Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Larry B.

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1376 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:55 am

I need to see Birdman and Boyhood soon, both look great.

Saw a bit of Short Term 12 last night. While the main actress was great, it was really boring, predictable and plagued with cliches. I thought the script was extremely poor as well. No idea why it's been praised so much. 3/10.

perkana

#1377 Post by perkana » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:18 am

creep wrote:i watched boyhood tonight. if you haven't heard about this movie it was filmed over twelve years so you can see the characters grow up during the movie. it was really well done and i really liked it.

I haven't watched a Richard Linklater movie that I didn't like. A friend told me that the soundtrack is good too. Plus, it's not often that you really like something :wink:
Linklater was on a wtf podcast last Thursday:
http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/ ... _linklater

perkana

#1378 Post by perkana » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:32 am

Pete has been working with the guy in charge of this movie's music score. Cast looks good and it definitely is a chick flick. I haven't seen a good one in a couple of years.
Miss You Already is an upcoming American-British romantic comedy film directed by Catherine Hardwicke and written by Morwenna Banks. The film stars Drew Barrymore, Toni Collette, Dominic Cooper and Paddy Considine.
Plot: A relationship between two childhood friends Jess and Milly gets worse when one gets pregnant and the other gets sick.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2245003/

perkana

#1379 Post by perkana » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:50 pm

creep wrote:i watched boyhood tonight. if you haven't heard about this movie it was filmed over twelve years so you can see the characters grow up during the movie. it was really well done and i really liked it.

Watched this one yesterday. I liked it but I thought 2h 40 min was too long to watch sitting down at the movie theater. Did you know that the girl who played MJ's older sister was Richard Linklater's own daughter? So were the two girls in the end at his graduation party. I thought that was sweet :cool:

Pandemonium

#1380 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Watched Terry Gilliam's latest movie Zero Theorem last night. Although like virtually all of Gilliam's films, this one has some flaws (especially the way the last minute of the ending is handled) and is pretty trippy and of course, colorful but overall, it's probably just under Brazil and 12 Monkeys (and is much in the same thematic territory as those two movies) as my favorite non-Python movie from him. Christoph Waltz is excellent.

creep
Site Admin

#1381 Post by creep » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:36 am

i watched the imitation game tonight. i thought it was really overrated. it was just ok...far from one of the best pictures of the year.

creep
Site Admin

#1382 Post by creep » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:25 am

taken 3 tonight. i went in to this knowing that it was going to be mindless entertainment but what a piece of poo this movie was.

it's good to know that you can assault 50 police officers, crash 20 cop cars, escape from custody, kill russians and then have the chief of police tell you that he could of arrested you for illegally downloading police info. all that other shit must not have mattered.

and it always bothers me in movies and tv shows when someone pushes a fire alarm and the sprinklers go off. doesn't everyone understand that they don't go off like that? also every car must of had 1000 gallons of gas by the way they exploded....i could go on an on. all i ask is that they make the story a little more believable.

perkana

#1383 Post by perkana » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:36 am

creep wrote:i watched the imitation game tonight. i thought it was really overrated. it was just ok...far from one of the best pictures of the year.
I don't care, Benedict is in it, period.

perkana

#1384 Post by perkana » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:39 am

creep wrote:taken 3 tonight. i went in to this knowing that it was going to be mindless entertainment but what a piece of poo this movie was.

it's good to know that you can assault 50 police officers, crash 20 cop cars, escape from custody, kill russians and then have the chief of police tell you that he could of arrested you for illegally downloading police info. all that other shit must not have mattered.

and it always bothers me in movies and tv shows when someone pushes a fire alarm and the sprinklers go off. doesn't everyone understand that they don't go off like that? also every car must of had 1000 gallons of gas by the way they exploded....i could go on an on. all i ask is that they make the story a little more believable.
It's a movie creep...I bet you're a Bond movie hater. I hate having conversations about what's believable or not. It's fiction and those kind of movies are supposed to be over the top. I always enjoy them, but I'm not going to watch that one. As much as I like Liam and I did enjoy the first two, I just can't.

Larry B.

#1385 Post by Larry B. » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:49 pm

I saw Toy Story 3 this week.

One of the best animated movies ever, hands down. Quite entertaining and disturbingly moving. I spent the last 10 or 15 minutes crying. 8/10.

creep
Site Admin

#1386 Post by creep » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:54 pm

perkana wrote:
creep wrote:i watched the imitation game tonight. i thought it was really overrated. it was just ok...far from one of the best pictures of the year.
i don't understand how this guy is a sex symbol now. oh well

creep
Site Admin

#1387 Post by creep » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:00 pm

perkana wrote:
creep wrote:taken 3 tonight. i went in to this knowing that it was going to be mindless entertainment but what a piece of poo this movie was.

It's a movie creep...I bet you're a Bond movie hater. I hate having conversations about what's believable or not. It's fiction and those kind of movies are supposed to be over the top. I always enjoy them, but I'm not going to watch that one. As much as I like Liam and I did enjoy the first two, I just can't.
oh it's a movie....i like bond movies and i like the first taken and the second was ok. he plays the same character pretty much in a walk among the tombstones which is much better. so after you go after me about being critical about it you say you liked the previous movies but won't watch this??

i wonder if it was hard for liam to have his wife die in the movie since that hits a little too close to home.

Artemis

#1388 Post by Artemis » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:02 pm

creep wrote:
perkana wrote:
I think he's a really good actor but do not find him attractive. He looks too boyish for me. :noclue:

creep
Site Admin

#1389 Post by creep » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:04 pm

Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:
perkana wrote:
I think he's a really good actor but do not find him attractive. He looks too boyish for me. :noclue:
sort of alien looking to me but i'm probably better at rating the attractiveness of women. :noclue:

perkana

#1390 Post by perkana » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:18 pm

I have weird taste but I'm not the only one. For me it's his voice and gaze :boobs:
My favorite Taken is the first one of course. It was kinda original, the second one was entertaining. Honestly, I've never cared about his ex-wife :lol:
His wife died in 2009, I don’t even know if he's dating anyone. I just wonder why he did the third one. Besides money, he must like doing them :noclue:

Hype

#1391 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:45 am

Well now I'm not going to enjoy Taken 3 because Creep ruined the plot for me! :lolol:

Artemis

#1392 Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:33 am

Has anyone seen American Sniper?
I'm curious to know what the big deal about it. I don't want to pay for it at a movie theatre but I might see if I can find it on a free streaming site.
Even stupid Sara Palin has chimed in.

Michael Moore tweeted this
: @MMFlint
Follow
My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren't heroes. And invaders r worse
http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/t ... gy8VV9fwix

chaos

#1393 Post by chaos » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:06 pm

I saw Boyhood today and was pleasantly surprised. Although it is a long movie, you get swept up in it.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/ju ... ilm-review

The genius of Boyhood is that while watching it, you simply forget about the head-scrambling logistics of the project. As always, Linklater makes the complex appear casual, allowing us to focus entirely upon the characters and the changing world that they so tangibly inhabit, and into which we are so deftly transported. ...

Perhaps this is the key to Linklater's film-making – the peculiar absence of voyeurism that is so often a core facet of cinema. While other directors may appear to be looking at their characters, Linklater seems to be looking with them, sharing in their hopes and dreams, encouraging and allowing us to do the same.

Larry B.

#1394 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Artemis wrote:Has anyone seen American Sniper?
I'm curious to know what the big deal about it. I don't want to pay for it at a movie theatre but I might see if I can find it on a free streaming site.
I've read that it's the most blatant piece of propaganda in a long, long time. And I've read that it has spurred a bunch of "I just saw American Sniper, let's kill all the Mulsims!" on Twitter. So I won't be watching that anytime soon.

Pandemonium

#1395 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:04 pm

I can't believe Palin thinks she has a shot at running again for *anything,* much less President in 2016.

creep
Site Admin

#1396 Post by creep » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:36 am

against larry's wishes i saw it. i like war movies with a good story but there was no story here. i know it's basically a true story but it's a guy goes to war...kills a bunch of people, has some friends killed and then comes home and has a hard time adjusting. i was bored. crazy that it's made 200 million in 10 days.

kv

#1397 Post by kv » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:37 am

Was a good book...movie felt like an empty shell compared to the book...could yell it was gonna be that way by the trailer

perkana

#1398 Post by perkana » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:19 am

Pandemonium wrote:

I can't believe Palin thinks she has a shot at running again for *anything,* much less President in 2016.
I saw this last night and for some reason I thought that was Lea Thompson and was very disappointed. Guess I'll pass on this one too...

perkana

#1399 Post by perkana » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:25 am

chaos wrote:I saw Boyhood today and was pleasantly surprised. Although it is a long movie, you get swept up in it.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/ju ... ilm-review

The genius of Boyhood is that while watching it, you simply forget about the head-scrambling logistics of the project. As always, Linklater makes the complex appear casual, allowing us to focus entirely upon the characters and the changing world that they so tangibly inhabit, and into which we are so deftly transported. ...

Perhaps this is the key to Linklater's film-making – the peculiar absence of voyeurism that is so often a core facet of cinema. While other directors may appear to be looking at their characters, Linklater seems to be looking with them, sharing in their hopes and dreams, encouraging and allowing us to do the same.
I agree...long ass movie, but it was worth it. I feel like doing a RL marathon: Dazed and Confused, his animated flicks and the Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight trilogy. I have only seen Before Sunset.

creep
Site Admin

#1400 Post by creep » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:30 pm

i watched kill the messenger. it's about a reporter that uncovered that the cia was allowing drug trafficking in the united states to fund the rebel contra group in nicaragua. it may have started the crack epidemic. you old people like me will remember. it's a really good movie.