Dave's Return?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Dave's Return?

#351 Post by Hokahey » Fri May 10, 2024 3:59 pm

They have done nothing but advertise this as the original four members. Dan has teased on Instagram that Dave is clearly with the band. I don’t really think there’s any mystery here. The only thing stopping them from discussing this officially is probably the fact that it’s a sensitive situation with Dave And they want to tread carefully.

Tyler Durden

#352 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon May 13, 2024 10:31 am

They’re probably going the low key route given that Dave bailed on the Pumpkins tour at the relative last minute. There was a public confirmation of his absence a mere few days before the tour started. They’re likely playing it as safe as possible.

SR

#353 Post by SR » Mon May 13, 2024 1:39 pm

I just get a sub apathetic vibe from DN. His focus for decades now seems to be really on anything but music. I wish him well...the guys seen far more than any human should, but I don't see him as a meaningful contributor to JA now with Avery back. If he doesn't have really long covid, he's just been unprofessional and unfair to the band and the fans. Loved both of his replacements in the last years too.

CaseyContrarian

#354 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon May 13, 2024 2:38 pm

Neither “replacement” is capable of providing the color that Navarro can manifest effortlessly. On the nod, checked out, what the fuck ever, he IS the guitarist for Jane’s Addiction and smokes anyone else who has filled that in terms of his natural musicality in this idiom.

Get the fuck out of town with that “replacement” shit.

Will it still suck? Probably. But not because of Dave. These guys wasted their best years and this is what we’re left with. Fingers crossed for a meaningful farewell.

Noonesshocking

#355 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon May 13, 2024 3:09 pm

I don't think he's apathetic. I think he probably appreciates the fact that many people are speculating and want him back. At least if I was in his shoes I'd enjoy it lol

SR

#356 Post by SR » Mon May 13, 2024 5:01 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:38 pm
Neither “replacement” is capable of providing the color that Navarro can manifest effortlessly. On the nod, checked out, what the fuck ever, he IS the guitarist for Jane’s Addiction and smokes anyone else who has filled that in terms of his natural musicality in this idiom.

Get the fuck out of town with that “replacement” shit.

Will it still suck? Probably. But not because of Dave. These guys wasted their best years and this is what we’re left with. Fingers crossed for a meaningful farewell.
He's the guitarist of record for their masterpieces. His contribution was essential there. He's been the guitarist for the last decades on what's essentially a cover band of themselves. His focus has been elsewhere for a really long time and then he fucked everyone with this long covid bullshit. Nothing close to transparency or willingness to deal with the consequences with anything resembling grace or humility. He's been treated with the Charmin touch by everyone, but in this last emergence of 1.0, he's been a real liability. And all the gatekeeping aside, the replacements were fanfuckintabulous...bring fresh approaches to great material with creativity and heroic amounts of respect.

Moschops

#357 Post by Moschops » Mon May 13, 2024 5:47 pm

SR wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 5:01 pm
He's the guitarist of record for their masterpieces. His contribution was essential there. He's been the guitarist for the last decades on what's essentially a cover band of themselves. His focus has been elsewhere for a really long time and then he fucked everyone with this long covid bullshit. Nothing close to transparency or willingness to deal with the consequences with anything resembling grace or humility. He's been treated with the Charmin touch by everyone, but in this last emergence of 1.0, he's been a real liability. And all the gatekeeping aside, the replacements were fanfuckintabulous...bring fresh approaches to great material with creativity and heroic amounts of respect.
I think you’re being far too harsh.

None of us really actually know what’s happening, but there are an awful lot of lines to read between. You seem to think that Dave has chosen to mess people around. I think it’s far more likely that he got himself into a bad place and his bandmates and the people around him have been cutting him some slack while he works to get better.

Have you never been in a shitty situation and needed a bit of support and sympathy from the people around you?

SR

#358 Post by SR » Tue May 14, 2024 5:25 am

You're right if I've made the wrong conclusions.

JOEinPHX

#359 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue May 14, 2024 8:00 am

Didn't we all pretty much come to a consensus a long time ago that "Long Covid" was just code for "Dave was putting things in his arm again"?

I doubt he was even the one keeping himself off the road, and more likely that his brothers in the band were like "Dude, stay home and get better"

You think it's coincidence that Perry recently admitted that he only kicked hard drugs "in the last few years"? I think that was almost his was of saying that he understands what Dave is going through.

With that said... no one who saw the Troy/Josh shows could say they were anything less than incredible. They both brought a fresh perspective to the songs while still maintaining their original spirit. It was the best the band had been in decades.

Moschops

#360 Post by Moschops » Tue May 14, 2024 8:09 am

JOEinPHX wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 8:00 am
Didn't we all pretty much come to a consensus a long time ago that "Long Covid" was just code for "Dave was putting things in his arm again"?

I doubt he was even the one keeping himself off the road, and more likely that his brothers in the band were like "Dude, stay home and get better"
I was trying to be tactful, but yes, that’s pretty much exactly what it looked like to me.

eye

#361 Post by eye » Tue May 14, 2024 9:28 am

I'm going to be at the first "intimate" show at Bush hall next week .. and it's certainly going to be interesting to see who walks out on stage with a guitar in their hands that night. :cool: :noclue:

400 capacity .. I can't wait.. and just up the road from me too.

Mescal

#362 Post by Mescal » Tue May 14, 2024 9:49 am

Another kind of question.

I will see them in Brussels and Köln on the upcoming tour. Being a fanboy and all that, I would love to get my original Ritual lp signed by the band. Anyone has any idea how I can make this happen? Anybody has any contacts perhaps?

SR

#363 Post by SR » Tue May 14, 2024 10:27 am

I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone but DN plays the upcoming shows....far less if they just up and cancelled. I am really curious to hear about any new music that was being worked on his absence and how he either re-arranged, re-wrote, or mimicked what had already been done. This is what holds the most interest for me. PFP's new songs did not disappoint at all, and with EA back and some time spent with his old friend (and great songwriter) JK, PF's seemingly compliant and welcoming new tude, there might be something really interesting. :rockon:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#364 Post by Hokahey » Wed May 15, 2024 4:43 am

eye wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 9:28 am
I'm going to be at the first "intimate" show at Bush hall next week .. and it's certainly going to be interesting to see who walks out on stage with a guitar in their hands that night. :cool: :noclue:

400 capacity .. I can't wait.. and just up the road from me too.
That’s going to be fucking bonkers. I bet it’s a great show.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#365 Post by Hokahey » Wed May 15, 2024 4:46 am

Mescal wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 9:49 am
Another kind of question.

I will see them in Brussels and Köln on the upcoming tour. Being a fanboy and all that, I would love to get my original Ritual lp signed by the band. Anyone has any idea how I can make this happen? Anybody has any contacts perhaps?
Your best bet is to catch them arriving or leaving after the show. If it’s a small venue, good chance they’ll be pretty easy to spot. Perk is the most likely to stop and chat. Not sure about EA as I’ve never interacted with him. Perry and Etty are usually in their own little bubble and not prone to stop and bullshit. Dave’s a wild card

esqfool

#366 Post by esqfool » Thu May 16, 2024 2:13 pm

Best chance to meet Eric would probably be a museum or some interesting architecture. That seems to be his thing when he's not playing.

parklife03

#367 Post by parklife03 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:05 pm

Mescal

#368 Post by Mescal » Thu May 16, 2024 11:33 pm

esqfool wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:13 pm
Best chance to meet Eric would probably be a museum or some interesting architecture. That seems to be his thing when he's not playing.
Maybe I can show him around Brussels ...

Eric, if you're reading this, please reach out :bigrin:

Artemis

#369 Post by Artemis » Sun May 19, 2024 3:18 pm

Earlier on Instagram, I saw Dave's fiancee's story ( the one that disappears after viewing once) that showed them holding hands in a car and then having a meal at LAX. Dave must be enroute to London! :rockon:

Japhy

#370 Post by Japhy » Mon May 20, 2024 5:53 am

I’m so looking forward to Thursday. I missed out on the small (and free!) nightclub show in 2009 as my kids were in a school play! Waited 15 years to see a show this small. Only ever saw one club show with original line-up, back when I was 16. If this happens, consider me done.

Done, other than the other two shows I’m catching next week haha

CaseyContrarian

#371 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon May 20, 2024 7:53 am

Hope you or someone gets some video. It’s my goddamn 50th birthday on Thursday!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#372 Post by Hokahey » Mon May 20, 2024 8:16 am

Japhy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:53 am
I’m so looking forward to Thursday. I missed out on the small (and free!) nightclub show in 2009 as my kids were in a school play! Waited 15 years to see a show this small. Only ever saw one club show with original line-up, back when I was 16. If this happens, consider me done.

Done, other than the other two shows I’m catching next week haha
I was lucky enough to see them in a small club in late 2003, right before they broke up again. The tension was palpable, and for the Chaney era, it was incredible.

Japhy

#373 Post by Japhy » Mon May 20, 2024 8:32 am

Hokahey wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 8:16 am
I was lucky enough to see them in a small club in late 2003, right before they broke up again. The tension was palpable, and for the Chaney era, it was incredible.
Yea, I saw what I assume was Chaney’s first show, the London one in Aug ‘02. I swear even now that it was incredible. They never really got back to that although I enjoyed the ‘03 tour too. I liked the 2 NINJA shows I caught but they were def tainted by the break-up for me. I really hope these upcoming shows feel genuine to me, as I’ve been cynical for too long!

Artemis

#374 Post by Artemis » Tue May 21, 2024 9:39 am

Mescal wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 11:33 pm
esqfool wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:13 pm
Maybe I can show him around Brussels ...

Eric, if you're reading this, please reach out :bigrin:

ha...i just saw Eric post on Insta...he is at the Tate Modern with Dave+Vanessa checking out the Yoko Ono exhibit.

someguy

#375 Post by someguy » Tue May 21, 2024 10:04 am

Damn… on Thursday we’re finally getting the first OG show since 2010 and since Eric came back nearly two years ago… hope they announce the love and rockets tour soon