Jane’s Nominated Again For RRHOF

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
someguy

Re: Jane’s Nominated Again For RRHOF

#26 Post by someguy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:45 am

Rock hall inductees will be unveiled on American Idol Sunday Night…. I’m guessing the words “Jane’s” and “Addiction” will not be heard during the reveal. It’ll be the safe Disney friendly ones like Cher and Mariah Carey- beyond lame

bman

#27 Post by bman » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 pm

Janes did not make it. The list who did is kind of atrocious. Fuck you Rock n Roll Hall. :bs:

someguy

#28 Post by someguy » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:29 pm

Garbage aside from tribe

Also MC5 wasn’t on the initial list and now they’re getting inducted/getting some sort of award

Hokahey
Site Admin

#29 Post by Hokahey » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:05 pm

What a fucking joke. There is no 90s alternative movement without Janes Addiction and Perry Farrell. Period. You can make an argument that the Pixies and Sonic Youth were equally integral, but of course they’re not in either. Those three bands were the inspiration for every important band that came after in one way or another. That era was not just a sea change in music, but culturally and politically as well, none of which happens without the music, which doesn’t happen without Janes. You can’t overstate their importance in everything that happens culturally post NS.

I can’t help but wonder if they’d be in already if it wasn’t for the Chaney era. Not to blame him. But that’s the easy line of divide.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#30 Post by Hokahey » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:08 pm

I’m so mad I’m double posting. :lol:

Someone needs to make an alternative to this fucking sham institution. Get some real artists involved to curate it and make a joke out of the current rock hall.

drwintercreeper

#31 Post by drwintercreeper » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:44 pm

Not surprising. I got to visit the hall a few years ago and walking through it was cool until the end, where it was pop pop pop. I get it it, it’s popular music. But I was struck at how ill-fitting it felt compared to seeing memorabilia from Petty, Janis, MJ, Nirvana, NIN, seattle, etc… the real forbearers of. I personally couldn’t connect… but it seems to be where they are at - a popular music hall of fame.

Lame.

JOEinPHX

#32 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:54 am

Hokahey wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:08 pm
I’m so mad I’m double posting. :lol:

Someone needs to make an alternative to this fucking sham institution. Get some real artists involved to curate it and make a joke out of the current rock hall.
Someone did. It was in Seattle, and called the Experience Music Project

And it was fantastic. I went a few times back in the early 2000s.

And I don't know what the fuck happened, but they expanded it into pop culture in general and now it's called MoPOP.

Still worth seeing, but I liked it more when it was just a private collection of music memorabilia.

SR

#33 Post by SR » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:31 pm

Everyone including the band (except PF) wants them to get in, then when they don't it a scam/farce/joke. :confused:

JOEinPHX

#34 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:05 pm

SR wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:31 pm
Everyone including the band (except PF) wants them to get in, then when they don't it a scam/farce/joke. :confused:
Perry is the one that is going to need to schmooze a little more if he wants them in there.

Even showing up 2-3 years in a row just to induct another band will go sooooo far.

SR

#35 Post by SR » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:09 pm

JOEinPHX wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:05 pm
SR wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:31 pm
Perry is the one that is going to need to schmooze a little more if he wants them in there.

Even showing up 2-3 years in a row just to induct another band will go sooooo far.
I guess, but don't know. Don't inductees ask someone to induct them? I assume there are a ton of politics involved, but I don't pay a lot of attention to the gatekeeping attitudes involved. I look at it similarly to how I look at "Greatest of all time" lists...they are fun to read, disagree with, agree with, and love the discussions and research they provoke.

bman

#36 Post by bman » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:11 pm

Tom Morello was pushing hard for Janes over the last few years. It seems like this would have been the optimal time with them getting back together etc. Sucks. Oh well. But it would have been nice as this band has occupied the last 35 years of my life lol. It stung a bit I must say.

phenobarb_bambalam

#37 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:50 pm

SR wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:09 pm
Don't inductees ask someone to induct them? I assume there are a ton of politics involved, but I don't pay a lot of attention to the gatekeeping attitudes involved. I look at it similarly to how I look at "Greatest of all time" lists...they are fun to read, disagree with, agree with, and love the discussions and research they provoke.
[/quote]

Agreed. It's hard to take the 'institution' seriously, but I do think the occasion can make for some amazing moments, if the artists can give enough of a fuck to make it special. Prince's performance with Petty & co.was a moment of magic that couldn't really have happened in any other context. Having Reznor induct The Cure as a humble (almost) fan was pretty damn cool, as was him getting just about every key NIN member over time on stage at once following his own induction...moments of magic that have nowt to do with the Hall itself, but are inspired by the occasion.

someguy

#38 Post by someguy » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:58 pm

Taylor Hawkins lobbied hard for them and name dropped both Jane’s and soundgarden in his speech a few years back.

If they’re both inducted together it’s well worth the wait but I guess Mariah Carey goes has to go in first

SR

#39 Post by SR » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:00 am

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:50 pm
SR wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:09 pm
Don't inductees ask someone to induct them? I assume there are a ton of politics involved, but I don't pay a lot of attention to the gatekeeping attitudes involved. I look at it similarly to how I look at "Greatest of all time" lists...they are fun to read, disagree with, agree with, and love the discussions and research they provoke.
Agreed. It's hard to take the 'institution' seriously, but I do think the occasion can make for some amazing moments, if the artists can give enough of a fuck to make it special. Prince's performance with Petty & co.was a moment of magic that couldn't really have happened in any other context. Having Reznor induct The Cure as a humble (almost) fan was pretty damn cool, as was him getting just about every key NIN member over time on stage at once following his own induction...moments of magic that have nowt to do with the Hall itself, but are inspired by the occasion.
[/quote]
Yeah, that Prince performance was amazing. Dhani later called it "gratuitous" though he seemed to be thrilled onstage during it. Steve Ferrone has a great story about it. On NIN, I wish Jerome Dillon was there, though TR did mention him, which was cool I guess. My favorite acceptance speech showing the opposing feelings that artists have was Alex Lifeson....Blah, blah, blah....go to 4:20

tubro

#40 Post by tubro » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:01 pm

Halls of fame for art are fucking stupid and this one is particularly ridiculous. First it was whatever Jann wenner and his rolling stone pals. Then it wasn’t rock and roll but instead pop music and music that sells well. And obscure black artists entirely deserving of praise but again, halls of fame for art are stupid. Then Jann wenner went and said some stupid shit about how women suck at music so he’s thrown out. They talk about influence and leave out bands like Jane’s but celebrate bands like the Cars, who are fine I guess but influenced nobody in any meaningful way.
So fuck it. Who cares? Go visit the baseball hall of fame in cooperstown. That’s relevant and has relatively objective standards and a well developed voting system.

Also, no Devo is the biggest joke about this place. Jesus.

tubro

#41 Post by tubro » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:10 pm

Also, Steve Miller went off on how much the HOF sucks.

tubro wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:01 pm
Halls of fame for art are fucking stupid and this one is particularly ridiculous. First it was whatever Jann wenner and his rolling stone pals. Then it wasn’t rock and roll but instead pop music and music that sells well. And obscure black artists entirely deserving of praise but again, halls of fame for art are stupid. Then Jann wenner went and said some stupid shit about how women suck at music so he’s thrown out. They talk about influence and leave out bands like Jane’s but celebrate bands like the Cars, who are fine I guess but influenced nobody in any meaningful way.
So fuck it. Who cares? Go visit the baseball hall of fame in cooperstown. That’s relevant and has relatively objective standards and a well developed voting system.

Also, no Devo is the biggest joke about this place. Jesus.