TGEA and live shows

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Diabolik

TGEA and live shows

#1 Post by Diabolik » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:48 am

So what do you think will make it into the sets, and what do you want to hear?

Personally, It's short enough and in Perry's range that I'd love to see the whole album played upfront. Then a small intermission followed by a 40 minute set of classic songs.

Artemis

Re: TGEA and live shows

#2 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:01 pm

From the new material I would like to hear all except IF +Curiosity Kills.

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:06 pm

i am thinking Underground and Curiosity Kills will make it into the setlist. Maybe Twisted Tales.

I hope they keep ETTL, but i hope they remove IF.

bman

#4 Post by bman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:04 pm

THEY WON't..BUT...I think Underground into End To The Lies would be a great way to open a set. Then blast into Whores. Wow..look at the Janes Communitty..all happy about Janes and shit! this is way better than xiola.org!

I'll take Broken People closing over Jane Says too!

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:12 pm

bman wrote:THEY WON't..BUT...I think Underground into End To The Lies would be a great way to open a set
Hey, that wouldn't be bad at all... it would show that they consider these songs part of their real catalog, unlike Strays.

Deconstruction

#6 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:31 pm

I think we can all agree that they should kick off their shows with Underground. I'd like to see my other favorites played live too: Words Right Out Of My Mouth, I'll Hit You Back, Broken People, and Twisted Tales.

kv

#7 Post by kv » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:05 pm

new songs middle of the set every janes show ever should start with up the beach or whores fact

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:13 pm

kv wrote:new songs middle of the set every janes show ever should start with up the beach or whores fact
i hate to say it, but i think there should be a severe decrease in classic songs.

Break out a bunch from Strays and TGEA. Make people extra excited to hear the ones they know.

Japhy

#9 Post by Japhy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:16 pm

kv wrote:new songs middle of the set every janes show ever should start with up the beach or whores fact
Agree that UTB and Whores is perfect but i quite like it when they mix it up... Three Days didn't work but at least they tried something different. Memory is shit but think they opened with Whores in London a month or so back... UTB was played later. I'd be happy with Underground being the opener for a few shows now. Hopefully they'll have belief in these new songs and play the fuck out of them, rather than burying them.

Easton

#10 Post by Easton » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
i hate to say it, but i think there should be a severe decrease in classic songs.

Break out a bunch from Strays and TGEA. Make people extra excited to hear the ones they know.
I wouldn't mind if they'd drop Jane Says from the set. Do they really have to close almost every set with it? Don't know if it's blasphemy, but I never really understood the appeal of that song.

guysmiley

#11 Post by guysmiley » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:32 pm

They're going to have to hire a keyboardist or two or and extra guitarist to put some of this off. Won't sound as full and the double vocals shouldn't happen. Didn't work of the Kimmel show.

AdmitI

#12 Post by AdmitI » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:41 pm

There's so many guitar over dubs, they need Pete to play on tour with a keyboard player too.
I would like to hear Underground, Twisted Tales and Broken People live....

Deconstruction

#13 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:53 pm

Ideal Jane's setlist:

1. Underground
2. End to the Lies
3. Mountain Song
4. Whores
5. Just Because
6. Ocean Size
7. Three Days
8. Had A Dad
9. Been Caught Stealing
10. Ted...Just Admit It
11. Then She did
12. I'll Hit You Back
13. True Nature
14. Words Right Out Of My Mouth
15. Strays
16. Stop

Encore:

17. Summertime Roles
18. Broken People
19. Jane Says

It would be nice mix of songs from all four albums if they did something like this, it will never happen though unfortunately.

AdmitI

#14 Post by AdmitI » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Ideal Jane's setlist:

1. Up On The Beach
2. Ocean Size
3. Undergound
4. Mountain Song
5. Whores
5. Just Because
6. Three Days
8. Had A Dad
9. Been Caught Stealing
10. Ted...Just Admit It
11. Then She did
12. I'll Hit You Back
13. True Nature
14. Words Right Out Of My Mouth
15. Summertime Rolls

Encore:

16. Stop
17. Broken People
18. Jane Says
19. Chip Away
20. Classic Girl
Last edited by AdmitI on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

kv

#15 Post by kv » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:00 am

ideal janes setlist...anything off the first three records minus bcs and jane says

Jasper

#16 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:01 am

I wanna hear a bunch of new stuff, covers, and deep cuts, and whatever classics they feel like. I want to hear some of those slightly-longer solos by Dave, like at the Vibes Fest. Underground has gotta be in the mix for most shows, but I don't think any song should be a must every single night. Part of being a vital, living band is risking that poor little Johnny might not hear Jane Says or something. You can't fucking operate like that - things get stale.

If they get another guitarist for a big tour, it's gotta be Pete, if he's available. I mean, COME ON.

Also, if they get someone on keys, put them onstage. They can be way back, by Perk, not on a riser, or whatever, but don't put 'em under the fucking stage or something. Get some synth player from some cool struggling young band, so that they can fund their album or pay their rent or something.

phenobarb_bambalam

#17 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:03 am

It's almost like people forget who this band is.

Variety in set lists?! Heaven forbid. 19 songs in a set? Heaven forfend!

Jasper

#18 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:07 am

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:It's almost like people forget who this band is.

Variety in set lists?! Heaven forbid. 19 songs in a set? Heaven forfend!
Hey, it's "what do you want to hear," not "what do you think they'll play." I don't think anybody's putting money down that their wishes will become reality.

kv

#19 Post by kv » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:08 am

yep perry can't last 10 songs anymore

phenobarb_bambalam

#20 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 am

Jasper wrote: Hey, it's "what do you want to hear," not "what do you think they'll play." I don't think anybody's putting money down that their wishes will become reality.
I get that...but it's just kind of amusing. I appreciate they're positioned as "ideal" set lists, and we've all given up the ghost of certain songs ever resurfacing, but we know they'll be busting a gut to break a 70-minute set. Unless the leopard changes its spots, it just doesn't leave much opportunity to variety.

AdmitI

#21 Post by AdmitI » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:17 am

I think he could do an extended set list... but needs at least 3 days off in between shows to recover.

Jasper

#22 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:25 am

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Jasper wrote: Hey, it's "what do you want to hear," not "what do you think they'll play." I don't think anybody's putting money down that their wishes will become reality.
I get that...but it's just kind of amusing. I appreciate they're positioned as "ideal" set lists, and we've all given up the ghost of certain songs ever resurfacing, but we know they'll be busting a gut to break a 70-minute set. Unless the leopard changes its spots, it just doesn't leave much opportunity to variety.
Hey, I'd long since given up on Idiots Rule, Bobhaus, and L.A. Medley, but they busted all of those out this year, along with the Floyd and Who covers...maybe other stuff I can't remember right now. Long set lists aren't gonna happen, but at least *slightly* longer setlists stretched out with longer solos and some instrumental things could be possible. Maybe some of the new songs will be easier on Perry's vox as well. :noclue:

AdmitI

#23 Post by AdmitI » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:52 am

Totally agree! Up on the Beach is the best opener of all time....

tubro

#24 Post by tubro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:52 am

Jasper wrote:
phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Hey, I'd long since given up on Idiots Rule, Bobhaus, and L.A. Medley, but they busted all of those out this year, along with the Floyd and Who covers...maybe other stuff I can't remember right now. Long set lists aren't gonna happen, but at least *slightly* longer setlists stretched out with longer solos and some instrumental things could be possible. Maybe some of the new songs will be easier on Perry's vox as well. :noclue:
Al true. Ideal dream setlist (which ain't gonna happen) aside, my modest proposal is 3 songs longer than the regular show...all from TGEA. Basically the whole album in rotation, 5 per night. So if one happens to see 2 or 3 shows during the tour" you have a pretty decent chance to hear most of TGEA. That's very fan friendly and would keep creative juices flowing and really sort out for the future which songs are the real keepers. Then, with the rest of the set, put 4 of the regulars in nightly rotation....3 days or then she did; mt song or had a dad; ocean size or pigs in zen; whores or trip away. Finally, sprinkle occasional great bust outs...just once in a while play bobhaus or la medley.

This may work for them. If they leave the stage twice and play Ted as first encore and Jane as separate second encore the extra break and songs can add 25 minutes to the set for a respectable 100 min. And they can make more money because if the record does reasonably well (big 'if') and they have mid to big hall drawing power, a set of this length allows them to be packaged with a very low paying opening act which means much more money for them. The 75 min set requires a bigger and better opener to sell the show.

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:32 am

ideal jane's setlist:

------------------------------------------------

Part 1(mellow intro, rock, mellow outtro)
Kettle Whistle
Whores
Underground
ETTL
Mountain Song
Splash

Part 2 (mellow)
Just Because (acoustic)
Jane Says
Slow Divers
Summertime Rolls

Part 3 (rock)
Ted
Three Days
Ocean Size
Curiosity Kills

ENCORE

Aint No Right
Stop

-------------------------------------

I figure a few things:

1. Kettle Whistle gives perry's voice a chance to warmup a bit before he dives into the rest of the set
2. The crowd (who may contain alot of radio/casual fans) receive their dose of new music at the beginning as upbeat rock songs surrounded by a few classics
3. The mellow portion in the middle of the set is for those who smoked a J the first few songs and not only gives them something to trip out to, but also is Perry's opportunity to rest/go easy on his voice while still propelling the set forward
4. Back to the rock songs to give people some more classics and bring back the attention from those who mellowed too much during the mellow numbers
5. End the show high energy with 2 classics, leaving people walking away energized and minds blown.