Jane's Addiction Breaks Old Habits / The Wall Street Journal

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
cursed male

Jane's Addiction Breaks Old Habits / The Wall Street Journal

#1 Post by cursed male » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:23 am

Breaking Old Habits
12 October 2011

In June, long after it was believed Jane's Addiction's new album "The Great Escape Artist" (Capitol) was done, producer Rich Costey still had the band's equipment set up and ready at a studio in Burbank, Calif.—as if the members might still drop by to tinker. When a visitor asked to hear one of the new tunes, Mr. Costey replied: "I can play you something now that tomorrow could be completely different."

What's considered alternative-rock music has changed in the eight years since Jane's Addiction last released an album of new material. Hot categories have shifted, barriers have fallen, and the electronic dance music once seen as a sideline for Jane's lead singer Perry Farrell is now a major force. An alt-rock band that remains static might do so to appease fans—see the Red Hot Chili Peppers' recent album, "I'm With You." With "The Great Escape Artist," Jane's sought to blend its traditional power sound with where it thinks alt-rock can go. To do so, it brought in TV on the Radio's Dave Sitek to shape soundscapes, play bass, and help with arrangements and "general weirdness," as Mr. Costey put it.

Thus, "The Great Escape Artist," which comes out next week, presents an up-to-date Jane's Addiction. The band tempers its swagger, and at points Mr. Farrell's voice recedes behind a wash of synths and sustained guitars. The deep, textured tracks rarely fail to engage. There's an appealing, cohesive sound to the disc.

Dave Navarro issues several searing guitar solos, but some of his best work is in his flat-picking, giving the sound its high, glittery tones. In the opening track, "Underground," he excels with terse fills long before he solos at the song's fade. As always, Stephen Perkins proves to be one of rock's great drummers, and his interplay with Mr. Navarro, his high-school marching-band buddy, is one of the disc's savory treats. Provided by Mr. Sitek and old standby Chris Chaney, the bass is merely serviceable; it's long been a Jane's shortcoming that it can't find someone to fill the bottom who is as inventive as Messrs. Navarro and Perkins. (Ex-Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan was in Jane's for a while, but on "The Great Escape Artist" his contribution is limited to co-writing three tracks.) Mr. Farrell shines, singing most often at the center of his range, rather than the shaky upper end.

Mr. Costey said the band members jammed for hours before shaping songs. "At times, it sounded like Jane's. At other times, it sounded like nothing I'd heard before from them. There's tons of sections without chordal movement." Recognizing that the new sound may pose a challenge for longtime Jane's listerners, Mr. Costey said: "The album is quite varied—fans may not like it."

At Lollapalooza in Chicago, the affable Mr. Farrell agreed that Jane's was seeking a new direction. "We started in '84. We did a great job," he said. But, he continued, it was time to put away the old formula. "It's difficult to give up that notion. Of all the guys in the group, I had no problem giving up my style."

Mr. Farrell said his role as Lollapalooza's curator puts him in close contact with the changing music scene. "I listen every year to the latest and greatest bands on the planet. That helped me to want to follow the sound."

Mr. Perkins described the group's new approach as "layered, not blunt." (In some cases, "less blunt" would have been more accurate.) The sessions for "The Great Escape Artist," he added, stalled when Mr. McKagan came on board. "It was really interesting to write songs with him, but it was hard to break ground. As a whole, it didn't feel like a leap forward. Sitek opened my eyes to new music and new textures."

When Jane's played a prerelease concert at New York's Terminal 5 in late July, the core quartet, with Mr. Chaney on bass, didn't use prerecorded music to fill the midrange and replicate the new album's sound. Instead, the band ripped into it with Mr. Perkins keeping things moving and Mr. Navarro muscling up to discharge blizzards of notes. Mr. Farrell wailed as he careened about the stage. The album's first single, "Irresistible Force," exploded the set into overdrive.

Mr. Farrell said the group was enjoying its new direction. "It's easy for us to sound like Jane's. But now we don't want you to recognize where you are. You're in the dark. Then you open a door."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 56224.html

Matov

Re: Jane's Addiction Breaks Old Habits / The Wall Street Jou

#2 Post by Matov » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:39 am

cursed male wrote: When Jane's played a prerelease concert at New York's Terminal 5 in late July, the core quartet, with Mr. Chaney on bass, didn't use prerecorded music to fill the midrange and replicate the new album's sound.
:hs:

i don't get the point of even mentioning that, on the one hand its not like they've (actually they'D) ever done that before, and on the other hand, its just a blatant lie :noclue:

Warped

#3 Post by Warped » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:41 am

Mr. Farrell, Mr. Navarro, Mr. Chaney, Mr. Perkins - sounds so strange but i kinda like it.

Matov

#4 Post by Matov » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:44 am

oh yeah i forgot to mention that, since i mostly lurk and when i feel my thoughts are more or less represented by what people are saying i just skip it.
But i feel this is one fine album. A step in the right direction, to say the least. i'm on my fourth listen and i'm liking it more with each spin :banana:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:09 am

Of all the guys in the group, I had no problem giving up my style."
If that doesn't just say it all...

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:13 am

hokahey wrote:
Of all the guys in the group, I had no problem giving up my style."
If that doesn't just say it all...
i was going to comment on that part, but i thought it might sound unfairly negative.

It's not that he had no problem giving it up, he just can't sing that high anymore.

If anything, Dave is the one really stretching his style here.

Eric B.

#7 Post by Eric B. » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Nice history lesson, but what does he think of the album??

tubro

#8 Post by tubro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:41 pm

Eric B. wrote:Nice history lesson, but what does he think of the album??
The Great Escape Artist," which comes out next week, presents an up-to-date Jane's Addiction. The band tempers its swagger, and at points Mr. Farrell's voice recedes behind a wash of synths and sustained guitars. The deep, textured tracks rarely fail to engage. There's an appealing, cohesive sound to the disc.

Dave Navarro issues several searing guitar solos, but some of his best work is in his flat-picking, giving the sound its high, glittery tones. In the opening track, "Underground," he excels with terse fills long before he solos at the song's fade. As always, Stephen Perkins proves to be one of rock's great drummers, and his interplay with Mr. Navarro, his high-school marching-band buddy, is one of the disc's savory treats.
I love the "Mr. Navarro" bit. Its always been funny to read reviews in the Times and Journal, and their references to "Mr. Loaf" and "Mr. Rotten".

By the way, as for Perry being able to give up his style, i think he meant dreadlocked, hard charging, dope addled shaman/wild man of the 80s more than guy who can sing high. And sure that's a reason he's been dissed (and worse) by fans, but its also an honest assessment - he's in his 50s with kids and he's into different music. Like it or hate it, it was an honest assessment. And judging from the comments here, he's finally participated in/produced a work which can be liked/admired by his fans even though its an example of the older Perry. Good for him. Good for all of them. Good for all of us at xiola/anr. Good time to be a Jane's Addiction fan.

NYRexall

#9 Post by NYRexall » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:00 am

cursed male wrote: Breaking Old Habits
Provided by Mr. Sitek and old standby Chris Chaney, the bass is merely serviceable; it's long been a Jane's shortcoming that it can't find someone to fill the bottom who is as inventive as Messrs. Navarro and Perkins. (Ex-Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan was in Jane's for a while, but on "The Great Escape Artist" his contribution is limited to co-writing three tracks.)
Forgive me for sounding pessimistic, but this is a shining example of why I'm just not that interested in hearing the new record. Never, in the context of Jane's Addiction or an album of theirs, should the bass be "merely servicable". If most of you are praising to the high heavens Dave's playing on this album, and I've yet to see anyone criticize Stephen's drumming, then what's keeping me from even bothering to listen to this record is Perry. It seems like he's using all this talk of a stylistic departure as a defense mechanism because he simply doesn't have or doesn't know what it takes to be the Perry who should be fronting Jane's, and it's preventing the album from being a great collection of music froma still-relevant band.

Does this album sound AT ALL like the Jane's Addiction of 1986-1991?

But the remark about not being able to find an inventive bass player on the same level of Perkins and Navarro is just outright retarded. They had a more-than-capable bass player twice in their history (in some circles, the only bass player they've ever had) and both times he departed because the lead singer wanted to tamper with a formula that was what made them special in the first place.

I get the feeling like the fans are required to listen to this album "with an open mind" simply because it's the only thing that might forgive the album's obvious flaws and shortcomings.

Fuck that.

Eric B.

#10 Post by Eric B. » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:49 am

Jeezus, don't get overexcited. I say: Just listen to this album and form your own opinion. It sn't that hard and it's just music. What's the point of building in so much assumptions/guarantees before this record can meet your standards. Just listen to it and tell us then what you think.....

Japhy

#11 Post by Japhy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:51 am

NYRexall wrote:Forgive me for sounding pessimistic
Forgiven. But just listen to the damn fucking record! If you don't like it after that (whether you listen to it on vinyl, cassette, whatever), fair enough. But whining before you've heard it is a little bit daft, even if i do get and agree with some of your often made points.

Bandit72

#12 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:01 am

NYRexall wrote: and I've yet to see anyone criticize Stephen's drumming
Myself and Larry did in the "I'll hit you back" thread. It wasn't really a crtitcism though, more of an observation that he wasn't playing with as much creativity as I/we know he can.
Bandit72 wrote:
pentwaterzoo wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Oh... and it's definite: Perkins lost his mojo. A shame, really. Totally standard drumming.
Yes I agree. I know some songs you can't overkill, but I had expected more from him.
Just curious when you think Perk lost it? I think he's been lackluster when I've seen him the last decade or so. Seems he was good on relapse and then kind of got comfy with the rest of the boys.

He's still great a great drummer and he'll will put some great stuff out for the rest of his life.
Good question. The stuff he's done with Banyan is old school Perkins, but I don't think since P4P has he really gone out to impress everyone. He's a fucking GREAT drummer, but can he ever get back the creativity and originality he once had as an 15 years + ago? He's done some very interesting things on TGEA but when I'm comparing it to "JA", it's not the best by a long way.

Jasper

#13 Post by Jasper » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:10 am

Eric B. wrote:Jeezus, don't get overexcited. I say: Just listen to this album and form your own opinion. It sn't that hard and it's just music. What's the point of building in so much assumptions/guarantees before this record can meet your standards. Just listen to it and tell us then what you think.....
Japhy wrote:
NYRexall wrote:Forgive me for sounding pessimistic
Forgiven. But just listen to the damn fucking record! If you don't like it after that (whether you listen to it on vinyl, cassette, whatever), fair enough. But whining before you've heard it is a little bit daft, even if i do get and agree with some of your often made points.
Agreed. Just listen to the fucking album. :balls: We all did and that's why it's reasonable for us to be talking about it. If you're not all that excited it shouldn't be that big of a deal to just listen to the fucking thing without having the precious, magical black circle spinning. If something's good, it's good. If it's bad, it's bad. The medium isn't going to change jack shit. Someone said the FLAC leaked anyways. No matter what, this album's not going to be NS or RDLH for you, I can guarantee you that, so drop any fancy fantasies you may be harboring. It does handily beat Strays for the vast majority of us, as the poll has shown, and obviously it shits all over SP. So just enjoy or dislike it for what it is.

:blah:

guysmiley

#14 Post by guysmiley » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:42 am

You know you've made it when the Wallstreet Journal is reporting on you............. :hs: fuck this them. :flip: