Jane's to play solo show in Santiago - Oct 15.

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Larry B.

Jane's to play solo show in Santiago - Oct 15.

#1 Post by Larry B. » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:32 am

Today I read the news. Still no information on tickets. The only way I'm going is if it's reasonably priced (i.e., cheap) and if one of my mates, the one with whom I deeply shared Jane's Addiction when we were about 16, decides to go. Exclusively for the nostalgia value. Oh, and only if we have seats. I seriously have no interest at all, except for hanging out with this friend.

The venue can hold around 5,000 people.

I'd be really, REALLY surprised if they don't cancel the show due to low sales.

We'll see.

Artemis

Re: Jane's to play solo show in Santiago - Oct 15.

#2 Post by Artemis » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:03 am

I would go.

It's not like they've played there much before, so it would be worth it to go, imo.

Do you think the tickets will be over $100(USD)?

bman

#3 Post by bman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:24 am

They still play good shows, they just can't write new music!

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:33 am

Artemis wrote:I would go.

It's not like they've played there much before, so it would be worth it to go, imo.

The cheapest ticket will be around USD 50. I talked to my friend and he couldn't believe it, so I think we're going.

I have to say, I sort of enjoyed his naivety. "If it's the 25th anniversary of Nothing's Shocking, they will play the entire album and not that shit they put out after Just Because". I don't have the heart to tell him that they'll probably play 8 songs, including summer hits like Another Soulmate.

I'm sure it'll be fun anyway.

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Artemis wrote:I would go.

The cheapest ticket will be around USD 50. I talked to my friend and he couldn't believe it, so I think we're going.

I have to say, I sort of enjoyed his naivety. "If it's the 25th anniversary of Nothing's Shocking, they will play the entire album and not that shit they put out after Just Because". I don't have the heart to tell him that they'll probably play 8 songs, including summer hits like Another Soulmate.

I'm sure it'll be fun anyway.
One thing is for sure, Etty Farrell will be there to sit in a chair behind the drum riser, sit in a swing above the stage, and grind her vag against a pole while cooing background vocals... all for YOUR entertainment.

That alone is worth at least 3 cents of that 50 bucks.

Larry B.

#6 Post by Larry B. » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:12 pm

I'm thinking of taking a "Larry B." banner of sorts. Right now I can't come up with a comment cheeky enough. "ANR.org says hi!"

nausearockpig

#7 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:05 pm

I'd go for sure.. Those of us who don't live in backwater regions of the world are spoiled for choice...

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Larry B. wrote:I'm thinking of taking a "Larry B." banner of sorts. Right now I can't come up with a comment cheeky enough. "ANR.org says hi!"
Since she's a member of the band and will probably be playing 2nd guitar by the time you see them, you might catch one of these from her:

Noonesshocking

#9 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Larry B. wrote:I'm thinking of taking a "Larry B." banner of sorts. Right now I can't come up with a comment cheeky enough. "ANR.org says hi!"
ANR(formerly xiola, you know, that website you loved).org says hello!

sinep

#10 Post by sinep » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Larry B. wrote: including summer hits like Another Soulmate.
what?

Larry B.

#11 Post by Larry B. » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:00 am

I've just talked to a friend who saw them in Argentina a couple of years back, asking him if they were going again.

He reminded me that the last time they were there, they had to scale back from a 10k arena to a 3k basketball court, and only around 1,000 people showed up, after they WERE GIVING TICKETS AWAY AT THE ENTRANCE DUE TO LOW SALES. So yeah, very slim chances of their ever performing in Argentina ever again.

If they don't cancel their show in Chile, I'd be fucking amazed. And sad for my friend.

kv

#12 Post by kv » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:11 am

it's such a shame they ran jane's into the ground :no:

Matov

#13 Post by Matov » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Larry B. wrote:I've just talked to a friend who saw them in Argentina a couple of years back, asking him if they were going again.

He reminded me that the last time they were there, they had to scale back from a 10k arena to a 3k basketball court, and only around 1,000 people showed up, after they WERE GIVING TICKETS AWAY AT THE ENTRANCE DUE TO LOW SALES. So yeah, very slim chances of their ever performing in Argentina ever again.

If they don't cancel their show in Chile, I'd be fucking amazed. And sad for my friend.
Actually Larry, that last janes show in argentina was booked on a small theater from the go. granted it was a small venue, but attendance wasn't an issue for that one:

The first time they played here, though, tickets for that one were for free, it was a promotional Movistar free show. Attendance for that one was shitty, even with free admission.

This year they've been announced as a part of Personal Fest, playing before headliners Muse. Capacity for the venue, i think, is 10.000. Good luck with that one guys.
The only way i can see more than a thousand people seeing janes, is if they're early to see Muse.

And also, they've just announced Lolla for Buenos Aires in 2014. They've made a partnership with Fenix Entertainment Group, a local promoter with the festival organising skills of a butcher. :noclue:

Larry B.

#14 Post by Larry B. » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Hahaha, isn't Felix Entertainment Group Chilean? I can't remember what shows they've organized, to be honest. Lolla has worked just fine here, but there are many cultural differences between Chile and Argentina that might come into play. I hope you get good artists!

Matov

#15 Post by Matov » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Most likely it'll happen around Lolla Chile and Lolla Brazil so it'll be similar headliners i guess?

Larry B.

#16 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:54 am

Today's show was scheduled for 9:30 PM, but Chile's decisive qualification match for the World Cup is also scheduled for today, at 8:30 PM, and it lasts about 110 minutes.

Sooo, doors will open at 7 PM, screens will show the match, and Jane's Addiction will start playing around 10:30 PM, after the match is over. Nice gesture, but risky... there is a chance Chile doesn't qualify directly today, which would be a major disappointment.

Anyways, I thought it was funny in an interview (http://www.eldinamo.cl/2013/10/11/janes ... a-ecuador/) how they quote Chris Chaney as Jane's drummer.

Matov

#17 Post by Matov » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:09 am

Hope you enjoy yourself Larry!
A friend hooked me up with tickets for this past weekend's show in buenos aires, got to see both janes and muse for free so it was cool.
It was pretty much the same tired show/set they've been doing since forever. Only this time, being as unmoved as i was to see the band for the third year in a row playing the exact same show, i decided to focus my attention on dave. he may be the laziest, he may not want to be there at all, which is the vibe he kind of sends, he may even throw his hissy fits here and there if he¿s not pleased with the sound or whatever. but man oh man is he good. he just shreds those licks and solos effortlessly...
Anyway hope you enjoy yourself larry!! and good luck with the quali match!

Artemis

#18 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:36 am

Have a good tiem tonight, Larry!

Have you got a special outfit picked out to wear to the show? :lol:

Larry B.

#19 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:38 am

Matov wrote:Hope you enjoy yourself Larry!
A friend hooked me up with tickets for this past weekend's show in buenos aires, got to see both janes and muse for free so it was cool.
It was pretty much the same tired show/set they've been doing since forever. Only this time, being as unmoved as i was to see the band for the third year in a row playing the exact same show, i decided to focus my attention on dave. he may be the laziest, he may not want to be there at all, which is the vibe he kind of sends, he may even throw his hissy fits here and there if he¿s not pleased with the sound or whatever. but man oh man is he good. he just shreds those licks and solos effortlessly...
Anyway hope you enjoy yourself larry!! and good luck with the quali match!
Thank you... you could help us not handing the match to the charrúas! :cheers:

Oh, and that's too bad that they play the same old songs... I still had a small hope that they'd prepared a tiny surprise for us. Oh well, it's Jane's Addiction after all. You gotta keep your expectations low.

Larry B.

#20 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:43 am

Artemis wrote:Have a good tiem tonight, Larry!

I'm leaning towards this style:

Artemis

#21 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:14 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Artemis wrote:Have a good tiem tonight, Larry!

I'm leaning towards this style:

Hot! :boobs: :lol:

Larry B.

#22 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:41 pm

Well, I just got back from the best Jane's Addiction show I've ever seen live.

This was my third show (the first being Maquinaria 2009, with Eric, and the second being Lolla Chile 2010, with Chaney.)

Doors were open by 8.30 PM, as Chile's national football team was playing against Ecuador and the venue was broadcasting the match for those who purchased a ticket for Jane's (which was a nice gesture). If they won, they qualified for the World Cup next year. As the teams were singing their national anthems, this is what the venue looked like:

I thought "this is it. That's the amount of people that's going to show up for this show. How sad."

As the game went on, more people started arriving...

And then some more...

Chile won 2-1 and they qualified for the World Cup. Happy start to the night. By now the place was actually packed (probably 2,000 or 2,300 people) and I was crossing my fingers so that JA wouldn't disappoint my friend, who had been waiting 16 years for this moment.

They came out quite anti-climatically. Perk spent a whole 2 or 3 minutes on the stage alone, as Etty and friend were located on position and Perry finally came out at the same time as Dave did. The place actually went pretty wild. And Underground opened the night.

As a fat woman stood up in front of me, I thought it was a good time to take the only pictures I'd take throughout the night.

(You can actually see a guy's leg in the air here, near Chaney)

The crowd loved every minute of the show. The difference between this solo show and the shows I'd seen in festivals was striking. The crowd were dancing and singing, there was constant crowdsurfing, Perry took a girl onstage at the beginning of Three Days and even though there was a bit of an awkward moment because Perry had no idea how to tell her kindly that she should go back in the crowd, the girl finally took action and just jumped into the open arms of the audience. The only song during which the audience wasn't as active was during Ted. Apart from that, the people were brilliant.

Surprisingly, I don't have too many complains about Perry. Not because I just accepted that he mumbles everything, but because he actually SANG during the whole show. He screamed, people of ANR. He actually screamed and went for most of those high notes. I saw him singing with a bit of passion, for once. The only exception was Ain't No Right, which he sang as a lullaby as usual. But Ocean Size was really good, Mountain Song was great, Three Days was flawless, Had a Dad surprised me...

Dave was lazy but secure throughout. Nothing of note here. The entire band was great for Up The Beach, but I have to say I 'felt' that song and Three Days very deeply, like... "wow, these songs are sooo good, man..."

The set was almost the same as Buenos Aires' from last night, except that we got Up The Beach:

Underground
Mountain Song
Just Because
Had a Dad
Ted, Just Admit It...
Been Caught Stealing
Ain't No Right
Up the Beach
Three Days
Ocean Size
Stop!
-----------------
Chip Away
Jane Says

I was very grateful for the fact that the band kept the energy very high up until Stop.

Oh, and Perry committed one of the worst faux pas that I've ever seen. In Chile, there is some sort of thing people shout to demonstrate pride for their nationality: Viva Chile, mierda! (which would be something like "Chile fucking rules!") Well, apparently someone informed Perry of this custom so that he would say it at some point during the show, especially given the fact that the team had qualified for the World Cup. Well, before Chip Away he says something like "People told me that you like saying something... Santiago... ermmm... SANTIAGO ES MIERDA!!" Santiago es mierda means "Santiago is shit." Not even "it's the shit." Just shit. "Do you like that, Santiago??" "NOOOOOOOOOOOO"... so he just sort of laughed like the braindead man he is, not understanding what had gone wrong, and just said "well, the team won! so let's celebrate!" and went into Chip Away. There is no facepalm big enough for that one.

The show was great. I couldn't believe the intensity and effort that Perry seemed to put into every song. He danced like a stupid fool, as usual, but it didn't really bother me.

Oh, and a couple of pretty hot women kept making eye contact with me throughout the show, at different points... and giving me sort of seductive smiles, which I of course returned. It was a nice touch that made me feel like a stallion, so I had to share it here.

Overall, an amazing night. My friend was stoked and kept telling me "YOU TOLD ME PERRY COULDN'T EVEN SING." He said it's easily one of the Top 3 shows he's ever seen. Not that he knows a lot about music, but still. This is a guy who started liking Jane's at the same time I did, and who's been waiting for the possibility of seeing them ever since.

And finally, it was really beautiful watching all these people headbanging, playing air guitar, air drums, even air bass... people singing along, welcoming the first chords of every song, shouting Perry's name... very, very moving for me as a fan who knows far more of this band and its inner works than any of the other members of the audience. It made me think that this audience deserved this quality of a show and that Jane's, putting a show of this quality, deserved this commitment from the audience.

Great night, great show, viva Chile and Jane's Addiction.

kv

#23 Post by kv » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:46 pm

can't tell if trollin'

Larry B.

#24 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:01 pm

kv wrote:can't tell if trollin'
Nope, it was really good. I had a great time and so did everyone else. :noclue:

I'm gonna look for videos tomorrow to see how it looked.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#25 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:03 pm

kv wrote:can't tell if trollin'
:lolol: