Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
creep
Site Admin

Re: Jane's is inspiring people again!

#26 Post by creep » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:54 pm

Kajicat wrote:
AdmitI wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
AdmitI wrote:Here's a pic of the mock-up of the original Strays cover.... IMO they should have stuck with it.

http://janesaddiction.org/wp-content/up ... er_art.jpg
I remember that. It's not as cheesy as what they went with, but it's still shit.
agreed
Are you Sonny by chance? I ask because your avatar is named "Sonny" for this emoticon: :sonny: Just tryin' to connect the dots :wink:
sonny is sonny. he posted when the board began.

the image is named sonny because of how he ended xiola. it is one of the "smilies" for the board.

now you are all caught up.

Mescal

#27 Post by Mescal » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:21 pm

Wasn't there a different cover for strays? It looked like the background of the actual stray cover, but it was all red, and the band wasn't on it?

AdmitI

#28 Post by AdmitI » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:42 pm

creep wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
AdmitI wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
AdmitI wrote:Here's a pic of the mock-up of the original Strays cover.... IMO they should have stuck with it.

I remember that. It's not as cheesy as what they went with, but it's still shit.
agreed
Are you Sonny by chance? I ask because your avatar is named "Sonny" for this emoticon: :sonny: Just tryin' to connect the dots :wink:

the image is named sonny because of how he ended xiola. it is one of the "smilies" for the board.

^^^
What Creep said....

Tyler Durden

#29 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:26 am

Mescal wrote:Wasn't there a different cover for strays? It looked like the background of the actual stray cover, but it was all red, and the band wasn't on it?
Yes, there was. I'm not sure it was official or if someone made it by compiling official artwork. All of the art was used as the theme for Capitol's Jane's website at the time.

Kajicat

#30 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:28 am

creep wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
AdmitI wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

agreed

Thanks for
catching
me
up

NYRexall

#31 Post by NYRexall » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:31 am

Yahoo fails to mention that despite its rudimentary album cover, the majority of that Leonard Cohen album has the best music of his career on it.

They also seem to be oblivious to the fact that they're looking at the censored cover art for Amorica (which is the Black Crowes' best album)

Japhy

#32 Post by Japhy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:45 am

I don't get the people not liking the cover at all... i don't have an issue with folk not liking it of course, but i don't really get why. It's far better than i ever thought it would be... it would have added something if the character (Perry) had a more pained look on it's face, but that's really my only quibble. I love all the bits and pieces, even if many are obvious.

But then i even dig the majority of the 20sec sound-clips, so i'm just in some kind of tripped out happy place for some reason!!! I'm sure it won't last!

Tyler Durden

#33 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:11 am

NYRexall wrote:Yahoo fails to mention that despite its rudimentary album cover, the majority of that Leonard Cohen album has the best music of his career on it.

They also seem to be oblivious to the fact that they're looking at the censored cover art for Amorica (which is the Black Crowes' best album)
:thumb: :thumb:

NYRexall

#34 Post by NYRexall » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:27 am

Japhy wrote:I don't get the people not liking the cover at all... i don't have an issue with folk not liking it of course, but i don't really get why. It's far better than i ever thought it would be... it would have added something if the character (Perry) had a more pained look on it's face, but that's really my only quibble. I love all the bits and pieces, even if many are obvious.

But then i even dig the majority of the 20sec sound-clips, so i'm just in some kind of tripped out happy place for some reason!!! I'm sure it won't last!
For me, an album cover is a huge indicator for what the music underneath it will be like. I know its associating an entire book (album) by its cover, but it's true. The more colourful or elaborate the album cover, the more I'm going to associate that colourfulness to the music itself.

Perhaps it's just a sensory thing.

JOEinPHX

#35 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:59 am

Japhy wrote:I don't get the people not liking the cover at all... i don't have an issue with folk not liking it of course, but i don't really get why.
The cucumber in Perry's speedo and the picture of Etty on the wall.

Japhy

#36 Post by Japhy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Japhy wrote:I don't get the people not liking the cover at all... i don't have an issue with folk not liking it of course, but i don't really get why.
Fair enough!!! Gotta say that i think the over-sized cock is hilarious... the photo's a bit much but then images of his chicks on the record covers is hardly a new thing - but then yeah, we all pretty liked the previous birds!
NYRexall wrote:For me, an album cover is a huge indicator for what the music underneath it will be like. I know its associating an entire book (album) by its cover, but it's true. The more colourful or elaborate the album cover, the more I'm going to associate that colourfulness to the music itself.

Yeah, i agree with you 100%... but then i like the cover so it's not putting me off the content. I admit it's different and not exactly "edgy" but it's good enough - i was so, so dejected by Strays that this just feels infinitely better.

Pure Method

#37 Post by Pure Method » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:38 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
and it's ugly, and in no way cool

kv

#38 Post by kv » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:13 pm

NYRexall wrote:
Japhy wrote:I don't get the people not liking the cover at all... i don't have an issue with folk not liking it of course, but i don't really get why. It's far better than i ever thought it would be... it would have added something if the character (Perry) had a more pained look on it's face, but that's really my only quibble. I love all the bits and pieces, even if many are obvious.

For me, an album cover is a huge indicator for what the music underneath it will be like. I know its associating an entire book (album) by its cover, but it's true. The more colourful or elaborate the album cover, the more I'm going to associate that colourfulness to the music itself.

perhaps? so what did the white album tell ya when you saw it?

kv

#39 Post by kv » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:14 pm

the album while better then i thought it would be doesn't make it to what i think is good...but it's better then strays..i don't get how people can not understand..that likes are on scales...ie if strays was a boring 2 on the scale and tega is better then it to say a 6 it's still bleh to my tastes without me hating it

Pure Method

#40 Post by Pure Method » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:53 am

agree k-v. people think all negations are equal in nature. But I'll go on the record as saying: I hate the strays cover, this one is very ugly. just because one is 'better' doesn't make it good. It doesn't really mean anything at all.

tubro

#41 Post by tubro » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
NYRexall wrote:Yahoo fails to mention that despite its rudimentary album cover, the majority of that Leonard Cohen album has the best music of his career on it.

:thumb: :thumb:
i second those thumbs up. truth is that the article is pretty fucking stupid. it takes TGEA, which like most art, reasonable people can differ over, concludes its shit, and then compares it with some objectively silly album covers (which, by the way, are the ones that look most like Strays - just a photographer taking a posed shot of the band) -- Orleans, ELP, but then juxtaposes it with some iconic stuff that the writer just has a problem with (magical mystery tour) and other graphic art which is as subjective as to love/hate as TGEA. just stupid, really. some of the comments are a little funny though.

but holy shit, that leonard cohen album, cover notwithstanding, is some fucking great stuff.