The Official Xiola.org review

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
ThenSheDid

Re: The Official Xiola.org review

#251 Post by ThenSheDid » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:31 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
ThenSheDid wrote:Well, it's obviously tainted...I just don't even see the point. If you don't think you're doing your best you shouldn't be doing it. On the other hand they are musicians and they have to pay property taxes for their mansions, so there's that. Regardless, I shouldn't lower my judging standards on my favorite band. Older musicians just aren't usually as good and it shows. That young creativity is gone and it's not the same. I'm not even trying to argue but I don't judge music by any special circumstances. What else are you supposed to compare Strays and TGEA too? They're earlier albums. At least that makes sense just like you do with any other band.
The problem with this line of thinking is that JA took a 13 year break between Ritual and Strays, then another 8 year break between Strays and TGEA so there's obviously going to be huge changes in style and quality of singing, musicianship, etc when your talking 3 albums spaced almost evenly over 2 decades. I don't know of any artist or band off the top of my head that has maintained any sort of consistency or original level of quality faced with that kind of gap between albums. Add to that, looking at these guys output, especially Perry's over the last 10 - 15 years if you wanna fill in the gaps between Janes albums and you can see a clear, almost straight line mostly downhill.

I think that's part of the reason why many people here are somewhat happily surprised the album turned out as well as it did in their opinion and a few others, myself included aren't going overboard whining how crappy it is considering there was a pretty real possibility it could have turned out a *lot* worse. Yeah, that's diminished (and informed, realistic) expectations, but frankly considering the odds, the band did alright.
yes, I competely agree. But, if it's still called Jane's addiction that's how I'm going to judge it.
That's Just the way it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1NAGhiVqdg

Pandemonium

#252 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:17 pm

NYRexall wrote:Lolz "Outside the Gate", the forever-be-damned Killing Joke album. It is pretty awful, and should never have been released under the band's name. Thankfully, they followed it up with that blazing "Extremities..." album.

I am interested to know what you love so much about KJ2003, and what your favourite KJ albums are and why, if you don't mind explaining. Forgive me, it's not often I meet someone who likes this band even remotely as much as I do.

My favourites are Pandemonium, What's THIS For, and Night Time. I don't know what the latter says to you about my fandom. I never had much of a problem with their mid-80's "Depeche Joke" output, bar Outside the Gate.
I'll carry this over to a new Killing Joke thread in the Pictures forum.....

guysmiley

#253 Post by guysmiley » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Let this be a lesson. Never meet your idols, they will always disappoint.

MYXYLPLYX

#254 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:22 pm

guysmiley wrote:Let this be a lesson. Never meet your idols, they will always disappoint.
It's one of the unwritten laws of my job... "Never work for a band you like, 'cause it will ruin them for you."
:nod:

pandarve666

#255 Post by pandarve666 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:07 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
bman wrote:Fuck Xiola.org.
+8

Those people were assholes. I am glad it's gone.
The more I read here the more I am convinced that 6767 is Perry. It's like first he made an account on Xiola to infiltrate with the haters and by the time the new album is released he has posted so much that he is seen as an 'opinion leader'. And then the mask drops and he starts talking out of his ass by saying that this actually is a good album, that he likes the lyrics and that we all should give it a descent go. Well fuck that, the album isn't as bad as Strays but hey people, it still sucks. I just give it another try and no, sorry, jane's is still dead.

Sonny, everybody is entitled to his own opinion. Just let them, stop trying to change their opinions. You and I know that we are better people with superior taste.

Maybe I just liked Xiola.org better. We were all haters with the noses in the same direction. Now we are divided in haters and non-haters who like the new U2, sorry I mean JA.

Pandemonium

#256 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:32 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote:
guysmiley wrote:Let this be a lesson. Never meet your idols, they will always disappoint.
It's one of the unwritten laws of my job... "Never work for a band you like, 'cause it will ruin them for you."
Tell me about it. I got my company involved with the Van Halen organization back in '98 and that was a huge mistake.

Larry B.

#257 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:35 am

Pandemonium wrote:
MYXYLPLYX wrote:
Tell me about it. I got my company involved with the Van Halen organization back in '98 and that was a huge mistake.
The lesson isn't that you shouldn't meet your idols, but that 99% of people are dicks and you shouldn't think otherwise.

Pandemonium

#258 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:56 am

Larry B. wrote:The lesson isn't that you shouldn't meet your idols, but that 99% of people are dicks and you shouldn't think otherwise.
I don't know about 99%. Maybe 55%.

For the record, the majority of so-called celebrities I've met accidently in informal situations seem to have been pretty decent people. A fer-instance would be Ian Astbury of The Cult. After he bailed out on The Cult around '95, he started his own solo band, The Holy Barbarians and they played a dinky little club in a converted industrial business building Costa Mesa (The Lava Room) in '96 and on a whim I went to the show. I got there really early, actually late in the afternoon and there was maybe 10 people in the place so I hunkered up at the bar for some drinks. Ian, totally unrecognizable in glasses (he looked a lot like the actor who played the lead crazy doctor in the "Reanimator" horror flick at the time) saddles up next to me and we strike up a conversation that led to comparisons between Iggy Pop and Jim Morrison. For at that 15 minute span, he seemed like a totally down to earth, cool *fan* of music.

Then there's the time at a Killing Joke show in late '08 at the House Of Blues in Hollywood where I got involved in a conversation with several guys at the bar that led to discussing the '90's KJ vs Nirvana lawsuit and I was kind of hammering Nirvana/Cobain over the guitar riff in question and one of the guys had to excuse himself at which point the other guy tells me "you knew who that was, right? that was Dave Grohl!" Errr, oops.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#259 Post by Hokahey » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Tori Amos is a really decent lady. I've never seen somebody that cares so much about her fans. I had a girlfriend that idolized her in the mid nineties and we caught 3-4 shows. She has(had?) her security go out before every show and bring people in line backstage to hang out. She would come out after every show and sign autographs and meet her fans for 20-30 minutes. She was always really sweet and would hug everyone and listen to all the girls freak the fuck out and scream.

Shawn Smith from Satchel/Brad/Pigenohead was extremely nice. Met him before a Brad show (Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam sideband). He brought Stone out because I told him I was a big Pearl Jam fan as well as Brad. I made it a point to not mention Pearl Jam to Stone and told him how much I liked Brad. He couldn't have cared less. Talked to us like we were an extreme annoyance and didn't make eye contact. It was bizzare.

I met Mike Watt before a P4P show. I was waiting in line and saw him walk out the club and was just sort of walking around, so I had someone hold my place in line and went and BS'd with him as we walked around St. Louis a little bit. I was 17 years old and in awe and surely making a fool of myself. He was courteous and just said "I'm just an old punk rocker, kid" anytime I complimented him. :lol:

Fiona Apple was nice (same ex-girlfriend).

Met many more musicians but none for long enough to form an impression on.

JOEinPHX

#260 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:55 pm

pandarve666 wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
+8

The more I read here the more I am convinced that 6767 is Perry.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Kajicat

#261 Post by Kajicat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:21 pm

hokahey wrote:...I was 17 years old and in awe and surely making a fool of myself. He was courteous and just said "I'm just an old punk rocker, kid" anytime I complimented him. :lol:
You just created the coolest vision in my head...Watt is such a badass. "I'm just an old punk rocker, kid" saying that all gruff in his flannel :lol: :worship:

sonny

#262 Post by sonny » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
pandarve666 wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
+8

six7six7 changes with the weather, but he's still growing, it's expected.

JOEinPHX

#263 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:49 pm

sonny wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
pandarve666 wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
+8

Yeah, that is what human beings do. They change and evolve depending on different circumstances.

Imagine that.

Pure Method

#264 Post by Pure Method » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Sonny,

I think you are a good person and I enjoy your online presence. Sorry you wasted so much of your life following a band of L.A. scene-types.
Surely, it used to be about the music and now it's just about the memories. Sorry no one else takes this as seriously as you. :wave:
-PM

sonny

#265 Post by sonny » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Pure Method wrote:Sonny,

I think you are a good person and I enjoy your online presence. Sorry you wasted so much of your life following a band of L.A. scene-types.
Surely, it used to be about the music and now it's just about the memories. Sorry no one else takes this as seriously as you. :wave:
-PM
you'd think at least the band would take it as serious. it's their legacy. i mean, who are these people?

sonny

#266 Post by sonny » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
sonny wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
pandarve666 wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
+8

Yeah, that is what human beings do. They change and evolve depending on different circumstances.

Imagine that.
you misunderstand. human beings should not change with the weather, hence the saying.

Pure Method

#267 Post by Pure Method » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:26 pm

sonny wrote:
Pure Method wrote:Sonny,

-PM
you'd think at least the band would take it as serious. it's their legacy. i mean, who are these people?
people who wanna keep on partying and paying the bills, I suspect, while doing the one thing they ever learned to be good at

trevor ayer

#268 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:40 pm

perry dave and stephen are now officially studio musicians for their own band .. thats gotta hurt .. no wonder dave was in tears during the recording

JOEinPHX

#269 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:47 pm

sonny wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
sonny wrote:

Imagine that.
you misunderstand. human beings should not change with the weather, hence the saying.
Rain makes me sad, sunshine makes me happy.

sonny

#270 Post by sonny » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
sonny wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
sonny wrote:

Imagine that.
Rain makes me sad, sunshine makes me happy.
surely not? if so, you might want to seek a therapist.

kv

#271 Post by kv » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:18 pm

it pains be to be the new sonny here but can't we all just get along?

JOEinPHX

#272 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:09 pm

That's what i'm saying.

Stop fucking up the forum, sonny.

It's the first thread in this forum. Conveniently sticky for you to read.

kv

#273 Post by kv » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:16 pm

settle down pot

JOEinPHX

#274 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:18 pm

i am totally settled acid

Juana

#275 Post by Juana » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:48 pm

I love lamp