Irresistible Force music video released

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Irresistible Force music video released

#51 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:46 am

pandarve666 wrote:Nobody asked you and why don't you go to another site then?

You know what?

This kind of shit won't fly here. This is what started to make Xiola tough to read sometimes, and I'm not letting this place fall in to that.

Every opinion is as valid as the next. Disagreement and debate are great things. But when we push out the people that disagree with us then we're just as bad as JA.org, just at the other end of the spectrum.

So knock it the fuck off.

I'm not big on public displays of power, but I think it needed to be clear to everyone that this is not what this site will be.

Argue and debate like an adult or you'll be the one finding a new site to post at.

Japhy

#52 Post by Japhy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:49 am

Eric B, read Hokahey's post. That pretty much sums up how the majority of people here feel about Janes right now. Most of us certainly don't hate everything... it's just that we're still not fully happy to accept that it's not what it was / could be. Generally, we're more than happy to say what we like too, as Hoka has... and others have.

You were always gonna get jumped on because your opinion (as valid as anyones) was so completely opposite to the majority.

And with that, i'm off to hopefully catch a Janes show.

Japhy

#53 Post by Japhy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:53 am

Hoka, can I just say that i like the new you. What a grumpy twat you were earlier this year. :wink:

bman

#54 Post by bman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:56 am

I hope this album has a couple of REALLY good songs...B/C IF and ETTL are just ok..nothing special at all. Besides the original catalogue which was written in 86 and 87, I think Dave, Perry, and Steven have written one good song together! Just Because. Perry really needs a quality writing partner (Eric/Peter)..

Hokahey
Site Admin

#55 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:58 am

Japhy wrote:Hoka, can I just say that i like the new you. What a grumpy twat you were earlier this year. :wink:
:confused:

Haven't changed. I'm responsible for this place though so I have to be more vocal on matters like this.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#56 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:00 am

bman wrote:I hope this album has a couple of REALLY good songs...B/C IF and ETTL are just ok..nothing special at all. Besides the original catalogue which was written in 86 and 87, I think Dave, Perry, and Steven have written one good song together! Just Because. Perry really needs a quality writing partner (Eric/Peter)..
I remember one of the Three Days directors saying "It's not as much live that you'll realize how badly Eric is needed in this band. It's in the songwriting."

Japhy

#57 Post by Japhy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:04 am

hokahey wrote:
Japhy wrote:Hoka, can I just say that i like the new you. What a grumpy twat you were earlier this year. :wink:

Haven't changed. I'm responsible for this place though so I have to be more vocal on matters like this.
I wasn't referring to that, more the comments on the video. You wrote off ETTL on the basis of one still of Dave which i thought was a little mad at the time.

Telling off was good though.

Anyway, loving the site... carry on. Review of Koko's (hopefully) coming tomorrow.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#58 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:08 am

Japhy wrote:
hokahey wrote:

I wasn't referring to that, more the comments on the video. You wrote off ETTL on the basis of one still of Dave which i thought was a little mad at the time.

Telling off was good though.

Anyway, loving the site... carry on. Review of Koko's (hopefully) coming tomorrow.
Don't know that I wrote it off. You sure you have the right guy? I posted a pretty objective review of that vid as well. Didn't hate it. Don't hate this one less though.

Eric B.

#59 Post by Eric B. » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:31 am

pandarve666 wrote:
You gave a stupid reaction to a normal reaction of six7six7. You may not like his style, that's too bad for you then. I do not like the new janes style and we are supposed to shut the hell up or what? 'The other site' is indeed a good resource, I agree, but over here we do not kiss ass.

You are either with us or against us. All this is serious as hell and there is no room for the weak. :balls:
Ok, so than we have different ideas about "stupid" and "normal". Let's leave it at that. I told nobody to shut up and I am also not a fanboy of Perry. I actually resent him quite much for destroying a good thing. I do think that credit's due where credit's due. This video isn't great, but it's not a pile of shit either and I felt the need to give some other opinion than the ones given to that point. If I read the replies than I have the same opinion as most of us here.

Enough of this. reading your last sentence makes clear you don't take this too seriously. Me neither and I'm tired of hearing myself talking out of my ass.

Turncoat

#60 Post by Turncoat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:49 am

The song has good elements and weak elements. The same goes for the video. It's not great, but it's better than Strays. :tiphat:

cursed male

#61 Post by cursed male » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:53 am

Warped wrote:I cannot watch it here - shouldn't it be a world premiere :confused: ..... Can someone up it pls :wave:
You can watch it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOi5Hdbd7Q

cursed male

#62 Post by cursed male » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:01 am

The video is complete crap obviously made with a zero budget but still somehow it manages to make the song sound slightly better. :hs:

Romeo

#63 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:02 am

not the worst...but definitely not the best.
Still going with cheap naked chicks? YAWN :sleep: it's so clique

nice to see someone weaseled her way in at the 2:30 mark :eyes:

Tyler Durden

#64 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:05 am

Jasper wrote:I watched it twice. I think it more or less accomplishes what it's trying to do - communicate to a younger mainstream rock audience. It's not that far off from the type of pop-rock song it is, so I don't know why anybody's shocked by what's happening visually. This isn't to say that it's what I wished for - it's way more busy than I'd picture the song, but what is this thing, really? It's an ad. It functions decently at that. I'm sure it was largely the work of the label and the director...the band doesn't get hands-on with this type of thing like they used to. I think it's more or less an obligation.

There were a few good moments, mostly involving that beautiful model. The part right before the first chorus, where it's her facing herself, with an ocean swelling, looked neat. Another time she was lying in the floor giving a prolonged come-hither look, and I enjoyed that. Otherwise it was a commercial video and a video commercial - for a commercial song.

I hope there's less-commercial stuff on the album. I'd expect them to lead with their most commercial song, and that's probably what they're doing here. I think ETTL was kind of a little preemptive statement about the fact that it won't all be glossy pop songs. If they'd put IF out first, I think it would have gotten a rougher reaction, with claims that nu-Jane's was making a fully commercial style album.

So, yeah, it's kind of just whatever.
Jasper sums up most of what I was thinking when watching this video. I don't like this video, nor do I like the song. But the video does an EXCELLENT job of representing the song and SELLING it to the masses. It is very well produced...it's just not Jane's Addiction to me.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#65 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:06 am

Jasper wrote:There were a few good moments, mostly involving that beautiful model. The part right before the first chorus, where it's her facing herself, with an ocean swelling, looked neat. Another time she was lying in the floor giving a prolonged come-hither look, and I enjoyed that.
Definitely a sexy video. Of course maybe I just need to get some...

Juana

#66 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:10 am

hokahey wrote:
bman wrote:I hope this album has a couple of REALLY good songs...B/C IF and ETTL are just ok..nothing special at all. Besides the original catalogue which was written in 86 and 87, I think Dave, Perry, and Steven have written one good song together! Just Because. Perry really needs a quality writing partner (Eric/Peter)..
I remember one of the Three Days directors saying "It's not as much live that you'll realize how badly Eric is needed in this band. It's in the songwriting."
Which is what I have been saying. I think they're someone like Pete/EA from making a great record.

As for the video. Nothing special. Chorus is still huge. Rest of the song is cut and paste.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#67 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:14 am

FWIW, this song is now stuck in my head, again, and the video keeps playing in my head with it. They did something right. And it's not stuck in my head like a catchy but awful song.

I have to say, I LOVE the music on this. If it were instrumental I would put it up against the classics. Yep. Not that it competes on their level, but in it's own way I really enjoy it - instrumentally.

The chorus is great.

If the verses were more interesting with better lyrics I'd say mission accomplished on this one.

This is grown up Jane's almost done right.

C+? B-?

Tyler Durden

#68 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:21 am

To me, there's no such thing as grown up Jane's. They are not a band that can or is supposed to make music for people with a mentality over the age of 30. I've said it before...Jane's was a young man's game. If we're going to label anything by Jane's as mature or grown up, it would be songs like Classic Girl or Then She Did..., not Irresistible Force.

I still say there are a couple of songs on Strays that recapture the essence of original Jane's over this crud.

leviticus

#69 Post by leviticus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:24 am

The song has really grown on me. I enjoy myself when I listen to it. The video has some nice colors and movement, but I will never watch it again.
But the song has become a guilty pleasure. I don't think I want anyone to know I'm listening to it when I am, but I sincerely like it. Sometimes... a lot.
What is wrong with me!!!! :scared:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#70 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:28 am

Tyler Durden wrote:To me, there's no such thing as grown up Jane's. They are not a band that can or is supposed to make music for people with a mentality over the age of 30. I've said it before...Jane's was a young man's game. If we're going to label anything by Jane's as mature or grown up, it would be songs like Classic Girl or Then She Did..., not Irresistible Force.

I still say there are a couple of songs on Strays that recapture the essence of original Jane's over this crud.
I hear ya. I really do. Perhaps a different band name would have made sense. But would anyone care about it then? I think they've realized no one would.

You only live once, and if it's your brand...

I can't say I wouldn't be doing the same thing.

I'd feel like a cheap whore, but I think I'd do the same thing if I knew I couldn't get exposure any other way.

bman

#71 Post by bman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:34 am

The song, and Yes, the Video are growing on me! It looks like it was shot by the same guys who did ETTL..Same shit going on. My only complaint about the video is why does Perry need to do the wardrobe changes! Come on Perry, your cool as shit. Stay in 1 outfit.

I also agree about the new Mature Janes. Janes in General, and Perry in Particular ALWAYS makes reminds me of youthful ways and youthful days. The new mature Janes and Perry being a businessman is kinda iffy. Keep the youth going guys. Neither of the 2 new songs suck. So that's good. I'm still hopeful for some good ones.

Juana

#72 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:35 am

I think it's a catchy catchy song and I do believe that is what they were going after. I don't care if they use the name Jane's Addiction but they would have to realize that with their back catalog that there would be backlash and certain expectations from the fan base. They should have expected the bad responses. Especially since other groups have aged a lot better than they have.

All that said I hope they sell well since they never really had a chance to be huge in the original. I did a mashup of P4P stuff with Decon just for fun and my listening pleasure with my protools stuff and it would have been interesting to hear RDLH's follow up to say the least.

Warped

#73 Post by Warped » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:48 am

cursed male wrote:
Warped wrote:I cannot watch it here - shouldn't it be a world premiere :confused: ..... Can someone up it pls :wave:
You can watch it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOi5Hdbd7Q
Believe me i can not. Not in Germany.

pandarve666

#74 Post by pandarve666 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:51 am

hokahey wrote:
pandarve666 wrote:Nobody asked you and why don't you go to another site then?

You know what?

This kind of shit won't fly here. This is what started to make Xiola tough to read sometimes, and I'm not letting this place fall in to that.

Every opinion is as valid as the next. Disagreement and debate are great things. But when we push out the people that disagree with us then we're just as bad as JA.org, just at the other end of the spectrum.

So knock it the fuck off.

I'm not big on public displays of power, but I think it needed to be clear to everyone that this is not what this site will be.

Argue and debate like an adult or you'll be the one finding a new site to post at.

At any other site I would now tell you to eat shit and fuck off with your site, but I really love JA and like it here and have always loved reading Xiola, so ok, I'll be a good boy and act as an adult, how hard that may be for me.

pandarve666

#75 Post by pandarve666 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:56 am

Eric B. wrote:
pandarve666 wrote:
You gave a stupid reaction to a normal reaction of six7six7. You may not like his style, that's too bad for you then. I do not like the new janes style and we are supposed to shut the hell up or what? 'The other site' is indeed a good resource, I agree, but over here we do not kiss ass.

You are either with us or against us. All this is serious as hell and there is no room for the weak. :balls:
Ok, so than we have different ideas about "stupid" and "normal". Let's leave it at that. I told nobody to shut up and I am also not a fanboy of Perry. I actually resent him quite much for destroying a good thing. I do think that credit's due where credit's due. This video isn't great, but it's not a pile of shit either and I felt the need to give some other opinion than the ones given to that point. If I read the replies than I have the same opinion as most of us here.

Enough of this. reading your last sentence makes clear you don't take this too seriously. Me neither and I'm tired of hearing myself talking out of my ass.
Hey man, of course I don't take this serious. I had a bad day at work and then I saw another bad video of a band I use to love with all my heart, and what's easier then than insulting people that can't see you. So let's kiss and make up! :thumb: