Please don't fuck up the forums

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Pandemonium

Re: Please don't fuck up the forums

#101 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:35 am

hokahey wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:That said, I still think no words should be "unacceptable" so long as they're not directed at other members of this board or not used to purposely and directly offend another member.
I have to disagree. Some words are extremely offensive to certain groups of people. I've seen what happens on a board that tries to experiment with too much freedom. It turns in to a pretty terrible place to visit.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for moderation on a board like this. The real problems crop up when you have an individual or several people who consistently go for personal attacks, pushing other member's buttons, etc. You start pre-emptively catering to the perceived sensibilities of members on the board, it's going to lead to problems. The Jane's board that devolved into the Hello Kitty shithole did so because of the overall tone and a few significant posters there, not because of the language.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#102 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:52 am

Pandemonium wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:That said, I still think no words should be "unacceptable" so long as they're not directed at other members of this board or not used to purposely and directly offend another member.
I have to disagree. Some words are extremely offensive to certain groups of people. I've seen what happens on a board that tries to experiment with too much freedom. It turns in to a pretty terrible place to visit.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for moderation on a board like this. The real problems crop up when you have an individual or several people who consistently go for personal attacks, pushing other member's buttons, etc. You start pre-emptively catering to the perceived sensibilities of members on the board, it's going to lead to problems. The Jane's board that devolved into the Hello Kitty shithole did so because of the overall tone and a few significant posters there, not because of the language.

It's a word I'm personally uncomfortable with. Again, my goal with this board is to emulate the boards I enjoy visiting. They tend to get a lot of traffic and most visitors respect and appreciate the rules. While all of those boards allow "controversial" language, none allow words that are generally used to demean a segment of people. I like that. The overall tone of those boards are one of maturity and respect. Adults having adult conversations that aren't always appropriate for all ages but to a passerby aren't going to potentially come across like a bunch of 13 year olds making fun of people. Is it okay to sit around flinging around the N word? No. No reasonable person would say it is. I can promise you that many women find the C word as equally offensive, so why don't we just avoid it as respectful adults?

Plus, it's a word that has often been used in a demeaning manner towards Etty and I'd like to see this community carry itself a little better than that. We lose all credibility as critics when we pepper our thoughts with crap like that.

Larry B.

#103 Post by Larry B. » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:12 pm

so, if somebody calls another user a donkey, will you ban him/her? if somebody calls another user a nigger? a whitey? a fag?

Bandit72

#104 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:33 pm

Let's not call anyone anything too derogatory on here. I like the members because

a) They have knowledge

and

b) They make me laugh

I wouldn't like to see anyone getting banned for being a retard.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#105 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Larry B. wrote:so, if somebody calls another user a donkey, will you ban him/her? if somebody calls another user a nigger? a whitey? a fag?
Is donkey a widely recognized pejorative? I don't think so. So no, I wouldn't imemdiately think "that crosses the line" if someone called someone else that here. The other words would likely result in a ban.

If you're trying to rehash what happened with you and ES, unless you made it a point to explain you found the donkey jokes bothersome you can't turn around and suddenly use a word everyone knows is offensive and expect no retribution. I can understand though that you wouldn't want your culture insulted, and I was with you on that.

As far as banning, I'd really like to avoid it if at all possible.

kv

#106 Post by kv » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:08 pm

hokahey wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
hokahey wrote:

It's a word I'm personally uncomfortable with. Again, my goal with this board is to emulate the boards I enjoy visiting. They tend to get a lot of traffic and most visitors respect and appreciate the rules. While all of those boards allow "controversial" language, none allow words that are generally used to demean a segment of people. I like that. The overall tone of those boards are one of maturity and respect. Adults having adult conversations that aren't always appropriate for all ages but to a passerby aren't going to potentially come across like a bunch of 13 year olds making fun of people. Is it okay to sit around flinging around the N word? No. No reasonable person would say it is. I can promise you that many women find the C word as equally offensive, so why don't we just avoid it as respectful adults?

Plus, it's a word that has often been used in a demeaning manner towards Etty and I'd like to see this community carry itself a little better than that. We lose all credibility as critics when we pepper our thoughts with crap like that.
oh christ so it begins...

sinep

#107 Post by sinep » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:15 pm

if anybody compares me to "carrot top" or calls me a ginger i'm calling the internet police.

Tyler Durden

#108 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:50 pm

sinep wrote:if anybody compares me to "carrot top" or calls me a ginger i'm calling the internet police.
The internet police need some serious affirmative action in favour of whites. So far, they just have one black guy who is in charge of the entire operation.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#109 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:19 pm

kv wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
hokahey wrote:

oh christ so it begins...

:lol:

I'm saying the same thing I said day 1. Calm down.

Artemis

#110 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Since we're all being honest, I'd like to say that I don't like the use of "retard" or any variation on it.

Pandemonium

#111 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:07 pm

Artemis wrote:Since we're all being honest, I'd like to say that I don't like the use of "retard" or any variation on it.
I take it you weren't a big fan of the movie "Tropic Thunder?"

Tyler Durden

#112 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:15 pm

Artemis wrote:Since we're all being honest, I'd like to say that I don't like the use of "retard" or any variation on it.
So you're opposed to university text book terminology like mental retardation?

Having got my degree in psychology and having worked with people who are mentally retarded, the term "special needs" really annoys me. :lol:

Artemis

#113 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:15 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
I take it you weren't a big fan of the movie "Tropic Thunder?"
I haven't seen it. Do they say the 'R' word a lot in it? :lol:

Artemis

#114 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:22 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:

Having got my degree in psychology and having worked with people who are mentally retarded, the term "special needs" really annoys me. :lol:
no, i am not opposed to the text book terminology at all.

i just don't like how the word's meaning and usage has evolved. even the jehovah witnesses i work with say it. i can't explain why it bothers me so, but it does. and it's not because i am PC either. :noclue:

Tyler Durden

#115 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Artemis wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

i just don't like how the word's meaning and usage has evolved. even the jehovah witnesses i work with say it. i can't explain why it bothers me so, but it does. and it's not because i am PC either. :noclue:
Oh, I gotcha...the slang or derogatory use of the word bugs me to some degree. For me, using the word "gay" as a derogatory pisses me off.

creep
Site Admin

#116 Post by creep » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Artemis wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

well i don't like the use of:

"it is what it is"
"woot"
when a record "drops"
"word"
"you know what i'm saying"
"this"
"QFE"

let's ban all those too

"

Artemis

#117 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:32 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

Oh, I gotcha...the slang or derogatory use of the word bugs me to some degree. For me, using the word "gay" as a derogatory pisses me off.
Yes! That's exactly the reason. There's a dictionary full of interesting words to choose from.

Artemis

#118 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:35 pm

creep wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

"it is what it is"
"woot"
when a record "drops"
"word"
"this"
"QFE"

let's ban all those too

"
:lol:

what does "QFE" mean, btw?

hey, i just remembered a word you used to use frequently. it's also a 'c' word but not the bad 'c' word...

cooter

Tyler Durden

#119 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:36 pm

creep wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

"it is what it is"
"woot"
when a record "drops"
"word"
"this"
"QFE"

let's ban all those too

"
Please add "just sayin", "meh", "that's sick" (as in cool), etc.

Also, I can't stand when females use the word "dude".

Artemis

#120 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
creep wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

"it is what it is"
"woot"
when a record "drops"
"word"
"this"
"QFE"

let's ban all those too

"
Please add "just sayin", "meh", "that's sick" (as in cool), etc.

Also, I can't stand when females use the word "dude".
I can't stand it when females says 'yo'.

creep
Site Admin

#121 Post by creep » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:43 pm

maybe we should only be able to communicate by the use of smilies

Artemis

#122 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:51 pm

I feel so much better for saying how I feel about "retard".

I won't go on about it anymore. Thanks for listening.

Hype

#123 Post by Hype » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Artemis wrote:I feel so much better for saying how I feel about "retard".

Tu es en retard. :waits:

Artemis

#124 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

:lol: Tu es raison!

Hype

#125 Post by Hype » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

:lol: Tu es raison!
I'm drinking a Late Autumn Riesling. Apparently I'm raison and retard. :confused: