Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby Bandit72 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:57 am

I hope this is as good as the book.

User avatar
Bandit72
 
Posts: 2470
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:04 am
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby kv » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:56 am

they are never as good as the book
User avatar
kv
 
Posts: 6667
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby mockbee » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:33 am

Bandit72 wrote:I hope this is as good as the book.




Wow. When I clicked on the link I was thinking......great.....another shitty mountain movie. But it actually looked pretty good. I will see this. I am really stoked for the scenery and it has a really good cast. They can put shit actors in these and people will still go.

I'll probably see it with my dad. It feels like your body is dying at 17,000' , I can't imagine 25,000+.....


The book was fine, the movie may be better if they do it right.

Or maybe they are just getting damn good at the previews.

:banana:
User avatar
mockbee
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:05 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby creep » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:23 pm

mockbee wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:I hope this is as good as the book.




Wow. When I clicked on the link I was thinking......great.....another shitty mountain movie. But it actually looked pretty good. I will see this. I am really stoked for the scenery and it has a really good cast. They can put shit actors in these and people will still go.

I'll probably see it with my dad. It feels like your body is dying at 17,000' , I can't imagine 25,000+.....


The book was fine, the movie may be better if they do it right.

Or maybe they are just getting damn good at the previews.

:banana:


yeah actually looks pretty good. i will see it.
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8970
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby Matz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:41 pm

not overwhelmed, but I'll definitely check it out, I've probably read the book three times. Is Gyllenhaal Scott Fischer!? Hope not, Fischer was way cooler than that
User avatar
Matz
 
Posts: 3231
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby mockbee » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Matz wrote:not overwhelmed, but I'll definitely check it out, I've probably read the book three times. Is Gyllenhaal Scott Fischer!? Hope not, Fischer was way cooler than that


Fischer was kind of an idiot.
But I do really respect what he did to clean all the trash off of everest. :nod:

Didn't seem Krakauer cared much for him either.

It will be interesting to see how the movie portraits the characters. If is sticks to Jon's interpretation or takes bits and pieces from all the other books.


Now Ed Viesturs is the man. He was amazing and so humble.

If you like all the pop-mountain books like Into Thin Air, Touching the Void, Eiger Dreams etc... I would highly suggest Viesturs "No Shortcuts to the Top" if you haven't read that.


And the classic of all mountain classics Herzog's "Annapurna" :cool:
User avatar
mockbee
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:05 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby creep » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:13 pm

Matz wrote:not overwhelmed, but I'll definitely check it out, I've probably read the book three times. Is Gyllenhaal Scott Fischer!? Hope not, Fischer was way cooler than that


i've noticed matz is very hard to please :tiphat:
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8970
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby Matz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:58 am

mockbee wrote:
Matz wrote:not overwhelmed, but I'll definitely check it out, I've probably read the book three times. Is Gyllenhaal Scott Fischer!? Hope not, Fischer was way cooler than that


Fischer was kind of an idiot.
But I do really respect what he did to clean all the trash off of everest. :nod:


If you base that on the fact that he didn't use oxygen until the very end, as far as I remember, I agree, that seems like a foolish and very irresponsible macho thing to do. Of course his company was and is called Mountain Madness so why not. But personally he strikes me as a cool guy, way cooler than Jake, so I think that casting could have been done better, but we'll see, I might be completely wrong.

If only this woman, Lene Gammelgaard, a dane isn't featured in the movie, I'm happy :jasper: can't stand her, so incredibly full of herself because she once was escorted up that fuckin thing. She was on Fischer's team.

Anatoli Boukreev seems like one of the good and courageous guys to me also, but who the fuck really knows.

I'd like to read a book about a K2 expedition, there's something about that mountain, but as far as I know there isn't one.
User avatar
Matz
 
Posts: 3231
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby creep » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:53 am

Matz wrote:
If only this woman, Lene Gammelgaard, a dane isn't featured in the movie, I'm happy :jasper: can't stand her, so incredibly full of herself because she once was escorted up that fuckin thing. She was on Fischer's team.



according to imdb she is in it and played by charlotte bøving.

Image

and jake is scott fischer. i like jake. he's a pretty good actor. :noclue:
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8970
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby mockbee » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:02 am

Matz wrote:
mockbee wrote:
Matz wrote:not overwhelmed, but I'll definitely check it out, I've probably read the book three times. Is Gyllenhaal Scott Fischer!? Hope not, Fischer was way cooler than that


Fischer was kind of an idiot.
But I do really respect what he did to clean all the trash off of everest. :nod:


If you base that on the fact that he didn't use oxygen until the very end, as far as I remember, I agree, that seems like a foolish and very irresponsible macho thing to do. Of course his company was and is called Mountain Madness so why not. But personally he strikes me as a cool guy, way cooler than Jake, so I think that casting could have been done better, but we'll see, I might be completely wrong.

If only this woman, Lene Gammelgaard, a dane isn't featured in the movie, I'm happy :jasper: can't stand her, so incredibly full of herself because she once was escorted up that fuckin thing. She was on Fischer's team.

Anatoli Boukreev seems like one of the good and courageous guys to me also, but who the fuck really knows.

I'd like to read a book about a K2 expedition, there's something about that mountain, but as far as I know there isn't one.


I bet it will be Sandy Pittman featured in the movie, she seemed like a real handful, I don't even remember the Lene woman in any of the books, but reading up, she seems accomplished and held her own. ***maybe I am thinking of someone else*** o h forget it.

Russians are crazy, even Viesturs sings Boukreevs praises.

Both of these books about the '86 K2 disaster are very good. As a kid one of my friend's dad died in the avalanche, in attempting to be the first ascent via the Magic Line.

Diemberger, Kurt, The Endless Knot: K2, Mountain of Dreams and Destiny, Mountaineers Books, 1991

Curran, Jim, K2: Triumph and Tragedy, Grafton, 1989
User avatar
mockbee
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:05 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby Matz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:02 pm

I forgot about Pittman, the high society queen from NY, or whatever she was/is. :lol: Should be an entertaining part of the movie.

Gammelgaard has her own book out, Climbing high. It's not a plug, I don't remember it as being very interesting compared to Boukreev's and Jon's books. Should have been called 'To the summit and safe return' as she probably repeats that 400 times in the book. It was a mantra of hers that she would say to herself A LOT and that was intended to sink into her subconsciounce or something like that. perhaps a good idea, don't know, but annoying as hell to read about thats for sure.
She's not a complete dummy on a mountain as some of them were, but I think it was her first time over 5000 meters or something, but like I said I'm not fond of her as a person. She's not nearly as clever as she thinks she is imo.

Image

I might check out one or two of the K2 books, thanks
User avatar
Matz
 
Posts: 3231
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby Matz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:10 pm

creep wrote:
Matz wrote:
If only this woman, Lene Gammelgaard, a dane isn't featured in the movie, I'm happy :jasper: can't stand her, so incredibly full of herself because she once was escorted up that fuckin thing. She was on Fischer's team.



according to imdb she is in it and played by charlotte bøving.

Image

and jake is scott fischer. i like jake. he's a pretty good actor. :noclue:


let's hope it's a near cameo for Bøving. I agree Jake's a good actor, in the clip he just doesn't strike me as the guy I imagined Fischer to be. Too frat boy'ish or something. But that's of course the problem you run into when first reading a book and then watching the movie version sometimes. They've hopefully researched well and have a better idea of what Fischer was like than what I do so its' accurate
User avatar
Matz
 
Posts: 3231
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby Artemis » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:04 pm

I'm thinking to pass on Canada Day fireworks and see Magic MIke XXL instead. Image








I saw the first one and liked it. The XXL has been getting pretty decent reviews, I'm surprised.
User avatar
Artemis
 
Posts: 7967
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby perkana » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:28 pm

I want to watch it, too :cool:
Have you seen him showing 7 dance moves in 30 secs? I just think he's adorable and a great actor.
User avatar
perkana
 
Posts: 4982
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby Artemis » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:32 pm

Yes, I saw it earlier today. Agree with you about Channing Tatum.
User avatar
Artemis
 
Posts: 7967
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby Pandemonium » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:57 am

Good, clean family fun!

User avatar
Pandemonium
 
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby Bandit72 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:11 am

Looks decent

User avatar
Bandit72
 
Posts: 2470
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:04 am
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby Matz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:23 pm

finally watched Black Hawk Down....aka Big Let Down. I don't think a movie exists that has less character development than this one. During the movie I was referring to the names of the characters by their real names...'Hmm, Sizemore is hit, that's a shame'
User avatar
Matz
 
Posts: 3231
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby creep » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Matz wrote:finally watched Black Hawk Down....aka Big Let Down. I don't think a movie exists that has less character development than this one. During the movie I was referring to the names of the characters by their real names...'Hmm, Sizemore is hit, that's a shame'


i thought it was boring as shit.
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8970
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Postby Pandemonium » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:57 am

I watched "What We Do In The Shadows" this week which is a low budget "documentary" comedy about a group of vampires living together in a house in New Zealand, trying to adjust to 21st century life. Although the movie isn't that great and really doesn't have much of a linear plot, it does have some funny moments from start to finish. Amusingly, one of the actors seems to be channeling SCTV's Joe Flaherty as Count Floyd. Worth a look.
User avatar
Pandemonium
 
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Music And Art

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest