What ever happened to tier 3?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

What ever happened to tier 3?

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Perkins used to talk Jane's about having a "3 tier project" with Rhino/Warner. The first tier was Up From The Catacombs and the second tier was A Cabinet Of Curiosities. The third tier was always assumed to be remastered/deluxe editions of Ritual and Nothing's Shocking and/or a re-release of Gift. Obviously there was been some changes or restructuring at Rhino, but c'mon...it would be a damn SHAME if Ritual and Nothing's Shocking aren't remastered by the band, Dave Jerden, or someone at Warner and released to the public.

Was just thinking about this because of the Gold NS Audio Fidelity CD coming out.

JOEinPHX

Re: What ever happened to tier 3?

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:09 pm

haha, Jane's being proactive about their band, good one. :lol:

Mescal

#3 Post by Mescal » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Wasn't their somebody who bought that gold cd?

Is it actually good/better?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:09 am

We could fill a message board with "whatever happened to..." threads related to these guys and their ideas/projects.

Tyler Durden

#5 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:21 am

hokahey wrote:We could fill a message board with "whatever happened to..." threads related to these guys and their ideas/projects.
True enough. :hehe:

But in the case with the remasters of the Warner albums, the band doesn't even have to be involved. And when you consider the number of albums (or entire catalogs) from that era that have been re-visited (many of which didn't even sell as much as Jane's...anything from The Jesus Lizard to Dinosaur Jr.), you have to wonder why this hasn't happened yet.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#6 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:59 am

They probably still need a signed peice of paper from the band or something and Etty is still reading it over.

Tyler Durden

#7 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:06 am

hokahey wrote:They probably still need a signed peice of paper from the band or something and Etty is still reading it over.
True. No deal until there is a clause relating to free botox injections every three months. Actually, I think that was Dave's idea. :lolol:

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:30 am

Do we really want the albums remastered?

Remember when Ozzy did his remaster/reissues and had the bass and drums re-recorded to screw the original guys out of royalties?

I have a feeling we'd suddenly be hearing NS and Ritual featuring Chris Chaney. :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:10 am

Six7Six7 wrote:I have a feeling we'd suddenly be hearing NS and Ritual featuring Chris Chaney. :lol:
That doesn't sound the least bit far fetched. I've already said I hate remasters. I fell in love with the album as it was. It's like retouching pictures of ex lovers.

Tyler Durden

#10 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:20 am

Six7Six7 wrote:Do we really want the albums remastered?

Remember when Ozzy did his remaster/reissues and had the bass and drums re-recorded to screw the original guys out of royalties?

I have a feeling we'd suddenly be hearing NS and Ritual featuring Chris Chaney. :lol:
I hear you...but what you are talking about is separate from remastering.

Tyler Durden

#11 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:21 am

hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:I have a feeling we'd suddenly be hearing NS and Ritual featuring Chris Chaney. :lol:
That doesn't sound the least bit far fetched. I've already said I hate remasters. I fell in love with the album as it was. It's like retouching pictures of ex lovers.
Not be a dick, Hoka...but do you know what remastering is? By what you are saying, I can only assume that you still watch a lot of old movies on VHS.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#12 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Not be a dick, Hoka...but do you know what remastering is? By what you are saying, I can only assume that you still watch a lot of old movies on VHS.
I do, and it doesn't ever sound the same. And sure, I can see enjoying certain movies more on VHS than Blu Ray. Coincidentally, GIFT comes to mind. Wouldn't want to see that in hi def on a big screen. Wouldnt hold the same appeal.

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:14 pm

hokahey wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
hokahey wrote:
I do, and it doesn't ever sound the same. And sure, I can see enjoying certain movies more on VHS than Blu Ray. Coincidentally, GIFT comes to mind. Wouldn't want to see that in hi def on a big screen. Wouldnt hold the same appeal.
Obviously, there are certain films that actually look worse (or there's just no "need") when they refurbished and put on a new format. I can remember people complaining that the DVD of Soul Kiss looked worse than their old VHS tape; TECHNICALLY, it actually looked "better". :lol: But because of the high resolution, it picked up every little flaw on the original master (be it video tape or super 8).

All of that being said, there are TONS of films that look better in widescreen on DVD or Blu -ray than they ever did in pan/scan on video tape. And the same can be said for the sound of many albums when it comes to remastering. I'm not talking about doing anything to the mix. Changing the mix is the equivalent to reediting a film. But remastering is essentially the same as when a film in put on a new format; using an original film negative, a film is colour corrected, sound is restored, etc. They're not changing anything; just giving it the best possible presentation (the way it's supposed to be). Same thing as remastering music. The tracks on Up From The Catacombs are remastered and they sound better than the original versions on the old albums.

Juana

#14 Post by Juana » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:09 pm

Mescal wrote:Wasn't their somebody who bought that gold cd?

Is it actually good/better?
It's louder but the drums still sound distant if that makes sense. There are a lot more guitar parts that I can hear on the computer now and especially when played thru the studio here at the house.