If this isn't enough then nothing ever will

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
bman

Re: If this isn't enough then nothing ever will

#26 Post by bman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:25 am

tubro

#27 Post by tubro » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Deconstruction wrote:I actually like Words and I'll Hit You Back, which puts me in the extreme minority on this board.
i'm in that minority, at least with words, also. it didn't do that much for me when the record came out but at the montclair show last year i just sort of lost myself in the hard rock punk rock moment.
although only the verse has any similarity, it reminded me of EMI. and that reminded me of a sex pistols show i saw the first time they got back together, on filthy lucre tour. this clip is from a few years later. the english are better than some of us jane's fans at remembering why our favority band was our favorite band and just allowing oursleves to enjoy the nostalgia of it all.

but i digress.

i'm pretty psyched for tomorrow night. outdoors in brooklyn. twisted tales is indeed really good. but please please please put then she did back in the set. that's what i've been missing the most on the TGEA shows. i want to sing along really loudly and lose myself in the pit and cry a little when we all shout together 'she was unhappy just as you were'. more than any other song, to me, on every reunion tour, that's what's stood up the best. please boys, play it in brooklyn.

bman

#28 Post by bman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm hoping for Whores, Three Days, and Summertime Rolls.

LJF

#29 Post by LJF » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm

It seems both bman & turbo liked the montclair show from earlier this year. For me that was by far the worst JA show I've seen and at one point I felt like walking out. Where I was standing I could barely hear Perry and they just all seemed to be doing a job. The last few songs got better and had more energy.

Turbo you are right that maybe we should just try to appreciate them for what they are now. But there are times it is very hard to separate the current band from the original. There are times this current band does bring it live, but nothing can compare to the real JA. They aren't the same people, neither are we, as the guys from the 80s and early 90s.

For me there is no way that TGEA can even come close the JA 1.0, both on CD and live. After the Montclair show I told my wife I'd never go see them live again. Not going to the Brooklyn show, but if they record again they might just pull me back in.

kv

#30 Post by kv » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:01 pm

(bman will always like them no matter what)

ya man stop the torture it's never gonna get better perry just can't sing any more and it's rehash version fuck i lost count....the further you get from current day shows the more you will enjoy the old stuff

creep
Site Admin

#31 Post by creep » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:04 pm

i wish i liked it as much as bman now. :noclue:

i still say jane's today is still a good time. maybe not a $100 a ticket good time but $30 or so.

LJF

#32 Post by LJF » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:07 pm

kv wrote:(bman will always like them no matter what)

ya man stop the torture it's never gonna get better perry just can't sing any more and it's rehash version fuck i lost count....the further you get from current day shows the more you will enjoy the old stuff

I know it's torture. I just keep hoping that for one night and it's the night I'm at the show that the magic comes back and it's spring '91 again.

I guess I'm the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#33 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:09 pm

creep wrote:i wish i liked it as much as bman now. :noclue:

i still say jane's today is still a good time. maybe not a $100 a ticket good time but $30 or so.
Exactly.

Their current show is worth it. Much more reminiscent of old Jane's. It's much darker and artsier than Jubilee or Ninja.

tubro

#34 Post by tubro » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:59 pm

LJF wrote:It seems both bman & turbo liked the montclair show from earlier this year. For me that was by far the worst JA show I've seen and at one point I felt like walking out. Where I was standing I could barely hear Perry and they just all seemed to be doing a job. The last few songs got better and had more energy.

Turbo you are right that maybe we should just try to appreciate them for what they are now. But there are times it is very hard to separate the current band from the original. There are times this current band does bring it live, but nothing can compare to the real JA. They aren't the same people, neither are we, as the guys from the 80s and early 90s.

For me there is no way that TGEA can even come close the JA 1.0, both on CD and live. After the Montclair show I told my wife I'd never go see them live again. Not going to the Brooklyn show, but if they record again they might just pull me back in.
i wasn't clear enough about montclair. it had its moments but i had very mixed views about it. i liked the staging and the small theater p4p vibe. i thought they played well. i really liked underground and the first part of the show in general. and i really liked the end of the show, including words. but i thought the mid show small stage part was silly. they took so long to set up another stage which really needed none of it besides perk's steel drums. and that was sort of the deal for the middle 40 minutes of the show - lots of stops and starts for staging that broke up the rhythm. all in all it was a little too produced and staged. still, i like what they're up to and while back in the day if they played around here 3 times i saw 3 shows, i'm still pretty psyched to see them once in a while, like tomorrow night. hope it rains. and hope they play then she did.

hey by the way what goes on at the vip meet and greet thing theyve been doing. i have a few friends who won that on the radio and i'm trying to decide whether to try to get there early and weazel my way in.

thoreau

#35 Post by thoreau » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:01 pm

hokahey wrote:
creep wrote:i wish i liked it as much as bman now. :noclue:

Exactly.

Their current show is worth it. Much more reminiscent of old Jane's. It's much darker and artsier than Jubilee or Ninja.
Agreed. I felt the same way after I saw the Tabernacle show in Atlanta.

bman

#36 Post by bman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 pm

I did like Montclair...But it wasn't as good as Jones Beach Ninja, Huntington 2012 or some others too. But this tour is great, and, I don't try to compare eras. I doub't I'm as handsome as I was in 1991 too..All I know is that on this tour they are playing ?new songs, and Perry is a legitamate great frontman. Is it art...no..but it's fuckin great.
If anyone is going to Brooklyn on 8/17, I will be at The Whisky Brooklyn at 6, which is supposedly near the venue. :blah:

Kajicat

#37 Post by Kajicat » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Splash is a great song. The live versions are excellent, especially the version ragdoll posted.

I love how before it starts, Perry says, "Just look yourself in the mirror and splash a little water on it."

Dude in crowd: Ocean size!!!
*Splash starts*
Dude in crowd: I...I dunno...

:lol: