If this isn't enough then nothing ever will

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
ilovejanesaddiction

If this isn't enough then nothing ever will

#1 Post by ilovejanesaddiction » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:13 pm

This rendition of Splash, is just fucking insane. Yes he doesn't sing it exactly like he should etc. But the general power and fucking horizon of this tune. It's huuuuuuuuuge. I will go out on a limb and say it: if this doesn't get to you, then really, Jane's is dead for you, or rather you are dead to Jane's Addiction.

It's true for Underground and Twisted Tales and Irresistible Force as well, but this one just fucking grabbed me by the throat.
I listened to this piece about 25 times now, and still can't believe it.
Jane's did with this last album what few "legendary" rock acts do: they created new music that stands on it's own fully, when presented against the legend of the old material.

To be fully honest, three songs on the album don't measure up fully to the niveau of NS and RDLH: Ultimate Reason(only really weak one), Words (cool tune though, just not up to par) and I'll hit you back (just a bit generic and maybe it would gain with the energy of a live show). One has immense potential but has to be unleashed, turned into a crazy long jam: Broken People (sad they thought best to cut it down to the lazy 3.45 minutes).

The remaining tunes: Underground, End to the Lies, Curiosity KIlls, Irresistible Force, Twisted Tales and Splash a Little Water are just the crazyest motherfucking tunes and they fucking translate when played live (except CK obviously - hope that will change) - they are epic and so simple. Like in good simple, not bad simple. The best recordings of IF are just fucking crazy. Twisted is in my top 10 JA alltime. Along with Underground and Splash. Crazy tunes.

I wish more of you guys would just fucking give it a try. These songs deserve it. But hey, your denying it won't make it any different for me: Jane's Addiciton is my lifetime obssession, favorite beloved band, and they have gotten their shit together, they deliver, they overcame all these difficulties and surpassed any expectations. And they will record more music. Perry stated that around a dozen times in all sorts of outlets. He wouldnt do it if he wasnt sure. And the music will be killer, I'm sure. Just listen to the crazy fucking groove on Another Soulmate.

Hope you will forgive my gloating. I just fucking am elated that this band that I once thought I would never get to see is alive and fucking kicking. I'm happy. Thank you Perry and thank you Dave. Ur the most important band in my life.

ilovejanesaddiction

Re: If this isn't enough then nothing ever will

#2 Post by ilovejanesaddiction » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:52 pm

I remember this awful december of 1999 when I stumbled upon this beautiful little red cover in the music shop. Ritual. My life had changed forever the first time i heard 3 days. And it was only a few months after I brough my first real record entitled "Californication" on the wave of the Scar Tissue popularity. At that point I honestly believed that nothing better than this song by the Chili Peppers can exist in music. That is of course until i bought OHM two weeks later (after buying BSSM within days after Californication). And this crazy dark magical record pointed me straight into the psychodelic arms of Jane's Addiction.

I remember holding it in my hand for the first time, my heart beating like crazy. Is it Jesus on the cover? What the fuck? This is crazy! I was about to buy presents for the family for christmas. But instead I bought this and went to a friend to get drunk and listen to it. Will never forget this first listen.

Almost 13 years later, here I am ranting incemprehensibly on a fan-gone-hater forum. Listening to To Match the Sun on my stereo and smiling. What a fucking beautiful outro that one has. I will end with this: If you still remember these first times that JA enthralled you, like I do (as if it was yesterday) just give them a chance. Listen to Strays and TGEA. You might just find you love them as much as I do.

Thanks. Bye.

clickie

#3 Post by clickie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:23 pm

I agree with everything you said.
Open your mind and ears people, it's like Janes went back to their roots on this track.
This performance blew my mind, it's just so different and interesting.

Matz

#4 Post by Matz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:18 pm

I try to have an open mind about the new songs but I'm still not feeling this one or many of the others, It's ok but far from great like the old songs

compare the two and you'll see what I mean

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:25 pm

it's hard to judge from that clip since it's a bad recording and you can barely hear perry. i will wait for a better recording to judge this song live. :noclue:

Romeo

#6 Post by Romeo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:43 pm

ilovejanesaddiction wrote:
fan-gone-hater forum.
Listen to Strays and TGEA.

:no:

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Matz wrote:I try to have an open mind about the new songs but I'm still not feeling this one or many of the others, It's ok but far from great like the old songs
Exactly. Overall, TGEA exceeded expectations, and there are a few songs I do like, but nothing so good that keeps me pushing the 'replay' button over and over again.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:16 pm

ilovejanesaddiction wrote:

This rendition of Splash, is just fucking insane. Yes he doesn't sing it exactly like he should etc. But the general power and fucking horizon of this tune. It's huuuuuuuuuge. I will go out on a limb and say it: if this doesn't get to you, then really, Jane's is dead for you
I agree. 100%. I think it's absolutely terrific song and I would rather listen to it than a handful of the original band's tunes. The bridge on it's own deserves consideration as some of their best work IMO.

I also really, really like the lyric - "I flex at my reflection heading in to the town, a great hunter, yeahh!"
or rather you are dead to Jane's Addiction.
That doesn't make sense.
It's true for Underground and Twisted Tales and Irresistible Force as well, but this one just fucking grabbed me by the throat.
Agreed. Really good songs. Much better than anything on Strays in terms of keeping up with the feel of the old material. A mystical and dark ambiance about all three.
Jane's did with this last album what few "legendary" rock acts do: they created new music that stands on it's own fully, when presented against the legend of the old material.
Three songs does not a classic album make.
To be fully honest, three songs on the album don't measure up fully to the niveau of NS and RDLH: Ultimate Reason(only really weak one), Words (cool tune though, just not up to par) and I'll hit you back (just a bit generic and maybe it would gain with the energy of a live show). One has immense potential but has to be unleashed, turned into a crazy long jam: Broken People (sad they thought best to cut it down to the lazy 3.45 minutes).
Wrong. Only three songs can even be considered against their old catalog, and none of the three can even sniff at the greatness of some of the old stuff.
The remaining tunes: Underground, End to the Lies, Curiosity KIlls, Irresistible Force, Twisted Tales and Splash a Little Water are just the crazyest motherfucking tunes and they fucking translate when played live (except CK obviously - hope that will change) - they are epic and so simple. Like in good simple, not bad simple. The best recordings of IF are just fucking crazy. Twisted is in my top 10 JA alltime. Along with Underground and Splash. Crazy tunes.

I wish more of you guys would just fucking give it a try. These songs deserve it. But hey, your denying it won't make it any different for me: Jane's Addiciton is my lifetime obssession, favorite beloved band, and they have gotten their shit together, they deliver, they overcame all these difficulties and surpassed any expectations. And they will record more music. Perry stated that around a dozen times in all sorts of outlets. He wouldnt do it if he wasnt sure. And the music will be killer, I'm sure. Just listen to the crazy fucking groove on Another Soulmate.

Hope you will forgive my gloating. I just fucking am elated that this band that I once thought I would never get to see is alive and fucking kicking. I'm happy. Thank you Perry and thank you Dave. Ur the most important band in my life.
:blah: :crazy:

kv

#9 Post by kv » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:08 pm

ilovejanesaddiction wrote: This rendition of Splash, is just fucking insane. Yes he doesn't sing it exactly like he should etc. But the general power and fucking horizon of this tune. It's huuuuuuuuuge. I will go out on a limb and say it: if this doesn't get to you, then really, Jane's is dead for you, or rather you are dead to Jane's Addiction.
it's neither....i still love old janes they will never be dead to me but i don't like anything they have done since 1997 record wise and (aside from a random show here or there) tour wise...and imho ( because we are just arguing tastes after all) splash is by far the worst song on tgea
ilovejanesaddiction wrote: It's true for Underground and Twisted Tales and Irresistible Force as well, but this one just fucking grabbed me by the throat.
while their last album was better then strays they pale in comparison and embarrass me that they are jane's records
ilovejanesaddiction wrote: To be fully honest, three songs on the album don't measure up fully to the niveau of NS and RDLH: Ultimate Reason(only really weak one), Words (cool tune though, just not up to par) and I'll hit you back (just a bit generic and maybe it would gain with the energy of a live show). One has immense potential but has to be unleashed, turned into a crazy long jam: Broken People (sad they thought best to cut it down to the lazy 3.45 minutes).
this i can't argue these are your tastes i disagree with just about everything you have said but thats your taste..the backing tracks alone would ruin any song that has them for me ( but i don't like them to begin with...it's older rock lite jane's..i don't like rock lite
ilovejanesaddiction wrote: I wish more of you guys would just fucking give it a try. These songs deserve it. But hey, your denying it won't make it any different for me: Jane's Addiciton is my lifetime obssession, favorite beloved band, and they have gotten their shit together, they deliver, they overcame all these difficulties and surpassed any expectations. And they will record more music. Perry stated that around a dozen times in all sorts of outlets. He wouldnt do it if he wasnt sure. And the music will be killer, I'm sure. Just listen to the crazy fucking groove on Another Soulmate.
do me a favor. think of a food you fucking hate...then allow me to tell you how awesome and tasty and how even though it tastes like shit to you you should give it another try because you don't know wtf you are missing...stop denying how awesome it tastes! get it? tastes and i have pinched my nose and shoveled down more servings of strays and tgea then any sane person would for something they didn't like...think about that
ilovejanesaddiction wrote: Hope you will forgive my gloating. I just fucking am elated that this band that I once thought I would never get to see is alive and fucking kicking. I'm happy. Thank you Perry and thank you Dave. Ur the most important band in my life.
wait....you have never seen jane's before till tgea? how old are you? good damn should have read the entire post lol stoked ya dig it have fun :lolol:

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Splash is my favorite song on the record.

Hype

#11 Post by Hype » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:18 pm

kv wrote:
ilovejanesaddiction wrote: This rendition of Splash, is just fucking insane. Yes he doesn't sing it exactly like he should etc. But the general power and fucking horizon of this tune. It's huuuuuuuuuge. I will go out on a limb and say it: if this doesn't get to you, then really, Jane's is dead for you, or rather you are dead to Jane's Addiction.
it's neither....i still love old janes they will never be dead to me but i don't like anything they have done since 1997 record wise and (aside from a random show here or there) tour wise...and imho ( because we are just arguing tastes after all) splash is by far the worst song on tgea
ilovejanesaddiction wrote: It's true for Underground and Twisted Tales and Irresistible Force as well, but this one just fucking grabbed me by the throat.
while their last album was better then strays they pale in comparison and embarrass me that they are jane's records
ilovejanesaddiction wrote: To be fully honest, three songs on the album don't measure up fully to the niveau of NS and RDLH: Ultimate Reason(only really weak one), Words (cool tune though, just not up to par) and I'll hit you back (just a bit generic and maybe it would gain with the energy of a live show). One has immense potential but has to be unleashed, turned into a crazy long jam: Broken People (sad they thought best to cut it down to the lazy 3.45 minutes).
this i can't argue these are your tastes i disagree with just about everything you have said but thats your taste..the backing tracks alone would ruin any song that has them for me ( but i don't like them to begin with...it's older rock lite jane's..i don't like rock lite
ilovejanesaddiction wrote: I wish more of you guys would just fucking give it a try. These songs deserve it. But hey, your denying it won't make it any different for me: Jane's Addiciton is my lifetime obssession, favorite beloved band, and they have gotten their shit together, they deliver, they overcame all these difficulties and surpassed any expectations. And they will record more music. Perry stated that around a dozen times in all sorts of outlets. He wouldnt do it if he wasnt sure. And the music will be killer, I'm sure. Just listen to the crazy fucking groove on Another Soulmate.
do me a favor. think of a food you fucking hate...then allow me to tell you how awesome and tasty and how even though it tastes like shit to you you should give it another try because you don't know wtf you are missing...stop denying how awesome it tastes! get it? tastes and i have pinched my nose and shoveled down more servings of strays and tgea then any sane person would for something they didn't like...think about that
ilovejanesaddiction wrote: Hope you will forgive my gloating. I just fucking am elated that this band that I once thought I would never get to see is alive and fucking kicking. I'm happy. Thank you Perry and thank you Dave. Ur the most important band in my life.
wait....you have never seen jane's before till tgea? how old are you? good damn should have read the entire post lol stoked ya dig it have fun :lolol:
:nod: I hadn't seen JA before Strays and even though there were still moments/glimmers of the old guys then, I recall being disappointed by Perry's vocals live, and by the Strays songs. So I don't think it's just excitement and being young... I think you were right the first time, some people just have shitty taste. :lol:

bman

#12 Post by bman » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:46 pm

Splash is really good live actually. I just wish Perry would have mic turned up higher in the mix. The way it was on lolla 91.

Warped

#13 Post by Warped » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Wow, i never heart Splash live before. It's really great, i love the guitar, i love the song. Still my fave on TGEA. :rockon:

Perry isn't great on singing it but way better than expected. Wish there will be a better quality live version soon.

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:55 pm

As I predicted months ago, *all* the TGEA songs (so far played) would and do sound a lot better live without all the studio BS. Too bad that only Underground is worth keeping in the set going forward. So Janes' 2013 sets with feature the usual 10 songs from XXX, NS and RDLH and Just Because and Underground to round out their decade's worth of music from 2002 - 2012. Time well spent, guys.

Deconstruction

#15 Post by Deconstruction » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:16 am

I like Splash a lot, I also like To Match The Sun. This live version sounds pretty good, no lip syncing from Perry. I'm just not as crazy about Twisted Tales, Curiosity Kills, and Irresistible Force as you are. I especially hate IF and Curiosity Kills. I actually like Words and I'll Hit You Back, which puts me in the extreme minority on this board.

ragdoll

#16 Post by ragdoll » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:42 am

heres a good recording of "Splash" from the Lolla Afterparty show. Video thanks to Joe Mercado. Song starts at around :52 mins
I saw this live last week and I loved it! I've had it stuck in my head all week.
http://youtu.be/-O234t9pCSo?t=52m23s

Romeo

#17 Post by Romeo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:33 am

kv wrote:
:nod:

Grapefruit. As much as I try I can't stand grapefruit.

AND all the youngin needs to do is go to You Tube to see how great Janes was live back in the day :oldtimer: After he/she watches the balls to the wall greatness back then, THEN come back here & compare.

bman

#18 Post by bman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:37 am

Romeo why does it HAVE to be the same! Obviously it can NEVER ever be like it was. No one can ever be the same as they were. So what. It's still fantastic. Get over it. Are you coming to Brooklyn? I may even have an extra ticket if you need one. But I want you to play nice!

Romeo

#19 Post by Romeo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:43 am

fuck you telling me to "get over it"
You want to spend money watching a nostalgia act everytime they breathe anywhere in the immediate tri-state area that's your business. Me wanting to remember a band when a band was exciting and great and dangerous is my fucking prerogative.

bman

#20 Post by bman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:50 am

:scared:

Hype

#21 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 am

I'd like to see Leonard Cohen before he dies.

Romeo

#22 Post by Romeo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 am

:tiphat:

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:45 am

He's coming to my town: http://www.k-rockcentre.com/events.asp? ... sk=display
I have no money though. :sad:

creep
Site Admin

#24 Post by creep » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Romeo wrote:fuck you telling me to "get over it"
You want to spend money watching a nostalgia act everytime they breathe anywhere in the immediate tri-state area that's your business. Me wanting to remember a band when a band was exciting and great and dangerous is my fucking prerogative.
:lol: so much for bman being nice offering you a ticket.

Romeo

#25 Post by Romeo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:18 pm

as soon as you read "get over it" everything else after it is negated :nod: