10 Original JA; 10 post-Avery JA

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Jasper

Re: 10 Original JA; 10 post-Avery JA

#26 Post by Jasper » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:19 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Jasper wrote: JA 1.0:

Kettle Whistle (various live ones - far better than the '97 version)
Whores
Up The Beach
Ted...
Summertime Rolls
No One's Leaving
Obvious
Three Days
Of Course
Classic Girl (Maybe I should be glad that they haven't killed this for me)
I'm in love with you.
I actually think the '97 version of Kettle Whistle is the best version (FU Jasper :wink: ) Personal opinion obviously.
It's OK to be wrong sometimes. :pat:

(Though between this and Ancient Aliens, you're not exactly leaving yourself a lot of wiggle room. :lol:)

Bandit72

#27 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:26 am

Ancient Aliens? You've lost me. Anyway, find me a better version of Kettle Whistle that's netter and I'll see if your clouded musical judgement is worth a rethink :nod:

Larry B.

#28 Post by Larry B. » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:12 am

The two versions that I enjoy the most is one from a show where Perry keeps saying "Oh yeah!!! OH YEAH!!!" and the 4-track demo. That 4-track demo is an absolute beauty... haven't listened to it in probably 3 or 4 years, since I threw all my bootlegs away.

Bandit72

#29 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:24 am

I guess it's hard to compare the two because you're only going on live versions pre '97.

Jasper

#30 Post by Jasper » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:34 am

There are a lot of good live versions. I like that Perry changed the yell he'd do during the heavy part every single time they played it.
Larry B. wrote:The two versions that I enjoy the most is one from a show where Perry keeps saying "Oh yeah!!! OH YEAH!!!" and the 4-track demo. That 4-track demo is an absolute beauty... haven't listened to it in probably 3 or 4 years, since I threw all my bootlegs away.
Do you mean the one where he says "Oh yeah! Flowers. Take it easy. Let's take it easy...."? That's a good one. That might be Chicago...not sure. One of the best and most unique is the one from the Roxy, or at least that's where I think it's from. It's the mostly acoustic one in the acoustic set. It's the first I ever heard. I had a tape from a vinyl boot. I think creep uploaded that recording a couple of years ago. Definitely one of the best JA bootlegs.

*edit*

Maybe it wasn't the Roxy. I dunno. I think the boot might have been called Whole Lotta Love, or it may have been on more than one boot. :hs:

Larry B.

#31 Post by Larry B. » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:04 am

Jasper wrote:There are a lot of good live versions. I like that Perry changed the yell he'd do during the heavy part every single time they played it.
Larry B. wrote:The two versions that I enjoy the most is one from a show where Perry keeps saying "Oh yeah!!! OH YEAH!!!" and the 4-track demo. That 4-track demo is an absolute beauty... haven't listened to it in probably 3 or 4 years, since I threw all my bootlegs away.
Do you mean the one where he says "Oh yeah! Flowers. Take it easy. Let's take it easy...."? That's a good one.
Yup, that one :thumb:

Japhy

#32 Post by Japhy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:23 am

Kettle Whistle is / was simply magnificent. Early Janes versions are easily the best (really dig that Whole Lotta Love one)... the '97 version just sounded a little too polished for me - I still love it whenever i play it though.

Such a shame it was never recorded 1st time around... probably should have been on Ritual (always felt it was better suited to that record than NS) but could quite comfortably have been the opener or a mid-record beauty on what would / could have been the follow-up to Ritual.

I see on twitter that Perry recently suggested it may come back into the live set (as he has mentioned with Of Course too). Good news that they're considering such tunes but bad news if they murder them.

thisnameisinuse

#33 Post by thisnameisinuse » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:50 am

Six7Six7 wrote:stop
Am i the only one who put Slow Divers on there? What is wrong with you people? That song is easily better than most of Jane's other songs combined.
I think I might put Slow Divers on a list today. Also My Time.

I know some people object to the ubiquity of Jane Says but it's one of my favourites. Lovely, drifting melody (and unrhymed lyrics) with the steel drum part which gives it a cinematic feel, like mid-sixties Rolling Stones.

Kajicat

#34 Post by Kajicat » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Original Janes:
10. Mountain Song
9. No One's Leaving
8. Ted, Just Admit It...
7. Classic Girl
6. Slow Divers
5. Whores
4. Summertime Rolls
3. Ocean Size
2. Then She Did...
1. Three Days

Honorable Mentions: Ain't No Right, My Time, Stop!, Trip Away, Jane Says

Post-Avery:
10. Twisted Tales
9. Suffer Some (2003)
8. Wrong Girl
7. To Match The Sun
6. Underground
5. Price I Pay
4. End To The Lies
3. Strays
2. Kettle Whistle (1997 studio version)
1. True Nature

Honorable Mentions: Everybody's Friend, Irresistible Force, Ultimate Reason, Curiosity Kills, Splash a Little Water On It