Full Jubilee Show on Youtube

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

Full Jubilee Show on Youtube

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:09 pm

There has been very little footage of this tour on youtube until recently. There are some cool things about this show: kettle whistle, alternate intro to oceansize, obvious into mountain song.

The different intro to ANR and the solo songs are kinda odd, and there is a piano going on during dave's solo in mountain song for some reason. This is also when perry transitioned to awesomely weird to liberace it seems like. He actually looks pretty much like the way he does today here - with the vest and all.

Martyn is great and should have never been let go.

Overall, some good, some strange, some bad. Seems like this was where it all kinda started to go sideways.

tubro

Re: Full Jubilee Show on Youtube

#2 Post by tubro » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:08 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Overall, some good, some strange, some bad. Seems like this was where it all kinda started to go sideways.
fair, although to me this tour is a pretty good memory. relapse, this, and NINJA all have more good than bad but all are flawed in one way or the other. i think this one is my fave. i saw 3 shows including this one in philly. the sideways part, somewhat notably then and very much in retrospect, is that with the exception of TGEA tour, beloved as it is by several dozen people at most (including bman) from here on out to the present it's been an arena style greatest hits show founded solely on the same bunch of songs from the mid to late 80s. but still, this is probably the last time they reached for greatness, or at least some novelty, as a live act, and had some apparent interest in being good.

it was an odd time for sure, just after 9-11. i'm a downtown NYer and was still pretty fucked up at the time, and the two NY shows couldn't have been more different vibes. MSG was sold out or nearly so and they fucking brought it. perry made mention of what NY was in the midst of. raw and real. then Brendan byrne was so empty that it's still amazing that they didn't cancel. philly had a nice crowd and was raucous.

kettle whistle remains a very high moment in JA live lore, in my view. and the first half hour delivered the heavy in a big way - kettle, ocean, ANR, 3 days, stop. seriously loud, lose yourself, shit. the solo part was weird but hey, what the fuck? at least it was different. and perry wore one of ivy supersonic's odd hats. I've known her a long time. strange one, that woman. ted and chip away were pretty strong too. production was out there but felt like JA. I never really found perry to be a fruity liberace clone until NINJA and here, despite some goofy outfits, I still got a doper party president vibe.

anyway, I've enjoyed this past half hour of viewing (yeah I fast forwarded a few times). it won't ever be this good again.

Mescal

#3 Post by Mescal » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:06 pm

But, But, .....Dave's on the left side of the stage? :hs:

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:00 am

Mescal wrote:But, But, .....Dave's on the left side of the stage? :hs:
OH MAH GAWD

nausearockpig

#5 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:38 am

Larry B. wrote:
OH MAH GAWD
you can definitely hear the difference...

Bandit72

#6 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:15 am

I think Dave is also using a different grade of nylon in his plectrums than on previous tours.

Mescal

#7 Post by Mescal » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:27 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
OH MAH GAWD
you can definitely hear the difference...
I like him better when he's on the right.

Maybe we could do a poll? :noclue:

Matz

#8 Post by Matz » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:25 pm

how can you say that, Relapse was left!? jesus christ!

Mescal

#9 Post by Mescal » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:34 pm

I meant from the spectator point of view

(glad I got away with that one)

nausearockpig

#10 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:58 pm

you can definitely hear how the whole band sounds so much more in sync when Dave is stage right. it's like the vibe is immersing itself in the aura of the feeling of the band nestled deep within the core of the struggle against the tug from ............... i ran out of steam.... and interest.....

Matz

#11 Post by Matz » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:54 pm

depends on what you definition of "left" is...

panicparty

#12 Post by panicparty » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:08 am

I'm clearly missing a joke somewhere with this side-of-the-stage thing..

Anyone care to let me in?

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:54 am

tubro wrote: (snip)
kettle whistle remains a very high moment in JA live lore, in my view. and the first half hour delivered the heavy in a big way - kettle, ocean, ANR, 3 days, stop. seriously loud, lose yourself, shit. the solo part was weird but hey, what the fuck? at least it was different. and perry wore one of ivy supersonic's odd hats. I've known her a long time. strange one, that woman. ted and chip away were pretty strong too. production was out there but felt like JA. I never really found perry to be a fruity liberace clone until NINJA and here, despite some goofy outfits, I still got a doper party president vibe.

anyway, I've enjoyed this past half hour of viewing (yeah I fast forwarded a few times). it won't ever be this good again.
I agree with your views on the tour. My show was the infamous Universal Amphitheater show just before Halloween, '01 which Courtney Love opened and due to her antics, overshadowed and put a major damper on the rest of the night for many. Jane's started much later then they were supposed to and while we got Pete rejoining the band to play "Pets" on the B Stage, we lost at least Up The Beach and Chip Away for the last 3rd of the set to meet the out door curfew making for a rather anticlimactic ending of the show. It's funny, I am probably the only one here who thought Martyn sounded really out of place in the band, his playing and bass tone seemed thin and clunky to me that show. Still, the first run of songs up to the B Stage segment was awesome, Dave was playing the Eddie Van Halen Frankenstrat copy made for him by a well-known VH fan for the opening song. It's also clear *someone* is helping the band offstage with keyboard and even some guitar effects (listen to Chip Away). And yes, there was a very weird post-9/11 vibe to the night (although not as somber as The Cult show I saw a few weeks prior).

tvrec

#14 Post by tvrec » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:32 am

Pandemonium wrote:(snip) My show was the infamous Universal Amphitheater show just before Halloween, '01
Is my memory already shot? I thought this was the infamous Hollywood Bowl show, no?

nausearockpig

#15 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:13 pm

panicparty wrote:I'm clearly missing a joke somewhere with this side-of-the-stage thing..

Anyone care to let me in?
some musos feel very strongly about their stage position with regard to the rest of the band - some saying that playing on the other or wrong side makes them play differently or badly. some don't give a shit. Some play in the same positions out of habit or laziness or not caring at all about it. From memory the 1.0 and the NINJA positions were the same. I *think* I read an article with Dave or Eric (or maybe it was on Dark Matter) where they said that this layout was where they started and just kinda stayed like this for no reason at all.

trevor ayer

#16 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:45 pm

Drummer usually looks at his high hat ... That means most eye contact with stage right (his left)

Dave likely did play better stage right as he became the core of the new music

1.0 was all about the bass tho so more important for bass and drums to lock in ... Leaving dave to noodle stage left

Funny but true that moving dave shifted the core sound to guit and drums instead of bass and drums

They just cant hack it as a guitar rawk band .. Dave needs to stay stage left and make room for a non session player to take charge of that position ... Otherwise all new music will revolve around daves guitar which cripples him from really doing what he is best at ... Which is playing off a great bass player

nausearockpig

#17 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:49 pm

New music? :lolol: as if.

kv

#18 Post by kv » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:58 pm

tvrec wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:(snip) My show was the infamous Universal Amphitheater show just before Halloween, '01
Is my memory already shot? I thought this was the infamous Hollywood Bowl show, no?
It was Hollywood bowl

Pandemonium

#19 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:05 am

kv wrote:
tvrec wrote:
It was Hollywood bowl
You guys are right. I think I'm losing it. I have (or maybe had) an almost photographic memory for dates and shows down to little details and I've noticed in the past few weeks I've been getting dates, venues and details confused among other things on other music and movie boards like mixing up the Hollywood Bowl for the Universal Amphitheater.