Speculation time … More new songs?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
eye

Speculation time … More new songs?

#1 Post by eye » Sat May 25, 2024 4:42 pm

So, other than the 2 we’ve heard .. you guys think there are more that have been written?

Diabolik

Re: Speculation time … More new songs?

#2 Post by Diabolik » Sat May 25, 2024 6:35 pm

I’m trying to figure out timeline…

I guess Eric came back into fold around 2022?

I hope there’s more songs. True Love and Imminent Redemption were talked about before the Pumpkins tour, I dont think there was anything else mentioned.

I think Eric and Perkins jammed a bunch so I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more things coming?

someguy

#3 Post by someguy » Sat May 25, 2024 6:45 pm

They were recording as recently as march- there has to be way more songs done than they’ve let on. If an album isn’t out in the fall it’s definitely first half of 2025

clickie

#4 Post by clickie » Sat May 25, 2024 9:00 pm

Yeah, I don't pay too close attention to Jane's overall schedule so when I saw there was a new song I was wondering how long until the album drops, now I realize how unrealistic that was of me.

favorite 77

#5 Post by favorite 77 » Sun May 26, 2024 12:51 am

I distinctly remember Perry saying in an interview, a few years ago, that for the future of Jane's he was contemplating singles, not entire albums. I think on his side the fountain is pretty dry. At first I thought that Avery's entrance would give it a new energy, but I'm beginning to doubt it. Creatively, both Farrell and Navarro are lazy, that's the reality. For me, a new album would be the surprise of the century.

Mescal

#6 Post by Mescal » Sun May 26, 2024 1:30 am

favorite 77 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 12:51 am
I distinctly remember Perry saying in an interview, a few years ago, that for the future of Jane's he was contemplating singles, not entire albums. I think on his side the fountain is pretty dry. At first I thought that Avery's entrance would give it a new energy, but I'm beginning to doubt it. Creatively, both Farrell and Navarro are lazy, that's the reality. For me, a new album would be the surprise of the century.
I don´t think Navarro is lazy.

He´s just not the most creative songwriter.

favorite 77

#7 Post by favorite 77 » Sun May 26, 2024 1:43 am

Mescal wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 1:30 am
favorite 77 wrote:
I don´t think Navarro is lazy.

He´s just not the most creative songwriter.
I understand that he is the type of guitarist who needs to associate with other musicians to create, but his need to do so is scarce. The comparison with other contemporaries of his, such as Slash or Frusciante, is glaring. I won't go into the quality of the music Slash has released in the last thirty years, which with a few exceptions leaves much to be desired, but at least the guy has creative needs and expresses them.

You're right: Navarro is probably not lazy, he just doesn't have a real creative impulse inside him.

someguy

#8 Post by someguy » Sun May 26, 2024 8:25 am

favorite 77 wrote:
It was confirmed they’re doing a new record back in February or March in that LA times article- they are keeping it pretty close to the chest other than Perry saying he’s happy with the material

favorite 77

#9 Post by favorite 77 » Sun May 26, 2024 2:27 pm

someguy wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:25 am
favorite 77 wrote:
It was confirmed they’re doing a new record back in February or March in that LA times article- they are keeping it pretty close to the chest other than Perry saying he’s happy with the material
Yes, I read that article, but since things in this band have tended in the past to be so evanescent, I didn't give it much credence. I thought they had probably started out with a great inertia for reconciliation but that it would eventually fizzle out over time and they would end up producing only a few songs. In fact, that reservation doesn't bode well for me. Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but this band have taught me to be. As of today, it would be a real surprise for me if a proper album were to be released. I hope I'm wrong.

phenobarb_bambalam

#10 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun May 26, 2024 4:11 pm

Perry and EA did an interview before they went to Australia and Perry said they're aiming for an album before the end of the year. I can't say I put much stock in comments like that, but the fact that Eric was part of the conversation gave it a bit more substance for me.

eye

#11 Post by eye » Tue May 28, 2024 7:46 am

Bets on we get studio recordings of …

Kettle whistle
Slow divers
1%

?

JOEinPHX

#12 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue May 28, 2024 8:20 am

eye wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 4:42 pm
So, other than the 2 we’ve heard .. you guys think there are more that have been written?
That last tour without Dave, didn't he say at that point he would back in LA recording while they were on the road?

I think Eric/Perk/Perry laid the groundwork for a bunch of songs, and were just waiting for Dave to finish them. And and this point he may have done so.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#13 Post by Hokahey » Tue May 28, 2024 8:43 am

eye wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 7:46 am
Bets on we get studio recordings of …

Kettle whistle
Slow divers
1%

?
I’d be surprised if they recorded Kettle again, even with Eric. And I hope they don’t re-record anything at all. Just keep moving forward.

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue May 28, 2024 8:54 am

Oh come on.

They always recycle something!

Slow Divers is totally ending up on this album.

Luckily, Perry's voice these days is suited to doing it.

someguy

#15 Post by someguy » Tue May 28, 2024 9:01 am

Kettle Whistle wouldn’t surprise me since there’s never been a studio version with Eric

I’m also curious if Embrace the Darkness and I’ll Protect You have been revived

EaSY

#16 Post by EaSY » Tue May 28, 2024 9:02 am

I kind of agree - although I just don't like the recorded version of KW at all. Its a little too fast, the electronics are misplaced, the outro is not in the spirit of the song. Oh, and Eric isn't playing what is one of his most amazing baselines. So, I would absolutely take an OG studio version of KW :nod:

Tyler Durden

#17 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue May 28, 2024 9:14 am

Do you think we’re getting the studio version of “Imminent Redemption” this Friday? (Given that’s when the tickets for the North American tour go public) :noclue:

someguy

#18 Post by someguy » Tue May 28, 2024 9:27 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 9:14 am
Do you think we’re getting the studio version of “Imminent Redemption” this Friday? (Given that’s when the tickets for the North American tour go public) :noclue:
Seems like its being set up for that- have to wonder if they’re announcing a full album at the same time

Noonesshocking

#19 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue May 28, 2024 9:34 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 9:14 am
That’s my guess because:

The studio snippet came from a festival they are playing in 2 weeks

The picture in the YouTube vid matches the tour poster.

Makes sense to start dropping stuff now in the lead up to the US tour

Noonesshocking

#20 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue May 28, 2024 12:12 pm

Just in case this doesn’t get lost in the other thread
IMG_0564.jpeg
IMG_0564.jpeg (201.1 KiB) Viewed 1072 times

Diabolik

#21 Post by Diabolik » Tue May 28, 2024 12:26 pm

I can see a proper Kettle Whistle with Eric if they do re-record. Slow Divers always felt like a throwaway track to me🤷‍♂️

I can see KW going in there with True Love and Imminent Redemption, add in I’ll Protect You and Embrace the Darkness

We’re at a theoretical 5 songs

Is 4 more too much to ask?

Do we get Drip Away and complete the trilogy? Lol

someguy

#22 Post by someguy » Tue May 28, 2024 12:38 pm

Diabolik wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 12:26 pm
I can see a proper Kettle Whistle with Eric if they do re-record. Slow Divers always felt like a throwaway track to me🤷‍♂️

I can see KW going in there with True Love and Imminent Redemption, add in I’ll Protect You and Embrace the Darkness

We’re at a theoretical 5 songs

Is 4 more too much to ask?

Wow I didn’t even think about Drip Away- they have to do that

blackula

#23 Post by blackula » Thu May 30, 2024 4:20 pm

Was the Pigs In Zen interlude in 2009 ever confirmed to be a part of a new song, or just a cool jam that wasn’t part of anything?

Diabolik

#24 Post by Diabolik » Thu May 30, 2024 5:35 pm

I think Eric said it was just a jam they had … maybe that was with Sonny?

I’d love for that be be a thing though

phenobarb_bambalam

#25 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Thu May 30, 2024 8:09 pm

Diabolik wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 12:26 pm
Perry is saving 'Strip Away' for Etty's solo album.