81%

Total votes: 32

Squee

Re: Was Perry a fraud from the start?

#26 Post by Squee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:36 am

elbuitre wrote:
Noonesshocking wrote:
SR wrote:
Noonesshocking wrote:Sometimes I debate this internally. But then some hero will upload shows I've never seen to youtube and the debate is settled. Dude had it. The band's greatness was a confluence of factors, one of which was that Perry was really in tune with something. Check out this show that just got put on youtube a week or two ago. My goodness. Chills. Can't imagine what it would've been like to actually witness it.

This is the best I have ever seen them.....DN's best I've seen by far.

Seriously. There have been a lot of great shows uploaded over the years, but this one just left me absolutely floored.
Agreed. Absolutely phenomenal. Someone needs to sit the band down and force them to watch this.
What a treat for the eyes, ears & soul ! :rockon: Perfection! They may say- those were the days...

Sit them down indeed! An intervention of sorts... lol

Pandemonium

#27 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:35 am

That Miami show was pretty cool, but it reminded me that Dave had the worst guitar tone (even accounting for the mediocre audience audio recording) back then. It sounds like he's playing a Japanese Gibson SG copy through a cheap transistor distortion stomp box out of a boom box.

Jasper

#28 Post by Jasper » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Pandemonium wrote:That Miami show was pretty cool, but it reminded me that Dave had the worst guitar tone (even accounting for the mediocre audience audio recording) back then. It sounds like he's playing a Japanese Gibson SG copy through a cheap transistor distortion stomp box out of a boom box.
I disagree. That spiky fucked-up tone was pure magic.

Pandemonium

#29 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:02 pm

Jasper wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:That Miami show was pretty cool, but it reminded me that Dave had the worst guitar tone (even accounting for the mediocre audience audio recording) back then. It sounds like he's playing a Japanese Gibson SG copy through a cheap transistor distortion stomp box out of a boom box.
I disagree. That spiky fucked-up tone was pure magic.
It certainly works and blends in the context of the band and as I said, the audience recording does him no favors. It's really when he punches in some echo (like in the solo for 3 Days) and/or other effects does he sound distinctive, otherwise I much prefer his sound on studio recordings during the 88-91 era.

kv

#30 Post by kv » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:56 pm

Surprised a quarter of us arent buying Perry at any point...why would you even be here?

mockbee

#31 Post by mockbee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:24 pm

I could almost go fraud, he was always looking for fame, he said so himself many times, but I think he truly felt, and let loose, the character he portrayed, just like we felt it.

How much of that character was really him, I don't know, but I don't think his show was fake or based on false intentions.

janesbiggestfan

#32 Post by janesbiggestfan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:48 pm

Ok, not to backtrack on the original statement I made that was quoted here, what I meant precisely is that looking at his interviews over the last 3 years or so you almost are forced to think that he was a fraud.

This is my god honest reaction when watching him.... or that he is a deeply suffering person, he seems like he is in a cloud and completely lost, disconnected from this persona from the 91 gigs presented above...

I personally don't believe he was a fraud. IMO its one of those situations where we all expect someone who was at god level once to have a lot of shit to give, to constantly deliver, to churn out classic fucking albums one after the other, year in year out... we are not accustomed to such trainwreck burnouts... he was just a short storm in a teacup and then nothing.... it gives me cognitive dissonance

I think perry farrell is most accurately described not as a fraud, but as a fluke and a short burst of genius. It is almost offensive how he has lost it.

I would also give credence to the idea that he was
1) drug driven (hence lost it without heroin) - he also may have injured his brain in some way (and this is serious, im not joking, perry is one of the few people where one could get that impressions of a burned out post addict brain)
2) super impressionable and moldable by his environment and people around him (casey etc) maybe to the point that as many artists he skillfully mixed, reframed and exploited other peoples ideas (as some would claim - he stole from casey etc)
3) angry, young fulll of angst and hated himself - people like that are oftentimes driven as fuck... i could see how after getting his dick sucked and cum swollowed in the proverbial limos in the 80s and early 90s likely hundreds of times by hot young sluts he overcame his likely inferiority complexes and internal confidence issues... add the the nosejobs, teeth replacement etc... and the money.... no longer a poor jew with a big nose... what to be angry about ???

Mind you, we are talking about perry as a human and artist and how he now seems to be a different person, like almost you wouldnt believe he is this guy but some imposter who abducted the real guy and took his place to fuck his tight-cunted asian trophy wife and enjoy the hotels, expensive alcohol and food and the business class flights

this discussion leaves aside the question of Jane's as a band, and whether it really was about several months of creative work between perry and eric with eric doing most of the heavy lifting - might be true (would explain why TGEA is a flop mostly being written by navarro and some hired hipster)

to end on a positive note... well there is no positive note but looking at his last few pictures we might just see him transform into an asian cat person like some other victims of just too many face lift surgeries... scary shit...

Pandemonium

#33 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:06 pm

Stumbled across this comics fanzine on eBay.... from 1977. Has Perry ever had an original thought or idea?

kv

#34 Post by kv » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:42 am

Pandemonium wrote:Stumbled across this comics fanzine on eBay.... from 1977. Has Perry ever had an original thought or idea?

lol ya that + Ian Astburys gathering of the tribes = a perry original idea