Rockstar Energy Uproar Tour

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Rockstar Energy Uproar Tour

#101 Post by Hokahey » Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 am

tvrec wrote:OK, so there are 15$ tickets through Groupon for the Irvine show... and it is 4 months away. Geez... I might have to go for 15$.
I'd probably have to go for $15. But are they lawn seats? I cant imagine sitting on the damn lawn and watching this version of Janes.

tvrec

#102 Post by tvrec » Fri May 10, 2013 9:51 am

Kajicat

#103 Post by Kajicat » Fri May 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Matz wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Robert Deleo is far more talented than his brother.
You beat me to it.

Although, I wouldn't say "far more" but Robert is indeed the better writer by a good amount. Dean of course is still an incredible guitarist in the vein of Jimmy Page.
Tyler Durden wrote:
Kajicat wrote:Dean of course is still an incredible guitarist in the vein of Jimmy Page.
:lolol:
You two haven't heard of all of the comparisons of Dean DeLeo to Jimmy Page over the years? Talk about living under a rock! Very similar styles. Maybe y'all should try to actually listen to some STP albums with that in mind. Purple, Tiny Music....hell most of their albums except Core, Dean sounds quite a bit like Page. I'm not just pullin' this outta' my ass.

Matz

#104 Post by Matz » Fri May 10, 2013 5:45 pm

if anyone from that generation should be compared to Jimmy Page it should obviosuly be Dave Navarro. DN in his prime completely killed Deleo and what he did in Jane's is way more Zeppelin esque than anything Deleo has come up with

kv

#105 Post by kv » Sat May 11, 2013 12:34 am

you two haven't heard of all of the comparisons of Dean DeLeo to Jimmy Page over the years?

they prob don't visit stp fan sites so you can't blame them

Pandemonium

#106 Post by Pandemonium » Sat May 11, 2013 12:54 am

Kajicat wrote: You two haven't heard of all of the comparisons of Dean DeLeo to Jimmy Page over the years? Talk about living under a rock! Very similar styles. Maybe y'all should try to actually listen to some STP albums with that in mind. Purple, Tiny Music....hell most of their albums except Core, Dean sounds quite a bit like Page. I'm not just pullin' this outta' my ass.
Thats like saying George Lynch gets a lot of comparisons to Eddie Van Halen.

trevor ayer

#107 Post by trevor ayer » Sat May 11, 2013 5:34 am

well stp completely ripped off led zep during interstate love song .. same exact riff as 'for your life' by zep .. both great songs .. but maybe that is where the page comparison began and ended .. i enjoy me some stp on occasion .. not often .. but comparing them to zep is a huge stretch of the imagination

Kajicat

#108 Post by Kajicat » Sat May 11, 2013 10:34 am

Matz wrote:if anyone from that generation should be compared to Jimmy Page it should obviosuly be Dave Navarro. DN in his prime completely killed Deleo and what he did in Jane's is way more Zeppelin esque than anything Deleo has come up with
Interesting. Navarro's style has never really made me think, "Wow, this reminds me of Jimmy Page" much. But throughout the 6 STP albums though, I'm reminded of Page quite a bit by Dean's style. Especially his solos.

First example that comes to mind, is this solo at 2:27:

HEY WHAT DO YOU KNOW...check out the top rated comment for that video on YouTube :lol: That couldn't have worked out better for me haha
kv wrote:
you two haven't heard of all of the comparisons of Dean DeLeo to Jimmy Page over the years?

Nor do I.
This is the only band fan site I go to.

Tyler Durden

#109 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat May 11, 2013 10:48 am

Lady Picture Show's guitar solo doesn't remind me of Jimmy Page at all.

"STP is Gen Y's version of Led Zeppelin" :confused:

More like STP is Gen X's version of Boston. Some fun/enjoyable singles...but hardly a LEGENDARY rock band.

trevor ayer

#110 Post by trevor ayer » Sat May 11, 2013 11:04 am

'jane says' is pretty much 'over the hills and far away'

'3 days' is basically 'stairway to heaven' without the cheesy lord of the rings lyrics

perry and janes covered whole lotta love .. dave did the solo note for note perfect .. well almost

it's fair to say dave was influenced by jimmy page

Tyler Durden

#111 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat May 11, 2013 11:12 am

The guitar in these two songs sounds more like Jimmy Page than anything I have heard by STP.

intertwoven

#112 Post by intertwoven » Sat May 11, 2013 11:13 am

trevor ayer wrote:'jane says' is pretty much 'over the hills and far away'
Yeah, there's a soundcheck recording from Hawaii '91 where Dave is strumming Jane Says and then morphs right into Over the Hills and Far Away. I think he points it out in his Starlicks instructional video, too. fun stuff.

Matz

#113 Post by Matz » Sat May 11, 2013 12:26 pm

yeah, and in his instructional guitar video he says at one point (about Jane Says when showing it to the guy) 'that's to keep it from sounding like Over the hills and far away, it becomes something else..' He also talks about what a big influence Page has been on him and how he thinks 'he compliments his music in a brillant way'.

A song like Classic girl is pretty Zep'ish as well, to me anyway, and of course as previously mentioned Three days too. So are the big riff heavy songs like Mountain song and Stop.

