The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
CaseyContrarian

Re: The official "The Great Escape Artist" thread

#226 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:53 pm

It's true. If they had been able to release more stuff, we'd at least have been slowly acclimated to the Jane's we have today. Not saying it wouldn't still be disappointing, but maybe not quite so shocking. So to speak.

NYRexall

#227 Post by NYRexall » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:53 am

imail724 wrote:Don't doubt it. New Puscifer album comes out the same day as TGEA and there's already album art, full tracklist, and 30 second previews of each track on Amazon.
After hearing this, I may just take the money I was going to cough up for TGEA and drop it on Maynard's new stuff. At least I know I'll be getting credible music from a relevant musician who's still challenging himself in all the right ways.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#228 Post by Hokahey » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:17 am

NYRexall wrote: After hearing this, I may just take the money I was going to cough up for TGEA and drop it on Maynard's new stuff. At least I know I'll be getting credible music from a relevant musician who's still challenging himself in all the right ways.

I thought the first Puscifer was pretty piss poor. The album art was retarded and the title was worse than The Great Escape Artist. Maynard has been on the decline since Mer De Noms. The second APC was good, but it's been relatively downhill since. It seems anytime a musician steps out from the shadows and removes the mystery their art suffers.

Juana

#229 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 am

hokahey wrote:
NYRexall wrote: After hearing this, I may just take the money I was going to cough up for TGEA and drop it on Maynard's new stuff. At least I know I'll be getting credible music from a relevant musician who's still challenging himself in all the right ways.

I thought the first Puscifer was pretty piss poor. The album art was retarded and the title was worse than The Great Escape Artist. Maynard has been on the decline since Mer De Noms. The second APC was good, but it's been relatively downhill since. It seems anytime a musician steps out from the shadows and removes the mystery their art suffers.
The new APC stuff that has been floating around is actually really good. I also happened to like most of 10000 days, it reminded me a lot more of Aenima. Lateralus wasn't too bad either.

imail724

#230 Post by imail724 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:20 am

hokahey wrote:

I highly recommend you check out Puscifer's "C is for..." Ep or the previews of the new tracks on Amazon. They are both much more mature than the first album.

JOEinPHX

#231 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:43 pm

imail724 wrote:Don't doubt it. New Puscifer album comes out the same day as TGEA and there's already album art, full tracklist, and 30 second previews of each track on Amazon.
Yeah but Maynard takes music seriously.

There will be new music by Puscifer, APC, and Tool within the next 9 months.

It takes Perry 10 years to put out that music music.

JOEinPHX

#232 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:47 pm

hokahey wrote:

I thought the first Puscifer was pretty piss poor. The album art was retarded and the title was worse than The Great Escape Artist.
It's a joke though. Puscifer is 50% serious music, and 50% humor.
Maynard has been on the decline since Mer De Noms. The second APC was good, but it's been relatively downhill since.
i disagree. Downhill with what?

With Emotive? It was a cover album of politically motivated songs. What did you expect?
It seems anytime a musician steps out from the shadows and removes the mystery their art suffers.
You need to keep what he is doing in context. As i said before, half of Puscifer is a joke. I mean the name itself comes from "Pussy" and "Lucifer"

JOEinPHX

#233 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:49 pm

PF, on twitter, says...
Waiting to get the final image, and mix back from NY for The Great Escape Artist. Please respond. Must put the boys to bed. Will check back.
So, does that mean Dave was in NY for 3 weeks doing the mixing? He was due to fly back to LA today or tomorrow.

Can't be a coincidence.

Matz

#234 Post by Matz » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:47 am

Dave doing three weeks of mixing? doesn't sound like something he'd do? More like an hour, but maybe I'm wrong and he really, really cares about this album

AdmitI

#235 Post by AdmitI » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:00 am

@davenavarro6767Dave Navarro

@Billy If they let me I would NEVER stop turning knobs...........

