Billboard Listening Party: New Album/Tour Details

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Pandemonium

Re: Billboard Listening Party: New Album/Tour Details

#26 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:46 am

A few observations.....

It's either lazy journalism or plain ol' ignorance to say "End To The Lies" (and "Ultimate Reason" I'm sure) is anything close to the "standard Jane's Addiction sound" even through Strays. ETTL regardless of how good it is or isn't, clearly broke new sonic ground for the band. I also find it rather amusing the band is pretty much ignoring the fact they released ETTL as their first "single" (probably because it didn't make much of an impression outside the hardcore fanbase) and now regard IF as the album's first single.

And as expected, it sounds like there's a few more "Pissed At Eric/The JA Haters" tunes in this album. It's funny that "Broken People" is being called "U2-ish," as I recall the one time it was soundchecked, it sounded nothing like anything "U2-ish." Hopefully, there's a few songs on this disc that are simply going to be "Great-ish." I could give a fuck what other band they sound like.

Tyler Durden

#27 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:20 am

I don't understand how people can say that "Irresistible Force" sounds like U2. That would imply that it is good. :hehe:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#28 Post by Hokahey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:40 am

"Splash a Little Water,"
I don't recall having seen this track title yet. Interesting.

It could easily be 7 minutes long and be lengthy and epic if most the remaining tracks average 3-4 minutes.

Jasper

#29 Post by Jasper » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 am

Tyler Durden wrote:I don't understand how people can say that "Irresistible Force" sounds like U2. That would imply that it is good. :hehe:
You can copy a good sound badly. This is not to say that I consider U2 or Coldplay to be good sounds. U2 has some tolerable stuff, but while we're on the subject, you keep surprising me with your middle-of-the-road music listening. :hehe:

Pure Method

#30 Post by Pure Method » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:09 am

I hate U2. Nothing against those who like them, but yeah, we are talking about taste here. When someone says U2-esque, all it means is it sounds like U2. How can you derive a value judgment from that? Although I suppose NOT doing that takes some fun out of it.

Tyler Durden

#31 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:10 am

Jasper wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:I don't understand how people can say that "Irresistible Force" sounds like U2. That would imply that it is good. :hehe:
You can copy a good sound badly. This is not to say that I consider U2 or Coldplay to be good sounds. U2 has some tolerable stuff, but while we're on the subject, you keep surprising me with your middle-of-the-road music listening. :hehe:
I grew up. Not to mention, music doesn't have to be "cutting edge" to be good. To me, that is the problem with music that is popular among hipsters today. It is weird or "cool" for the sake of it...without a lot of it actually being memorable or good. Aside from that, I'm 37...I've seen a million bands come and go; I have no interest in purchasing/downloading or even listening to music that doesn't have any kind of longevity. 15-20 years ago, I was discovering new (read hip) music daily; I just don't have the time or patience for that anymore. As well, U2 was "alternative" or whatever when I was a kid.

I saw Counting Crows in concert last year and loved every fucking minute of it. :flip: I'd rather hear something that is coming from a GENUINE place and sounds middle of the road, than something that sounds "cool" and is totally shallow and transparent. :idea:

Jasper

#32 Post by Jasper » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:23 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I grew up. Not to mention, music doesn't have to be "cutting edge" to be good. To me, that is the problem with music that is popular among hipsters today. It is weird or "cool" for the sake of it...without a lot of it actually being memorable or good. Aside from that, I'm 37...I've seen a million bands come and go; I have no interest in purchasing/downloading or even listening to music that doesn't have any kind of longevity. 15-20 years ago, I was discovering new (read hip) music daily; I just don't have the time or patience for that anymore. As well, U2 was "alternative" or whatever when I was a kid.

I saw Counting Crows in concert last year and loved every fucking minute of it. :flip: I'd rather hear something that is coming from a GENUINE place and sounds middle of the road, than something that sounds "cool" and is totally shallow and transparent. :idea:
Hey, I don't care what you listen to. You can listen to whatever you want, but listening to middle-of-the-road things doesn't have anything to do with being grown up. It's silly to imply that things that aren't middle-of-the-road rock or pop are somehow all hipster music or fake. I mean, that's a pretty narrow view of anything that isn't popular rock/pop from the last two or three decades. Come on now - all kinds of music has been recorded for over 100 years. The only reason I mentioned it is because of a number of bands you've mentioned recently (U2, Coldplay, Blink182, Bruce Springsteen) and because of all of the aggression you've shown towards nu-Jane's over the years, which probably had people thinking you liked more aggressive or adventurous things. Again, you can like whatever you want. No problem here - I'm just kidding around.

