New JA in Dobel ad?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Larry B.

Re: New JA in Dobel ad?

#26 Post by Larry B. » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:28 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Larry B. wrote:I don't think that's the band at all. I'd say it's Perry and some musicians, clearly trying to imitate the sounds and textures of Jane's. The 'touch' of the drums and the drumming pattern don't sound like something Perkins would do, and the texture of the guitar doesn't have Dave's signature sound. But yes, it's a reprise of Mountain Song, it's a mimic of EA's opening bass line and it's a generic rawk guitar while Perry does his Bono.
I agree. I think it's telling the only other guy you see is the drummer disguising his face with a gas mask (appropriate considering the jingle stinks) or a silly wolf head. "Is it Perkins embarrassed to be there or is it some scrub trying to give the impression he's (Jane's) drummer?"

And yeah, Perry is going full tilt trying to be a Bono. The "Making Of" clip of the video is hilarious.
I (wish I) hadn't seen that. He's even trying Bono around 1991. You're fucking 24 years late, Perry!

"You just want to go out there and crush something" ... 25 seconds later ... "Take your time with life."

An absolute mental case.

Here it is, in case you want to see it:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#27 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Angry Canine wrote:
hokahey wrote: but this seems to be a fully fleshed out song.
Why? I don't hear anything session musicians couldn't put together in an hour.
It doesn't mean it's not a fleshed out song. I'm just not following the logic here. Why have Perry and session musicians write an original song for a commercial? Why not license some dumb shit Perry already has? Why does it sound so much like Janes? Why wouldn't the rest of Janes be pissed at Perry for making a fake Janes song? Or, why not just license a Janes song? It can't cost much.

bman

#28 Post by bman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:37 pm

It does sound like Janes. But that is Definitely not Perkins in the mask. You can tell by the hair. But then if it is Janes, why not just put them in the video too? Well that would probably cost Dobel a lot more money. It does sound like a fleshed out song to me. Is it a Perry solo thing or Janes. I don't know. I personally don't think they ever see eachother except for on stage! It also reminds me a tiny bit of parts of Bullet The Blue Sky by U2!

Angry Canine

#29 Post by Angry Canine » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:55 pm

hokahey wrote:
Angry Canine wrote:
hokahey wrote: but this seems to be a fully fleshed out song.
Why? I don't hear anything session musicians couldn't put together in an hour.
It doesn't mean it's not a fleshed out song. I'm just not following the logic here. Why have Perry and session musicians write an original song for a commercial? Why not license some dumb shit Perry already has? Why does it sound so much like Janes? Why wouldn't the rest of Janes be pissed at Perry for making a fake Janes song? Or, why not just license a Janes song? It can't cost much.
Have you ever been around musicians, studios, and the whole creative process? It sounds like you haven't. That's not an insult or anything, but if you haven't you don't have a realistic perspective of what goes into it, background music for movie and commercials is a far less soulful enterprise than "serious" music.

Decent session musicians can come up with something that sounds "Jane's Addictiony" in a couple of minutes. Then there is no music to license. Just a few musicians to pay an hourly session rate.

bman

#30 Post by bman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:07 pm

True. But they did use Underground for the last round of commercials. So they are not against paying.

JOEinPHX

#31 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:49 pm

My money is on this being Jane's music.

Remember how cut and paste Another Soulmate sounded?

I bet they have all sorts of jams recorded for Perry to put lyrics to whenever he gets around to it.

So Perry cuts some shit up, throws some vocals over it, it doesn't get used because none of them think it's good enough, so they sell a snippet of it to Dobel.

Perry's vocals are on it, he's their spokesman, so they have him do another advertisement where he mimes along. No other members necessary, but everyone gets paid for something that never would have seen the light of day.

How funny would it be if this was EMBRACE THE DARKNESS though. :lolol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#32 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:29 am

Six7Six7 wrote:My money is on this being Jane's music.

I bet they have all sorts of jams recorded for Perry to put lyrics to whenever he gets around to it.

So Perry cuts some shit up, throws some vocals over it, it doesn't get used because none of them think it's good enough, so they sell a snippet of it to Dobel.

Perry's vocals are on it, he's their spokesman, so they have him do another advertisement where he mimes along. No other members necessary, but everyone gets paid for something that never would have seen the light of day.

That's the scenario that makes the most sense. And it's funny, I had the same thought about Embrace the Darkness. Obviously not, but funny to think.

bman

#33 Post by bman » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:23 am

Yea I think that's probably it.

Hype

#34 Post by Hype » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:13 pm

hokahey wrote:
Noonesshocking wrote:On my way home from work, I was listening to the rock station here in philly. They play about 60% do the dew buttrock, and 40% tolerable to good stuff. This is a song by a newer band they played today:

Pretty shitty, right?. So when I get home I was telling my brother (who also posts here) about this shitty new "bringing the rawk back" band I just heard on the radio. Then I logged on and saw this thread. I called him over and gave him headphones without showing him what was on the screen. His response: "oh, is this that shitty band you were telling me about?"
Jesus christ. There are still new bands latching on to the neo-grunge thing?
How can we be sure that that isn't just 3 Doors Down with a new name? :lol:

Artemis

#35 Post by Artemis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Saw Dobel in the liquor store this evening. I didn't know it was sold here or that it costs so much!

panicparty

#36 Post by panicparty » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 am

My money is on this being Jane's music.

That doesn't make sense to me - Dobel would have to do the paying-to-licence-Jane's-Addiction-music without even getting the benefit of a Jane's song that anyone would recognise. And the rest of the band would have to consent? For that second reason, it really, really can't be Embrace the Darkness, can it?

thoreau

#37 Post by thoreau » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:44 am

Artemis wrote:Saw Dobel in the liquor store this evening. I didn't know it was sold here or that it costs so much!
It's not anything special either. I had some at a bar about a year ago and was not impressed. :neutral:

Romeo

#38 Post by Romeo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:01 am

of course it costs that much

How would anyone be able to afford YSL purses.

How much is it in the states? (I don't drink tequila so I wouldn't know)

kv

#39 Post by kv » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:47 am

About 40 bucks

sinep

#40 Post by sinep » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:47 pm

perkana

#41 Post by perkana » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Artemis wrote:Saw Dobel in the liquor store this evening. I didn't know it was sold here or that it costs so much!
To be honest, I have never tried it. It's supposed to be a clear aged tequila. That's why it's pricy.
P.S. I hope that was not Perky in the bunny mask.

kv

#42 Post by kv » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:27 pm

It had nice ratings on total wine

creep
Site Admin

#43 Post by creep » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:00 pm

someone tweet dave and ask if that's a ja song so we can end this controversy.

as far as the tequila...if i took a shot of a $5 bottle and a $200 bottle i could not tell the difference. my friends always want to buy patron and i always bitch about it.

Tyler Durden

#44 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:31 pm

My guess is that Dobel wanted "Mountain Song" for the commercial and Perry had to tell them this:

"Well, y'see...we used to put the original Jane's songs in stuff like Coors Light commercials and we got a ton of money for it and no one ever complained. Then in 2008, we reunited with our original bass player who helped write all of our good songs...y'know, the ones you would like in your ads. Well, he found out that he had veto power all along and would definitely put the kibosh on this. So, me and the other guys will record 60 seconds of something over Skype and email that sounds kind of like 'Mountain Song'."

perkana

#45 Post by perkana » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:17 pm

creep wrote: as far as the tequila...if i took a shot of a $5 bottle and a $200 bottle i could not tell the difference. my friends always want to buy patron and i always bitch about it.
I've never tried Patron. Thought it was just a fad for pretentious douchebags :noclue:
If we ever meet and you come here, I'm taking you to the town of Tequila. I'm not a tequila connoisseur but we would have a great time tasting drinks :bday: You don't have to buy any bottle, but both times I went there I had a blast.

Bandit72

#46 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:50 am

perkana wrote:
creep wrote: as far as the tequila...if i took a shot of a $5 bottle and a $200 bottle i could not tell the difference. my friends always want to buy patron and i always bitch about it.
I've never tried Patron. Thought it was just a fad for pretentious douchebags :noclue:
If we ever meet and you come here, I'm taking you to the town of Tequila. I'm not a tequila connoisseur but we would have a great time tasting drinks :bday: You don't have to buy any bottle, but both times I went there I had a blast.
i bought some Milagro Tequila in Tequila. It was very nice. And I was also taught how to drink it properly. None of this 'down it, eat some lime then lick salt of your hand' shit we get in this country.

perkana

#47 Post by perkana » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:35 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
perkana wrote:
i bought some Milagro Tequila in Tequila. It was very nice. And I was also taught how to drink it properly. None of this 'down it, eat some lime then lick salt of your hand' shit we get in this country.
It is the traditional way, but we don't down it. We sip it. Just asked my folks, my dad says there are different techniques, but my mom likes to suck some lime juice first, keep it inside your mouth, sip the tequila and then lick the salt off your hand (we put the salt in the hollow made between the thumb and the index finger).