Janes and Love and Rockets

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Janes and Love and Rockets

#26 Post by Hokahey » Sat May 18, 2024 11:32 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 11:16 am
I saw that Cult/Bush/STP tour. I was there to see The Cult (life long fan) and thankfully, they were the headliners that night (the three bands alternated the order of appearance every night).

I always thought STP was kind of lame but had some good singles (especially “Interstate Love Song”)…same with Bush; always saw them as coattail riders or fake grunge (though I liked the odd tune like “Come Down”). Anyway, STP sucked. But Bush put on an amazing show and I was genuinely taken aback by how good they were. I didn’t start listening to them after that…but I now have a new level of respect for them as performers.
Bush (or the current iteration of) may very well be great performers, but you will never convince me they created inspired, genuine art. They could write a good tune. Much like STP. But it was mostly contrived, regurgitated faux grunge. STP was only interesting because Weiland was such a mess and great student and copier of the great frontmen of rock history. But even then, he was limited in his ability to really inspire. Point being, no one will ever mistake either band as true benchmarks in alt-rock history. That said, Purple was a fucking great album.

someguy

#27 Post by someguy » Sat May 18, 2024 12:50 pm

STP has depth and dimension to their catalog and Scott was very dynamic as a singer both in STP and solo. If his Son had it together he could step in and replace Gutt. Would breath new life into the band for sure

Gavin Rossdale is a huge tool and his music sucks

Tyler Durden

#28 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat May 18, 2024 5:10 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 11:32 am

Bush (or the current iteration of) may very well be great performers, but you will never convince me they created inspired, genuine art. They could write a good tune. Much like STP. But it was mostly contrived, regurgitated faux grunge. STP was only interesting because Weiland was such a mess and great student and copier of the great frontmen of rock history. But even then, he was limited in his ability to really inspire. Point being, no one will ever mistake either band as true benchmarks in alt-rock history. That said, Purple was a fucking great album.
I agree with everything you said here, 100%. Except the part about Purple being a great album. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#29 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon May 20, 2024 10:00 am

someguy wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 12:50 pm
STP has depth and dimension to their catalog and Scott was very dynamic as a singer both in STP and solo. If his Son had it together he could step in and replace Gutt. Would breath new life into the band for sure
I don't think they want another drug addict named Weiland getting their tours canceled.

Gutt is the right guy for that band.

Diabolik

#30 Post by Diabolik » Mon May 20, 2024 10:33 am

I’m genuinely shocked whenever anyone says they liked STP. I don’t know if it’s that first album where he sounded like Eddie Vedder, or the subsequent albums and singles that didn’t sound genuine…

But I hated that band.

I still can’t appreciate them on any level.

SR

#31 Post by SR » Mon May 20, 2024 10:39 am

Diabolik wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 10:33 am

But I hated that band.

I still can’t appreciate them on any level.
This is me on the Foos

bman

#32 Post by bman » Mon May 20, 2024 11:05 am

I never liked Foos or STP. Quit the Red Hots after OHM too.

Japhy

#33 Post by Japhy » Mon May 20, 2024 11:06 am

SR wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 10:39 am
This is me on the Foos
x2

EaSY

#34 Post by EaSY » Mon May 20, 2024 11:27 am

I saw the Foos when they first started by accident in DC in a small club when they were an unannounced headlining act - instead of Shudder to Think being the main event. They were decent, but I left halfway through and caught the Metro home :hehe:

Shudder were immense :rockon:

Tyler Durden

#35 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon May 20, 2024 11:34 am

Foo Fighters is generic, meat and potatoes rock and roll; never got into them.

That being said, “Everlong” is a masterpiece.

JOEinPHX

#36 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon May 20, 2024 11:56 am

Foo Fighters are basically AC/DC for the 90s.

It's summer BBQ music. No one is going to tell you to turn it off, but no one is going to tell you to turn it up either. :lol:

Tyler Durden

#37 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon May 20, 2024 12:17 pm

JOEinPHX wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 11:56 am
Foo Fighters are basically AC/DC for the 90s.

It's summer BBQ music. No one is going to tell you to turn it off, but no one is going to tell you to turn it up either. :lol:
A somewhat reasonable analogy. However, Bon Scott era AC/DC was dangerous on a Stooges level and like the Ramones, while mostly always sounding the same, helped create an entire musical genre (in AC/DC’s case, blues based metal). Foo Fighters might be to riff rock what Green Day is to punk.

someguy

#38 Post by someguy » Mon May 20, 2024 2:23 pm

Foo/STP hits are definitely rawk but they also go way beyond that and have both delved into genres like Bossa Nova and such

I tried to high five Scott one time- he had a thousand yard stare. I also had a fan boy moment with Dave G and he laughed at me lol

JOEinPHX

#39 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon May 20, 2024 2:35 pm

someguy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:23 pm

I tried to high five Scott one time- he had a thousand yard stare. I also had a fan boy moment with Dave G and he laughed at me lol
I was in the hallway of an arena in Toledo in 2000 or 2001, there to see STP and trying to ignore the shitty nu metal stylings of Disturbed onstage at the time, and security politely asked me to move about 10 feet down the hall. I, a defiant 20 year old, snarkily demanded to know why.

Just as this occurred, Scott came out of a hallway dressing room right next to me and headed down the hall with security.

It was my first run-in with a musician in my life and all that came out of my mouth was "Scott! Dude!", and when he turned around and smiled at me I gave him a thumb's up.

Then I stood there for a minute, staring at my thumb thinking "why did I just give him a thumb's up?" while my girlfriend audibly said "Why did you give him a thumb's up?" and we laughed ourselves stupid over how awkward it was :lol:

Noonesshocking

#40 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon May 20, 2024 3:26 pm

JOEinPHX wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:35 pm
someguy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:23 pm

I was in the hallway of an arena in Toledo in 2000 or 2001, there to see STP and trying to ignore the shitty nu metal stylings of Disturbed onstage at the time, and security politely asked me to move about 10 feet down the hall. I, a defiant 20 year old, snarkily demanded to know why.

Just as this occurred, Scott came out of a hallway dressing room right next to me and headed down the hall with security.

It was my first run-in with a musician in my life and all that came out of my mouth was "Scott! Dude!", and when he turned around and smiled at me I gave him a thumb's up.

Then I stood there for a minute, staring at my thumb thinking "why did I just give him a thumb's up?" while my girlfriend audibly said "Why did you give him a thumb's up?" and we laughed ourselves stupid over how awkward it was :lol:
I pretty much did the exact same thing to Martyn outside the Metro 2 years ago. Except in that instance, we were just waiting in line to get in and was signing something for people a few feet ahead of me.

blackcoffee

#41 Post by blackcoffee » Mon May 20, 2024 4:11 pm

kv wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 5:15 pm
somewhere I still have my janes tour shirt from 87 when the toured with Love and Rockets...ash has been very sweet to janes through the years
Two years before I was seeing them live, but was going to say I remember seeing a poster at Tipitina's in New Orleans that showed Jane's as support for Love and Rockets....

creep
Site Admin

#42 Post by creep » Mon May 20, 2024 6:07 pm

blackcoffee wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 4:11 pm
kv wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 5:15 pm
somewhere I still have my janes tour shirt from 87 when the toured with Love and Rockets...ash has been very sweet to janes through the years
Two years before I was seeing them live, but was going to say I remember seeing a poster at Tipitina's in New Orleans that showed Jane's as support for Love and Rockets....

SR

#43 Post by SR » Mon May 20, 2024 6:11 pm

Ok, that's a holy shit moment and find

drwintercreeper

#44 Post by drwintercreeper » Mon May 20, 2024 6:59 pm

All the STP haters need to listen to Purple and Tiny Music and just ignore Scott. The musicality of dean and robert’s guitar and bass is gorgeous and kretz is a solid drummer. Scott was the weak link in all their iterations, and one could argue that they suck for x y z reasons… but those songs on those records are beautiful compositions.

trevor ayer

#45 Post by trevor ayer » Mon May 20, 2024 7:41 pm

STP kicks pearl jams ass ...

Hokahey
Site Admin

#46 Post by Hokahey » Tue May 21, 2024 4:35 am

trevor ayer wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:41 pm
If you compare Purple and Tiny Music to modern day PJ, maybe. But nothing they’ve ever done even sniffs the ass of those first 4-5 PJ albums.

Tyler Durden

#47 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue May 21, 2024 5:33 am

Hokahey wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:35 am
trevor ayer wrote:
If you compare Purple and Tiny Music to modern day PJ, maybe. But nothing they’ve ever done even sniffs the ass of those first 4-5 PJ albums.

Came here to say the exact same thing. While it’s not for me, I get why people dig the first three STP albums…but yeah, they don’t hold a candle to Pearl Jam of the 90s. It’s not even close.

JOEinPHX

#48 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue May 21, 2024 7:58 am

Hokahey wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:35 am
trevor ayer wrote:
I'd put STP's first 3 albums right up there with PJ's first 3 in terms of quality.

The problem is that PJ then went on another 3 album run, and albums 4 and 5 are generally seen by hardcore PJ fans as their best.

You gotta get to like PJ albums 7-9 before you see the songwriting quality drop off to the level of STP's 4th.

And that's why one plays theaters with 2-3 other bands and the other can run a stadium by themselves.

Tyler Durden

#49 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue May 21, 2024 9:28 am

For me, STP having Chester whatever his name was, followed by an X-Factor guy as lead singer speaks to their general level of mediocrity.
Sure, they weren’t bottom of the barrel butt rock like Nickelback or Godsmack, but they also were nowhere near the level of Seattle’s “big four” in their prime.

JOEinPHX

#50 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue May 21, 2024 3:46 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:28 am
For me, STP having Chester whatever his name was, followed by an X-Factor guy as lead singer speaks to their general level of mediocrity.
Sure, they weren’t bottom of the barrel butt rock like Nickelback or Godsmack, but they also were nowhere near the level of Seattle’s “big four” in their prime.
I hated Linkin Park, but I saw STP with Chester at some festival and the kid was fantastic.

Then I watched him kill it with Royal Machines too, and gained alot of respect for him then too. He had a lot of talent that just got wasted working with mediocre musicians for most of his career.