Perry shopping primetime music performance series

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
LifeIsLoud

Perry shopping primetime music performance series

#1 Post by LifeIsLoud » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:35 am

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/09/perry-farrell-series/
Jane’s Addiction frontman Perry Farrell is looking to bring a new kind of music performance series to primetime.

The Lollapalooza founder is shopping a project to broadcast networks that takes the TV music show out of the hands of amateur singers and gives it back to the pros. The series would simply feature spectacular live performances by popular artists — no judges, no eliminations.

One could see why networks might be intrigued: Music performance-driven award shows like the Grammys and CMAs have continued to rack up big ratings in recent years, even as the average audience for other genres has declined. Late-night talk shows, morning news shows, and Saturday Night Live likewise book popular artist performances a part of their lineups. Musical performances by popular artists were also once a staple of primetime on variety shows in TV’s Golden Age. Meanwhile, Farrell is keeping busy with Lollapalooza, having just played an aftershow in Chicago.

SR

Re: Perry shopping primetime music performance series

#2 Post by SR » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:13 am

God, I was just thinking of EXACTLY that type of show and lamenting that before I die I must live to see just that.

bman

#3 Post by bman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:24 am

TV sucks. Thats a show I would watch, if it was old 80's bands that I was into. It sounds like one of those indie Rock shows on the NYC local network. Quick little interview and then a few songs. They used to have something like that on late night saturday nights back around the early days of MTV. Make it happen!

Romeo

#4 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:36 am

wow. Very original. That's never been done before...

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 am

I think he should do an updated version of Dance Fever co-hosted with Etty. :lol:

bman

#6 Post by bman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:49 am

That's what it was. Yea it's been done before but not in 25 years! I wish channel 9 or channel 11 in NYC could have something like that on at 11:00 pm. How many frikking Seinfelds repeats do we need! Or, just a Saturday night thing around midnight. Like a Showtime at the Apollo type of thing but for Rock. It's better than the offering on TV now that';s for certain.

bman

#7 Post by bman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:54 am

Artemis wrote:I think he should do an updated version of Dance Fever co-hosted with Etty. :lol:

That's probably what they wish they could do!

creep
Site Admin

#8 Post by creep » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:12 am

as long as it's not a stupid contest it sounds like a good show. something needs to be done to help rock music.

who wants to bet etty is the host.

bman

#9 Post by bman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:21 am

I think they'll both be the host. That's a given!

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:48 am

Old Gray Whistle Test, Later With Jools Holland, 120 Minutes, Rockpalast, Top Of The Pops, The Tube ..... the list goes on about live music themed tv shows, some of excellent quality, mostly out of the UK that unfortunately peaked around the late 80's and early 90's. It's nothing new and every variation on the theme has been done to death. The problem with most of these shows is that their ratings rise and fall based on who they can draw to the program. Some new live music program who brings on a major live act like Arcade Fire one week and then three weeks of bands like Papa Roach, Slipknot, etc isn't going to last. There's tons of live music mostly from packaged festival tours showing 24/7 on Palladia HD ... it's just such a niche market I couldn't see the major broadcasters touching such a show.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#11 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:33 am

We'll see. I love the musical segments on SNL. Sometimes it's an artist you'd almost never see on network TV otherwise (Jane's '97), and sometimes it's just someone that is interesting to watch. At worst you get to see how awful some acts are and it's funny.

I dunno. It's all in how it's presented. If he can bring a Lollapalooza aesthetic to it then it could be the best thing to ever be on TV.

If it's just crappy act after crappy act with Perry and Etty hamming it up then it could finally put the final nail in the coffin housing his integrity.

SR

#12 Post by SR » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Really, American Pole Dance is the answer to their television future. :oldtimer:

Romeo

#13 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:03 pm

it'll be some band that needs to promote a CD.

Which most likely will be crap.

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Romeo wrote:wow. Very original. That's never been done before...

First thing I thought when hearing this, was that Perry was up late watching infomercials for those Midnight Special DVDs

creep
Site Admin

#15 Post by creep » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:12 pm

:noclue: everything has been done already. is this a bad thing because perry didn't come up with something groundbreaking like all his other half assed ideas that never work out? this isn't rockstar supernova.

yes it's been done but so what.

creep
Site Admin

#16 Post by creep » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:15 pm

what was that one show on vh1 where they would track down band members of bands that broke up to get them to play together for a night. i liked that show. i can't remember all of the bands but i do remember berlin did it.

creep
Site Admin

#17 Post by creep » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:19 pm

creep wrote::noclue: everything has been done already. is this a bad thing because perry didn't come up with something groundbreaking like all his other half assed ideas that never work out? this isn't rockstar supernova.

yes it's been done but so what.
:lolol: i just read this perry quote that included one of his revolutionary ideas.
He's right; earlier Farrell talked about Jane's Addiction's inclusion in the 2013 inductees to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He has an on-trend interactive idea for Jane's star -- and perhaps the future of the famous sidewalk stretch.

"I'd like to put an RF [radio frequency] chip in our star, so that when people walk over our star they can hear music or see pictures on their phone. I've got to approach the board about it, but it would revolutionize the Walk of Fame."

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:23 pm

Just what people need, to walk over the Jane's star and hear "I Like 'Em Big" coming out of their phone.

Artemis

#19 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:48 pm

I think the music show idea would be better if it were modified to be a show about music scenes in different cities in the US. PF could travel to the featured city, give a little history about the music scene and city itself, chat with local musicians, feature a couple of bands and go to their gigs, some bar and restaurant info too. If the show is a hit, then they could expand to feature cities in other countries too. For me, that would be a good show.

creep
Site Admin

#20 Post by creep » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Artemis wrote:I think the music show idea would be better if it were modified to be a show about music scenes in different cities in the US. PF could travel to the featured city, give a little history about the music scene and city itself, chat with local musicians, feature a couple of bands and go to their gigs, some bar and restaurant info too. If the show is a hit, then they could expand to feature cities in other countries too. For me, that would be a good show.
that would work on cable not on a network. it would be a cool show though.

Juana

#21 Post by Juana » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Artemis wrote:I think the music show idea would be better if it were modified to be a show about music scenes in different cities in the US. PF could travel to the featured city, give a little history about the music scene and city itself, chat with local musicians, feature a couple of bands and go to their gigs, some bar and restaurant info too. If the show is a hit, then they could expand to feature cities in other countries too. For me, that would be a good show.
Basically try to be the Anthony Bourdain of music, that could be cool but not sure any cable channel would shell out for him to do that and you know he is going to want to bring wife and kids in tow along with the crew. That is a cool idea but would cost $$$$$

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Juana wrote:
Basically try to be the Anthony Bourdain of music, that could be cool but not sure any cable channel would shell out for him to do that and you know he is going to want to bring wife and kids in tow along with the crew. That is a cool idea but would cost $$$$$
Plus, do you really want to see a show featuring Etty in every single city in the country?

Larry B.

#23 Post by Larry B. » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:11 pm

What Perry and/or the network executives must understand is that anything with Etty will suck balls, simply because Etty has no talent to be on camera. At all.

The idea sounds kinda cool, but Etty can ruin it if she has ANY role in it.

JOEinPHX

#24 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Larry B. wrote:What Perry and/or the network executives must understand is that anything with Etty will suck balls, simply because Etty has no talent to be on camera. At all.

The idea sounds kinda cool, but Etty can ruin it if she has ANY role in it.
Exactly.

But she will. Perry is still looking for ways to make her a household name.

jptm

#25 Post by jptm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:08 pm

worst. idea. ever.

it will never happen; y'all are wasting your time just ruminating over it.