Perry and Dave Ritual Track by Track Commentary

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
SR

Re: Perry and Dave Ritual Track by Track Commentary

#76 Post by SR » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:51 am

Well, the gnr comparison was made by you to make a close connection to the hall and a similar road for janes. I agree it doesn't matter though

As to the cult types you mention, waits has close to 20 albums worth of material and the other two at least 10 and all with multiple live albums as well. Janes, not so much

I don't hate the hall as much as some here, though I have little respect for it lately. Obviously I think xxx, ns, and rdlh are more than worthy.....I'm just convinced they'll be quickly dismissed when/if they're considered

Matz

#77 Post by Matz » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:44 am

they should get in based on the Hammerstein show alone....GNR never ever looked that cool or played that great live ever, in fact very few bands/artists in the hall right now ever did....it's a master class

Pandemonium

#78 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:56 am

Guys, my point is a band like Janes has as much or as little chance of getting in as The Beatles or The Pretenders or fuckin' KISS. Record sales, however prolific they were/are, former or current popularity and critical regard often take a back seat to the political, secretive process a band gets inducted. Another thing especially in recent years the HoF looks for, is a band or two that will provide a little controversy and drama at the ceremony and of course, go over well live all for tv ratings.

I compared GnR to Janes because essentially for a couple years at the same time they were direct competitors in the same town.

And SR, I agree that the HoF is a joke and basically has been since day one. Not just the basic concept but the way it's run and the whole process of a bunch of industry stooges secretly picking who gets in and who doesn't.

SR

#79 Post by SR » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:24 am

I was here, in LA, during that time. Their affiliation was palpable and in a very dysfunctional fashion.....real love/hate especially from the gnr camp. The members of Jane's felt quite superior in the late 80's and early 90's.....justifiably so. I remember a story where Jane's were leaving a studio after practice/recording and GNR were just arriving.....Gnr threatened and Jane's laughed at them.

But nationally, globally...... :noclue:

In any event, this conversation interests me in a I have way too much time on my hands this week manner. We'll all see how it unfolds, though I think all might agree the onger they are not nominated the more peril their chances are in.

SR

#80 Post by SR » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:27 am

Pandemonium wrote:Guys, my point is a band like Janes has as much or as little chance of getting in as The Beatles
:confused:

Romeo

#81 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:30 am

RnR HOF started with good intentions. Ahmet Ertegun had good intentions.

But then you leave it to a douche like Jann Wenner and you get Chic (though Nile Rodgers as a producer should be included) or Donna Summers or RunDMC admitted. All of which are not Rock n Roll

Romeo

#82 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:32 am

for example:
2007 vote controversy
On March 14, 2007, two days after that year's induction ceremony, Roger Friedman of Fox News published an article claiming that The Dave Clark Five should have been the fifth inductee, as they had more votes than inductee Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five. The article went on to say "Jann Wenner used a technicality about the day votes were due in. In reality, The Dave Clark Five got six more votes than Grandmaster Flash. But he felt we couldn't go another year without a rap act."

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame would later deny fixing the vote, although they did not deny that late votes were received, saying, "No. There is a format and rules and procedure. There is a specific time when the votes have to be in, and then they are counted. The bands with the top five votes got in." The Dave Clark Five was subsequently nominated again and then inducted the following year.