Lollapalooza 2012

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
jptm

Re: Lollapalooza 2012

#26 Post by jptm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I think they're going with Vinnie Appice who was the drummer when Dio was in Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell.
yeah, i finally got blocked by et-ty for pointing out that it wasn't BS unless Bill Ward was there...
@EttyLauFarrell @perryfarrell @lollapalooza @MissKellyO @MrsSOsbourne it's not Black Sabbath if Bill Ward isn't there; don't fool yourselves
she replied
@jptm @perryfarrell @lollapalooza @MissKellyO @MrsSOsbourne Why are you still here!?! = Blocked!
so i said
@EttyLauFarrell you take this stuff too seriously. or maybe the sabbath thing is just too close to jane's, i dunno. take care.
i suppose i shouldn't have @'ed sharon & perry etc., but i just hit reply and it filled 'em all in... but she's just being protective, i guess.

Larry B.

#27 Post by Larry B. » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:05 pm

What a can't.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#28 Post by Hokahey » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:33 pm

It's sad that her and Perry react to people saying things they don't want to hear by blocking people instead of having an actual discussion/debate. Kinda makes you realize where their cronies at a certain website get their methods from.

SR

#29 Post by SR » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:00 am

Hey, does anyone know about when Lolla gets sold out? Sinep?

It was nice to see Aloe Blacc on the bill....JAck White too

creep
Site Admin

#30 Post by creep » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 pm

3 day passes are sold out. only single day left. you usually have to get them quick.

esqfool

#31 Post by esqfool » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:10 pm

To me the lineups get worse, and the tickets sell faster. Maybe its a true sign that I'm old. I guess the fact I could see each band I really want to see by themselves locally for about the same price doesn't persuade me to go.

Artemis

#32 Post by Artemis » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:26 pm

I don't think age has anything to do with it. The festival is just too big now, imo.

Larry B.

#33 Post by Larry B. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:30 am

Artemis wrote:The festival is just too big now, imo.

Carlos Tévez wrote:Too beech for me... too beech.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#34 Post by Hokahey » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:23 am

My issue is the lineup as well, and I don't think that has to do with age but taste. Lolla is just a music fest these days instead of an "alternative" music fest, and it's not even a very good plain old music fest.

mockbee

#35 Post by mockbee » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:20 am

I like 'the bean' in MIllenium Park next to where Lollapolooza is held....

creep
Site Admin

#36 Post by creep » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:48 pm

mockbee wrote:I like 'the bean' in MIllenium Park next to where Lollapolooza is held....

hey...i just saw that thing for the first time last fall. i was like every tourist taking pictures of my reflection in it. chicago is really a great city...which is odd since they are in the midwest.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#37 Post by Hokahey » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:44 pm

creep wrote: chicago is really a great city...which is odd since they are in the midwest.
You shut your dirty whore mouth.

chaos

#38 Post by chaos » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:looks like the usual overload of crap .. man that first lolla was great .. 7 bands and no bullshit .. i wonder if perry paid bill ward extra just so sabbath could be real .. i would .. die antwoord is the shit .. not much else on there that doesn't need 150 other bands to help sell the ticket
I think they're going with Vinnie Appice who was the drummer when Dio was in Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell.
http://www.bravewords.com/news/182309
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 20:15:49 EST

Oregon Music News recently conducted an interview with drummer Vinny Appice (KILL DEVIL HILL, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, DIO). In the interview Appice talked about his new project Kill Devil Hill, his drumming style, World War III, and what happens if Black Sabbath were to approach him if the Bill Ward situation doesn't work itself out . An excerpt from the interview is below:

Oregon Music News: Black Sabbath will be playing their only North American show without Bill Ward in Chicago at Lollapalooza this summer. If Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler approached you about sitting in for that date would you do it?

Vinny Appice: “I would love to do the gig if asked. It’s kind of hard not to do something with Black Sabbath at this point because it is coming up on some of the last things that they’ll probably do – ever. Black Sabbath is part of rock ‘n’ roll history and it’s part of my family. If they wanted me for a gig I’d love to do it but right now I’m concentrating on Kill Devil Hill. If I stepped in for the gig it would have to not interfere with Kill Devil Hill or it would have to benefit it. My idea is to have my own band and rely on my band and not other people.”

To read the entire interview visit Oregonmusicnews.com.

chaos

#39 Post by chaos » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:58 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/08/ ... _news_blog
August 3, 2012, 3:00 PM ET
Perry Farrell Takes Us on a Tour of Lollapalooza
By Barbara Chai

When Perry Farrell hosts his musician friends at Lollapalooza, he tries to create a warm, familial atmosphere.

“I look at Lollapalooza as my family. The business itself is a family business. I’m not a corporation, and one day I intend to leave this business for my boys,” says the festival founder and Jane’s Addiction singer.

“But my partners are my family as well, and all the people that are working for me, and so are the artists,” he says. “So that part of my family, I’ve really taken care of this year.”

Artists who will play Lollapalooza this year are invited to stay in quaint, white bungalows that have been built on an adjoining field. While headliners such as Red Hot Chili Peppers will be housed in a separate compound, the majority of artists will be housed in the bungalows – built to resemble the types of cottages found in the Catskill Mountains of upstate New York, where Farrell used to go every summer with his family.

The bungalows, lined up like a picturesque neighborhood, are also near an Adidas Airstreamer, where artists can pick up free sneakers (they can also get free clothes and free booze). Farrell is driving my photographer and me around in his personal golf cart (labeled “Peretz” with a yellow smiley face) and he’s as enthusiastic as a young boy, excited to show off the Lollapalooza grounds. Friends of his run over, leaping in the air, to greet him with a hug. He brakes hard next to the Adidas Airstreamer and asks for his friend – Farrell himself wants a pair of colored Gazelles, size 10 ½.

Earlier, we sat with Farrell at “Perry’s Compound,” a special area of the festival reserved for his family and friends. A bouncy castle stood outside his trailer, his son’s shoes on the grass by the puffy door. Farrell, who is based in Santa Monica Canyon with his wife and two sons, has been on tour with Jane’s Addiction for their latest record, “The Great Escape Artist,” and on Saturday night, the band will play a special after-show at Chicago’s Aragon Ballroom. After Lollapalooza wraps up Sunday, Farrell will move on to Cleveland with Jane’s Addiction.

Speakeasy caught up with Farrell to discuss this year’s Lollapalooza, the growth of electronic dance music, and what’s next for Jane’s Addiction.

You have sold 100,000 tickets per day for three days. What can festivalgoers expect to be different at Lollapalooza this year?

We’ve got this area that they call Perry’s, and it’s basically the electronic dance music area. It is now going on its fifth year but it has grown and grown. It was an area that had two turntables and – I don’t want to call it a cheap PA [speaker] but it definitely wasn’t enormous. They had no idea that people would love dance music as much as they do and have come to. Last year they thought to bring in the country’s biggest tent. That tent held 15,000 people but it wasn’t big enough. Kids still were dying to get into this tent, so I said look, we’ve got to blow the roof off. Let’s have it under the heavens, let’s dance under the night sky this year. So now it’s bigger and better, we’ve souped up the jumbotrons and the video mixing. And it’s even grown out of the Perry’s area. Now two out of the six headliners [on the main stages] are dance artists, which is big news: Avicii and Justice.

Some critics say that as it becomes mainstream, electronic dance music is changing, not necessarily for the better. What are your thoughts on that?

Speaking from my heart, I am an old dance music enthusiast. I went to the U.K. in 1990 and fell in love with dance music through The Orb. I go back that far. I became a DJ through those years and playing house music, not party music. I’ve lived through all the stages and what I see happening is, I’m very happy for dance music that it has now become accepted by the mainstream and that we are able to do things like have it at Lollapalooza on the main stage. I do see that a lot of it has to do with the fact that it’s been commercialized. I think things might come back down to earth because of that. Some of the stuff is a little homogenized for me, and I think what might end up happening is it might start to go underground again. I don’t think you’ll ever lose the underground aspects of it because the culture itself is so underground. If young people that are kind of waiting for the hits to happen are at the parties, we can have big parties and we can have small parties.

How has the tour been with Jane’s Addiction?

We’re on our second to final leg. We came out with a new record earlier in the year and we’ve been touring off that record, “The Great Escape Artist.” Of course we come into Chicago now to do the Aragon Ballroom, capacity 4000. We’re doing a rock concert but we’re now commingling with immersive theater. So, we’re going to be dressing the theater itself. I have wood nymphs on the grounds. I have art installations all around. I want the patrons to feel immersed in the evening with Lollapalooza Chicago. I usually take a few days to show my family around Chicago and take them to the museums. This year, right after the show we head over to Cleveland and we’re on the road for the next month. And then when that exhausts, we’ll go home and we’ll start another record.

The bungalows for artists at Lollapalooza.

The reporter (left) and Perry Farrell touring the Lollapalooza grounds.

creep
Site Admin

#40 Post by creep » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:02 pm

lollapalooza was evacuated today because of storms

chaos

#41 Post by chaos » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:18 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/08/ ... orm-watch/
August 4, 2012, 5:31 PM ET
Heavy Storms Shut Down Lollapalooza Music Festival
By Barbara Chai

Update: Lollapalooza is reopening at 5:45 p.m. Central Time, according to a festival representative. A revised schedule for Saturday night can be found here http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/events/2012/08/04/.

The annual Lollapalooza music festival suspended operations Saturday due to a heavy storm and warnings from the National Weather Service.

The festival drew more than 100,000 attendees Saturday, but festivalgoers and artists evacuated the area and concerts were suspended until further notice.

Chicago Police Department officials were on site to help direct attendees to underground evacuation and shelter sites on Michigan Avenue. Backstage, artists were seen packing up their instruments and luggage and exiting the Artists’ Village to relocate to nearby hotels.

Temperatures were in the mid-90s with strong humidity and clouds overhead. At about 3:30 p.m. local time, announcements were made on stage that the festival would be closed down until further notice. Soon afterward, heavy rains, thunder and lightning hit the city.

Artists scheduled to perform Saturday included Red Hot Chili Peppers, Frank Ocean and Avicii. Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers Tweeted “the word we have is that we are still going to play” A representative for Avicii said he is 95% likely to perform tonight, but a shorter set at a slightly later time.

Organizers and staff said the evacuation was a measure designed to ensure the safety of artists and attendees. In August 2011, a thunderstorm hit the Pukkelpop music festival in Belgium, causing a stage collapse that left five dead and at least 70 injured. Officials called off the rest of the three-day Pukkelpop festival.

Strong winds also caused a stage collapse in August 2011 at the Indiana State Fair during a Sugarland concert, killing seven people.

JOEinPHX

#42 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:58 pm

it's weird because they never evacuated last year when the same thing happened.

Romeo

#43 Post by Romeo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:48 pm

After the incident that happened last year with that band Sugarland & with what happened to Radioheads stage this year I am sure from a liability stand point they weren't (or couldn't by the terms of their insurance carrier) take any chances

JOEinPHX

#44 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm suing. Why was the 2011 crowd's safety not something they cared about?

Can't wait to get a kiddie pool and roll around in Perry's money :lol:

Romeo

#45 Post by Romeo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:43 am

It's probably a contingency in the insurance they have to carry now because of all the tragedies that have happened.

Like after Katrina anyone who lived 25 miles from the shore HAD to carry flood insurance. Even if your area never ever flooded in the past. I live 8 miles from the ocean & it would have to be a tsunami for my house to get flooded. Also homeowners insurance companies were droppIng customers left & right (even if you never ever filed a claim) just because of the "potential" claim

It's all about the $$$. And then the potential loss of life or injury :lol:

Pandemonium

#46 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:53 am

creep
Site Admin

#47 Post by creep » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:30 am

Pandemonium wrote:
midwest weather can be sort of fun and exciting at times except for tornados of course. we hardly ever get those types of sudden thunder storms.

sinep

#48 Post by sinep » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:03 am

Pandemonium wrote:
things like that happen during the summer in chicago?

why would anybody live there?

chaos

#49 Post by chaos » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:42 am

Pandemonium

#50 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:33 pm

sinep wrote:why would anybody live there?
Best lightning storm I ever saw was during a stay in Chicago around early August '99. Pretty much the same vantage point in a hotel over looking the park too. Rolled in about 9pm and lasted the entire night. We never get anything even close to this kind of intense weather here in Southern CA.