Juana

#236 Post by Juana » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:28 pm

AdmitI wrote:@davenavarro6767Dave Navarro

@Billy If they let me I would NEVER stop turning knobs...........
Maybe he should have joined the Axl Rose band they would get along great with mixing and tweaking something until it sucks

NYRexall

#237 Post by NYRexall » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:14 am

hokahey wrote:

I can't really add much tot he argument that others already did: Puscifer = half experimental/half joke...APC albums only halfway-decent...etc.

Aenima will always be the apex Tool album but Lateralus and 10K Days have held up well over the years for me. Knowing there is new Puscifer/APC/Tool coming in the next year (I hope) makes for exciting times if you're a Maynard fan, if the quality of his output is anything to go by.

A 10 song album from a band that resembles little of its former self after 8 years of waiting...well, we'll judge it warts and all when we finally hear it.

bman

#238 Post by bman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:47 am

Lets put it this way..I don't count Best Ofs.

Since 1991, Perry has released:
P4P 1993
GGU 1996
SYTBS 2001
Strays 2003
UPLSP 2007

I hate Strays and never ever listen to it. However, we wouldn't be so damn harsh and judgemental if Perry didn't wait 5/6 years between releases!

Turncoat

#239 Post by Turncoat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:13 am

Let's all be a little more optimistic. Sure, JA has been kind of a terrible slut of a girlfriend... but maybe she's up to something good. Maybe there's a plan. Maybe things were learned. Maybe there's some self-awareness. Maybe certain people have grown, as people. Maybe they realize that their reputations and retirement are perched on the shoulders of this album. This could be the "Shit... we screwed around and dicked off... let's show everybody that there's still magic in the fire" turning point...

...or it'll sound like crap... :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#240 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Turncoat wrote:Let's all be a little more optimistic. Sure, JA has been kind of a terrible slut of a girlfriend... but maybe she's up to something good.
:hs:
Maybe there's a plan.
:no:
Maybe things were learned.
:lol:
Maybe there's some self-awareness.
:balls:
Maybe certain people have grown, as people.
:crazy:
Maybe they realize that their reputations and retirement are perched on the shoulders of this album.
:bs:
This could be the "Shit... we screwed around and dicked off... let's show everybody that there's still magic in the fire" turning point...
:jasper:
...or it'll sound like crap... :noclue:
:thumb:

Jammyshill

#241 Post by Jammyshill » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:08 pm

Yawn. I have no problem reading contrasting view points, but whenever I see that you've post, I know it is going to resemble a cocky/ petulant teenager who's trying to impress his mates by telling them how shit something is. Over and over. You're very, very predictable, and very, very boring.

JOEinPHX

#242 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:10 pm

Jammyshill wrote:Yawn. I have no problem reading contrasting view points, but whenever I see that you've post, I know it is going to resemble a cocky/ petulant teenager who's trying to impress his mates by telling them how shit something is. Over and over. You're very, very predictable, and very, very boring.
Who are you addressing?

kv

#243 Post by kv » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:19 pm

well jimmy wanna talk about boring? good thing you have the serenity of a heavy modded board back at mikes site.

where everyone has to stay positive or risk being on mod que or insta-banned...thats boring too right?

right?

Jammyshill

#244 Post by Jammyshill » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:26 pm

kv wrote:well jimmy wanna talk about boring? good thing you have the serenity of a heavy modded board back at mikes site.

where everyone has to stay positive or risk being on mod que or insta-banned...thats boring too right?

right?
What has that got to do with one person posting the same kind of thing time after time after time after time? Maybe reread my post, and then see why your response is pretty irrelevant to what I posted.

kv

#245 Post by kv » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:35 pm

i just find it funny when you mike site'ers come here crying ..you know whats here...you know who is vocal...do you really think telling 6767 his shit is old is gonna change him in the slightest? you are wasting your time...and if it's so important to you to avoid such posters wtf are you even here? you have the perfect site to meet your needs at mikes no? not that i am telling you to go home or anything...now reread this post and my other one and see why it is relevant :lolol:

Jammyshill

#246 Post by Jammyshill » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:55 pm

kv wrote:i just find it funny when you mike site'ers come here crying ..you know whats here...you know who is vocal...do you really think telling 6767 his shit is old is gonna change him in the slightest? you are wasting your time...and if it's so important to you to avoid such posters wtf are you even here? you have the perfect site to meet your needs at mikes no? not that i am telling you to go home or anything...now reread this post and my other one and see why it is relevant :lolol:
Jesus H.

So I' not allowed to tell a certain poster I find their content predictable and boring? I thought this was an unmodded board where all opinions can roam free?

"Avoid certain posters?" Talk about making an ocean from a raindrop. I've told ONE person I'm finding them repetitive.

"Mike's place?" Get a grip, whenever the serial posters on here get rattled by someone's view it's all "fuck off to Mike's place if you don't like it." Grow up, I couldn't give a shit about any other site, my post is in direct relation to ONE poster on THIS site.

JOEinPHX

#247 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:00 am

i don't even know what i said. the last post i made was a series of smilies.

Then we get jammy with her generalized "you're so predictable going against the grain to impress everyone" comment, which is kind of laughable. Why would anyone be impressed with me going AGAINST their own thoughts?

If anything you'd think they would be pissed at me.

Instead, they are pissed at you.

So maybe your theory isn't that solid.

Plus, really, i don't think anyone cares what i think, nor do they think i care about their opinions of what i have to say. If i was looking for approval, i would come over and hang out with Mike, Eric, and the other 2 people who post there.

Jammyshill

#248 Post by Jammyshill » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:09 am

Six7Six7 wrote:i don't even know what i said. the last post i made was a series of smilies.

Then we get jammy with her generalized "you're so predictable going against the grain to impress everyone" comment, which is kind of laughable. Why would anyone be impressed with me going AGAINST their own thoughts?

If anything you'd think they would be pissed at me.

Instead, they are pissed at you.

So maybe your theory isn't that solid.

Plus, really, i don't think anyone cares what i think, nor do they think i care about their opinions of what i have to say. If i was looking for approval, i would come over and hang out with Mike, Eric, and the other 2 people who post there.
There's no problem then. I read here most days, seldom post, and find myself agreeing with some things that you post. I feel that your attitude towards PF differs to mine, which I can live with, but the way it's expressed can get tiresome, leaning towards condescending, as if people who don't agree are idiots.

Like yourself I couldn't care less if people don't like what I've posted, but I'd prefer it if it developed into a discussion as opposed to a slanging match or the textbook defensive "well go to Mike's site" slurs. If that's not possible then fuck it, I'm not getting any further involved.

JOEinPHX

#249 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:20 am

Excellent idea, not getting involved i mean.

The thing is, on message boards, opinions lead to discussions. That's how it goes. Every single damn thing is nitpicked beyond all recognition, the band does something different the following week, and then opinions shift and/or evolve. It's an endless loop of "that was a dumb idea/that was great"

But for you to come in here, ignore the topic of the thread, and just make a personal attack on one singular individual, don't you think that is perhaps the very negative spirit you claim to dislike?

I see you had 5 posts when you made your remark. Whether you claim to be a "long time reader" or not, the fact of the matter is that you have not engaged in any conversation here whatsoever. So you see what you perceive as a negative comment here and demand some satisfaction, meanwhile there are things going on in others that you probably completely missed due to your own lack of time spent.

I'm sorry, but you're being rude.

If you're going to come to our playground, try being part of the team, instead of just showing up and telling us we're playing kickball incorrectly.

:rockon:

JOEinPHX

#250 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:24 am

PS, you're welcome to join us here anytime. All the topics are wide open for you to explore. You will find a wide array of characters that are very much worth knowing.