.
You're absolutely right that men shouldn't be doing that (it amounts to proxy-parenting), but of course, the flip-side is that if I want to say what I really think about something a woman does/says (and I may be wrong about it), then it's no-holds barred (i.e., equality). Of course, I would never say what women qua women *should* do, but I can certainly describe what something appears to be, and then be corrected if I am wrong.

My claim about Nicki Minaj wasn't that she should or shouldn't be doing/saying what she does or says, but just describing how it comes across, to me.

Hype

#50 Post by Hype » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:06 am

Pure Method wrote:

Are you sure that it *is* self-aware? I was only saying that it *seems* to be, and that that would be a great explanation. But I also have suspicions that it's not about any of the stuff you mention, and entirely about getting hits on Youtube and making money, which is identical to Katy Perry in function, if not form. It's doubtful that the people involved actually care about fostering dialogue.