Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
perkana

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1441 Post by perkana » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:54 pm

I didn't leave the room, I stayed to see what was going to happen next until it ended. He does know how to captivate you even if you know it's not that good.

creep
Site Admin

#1442 Post by creep » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:45 pm

perkana wrote:This could be our first movie, what do you think, creep?
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Sisterho ... 42714.html
Then we could have a marathon...
did i actually admit to liking the first one??

usually i insist on picking movies but i will let you choose our first.

perkana

#1443 Post by perkana » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 am

Has anybody seen this one? it looks good

perkana

#1444 Post by perkana » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:02 pm

I watched today Cinderella and Chappie. "Frozen Fever"short was fun to watch (also read there will be a Frozen sequel bandit :wink: ) I didn't know that Kenneth Branagh had directed Cinderella. Richard Madden (GOT's Rob Stark), Helena Bonham Carter, Ben Chapman and Cate Blanchet star in it. It was alright, definitely a nice movie for kids. Chappie was filled with enough violence, dark humor and also cute for me. I loved it.

clickie

#1445 Post by clickie » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:43 am

You guys ever see that movie Pain and Gain, probably one of the best movies made in the last 2 years.

SR

#1446 Post by SR » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:13 pm

I just got though 3 minutes of the interview. Franco is the most irritating actor on the planet. Kim kardashian looks like Meryl Streep compared to him. It would have been a fraction of a second, but eminen was good.

perkana

#1447 Post by perkana » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:50 pm

clickie wrote:You guys ever see that movie Pain and Gain, probably one of the best movies made in the last 2 years.
Nope, I missed it. Thanks for the recommendation. I love the Rock.

perkana

#1448 Post by perkana » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:13 pm

They started filming Spectre this week. As usual, they had to use day of the dead as theme.

SR

#1449 Post by SR » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:25 am

Watched Birdman and Chef last night. Both were excellent.

mockbee

#1450 Post by mockbee » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:58 pm

SR wrote:Watched Birdman........
Did you actively like the ending, or just think it was an okay way to end an excellent film?

SR

#1451 Post by SR » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:12 pm

mockbee wrote:
SR wrote:Watched Birdman........
Did you actively like the ending, or just think it was an okay way to end an excellent film?
loved it. It allowed for a number of different interprerptations, all of which work for me. If I had any complaint, a couple of them are just too optimistic. Funny, my wife hated it and we were just talking about it over coffee this am

mockbee

#1452 Post by mockbee » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:31 pm

I agree with your wife. :hehe:

SR

#1453 Post by SR » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:35 pm

mockbee wrote:I agree with your wife. :hehe:
I figured that as I made my reply.

mockbee

#1454 Post by mockbee » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:39 pm

SR wrote:
Did she like the movie and just not the ending, or the whole thing?

I was just disappointed because it was an excellent (dark/funny) movie with what I felt was a slapped together ending. :noclue:

SR

#1455 Post by SR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:26 am

mockbee wrote:
SR wrote:
Did she like the movie and just not the ending, or the whole thing?

I was just disappointed because it was an excellent (dark/funny) movie with what I felt was a slapped together ending. :noclue:
She had problems with a few things in the film.

The ending was true to the fact that there were no answers to the multiple struggles that Birdman was tackling in the film, so I thought it was well conceived as with most of the film. Interesting too that a Carver short was chosen as the vehicle for him to attempt his ascension to 'credibility' in theater, and not Beckett, Shakes, O'Neil, etc. Even as Carver goes, Cathedral would have been more appropriate.

Pandemonium

#1456 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:03 pm

I finally saw Interstellar late last week on Blu-ray. Probably my most anticipated movie of the last couple years even without the hype it picked up when it hit theaters so of course I was a bit let down after finally watching it. Won't do spoilers but there's a number of things both character driven and a few plot contrivances that bugged me a bit. It's a very good movie but it's nothing close to the more abstract "2001: A Space Odyssey" that I've often heard it compared favorably to.

OK, here's one spoiler:

Larry B.

#1457 Post by Larry B. » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Just finished watching "Whiplash." What a shitfest. Imagine a sports drama with a lot of new-soldier drama, add a nonsensical romantic side-story, and you get this over rated piece of shit.

It's essentially a tough-looking fella abusing a bunch of people, which makes them better. Because he loves them, that's why he must hate them. And the young hero doesn't understand why he's being abused, but in the end he gets it. Abuse is education.

Warning: this movie, seriously, is not about music. Like, at all.

2/10.

Matz

#1458 Post by Matz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:45 am

right

perkana

#1459 Post by perkana » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:31 pm

I really liked that one...The ending was kinda like a joke, I give you that. But I enjoyed watching the drummer putting G.K. Simmons in his place.
I agree with it not being about music, now that I think about it, it kinda reminded me of The Turning Point. A movie that takes place in the ballet world, but not really about ballet. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.

creep
Site Admin

#1460 Post by creep » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:26 pm

anyone else watch the going clear doc on scientology last night on hbo? i had no idea how wacky the "religion" really is. really interesting stuff.

Pandemonium

#1461 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:52 pm

creep wrote:anyone else watch the going clear doc on scientology last night on hbo? i had no idea how wacky the "religion" really is. really interesting stuff.

In the early 80's on a hot Summer afternoon, my buddy and I were walking a crowded Hollywood Blvd and as we passed the Scientology building, a couple of their mindless drones approached us for "testing." I should add we'd been drinking at a corner dive for the previous hour so we had a good buzz going. So we figure it would be at least funny to see where this leads. They seperate us and go one on one on us in individual rooms with bullshit like " you cant be happy with your life" and "we can give you purpose." It really is as cult-like as you can imagine. Took us almost two hours to get our stupid asses out of there.

Hype

#1462 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:46 am

I always thought it might be fun to do one of those tests just to see for myself, but the more I've heard about that shit the more it's obvious that it would be like the best damned door-to-door salesman ever... and I don't think I want to go anywhere near that. Pandemonium's story just confirms it. They're selling you billion-year long time-shares. :jasper:

Pandemonium

#1463 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:12 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I always thought it might be fun to do one of those tests just to see for myself, but the more I've heard about that shit the more it's obvious that it would be like the best damned door-to-door salesman ever... and I don't think I want to go anywhere near that. Pandemonium's story just confirms it. They're selling you billion-year long time-shares. :jasper:
Even back then in '83ish when these kind of cult groups could still get away with harassing people on the street like the Moonies aggressively hitting you up for money in LAX, what the Scientology goofs were doing at their HQ in Hollywood was undoubtedly outside the law. I remember stories on the news about these guys targeting runaways (just like pimps and drug dealers) who'd wind up in Hollywood from all over the country looking to "make it" as an actor or musicians.

We were basically stuck in individual small rooms with a "tester" and not really given an easy way to leave. Once I quickly got bored and uncomfortable with the novelty of the "interview" and wanted to leave, I had to make it clear I was not Scientology material by being as ridiculously obnoxious as possible ("do we get to have orgies?") 'til the guy just got fed up and realized it was a waste of his time. My buddy was a lot more argumentative, loud and drunk and got thrown out after just just a few minutes and had to wait outside on the street for half an hour for me. I still think they have members out on Hollywood Blvd looking for easy marks but it's nowhere near as obvious as it used to be.

Larry B.

#1464 Post by Larry B. » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:12 am

I've just watched it now, I thought it was really really good. It looks very well put together and manages to explain seriously what South Park explained about 10 years ago. Absolutely recommended. Now, I know this would be hard for some, but if you replace "Scientology" with any other cult or religion, you get essentially the same result: the ones are the top are all just a bunch of people trying to live tax free, their organizations are worth millions or billions of dollars and their followers are fucking bananas. Walking on water? Surviving 40 days in the desert? Being born again as a cow? Parasitic aliens live inside you? Suuure...

8/10.

creep
Site Admin

#1465 Post by creep » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:28 pm

i have to admit the beiber roast was pretty hilarious. that's my review.