Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
perkana

Re: Worlds are colliding...

#26 Post by perkana » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:09 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
sinep wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:That dude is way cooler than Perry.
Don is a blowhard right-wing meathead douchebag who hates Europeans and thinks the solution to concussions in hockey is "keep your head up". :confused:
Why does he hate Europeans? Speaking as a European, what on earth have I done to offend that COCKSUCKER?
i always assumed most people hated europeans.
Nah mate, most people hate americans. By 'americans' I mean USAians...
:lol: Yeah, I don't hate all...Just the ones that start their sentences with "But I'm American..."
And Larry, if you go to LA there are more Mexicans than Guadalajara. I felt like home in SF, no need to speak English. Chicago was the same.
I have a soft spot for Lousiana, the people there are the nicest and sweetest I've ever met :heart:

Tyler Durden

#27 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:18 pm

I have no problem with people on the west or east coast or the blue states. But everyone else can fucking die.

Lokus

#28 Post by Lokus » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Wherever I go around the world, I can spot Americans. They are usually either obese, loud, obnoxious or rude which seems to be amplified in foreign areas where people don't speak "American" (I can cite several examples of this during my recent 2 week trip to Europe).

I say this as someone who loves what America stands for (although less what it has become). Take it as the observation of a friendly neighbour.

If I didn't recognize his accent and didn't know him, I would think Don Cherry was American.

creep
Site Admin

#29 Post by creep » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:12 pm

:cona: canada hates us.

well...i can always tell a canadian when i travel because they are the ones that are always fucking a moose. moosefuckers

Essence_Smith

#30 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:16 pm

creep wrote::cona: canada hates us.

well...i can always tell a canadian when i travel because they are the ones that are always fucking a moose. moosefuckers
Careful...you might be accused of being racist... :lol:

mockbee

#31 Post by mockbee » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:13 pm

No.....you can tell a Canadian by their backpack........ they are always the insecure ones with the maple leaf flag patch, because they seem like quiet Americans, but they are not....which doesn't make sense because if they were quiet, using their logic, no one would mistake them for being American........... :hs:

No shit you notice loud Americans...... there are a fuck ton of us, and you don't notice the quiet polite ones, just like nobody notices the quiet polite Canadians..........

Aussies on the other hand, are ALLL loud and obnoxious............. :hehe:

But I have actually grown to like them........... :wink:

nausearockpig

#32 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:18 pm

mockbee wrote:Aussies on the other hand, are ALLL loud and obnoxious............. :hehe:

Dude!!! we're not loud, not like septics, we're always complaining about loud americans.... and obnoxious? we're lovely.. You've hurt my feeling!

BTW, Canadians hate being mistaken for USAians!!! lol

mockbee

#33 Post by mockbee » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:41 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
mockbee wrote:Aussies on the other hand, are ALLL loud and obnoxious............. :hehe:

Dude!!! we're not loud, not like septics, we're always complaining about loud americans.... and obnoxious? we're lovely.. You've hurt my feeling!

Wow, I was like, what the hell is 'septic' supposed to be referring to.....? A sanitary sewer? :hs:

So I looked it up:

Seppo

Derogertory word used by the English and Australians for all American nationals. Derived from Rhyming slang (Septic Tank = Yank)
Will those stupid seppos ever shut up bragging about how much lemonade they can drink?

Huh....?! Never knew! Thanks nausearockpig for introducing me to something new! :wave:

At first I thought you had a bunch of typos.....but now...do Aussies only have one 'feeling'.....? :hs: :lol:

nausearockpig

#34 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:48 pm

mockbee wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:

Wow, I was like, what the hell is 'septic' supposed to be referring to.....? A sanitary sewer? :hs:

So I looked it up:

Seppo

Derogertory word used by the English and Australians for all American nationals. Derived from Rhyming slang (Septic Tank = Yank)
Will those stupid seppos ever shut up bragging about how much lemonade they can drink?

Huh....?! Never knew! Thanks nausearockpig for introducing me to something new! :wave:

At first I thought you had a bunch of typos.....but now...do Aussies only have one 'feeling'.....? :hs: :lol:
ha! the main feeling we partake in is apathy...

mate, i can give you a whole slew of slang or sayings that will no doubt confuse you... Australian slang is a language unto it'self...

phenobarb_bambalam

#35 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Septic=priceless. One of my favourite pieces of rhyming slang. As for the rest of the debate...I'm not touch it. Just wanted to say thanks for the reminder from home, NauseatingRaucausSwine.

Where's HemorrhoidRomeo to fan the flames...

Bandit72

#36 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:29 am

perkana wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
sinep wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:That dude is way cooler than Perry.
Don is a blowhard right-wing meathead douchebag who hates Europeans and thinks the solution to concussions in hockey is "keep your head up". :confused:
Why does he hate Europeans? Speaking as a European, what on earth have I done to offend that COCKSUCKER?
i always assumed most people hated europeans.
Nah mate, most people hate americans. By 'americans' I mean USAians...
:lol: Yeah, I don't hate all...Just the ones that start their sentences with "But I'm American..."
And Larry, if you go to LA there are more Mexicans than Guadalajara. I felt like home in SF, no need to speak English. Chicago was the same.
I have a soft spot for Lousiana, the people there are the nicest and sweetest I've ever met :heart:
I've only ever been to New York and Chicago so I can't comment. Isn't there like 5,893, 8432 different nationalities in Manhatten or something? I think you only get to see the "real" America when if I watch a Billy Ray Cirus Video :jasper: or Borat :lol:

Artemis

#37 Post by Artemis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:39 am

mockbee wrote:

No.....you can tell a Canadian by their backpack........ they are always the insecure ones with the maple leaf flag patch, because they seem like quiet Americans, but they are not....which doesn't make sense because if they were quiet, using their logic, no one would mistake them for being American........... :hs:
you think having the maple leaf patch is a sign of insecurity? :lol:

when i lived in the uk, people assumed i was american because of my accent. same thing when i was travelling in some european countries. i did not wear a patch to identify myself, but i can tell you i was treated better once i said that i was canadian. like in london when i worked in a hotel there, a couple of the chefs in the kitchen would refer to me as "the yank" all the time and make fun of the way i said 'tomato'. after i told them i was canadian they were much nicer to me. of course, the jokes about being from one of the colonies followed. :eyes: :lol:

Larry B.

#38 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:11 am

nausearockpig wrote:

Dude!!! we're not loud
Says the guy who used 7 exclamation marks in 2 paragraphs...

nausearockpig

#39 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:25 am

Larry B. wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:

Dude!!! we're not loud
sorry...

mockbee

#40 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:04 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:

Dude!!! we're not loud
sorry...

Also, Aussies generally have a good sense of humor....... :wink:

I took NRP's first response as great sarcasm....

mockbee

#41 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:37 am

Artemis wrote:
mockbee wrote:

Ohhhhh yeah, absolutely.....:lol: :hehe:

( but I would have to say if I was always being mistaken for another nationality, that would piss me off too.......)

But then, I would just think, hmmmmmm.............. I really like it in that other country........ and there is GREAT weather, unlike what I got going here.......hmmmmm...... and it just makes sense to shake some things up in my life right now......................... and my job would transition easily enough......................wow............maybe I will just move there!! :bored:

:wave: :lolol:

Artemis wrote: when i lived in the uk, people assumed i was american because of my accent. same thing when i was travelling in some european countries. i did not wear a patch to identify myself, but i can tell you i was treated better once i said that i was canadian. like in london when i worked in a hotel there, a couple of the chefs in the kitchen would refer to me as "the yank" all the time and make fun of the way i said 'tomato'. after i told them i was canadian they were much nicer to me. of course, the jokes about being from one of the colonies followed. :eyes: :lol:
I'd say that says a lot more about Europeans (and especially those Brits) than it does about Americans and Canadians. :noclue:

I don't know how you (Canadians) stuck with the whole Queen by proxy thing............ :hs:

And I totally realize there are fat, asshole, ignorant Americans out there...........and I don't really believe the stereotypes I am throwing out......... I'm just dishing it back. :wiggle:

Pure Method

#42 Post by Pure Method » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:52 am

people abroad wearing canada gear are typically americans trying to 'pass'.

Bandit72

#43 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:07 am

mockbee wrote:
Artemis wrote:
mockbee wrote:

Ohhhhh yeah, absolutely.....:lol: :hehe:

( but I would have to say if I was always being mistaken for another nationality, that would piss me off too.......)

But then, I would just think, hmmmmmm.............. I really like it in that other country........ and there is GREAT weather, unlike what I got going here.......hmmmmm...... and it just makes sense to shake some things up in my life right now......................... and my job would transition easily enough......................wow............maybe I will just move there!! :bored:

:wave: :lolol:

Artemis wrote: when i lived in the uk, people assumed i was american because of my accent. same thing when i was travelling in some european countries. i did not wear a patch to identify myself, but i can tell you i was treated better once i said that i was canadian. like in london when i worked in a hotel there, a couple of the chefs in the kitchen would refer to me as "the yank" all the time and make fun of the way i said 'tomato'. after i told them i was canadian they were much nicer to me. of course, the jokes about being from one of the colonies followed. :eyes: :lol:
I'd say that says a lot more about Europeans (and especially those Brits) than it does about Americans and Canadians. :noclue:

I don't know how you (Canadians) stuck with the whole Queen by proxy thing............ :hs:

And I totally realize there are fat, asshole, ignorant Americans out there...........and I don't really believe the stereotypes I am throwing out......... I'm just dishing it back. :wiggle:
I would say it would be quite difficult for someone who hasn't spent much time in America or Canada to distinguish between the accents. Just my theory...

perkana

#44 Post by perkana » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:34 am

When I was in Europe and said I came from Mexico...everybody was like " Tequila! Cancún! Acapulco! Puerto Vallarta! Sun!" :lol:
Though in Germany they thought I was turkish, I thought they saw all tan people alike, but then a lady came up to me once and started talking to me in turkish.

Hype

#45 Post by Hype » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:35 am

It depends on where from in Canada.

There are parts of Canada that sound more or less like some parts of the States (I think the Southern Ontario urban accent is about as non-affected as the Californian one... the only difference may be that Canadians do say "out" and "about" much faster, so Americans, who speak very slowly, get confused and think we're saying "oot" and "aboot", when it really is just a shortened 'ow'.

The Quebecois and Maritimes accents are obvious... you can't mistake those for American accents; likewise for Boston, upstate NY, Louisiana, etc.

mockbee

#46 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:39 am

Bandit72 wrote:

I would say it would be quite difficult for someone who hasn't spent much time in America or Canada to distinguish between the accents. Just my theory...

I agree with this. Accents are difficult, and close to impossible for non native speakers to pick up on.

I always want to know where 'English' (non-Americans) speakers are from so that I can tell where they are from just by the way they speak.

Canadians are pretty easy for me, except some Western Canadians don't have much of an accent and I get tripped up sometimes, thinking they might be Midwesterners, I just work in an 'aboot' into the conversation and am them confident in my assumptions.

Kiwis and Aussies are another group that can be difficult to distinguish from each other but I just work in the word 'six' into the conversation and then I have it. Kiwis say 'six' and Aussies say 'sex'....:lol: Also it is easy to distinguish from Brits because down under they don't have so much of the Grump factor going on. Though older Kiwis can throw me off.....

Irish just sound like they are talking with a bunch of marbles in their mouth. I can't ever understand a damn word they are saying. :hs: :lol:

I have the most trouble with distinguishing, Scots from English from Welsh from South African.... :noclue: Any tricks or hints would be greatly appreciated. :tiphat:

Also let me know if I forgot any of the Anglo native speakers. :thumb:

Bandit72

#47 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:04 am

mockbee wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:

I agree with this. Accents are difficult, and close to impossible for non native speakers to pick up on.

I have the most trouble with distinguishing, Scots from English from Welsh from South African.... :noclue: Any tricks or hints would be greatly appreciated. :tiphat:
I guess this is the thing. If you don't live somewhere, it's hard. For us in blighty, the English, Scots and Welsh accent are completely different. And they all hate each other :lol: I mentioned somewhere before, but in England alone, you only have to travel 15 miles to have a complete shift in accent. I find it difficult to understand some accents. I would say the hardest for me are the very broad versions of Scottish, Geordie (Newcastle), black country (Midlands) and some (drunken) Irish.

I think South African is quite easy. The normally speak in a very staccato type way.

Anyway, this guy does a pretty good job.

Larry B.

#48 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:07 am

English accents I can identify:

- 'Standard American'
- New York
- 'Standard Redneck'
- South Park-Canadian
- 'Standard British'
- Manchester
- Thick Scottish
- Australia

SR

#49 Post by SR » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 am

Artemis

#50 Post by Artemis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am

I am very good with accents. I think it's because I speak another language, and have been since a young child, the interpreter and translator for my mother who does not speak much english at all.

A regular guest at the hotel I worked in, who was Swiss, was able to identify me as a Canadian right away because he noticed the difference in my vowel pronounciation. He had travelled a lot in Canada and the US for business, so he was used to the differences. he also told me that the french that is spoken in Quebec is Louis X1V french, By that he meant that the language had not evolved much compared to France.