who's sick of me talking about radiohead?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
lollapaloser

Re: who's sick of me talking about radiohead?

#26 Post by lollapaloser » Tue May 29, 2012 11:00 pm

Just got back from Radiohead up here in Mass, great show. Nothing from the bends, kick ass set list though:

01 Bloom
02 15 Step
03 Airbag
04 Staircase
05 The Daily Mail
06 Myxomatosis
07 The Gloaming
08 Separator
09 Pyramid Song
10 Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
11 Morning Mr Magpie
12 Identikit
13 Lotus Flower
14 There There
15 Feral
16 Idioteque
—-
17 Supercollider
18 The National Anthem
19 Lucky
20 After The Gold Rush/Everything In Its Right Place
—-
21 Give Up The Ghost
22 Bodysnatchers
23 Reckoner

Mescal

#27 Post by Mescal » Tue May 29, 2012 11:02 pm

I don't know any song from that setlist

creep
Site Admin

#28 Post by creep » Wed May 30, 2012 5:06 am

Mescal wrote:I don't know any song from that setlist
:lol: me either

Larry B.

#29 Post by Larry B. » Wed May 30, 2012 5:23 am

Reckoner is unbelievably good.

chaos

#30 Post by chaos » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:47 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/16/world/ame ... ?hpt=hp_t1
1 killed when Toronto stage collapses before sold-out Radiohead concert
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 7:14 PM EDT, Sat June 16, 2012

(CNN) -- One man died after metalwork collapsed onto a stage in Toronto's Downsview Park on Saturday afternoon, minutes before spectators were set to begin streaming in to watch a concert by the alternative rock group Radiohead, authorities said.
Ian McClelland, deputy commander of Toronto Emergency Medical Services, said that city paramedics pronounced the person dead at the scene.

Toronto police later announced on Twitter that the victim was a male in his 30s.

Another man who suffered serious injuries due to the collapse was transported to Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital, said McClelland. The 45-year-old man suffered a head injury that isn't considered life-threatening, according to Toronto police.
The other men with minor injuries were assessed and released, McClelland said. He added that he didn't believe any others were affected.

The victims were setting up a stage in the park when a "scaffolding-type structure collapsed" about 40 to 60 feet above the main stage area, said Toronto fire Capt. Mike Strapko.

Aerial footage showed that some metal framing -- some of it covered in a blue material -- crumpled on the stage, which was in front of a large grassy area. Some of the scaffolding-like material remained standing, reaching about 50 feet in the sky.
Uniformed personnel surveyed the scene, with yellow crime tape stretching around the stage and the surrounding area with police cars, fire trucks and at least one EMS vehicle parked nearby.

The incident occurred around 4 p.m., according to Toronto Police Service Constable Harrison Ford. The weather was good at the time, with no storm or significant winds, he said.

The gates were scheduled to open, allowing fans onto the concert grounds, at 5 p.m., according to CNN affiliate CBC.
That show -- which was sold out and had been scheduled for Saturday evening -- was canceled due to what the production company Live Nation Entertainment described as "unforeseen circumstances."

"Radiohead concert canceled. There has been an incident, more details forthcoming," said a post on Downsview Park's official Facebook page.

The band was to be joined by the Canadian musician known as Caribou

Artemis

#31 Post by Artemis » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:01 pm

What a tragedy. :sad:

Over the last few years there have been quite a few incidents like this. Hopefully,safety standards improve before more people lose their lives.

perkana

#32 Post by perkana » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:35 pm

nausearockpig

#33 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:37 pm

how the fuck does that happen??

Larry B.

#34 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:04 am

I remember something similar happening not too long ago due to strong winds... was it windy recently? I haven't read that it was, so I'm guessing it has more to do with someone not doing a very good job with their screwdriver.

Awful news. People shouldn't die due to concert-related incidents. Ever.

Artemis

#35 Post by Artemis » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:07 am

Larry B. wrote:I remember something similar happening not too long ago due to strong winds... was it windy recently? I haven't read that it was, so I'm guessing it has more to do with someone not doing a very good job with their screwdriver.
I think you are right. The Ministry of Labour is investigating to see what happened.

Yesterday was a calm, warm and sunny day - no high wind or storm forecasts.

creep
Site Admin

#36 Post by creep » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:40 am

Artemis wrote:The Ministry of Labour is investigating
i find it funny when countries hold on to these old names. when you mention the ministry of labour i imagine this guy out there investigating:

crater

#37 Post by crater » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:41 am

nausearockpig wrote:how the fuck does that happen??
Gravity

Artemis

#38 Post by Artemis » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:24 am

dave wrote:
Artemis wrote:The Ministry of Labour is investigating
i find it funny when countries hold on to these old names. when you mention the ministry of labour i imagine this guy out there investigating:

:lol: Yes, it's very George Orwell 1984.

So, the man who was killed was Radiohead's drum tech.

tubro

#39 Post by tubro » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:03 pm

sad about the stage tragedy. seems like an engineering error. huge fucking stage. huge fucking lighting rig. too much weight and not a well enough built stage. the wind thing at last year's show was different in that there, the stage was probably built just fine but it was out there somewhere in wizard of oz 'toto its a twister' land and a big storm came thru. and even if it was built to 130% of how strong it had to be to withstand most any weather event, that wind was too big. the crime there [and people probably have or will go to jail over that one] is that they saw the wind on the radar and didnt evacuate the crowd. a large classical concert nearby on a similarly large outdoor stage saw the same storm and did evacuate. that stage held but the point is that the promoter didnt protect the crowd. at the radiohead one, it was just a badly built stage. but the band could have been killed if it had happened an hour later during soundcheck or 3 hours later during the show. that would have been a pretty big story.

and reading from the comments here, a lot of jane's fans wouldn't have felt much of a loss, at least from a critical standpoint. [i'm not saying you guys are haters or insensitive ... probably just making a bad joke about how many of you don't care for them.] i respectfully disagree. for me, after jane's in the chronological faves of the history of rock, there is radiohead. of course they can be frustrating with their introverted and odd electronic approach to playing that has been a strong part of their music since kid a. its pretty heady arty stuff. but its also monster rock from a punk rock traditioin. from when i first saw them in 95 on the bends tour, four years post ja 1.0 and 15 years after the last time i had seen the clash [the band that, for me, precedes ja on that list of my fave/best bands of their respective eras], they filled the same void that ja had filled for me in 89.....here again was a band that was just full out killing the room and seemingly themselves with fervor and above mortal ability. primal and explosive. almost unbelievable that a live show could be that good. i felt that at my first live jane's show at the ritz in 1990 [89?] and i felt it at my first live radiohead show at roseland in 95. its interesting chronolgically because when relapse happened, of course i wished there was new music and the original four but the shows were cosmic and electric and amazing. still, by then it was clear that one band was still playing great while the other band, touring ok computer, was beyond great. writing an album for the ages and taking it on the road to blow people's minds with it. fast forward 15 years and i just got done seeing them four times, the last just a couple of nights before the toronto thing. clearly they are not willing or perhaps able to play punk style live shows anymore. but consider this, especially in the context of ja and the love/hate relationship they sort of foist on us fans. radiohead released an album of 8 new songs but augmented it with 4 or 5 other new ones on singles and at gigs over the year or so since they released the king of limbs. some are beloved by most all of their fans; some less so. their forum at 'ateaseweb.com' [one of the two forum communities besides xiola/anr that i've ever been a part of] has some doubters and a couple of haters but is generally still filled with people who [think] know that they are hip to the best band in the world. and most would agree, i think, with me that this tour's setlist would be cool if they played some more bends and okc and generally explored more of their back catalogue, but when all is said and done, they're out there every night playing all their new songs and working them out as an artist still creating a masterpiece. and they do this with a stage show that is second to none -- just simply beautiful tasteful and brilliant lights and screens. imagine if our band put out new music so good and cared about it so much that all they wanted to do was play it every night and all we wanted to do was hear it. sure we bitch about the stagnant setlist, but that's more because ja should play of course and pigs in zen and my time and standing in the shower and no one's leaving....not because we want them to play all of tgea and strays.

radiohead is weird and can be frustrating brits but man are they fucking great. and if you have a chance to see them, do not miss it.

sorry for the long post. i'm sure its awful and redundant and pointless and all that. and i'm not going back to re-read prior to hitting send. i just hope you stopped reading long ago. i'm feeling wordy tonite.

kv

#40 Post by kv » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:02 pm

who's sick of me talking about radiohead?

followed by wall of text

:balls:

blackula

#41 Post by blackula » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:46 pm

tubro wrote:sad about the stage tragedy. seems like an engineering error. huge fucking stage. huge fucking lighting rig. too much weight and not a well enough built stage. the wind thing at last year's show was different in that there, the stage was probably built just fine but it was out there somewhere in wizard of oz 'toto its a twister' land and a big storm came thru. and even if it was built to 130% of how strong it had to be to withstand most any weather event, that wind was too big. the crime there [and people probably have or will go to jail over that one] is that they saw the wind on the radar and didnt evacuate the crowd. a large classical concert nearby on a similarly large outdoor stage saw the same storm and did evacuate. that stage held but the point is that the promoter didnt protect the crowd. at the radiohead one, it was just a badly built stage. but the band could have been killed if it had happened an hour later during soundcheck or 3 hours later during the show. that would have been a pretty big story.

and reading from the comments here, a lot of jane's fans wouldn't have felt much of a loss, at least from a critical standpoint. [i'm not saying you guys are haters or insensitive ... probably just making a bad joke about how many of you don't care for them.] i respectfully disagree. for me, after jane's in the chronological faves of the history of rock, there is radiohead. of course they can be frustrating with their introverted and odd electronic approach to playing that has been a strong part of their music since kid a. its pretty heady arty stuff. but its also monster rock from a punk rock traditioin. from when i first saw them in 95 on the bends tour, four years post ja 1.0 and 15 years after the last time i had seen the clash [the band that, for me, precedes ja on that list of my fave/best bands of their respective eras], they filled the same void that ja had filled for me in 89.....here again was a band that was just full out killing the room and seemingly themselves with fervor and above mortal ability. primal and explosive. almost unbelievable that a live show could be that good. i felt that at my first live jane's show at the ritz in 1990 [89?] and i felt it at my first live radiohead show at roseland in 95. its interesting chronolgically because when relapse happened, of course i wished there was new music and the original four but the shows were cosmic and electric and amazing. still, by then it was clear that one band was still playing great while the other band, touring ok computer, was beyond great. writing an album for the ages and taking it on the road to blow people's minds with it. fast forward 15 years and i just got done seeing them four times, the last just a couple of nights before the toronto thing. clearly they are not willing or perhaps able to play punk style live shows anymore. but consider this, especially in the context of ja and the love/hate relationship they sort of foist on us fans. radiohead released an album of 8 new songs but augmented it with 4 or 5 other new ones on singles and at gigs over the year or so since they released the king of limbs. some are beloved by most all of their fans; some less so. their forum at 'ateaseweb.com' [one of the two forum communities besides xiola/anr that i've ever been a part of] has some doubters and a couple of haters but is generally still filled with people who [think] know that they are hip to the best band in the world. and most would agree, i think, with me that this tour's setlist would be cool if they played some more bends and okc and generally explored more of their back catalogue, but when all is said and done, they're out there every night playing all their new songs and working them out as an artist still creating a masterpiece. and they do this with a stage show that is second to none -- just simply beautiful tasteful and brilliant lights and screens. imagine if our band put out new music so good and cared about it so much that all they wanted to do was play it every night and all we wanted to do was hear it. sure we bitch about the stagnant setlist, but that's more because ja should play of course and pigs in zen and my time and standing in the shower and no one's leaving....not because we want them to play all of tgea and strays.

radiohead is weird and can be frustrating brits but man are they fucking great. and if you have a chance to see them, do not miss it.

sorry for the long post. i'm sure its awful and redundant and pointless and all that. and i'm not going back to re-read prior to hitting send. i just hope you stopped reading long ago. i'm feeling wordy tonite.
I think that they are the closest thing to the Beatles that we will ever see. Creep was a great "single" at the time, self deprecating, soft verse, louder chorus, generic for the time, but way above average. They kept progressing and if Creep is I Want To Hold Your Hand, OK Computer is Revolver, and Kid A is Sgt. Peppers. They kept progressing and it made sense, like listening to the Beatles albums in order, you think "wow these dudes evolved". Even the back to basics aspect of Hail to the Theif is comparable to the Beatles "Get Back" era.

Now that I praised the shit out of them, I can say that last album fucking bores the living shit out of me. I was cool with In Rainbows. This last album though...fucking snoozefest.

blackula

#42 Post by blackula » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Twyla wrote:
blackula wrote:I think that they are the closest thing to the Beatles that we will ever see.
i don't think i can ever take you seriously
When you take that one line, yes. The way they evolved and created great albums is comparable to the Beatles going from top 40 pop to experimental. I understand why you don't get my point. Our mutual favourite band pretty much wrote all of their songs in 1986 except for of course and the bass player may or may not have played on it.

I don't love Radiohead. I just think that if you look at the way they grew over the years and stayed relevent and kept pushing themeselves, it's the closest thing to the Beatles we'll see. I'm not comparing the overall output, the Beatles are who they are. I'm just saying that when you look at music in the term of era's and decades, like the post I was commenting on, they never played it safe and always pushed it and experimented. Who the fuck else can you say that about?

Bandit72

#43 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:39 am

I love Radiohead. I hate the Beatles. :noclue:

clickie

#44 Post by clickie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:51 am

well mine favourite beetle is george henderson

I like his solo stuff most and he lives his life with a purpose.

Hype

#45 Post by Hype » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:31 pm

clickie wrote:well mine favourite beetle is george henderson

I like his solo stuff most and he lives his life with a purpose.

:confused:

Pandemonium

#46 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:37 pm

LOL, The Darkness cover "Street Spirit:"

Bandit72

#47 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:18 am

Pandemonium wrote:LOL, The Darkness cover "Street Spirit:"

Actually, I don't mind that!