Pandemonium

#33 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:25 am

Actually, there's more than a few pretty awful U2 songs, especially from this decade.

IMO, IF sounds like 2nd rate U2. Laboured and over produced, Big, grand sweeping chorus, densely layered guitar and ham-fisted, overly earnest lyrics.

creep
Site Admin

#34 Post by creep » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:28 am

fuck you guys for bringing up u2 again. :flip:

just please don't say it sounds like van halen.

Tyler Durden

#35 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:32 am

Jasper wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Hey, I don't care what you listen to. You can listen to whatever you want, but listening to middle-of-the-road things doesn't have anything to do with being grown up. It's silly to imply that things that aren't middle-of-the-road rock or pop are somehow all hipster music or fake. I mean, that's a pretty narrow view of anything that isn't popular rock/pop from the last two or three decades. Come on now - all kinds of music has been recorded for over 100 years. The only reason I mentioned it is because of a number of bands you've mentioned recently (U2, Coldplay, Blink182, Bruce Springsteen) and because of all of the aggression you've shown towards nu-Jane's over the years, which probably had people thinking you liked more aggressive or adventurous things. Again, you can like whatever you want. No problem here - I'm just kidding around.
Yeah, I LOVE U2. And I like Coldplay and Springsteen. And Blink-182 is great satire (to me anyway).

I like The Misfits (1977-1983), Bad Brains, Minor Threat, The Replacements, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Birthday Party, etc...I also like Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles. It's called eclectic taste...through maturity. Like I said, if it's genuine, I don't care what genre it is. So far, this new Jane's stuff seems pretty shallow.
Last edited by Tyler Durden on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler Durden

#36 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:32 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Actually, there's more than a few pretty awful U2 songs, especially from this decade.
Shhh...

I know that. :lol:

Jasper

#37 Post by Jasper » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:42 am

Tyler Durden wrote:Yeah, I LOVE U2. And I like Coldplay and Springsteen. And Blink-182 is great satire (to me anyway).

I like The Misfits (1977-1983), Bad Brains, Minor Threat, The Replacements, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Birthday Party, etc...I also like Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles. It's called eclectic taste...through maturity.
Is that what it's called? :lol: OK. :noclue: To be honest, it doesn't seem all that eclectic to me, and I don't see maturity having anything to do with it :hs: , but if that's the way you want to view your musical preferences, so be it. I've always been of the mind that people should listen to whatever they want to, so I'm not remotely interested in having an argument about it. It's just that after a number of years, it's funny finding out that someone's tastes are much tamer than you might have imagined based upon their comments and personality.

Tyler Durden

#38 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:50 am

Jasper wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:Yeah, I LOVE U2. And I like Coldplay and Springsteen. And Blink-182 is great satire (to me anyway).

I like The Misfits (1977-1983), Bad Brains, Minor Threat, The Replacements, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Birthday Party, etc...I also like Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles. It's called eclectic taste...through maturity.
Is that what it's called? :lol: OK. :noclue: To be honest, it doesn't seem all that eclectic to me, and I don't see maturity having anything to do with it :hs: , but if that's the way you want to view your musical preferences, so be it. I've always been of the mind that people should listen to whatever they want to, so I'm not remotely interested in having an argument about it. It's just that after a number of years, it's funny finding out that someone's tastes are much tamer than you might have imagined based upon their comments and personality.
I was just rhyming off random shit. I don't get it. Was I supposed to cite shit like GG Allin and Cannibal Corpse as my favourite artists because I am opinionated on here? :noclue:

Jasper

#39 Post by Jasper » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:57 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Jasper wrote:

I was just rhyming off random shit. I don't get it. Was I supposed to cite shit like GG Allin and Cannibal Corpse as my favourite artists because I am opinionated on here? :noclue:
No, you weren't supposed to do anything that you weren't doing. :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#40 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:01 pm

So we're getting 8 new songs, 32 minutes of music.

After TWO 10 year breaks between albums, that is ridiculous.

Remember when bands used to release 10 new songs every year?

i don't understand their lack of enthusiasm/productivity for the thing that is supposed to be their "legend" and their source of income.

Jasper

#41 Post by Jasper » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:So we're getting 8 new songs, 32 minutes of music.

After TWO 10 year breaks between albums, that is ridiculous.

Remember when bands used to release 10 new songs every year?

i don't understand their lack of enthusiasm/productivity for the thing that is supposed to be their "legend" and their source of income.
I don't think it's fair not to count ETTL and IF as new songs. They're not as new to us, but they were previews of the new album, so they count. I understand your feelings about it, and almost wish they hadn't released anything in advance because that means less songs we've never heard when the thing finally arrives.

As for the other stuff, I agree, except that I will not count the times that the band wasn't together in some form. It only makes sense to judge their output on times that they've been together in one form or another.

leviticus

#42 Post by leviticus » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:42 pm

leviticus

#43 Post by leviticus » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:46 pm

More descriptive. The other tracks not mentioned: "splash a little water, Curiosity Kills and Underground"

Tyler Durden

#44 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:52 pm

Okay, now I am getting excited. I'm hoping for the best. The overindulgence of accolades has me very skeptical...but I can't lie, I am eager to hear this album.

I know they are just song titles...but I really like the song titles for this album. Much better than crap like "Superhero".

leviticus

#45 Post by leviticus » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:56 pm

I Think it's that websites job to crap praise over all new music. But I like the descriptions.

Tyler Durden

#46 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:59 pm

So if we go by the order in that article, this is the track listing:

1. Underground
2. End To The Lies
3. Curiosity Kills
4. Irresistible Force
5. I'll Hit You Back
6. Twisted Tales
7. Ultimate Reason
8. Splash a Little Water On It
9. Broken People
10. Words Right Out of My Mouth

Hokahey
Site Admin

#47 Post by Hokahey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:08 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:So if we go by the order in that article, this is the track listing:

1. Underground
2. End To The Lies
3. Curiosity Kills
4. Irresistible Force
5. I'll Hit You Back
6. Twisted Tales
7. Ultimate Reason
8. Splash a Little Water On It
9. Broken People
10. Words Right Out of My Mouth
Nice work.

Sounds like Splash a Little Water On It is supposed to be the highlight of the album.

creep
Site Admin

#48 Post by creep » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:36 pm

just judging from the song titles at least he seems to be focused on eric and not etty on this album.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#49 Post by Hokahey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:09 pm

I wonder if Broken People really is about Xiola.

trevor ayer

#50 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:09 pm

i like that one of the songs is called "i'll hit you back" .. reminds me of "one hit's all it takes" their first single .. and i think perrys publishing back then, and maybe still now, is called "i'll hit you back" .. i am secretly hoping that irrisistable force and end to the lies are not on this record .. that whole bangin and bangin sounds like perry has a mouth full of marbles .. prince did the same thing with that crappy "guitar" song that was in a verizon comercial .. mouth full of marbles on the first verse .. it's one thing to write a mediocre song but to leave that mumbly crap in the song just rips the heart out of any of the good parts of the song .. these songs are way too short already ... i wouldn't want over cooked either .. but they have not jammed on any of these songs .. they sound more like bits and pieces spliced together than they do an actual band playing in a room together .. the remix contest was a little to revealing as to how metronomed and somewhat monotonous all the performances actually are ... i love the old 86 rehearsal tapes where they will just jam on a tune for like 15 minutes getting the groove .. this sounds like an idea tape still .. irresistable force could easily be 'obvious' length .. same with 'end to the lies' .. now that the songs are kind of written they need to jam them for a year .. fix the lyrics and stretch them out .. the sounds are really nice .. i will give them that .. but the cut and paste chorus verse building is as painful as watching a computer animated movie ... i am still not sure i want to give these guys my money this time .. the vibes show displayed that they still have "it" but the fact remains that they sold out .. they are just doing there job now .. they are writing ringtones not epic musical masterpieces