another soulmate-listen here

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
creep
Site Admin

Re: another soulmate-listen here

#101 Post by creep » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:54 am

with amazon we can track how fast this races up the chart to the eventual #1 spot.

i will track it every few days

currently:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,295 Paid in MP3 Songs

Larry B.

#102 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:01 am

We need a transcript of the lyrics.

trevor ayer

#103 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:37 am

NYRexall wrote:
someguy wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:pretty hate sold pretty shitty till they got over on the first lolla .. most of janes was written prior to nothings shocking being released save obvious and of course and been caught .. which are not very nin y at all .. maybe modern nu janes loves nin .. i wouldn't be surprised .. they both go for that corporate sell out sound these days .. conclusively NIN had absolutely no influence on Janes Addiction xxx - ritual .. end of discussion .. carry on bashing another soulmate :boobs:
Can you reimagine another shitmate?
+1

For all those people who think Another Soulmate couldn't possibly be any shittier, Trevor's got you covered.

Hey that's not very nice .. just cuz u lost the NIN arguement you gotta be mean? :eyes: .. fixed is still the best record since kettle :flip:

nausearockpig

#104 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:56 am

On this weeks episode of Futurama, Bender calls his lost shiny metal ass his soulmate.

What an odd coincidence...

CaseyContrarian

#105 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:35 am

I think the thing that gets me is that Perry FB status update where he shits on other songwriters and talks about how much Herculean effort goes into crafting a great tune.

Which AS most assuredly is not, even if it was by some random band.

bman

#106 Post by bman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:46 am

This song is like Nasty Little Perv, Go All The Way, etc. These are the songs Perry writes these days. I had hoped Perry would have gone more hippy trippy acoustic like Agua in his older years, unfortunately, he's gone vegas electronica. The real bummer is the music itself. It's more an indictment on Dave and Steve. They either lost it, never had it, or simply don't give a shit anymore. That is not a Janes Addiction song. I'll take EVERY track on Strays and TGEA over this.

Tyler Durden

#107 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:01 am

bman wrote:This song is like Nasty Little Perv, Go All The Way, etc. These are the songs Perry writes these days. I had hoped Perry would have gone more hippy trippy acoustic like Agua in his older years, unfortunately, he's gone vegas electronica. The real bummer is the music itself. It's more an indictment on Dave and Steve. They either lost it, never had it, or simply don't give a shit anymore. That is not a Janes Addiction song. I'll take EVERY track on Strays and TGEA over this.
Dave and Stephen just don't give a shit anymore. It's easier to just go through the motions and collect a paycheck as opposed to trying to fight Perry over every little thing. They'll make more money off the "Another Shitmate" download and opening for fake Alice In Chains than they would off another Panic Channel album and tour. They're whores. It's as simple as that.

It's more of an indictment of Perry. He's the one always running his mouth, as well as writing songs about other people. He was the golden boy of the 90s alternative nation...now he's beyond a fucking joke...but because he has power and is a has been (as opposed to a never was), people in the industry will continue to worship him until the day he dies (regardless of his shitty output) because he earned it. It's just sad because of all the alt icons of the late 80s/early 90s, Perry is the last person I thought would end up on this path. It's embarrassing.

farrellgirl99

#108 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:02 am

it doesn't bug me because it's not a great song, it bugs me because its embarassing.

i dont think ive ever been embarassed by a janes song before. i know some people feel that way about superhero or end to the lies, but there is no comparison for me. just straight up embarassing. i wouldnt want someone hearing that and then thinking i like jane's addiction.

Tyler Durden

#109 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:07 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:it doesn't bug me because it's not a great song, it bugs me because its embarassing.

i dont think ive ever been embarassed by a janes song before. i know some people feel that way about superhero or end to the lies, but there is no comparison for me. just straight up embarassing. i wouldnt want someone hearing that and then thinking i like jane's addiction.
Yup. This is getting comparable to Jerry Only's version of The Misfits. It's like "Burn all their records and shirts before some finds them!" bad.

bman

#110 Post by bman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:06 am

I just listened again. I listened to the whole song. This is 50X's better than Nasty Little Perv, Go All The Way, and I Like Em Big!! I just turned off Nasty Litlle PErv and Go All The Way after 25 seconds....Another Soulmate is gold compared to those songs! I guess Dave and Steve do deserve some credit afterall!

Tyler Durden

#111 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:23 am

Even the cover is indicative of the song's quality: empty and lazy. It says "We've given up even trying".

LJF

#112 Post by LJF » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:24 am

Dave and Stephen just don't give a shit anymore. It's easier to just go through the motions and collect a paycheck as opposed to trying to fight Perry over every little thing. They'll make more money off the "Another Shitmate" download and opening for fake Alice In Chains than they would off another Panic Channel album and tour. They're whores. It's as simple as that.

Look at all that Dave has done with the reality shows, you had to know he was a whore. But whatever he wants and loves the attention. As far as Stephen who knows he might be thinking he has to cash in while he still can. I haven't even been able to listen to the song all the way because it just seems so bad. They should stop recording under JA and do this bullshit under another name. I know they can't because the name JA still pulls people in and that is the only way to get people to listen. At some point that will stop.

When was the last time Perry wrote anything worth listening to? And yes I'm one of the people that is ok with a new p4p cd. I know it sounds stupid, but I for some reason hold out hope that there is still some magic with those guys. Maybe there are some old songs still left on paper somewhere that Perry can't fuck up.

Stickyfingers

#113 Post by Stickyfingers » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:37 pm

With lyrics and musics we are not far from "Suffer Some"... but Another Soulmate is just like... a demo song.
Need more work and ideas.

Eric bassline and a smart production that Janes lacks since Dave Jerden era.
Everybody knew Jane's are best live. So producer have to keep their raw energy on studio without flat overproduction and overdub.

Listen "Suffer Some" demo live, and how they cut and ruined on Strays :no:

Diabolik

#114 Post by Diabolik » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm conspiracy minded to begin with but , I almost think having a new song/material was somehow contractually part of being on the Uproar thing.

The band just doesn't do this kinda' stuff, seems forced and of course they go back to the well of old/abandoned songs when it comes to releasing something. Just...Someone mentioned lazy and that's what feels like. That cover is so sad. I know it's a digital single, but man, you could have spend a few cents and made something. Use a photo, buy some clip art, anything.

I'm surprised they are even promoting the song. If you look in the Alternative or Rock sections of iTunes, it's not even showing up for the new music this week. It's just buried.

Also painting 2 minutes of song, as if it's some Minuteman virtue is as sad. It's not like two minutes or blistering speed and rock energy.

It literally feels like: we have to have new music available this summer in order to be on the tour. Minimum is a one new song, and that track has to be at least 2 minutes long to be considered a modern song.

It's all minimum requirements at this point...

EDIT: Of course I just did some googling, and AIC and C&C have new music out this summer to promote. Wonder why JA is even on the tour...

Tyler Durden

#115 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Diabolik wrote:Wonder why JA is even on the tour...

feathers mcgraw

#116 Post by feathers mcgraw » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:15 pm

trevor ayer wrote:
NYRexall wrote:
feathers mcgraw wrote:Those synths where the guitar should be sound like Down In It by Nine Inch Nails.
Waiting to hear what that guy Trevor who says Jane's are in no way inspired by NIN has to say about this..
janes was done before nin started .. wtf are u talking about? try the cure joy division bauhaus vu stooges zep doors even gd for inspiration .. nin came after janes .. :essence:
So you're saying that after Jane's 1.0 split up they stopped listening to new music and stopped getting inspired by new stuff that's been coming out over the last 20 years?

JOEinPHX

#117 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:35 pm

feathers mcgraw wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:
NYRexall wrote:
feathers mcgraw wrote:Those synths where the guitar should be sound like Down In It by Nine Inch Nails.
Waiting to hear what that guy Trevor who says Jane's are in no way inspired by NIN has to say about this..
janes was done before nin started .. wtf are u talking about? try the cure joy division bauhaus vu stooges zep doors even gd for inspiration .. nin came after janes .. :essence:
So you're saying that after Jane's 1.0 split up they stopped listening to new music and stopped getting inspired by new stuff that's been coming out over the last 20 years?
I think that is what Trevor is saying.

Which of course is :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

CaseyContrarian

#118 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:47 pm

God. It's just sad. I didn't even want to think about the single "art." They need to stop. It's a sham. Nobody even should bother paying attention anymore. They aren't trying. They aren't writing as a band. It's over. Just a sequence of betrayals to Art itself -- the very impulse to expression that PF once so vehemently defended, and in a flash, embodied.

I hope they are reading. I'd tell that to their faces.

I know a lot of people. I understand a lot of drama and business issues. But if you cannot, or refuse to, create for either your own self-illumination, or those who are guided by your inspiration, than please, GIVE THE FUCK UP.

Tyler Durden

#119 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:56 pm

We've had this conversation a million times before...but to think that only 4-5 years ago, Jane's was poised for greatness, on the cusp of burying Strays and all the bullshit that followed with SP vs. TPC. They were playing clubs with Eric, talking of recording new music together (with Trent fucking Reznor), and attempting to bring their image back to what it had been years ago (in some form). Another Shitmate is just another reminder of all that could have been and another slap in the face to the devoted. I'm not surprised by this song's suckage (I had VERY low expectations)...but jesus christ, what a clusterfuck this band has become. :no:

creep
Site Admin

#120 Post by creep » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:58 pm

creep wrote:with amazon we can track how fast this races up the chart to the eventual #1 spot.

i will track it every few days

currently:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,295 Paid in MP3 Songs
shit what the hell is happening here
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3,854 Paid in MP3 Songs

NYRexall

#121 Post by NYRexall » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:08 pm

trevor ayer wrote: Hey that's not very nice .. just cuz u lost the NIN arguement you gotta be mean? :eyes: .. fixed is still the best record since kettle :flip:
:lol:

Lost the argument? I called you out for your boneheaded assertion that NIN began after Jane's broke up and then you responded with more of your classic subterfuge :noclue:

I don't see how that equates to me losing the argument, but I wasn't exactly trying to win anything either.

embrace_the_darkness

#122 Post by embrace_the_darkness » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:07 pm

The auto tuning on the vocals.... Good god.

You can't hide behind statements like "that's how modern records are made"... There is no defending this shit

Artemis

#123 Post by Artemis » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:16 pm

not trying to change the subject of this thread but i just came across another song about soulmates. :lol:

this one is by joan jett.

Soulmates to Strangers

Noonesshocking

#124 Post by Noonesshocking » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:38 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:We've had this conversation a million times before...but to think that only 4-5 years ago, Jane's was poised for greatness, on the cusp of burying Strays and all the bullshit that followed with SP vs. TPC. They were playing clubs with Eric, talking of recording new music together (with Trent fucking Reznor), and attempting to bring their image back to what it had been years ago (in some form). Another Shitmate is just another reminder of all that could have been and another slap in the face to the devoted. I'm not surprised by this song's suckage (I had VERY low expectations)...but jesus christ, what a clusterfuck this band has become. :no:
Motherfucking this. In 2008/2009, they had a HUGE opportunity to rectify some bad decisions that seem relatively minor today compared to what has transpired since 2010.

If they had stuck it out, taken it seriously with Eric, and put out a good record, so much would be different. Obviously, they would have restored and continued their legacy. Paradoxically, it also would have probably made us look back on strays more fondly, because we would have seen it in an entirely differently context. I think it would be considered sort of their "one hot minute" (not that its nearly as good as that record, but I think people can see what I'm getting at).

In summary, it was in perry, dave, and stephen's best interest to take the reunion fucking seriously. Not only could jane's have restored and continued their legacy, it probably would have put 01-03 in a better light, thereby enhancing their stature and making our overall perception of them more positive. Instead, they sprayed liquid diarrhea all over the name. Thankfully, YouTube allows new fans to see what they once were.

bman

#125 Post by bman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:45 pm

You're right. They blew a HUGE opportunity with Eric. But he is the one who left..again. The issue is so much deeper than Perry. These guys HAVEN'T been a band since 91! Even now it's just a touring act. They communicate with eachother through management emails! Perry goes on vacations when they should be rehearsing! I love the guy but Eric was right, Jane's aint the most important thing to him. These guys just aren't a band. Fortunately from 86-91 they WERE. That's what we have. They still play great cover songs, and Perry still is an entertaining Frontman, but they are not a real band.