Tyler Durden

#114 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat May 11, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm not arguing that Jane Says doesn't sound like Zeppelin (because I can hear it)...but am I recalling correctly that Eric wrote the chord progression for it? I'm sure I read that before.

intertwoven

#115 Post by intertwoven » Sat May 11, 2013 2:34 pm

yeah, the song is in fact on the "pre-Dave demo" from Jan '86 with Ed, now that you mention it. So I guess Dave can't be blamed/credited too much for it for any Zep similarities it might have at its core.

kv

#116 Post by kv » Sat May 11, 2013 5:26 pm

Kajicat wrote: HEY WHAT DO YOU KNOW...check out the top rated comment for that video on YouTube :lol: That couldn't have worked out better for me haha
kv wrote:

Nor do I.
i bet that guy with the top comment does though

Kajicat

#117 Post by Kajicat » Sat May 11, 2013 11:25 pm

trevor ayer wrote:'3 days' is basically 'stairway to heaven'
:lolol: They're both progressive rock songs with highs and lows but that's about the only similarity I hear. If Three Days is basically Stairway to Heaven then so is basically every other prog rock song over 8 minutes with highs and lows.
trevor ayer wrote: perry and janes covered whole lotta love .. dave did the solo note for note perfect .. well almost
Scott and STP covered Dancing Days.. they pretty much play it note for note.. well almost:

kv wrote:
Kajicat wrote: HEY WHAT DO YOU KNOW...check out the top rated comment for that video on YouTube :lol: That couldn't have worked out better for me haha
kv wrote:

Nor do I.
i bet that guy with the top comment does though
Yeah him and the other 29 people who gave that comment a "thumbs up" right...?

trevor ayer

#118 Post by trevor ayer » Sun May 12, 2013 8:09 am

meh .. 3 days and stairway are more similar than most 8 minute prog rockers .. the pretty plucking .. the shifts in tempo .. everything laid out almost exactly the same like some kind of epic rock song template .. what really seals it for me tho is the guitar solo .. there are not a lot of guitar solos guitar players tend to learn note for note .. i would say the 3 days and stair way solos are 2 of the bigger ones that budding guitarists tend to want to learn .. they are similarly placed and have a similar effect in both songs .. and they are both very memorable and note worthy .. i would venture to say purple rain falls in this category too .. but it simply does not have the same song dynamics shared as stairway and 3 days do ... most notable guitar solos live in the pocket where a 3rd verse might go .. and then the song returns to its original chorus or structure .. 3 days and stairway use the solo to bridge into a whole other section .. 3 days bridges back to the "all now with wings" theme much like stairway reverts to the main "and she's buying" theme .. its all there ..

I personally don't hear zep in stp much in their style ..too glossy and metal pop ... janes also had a glossy and metal pop sound but i think songs like 3 days and then she did and even of course really reference zep without being a direct rip of a riff .. unlike stp who directly ripped interstate love song from a zep riff

just an opinon :aoa:

there is also the "when the levee breaks" jam from that super early janes show .. further showing a strong influence

Kajicat

#119 Post by Kajicat » Sun May 12, 2013 8:58 am

trevor ayer wrote:there is also the "when the levee breaks" jam from that super early janes show .. further showing a strong influence
I agree that Jane's music was strongly influenced by Led Zeppelin, I just don't think Navarro's style (especially post-1990) is much like Jimmy Page's.

JOEinPHX

#120 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun May 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Matz wrote:if anyone from that generation should be compared to Jimmy Page it should obviosuly be Dave Navarro. DN in his prime completely killed Deleo and what he did in Jane's is way more Zeppelin esque than anything Deleo has come up with
No. Dave Navarro, while one of my favorites, is one of the least interesting guitar players of the 90s.

There were so many dudes who put out so many albums of unique material, Dave just doesn't even come close.

Pandemonium

#121 Post by Pandemonium » Sun May 12, 2013 8:28 pm

Kajicat wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:there is also the "when the levee breaks" jam from that super early janes show .. further showing a strong influence
I agree that Jane's music was strongly influenced by Led Zeppelin, I just don't think Navarro's style (especially post-1990) is much like Jimmy Page's.
I agree. It's in large part due to the fact Dave is influenced by a number of widely disparate guitarists, from Daniel Ash to Steve Vai to Robert Smith to Eddie Van Halen and yes, Jimmy Page. You listen to one song on an old Janes album and you can often pick out the influence while another song from the same album shows influence from someone stylistically 180 degrees the opposite. On the other hand, there's many major guitarists you can only hear one player or one type of genre or player's influence in their sound and playing.

JOEinPHX

#122 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon May 13, 2013 1:47 pm

80s/90s guitarists influenced by Jimmy Page/Jimi Hendrix: ALL

There. Now that's settled.

Tyler Durden

#123 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon May 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:80s/90s guitarists influenced by Jimmy Page/Jimi Hendrix: ALL

THIS.

Now can we please get back to NOT talking about STP? :lol:

Hype

#124 Post by Hype » Mon May 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:80s/90s guitarists influenced by Jimmy Page/Jimi Hendrix: ALL

THIS.

Now can we please get back to NOT talking about STP? :lol:
Also, Jane's Addiction.

I want to know how Artemis's Toronto patio drinking scene has been so far this spring. :banana:

tubro

#125 Post by tubro » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:I predict a lot of less than half full sheds for this tour. I just dont see the draw even with AIC this time around. Janes set would have to be pretty different from anything they've played the last decade to get me to go to the local show in Irvine.
You do realize that there is a very large youth population that will come out for Circa Survive and Coheed and Cambria, right?
as big as they are with the youth, i really don't see these kids paying these prices to see their bands play short sets on a festival when they can see them headline much better venues. these kids know that shed shows blow, unless you're into singing along with the near festering corpses of fleetwood mac or tripping with phish.
i don't know when this show went on sale for jones beach, but i just checked and you can buy GA Pit tix or 10th row center seats. that ain't a good sign. it smells like a show on its way to being cancelled for poor ticket sales.