Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1461 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:52 pm

creep wrote:anyone else watch the going clear doc on scientology last night on hbo? i had no idea how wacky the "religion" really is. really interesting stuff.

In the early 80's on a hot Summer afternoon, my buddy and I were walking a crowded Hollywood Blvd and as we passed the Scientology building, a couple of their mindless drones approached us for "testing." I should add we'd been drinking at a corner dive for the previous hour so we had a good buzz going. So we figure it would be at least funny to see where this leads. They seperate us and go one on one on us in individual rooms with bullshit like " you cant be happy with your life" and "we can give you purpose." It really is as cult-like as you can imagine. Took us almost two hours to get our stupid asses out of there.

Hype

#1462 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:46 am

I always thought it might be fun to do one of those tests just to see for myself, but the more I've heard about that shit the more it's obvious that it would be like the best damned door-to-door salesman ever... and I don't think I want to go anywhere near that. Pandemonium's story just confirms it. They're selling you billion-year long time-shares. :jasper:

Pandemonium

#1463 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:12 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I always thought it might be fun to do one of those tests just to see for myself, but the more I've heard about that shit the more it's obvious that it would be like the best damned door-to-door salesman ever... and I don't think I want to go anywhere near that. Pandemonium's story just confirms it. They're selling you billion-year long time-shares. :jasper:
Even back then in '83ish when these kind of cult groups could still get away with harassing people on the street like the Moonies aggressively hitting you up for money in LAX, what the Scientology goofs were doing at their HQ in Hollywood was undoubtedly outside the law. I remember stories on the news about these guys targeting runaways (just like pimps and drug dealers) who'd wind up in Hollywood from all over the country looking to "make it" as an actor or musicians.

We were basically stuck in individual small rooms with a "tester" and not really given an easy way to leave. Once I quickly got bored and uncomfortable with the novelty of the "interview" and wanted to leave, I had to make it clear I was not Scientology material by being as ridiculously obnoxious as possible ("do we get to have orgies?") 'til the guy just got fed up and realized it was a waste of his time. My buddy was a lot more argumentative, loud and drunk and got thrown out after just just a few minutes and had to wait outside on the street for half an hour for me. I still think they have members out on Hollywood Blvd looking for easy marks but it's nowhere near as obvious as it used to be.

Larry B.

#1464 Post by Larry B. » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:12 am

I've just watched it now, I thought it was really really good. It looks very well put together and manages to explain seriously what South Park explained about 10 years ago. Absolutely recommended. Now, I know this would be hard for some, but if you replace "Scientology" with any other cult or religion, you get essentially the same result: the ones are the top are all just a bunch of people trying to live tax free, their organizations are worth millions or billions of dollars and their followers are fucking bananas. Walking on water? Surviving 40 days in the desert? Being born again as a cow? Parasitic aliens live inside you? Suuure...

8/10.

creep
Site Admin

#1465 Post by creep » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:28 pm

i have to admit the beiber roast was pretty hilarious. that's my review.

Artemis

#1466 Post by Artemis » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:34 pm

creep wrote:i have to admit the beiber roast was pretty hilarious. that's my review.
:lol:

I liked Martha Stewart's bit. If she didn't sound like she was reading from the monitor it would have been way funnier.

clickie

#1467 Post by clickie » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:43 am

I hate to be the one to say it but the new Mad Max film looks kinda lame. I'm only judging by the previews, so i'm not saying the movie might not end up being awesome. The previews have been getting a lot of praise, so it'll probably be one of the few blockbusters to carry an "R" rating in recent memory. I think it comes out 2 weeks after the avengers movie. I wouldve waited 3 weeks to release it.

clickie

#1468 Post by clickie » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:02 pm

Why not have Mel Gibson play Max anyways, he aint that old.

perkana

#1469 Post by perkana » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:25 pm

A drunk antisemitic futuristic mad max

Larry B.

#1470 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:20 am

Saw "The Ghost in the Shell" a few nights ago. Really, really good. 7/10.

Bandit72

#1471 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:02 am

I watched The Shining again recently, which I think is Nicholson's best film, and I found this which is pretty cool.

I never realised Kubrick shot the stair scene 127 times. That must've been properly insane for the actors. Loads of other interesting facts here

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55893/25 ... ut-shining

Matz

#1472 Post by Matz » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:23 am

it's one of my favorite movies. can't believe Nicholson wasn't even nominated for an Oscar that year....the video is from a documentary you'll find on a special edition version

Bandit72

#1473 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:31 am

Matz wrote:can't believe Nicholson wasn't even nominated for an Oscar that year
I agree. He's just incredible in that specific stair case scene.

perkana

#1474 Post by perkana » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:06 pm

:wiggle:

creep
Site Admin

#1475 Post by creep » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:21 pm

perkana wrote::wiggle:
isn't some of the same footage used again that was already in the first trailer?

i never saw any of the movies past the 4th one. i would be interested in seeing this but no way i'm seeing it the first two weeks. it's going to break records i'm sure.

Essence_Smith

#1476 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:43 pm

creep wrote:
isn't some of the same footage used again that was already in the first trailer?

i never saw any of the movies past the 4th one. i would be interested in seeing this but no way i'm seeing it the first two weeks. it's going to break records i'm sure.
No, different footage altogether... I'm keeping my expectations low. I will be seeing this opening day or sooner even if I have to bribe some people. I actually saw some of the costumes at the Int'l Toy Fair a few weeks ago and the people made me sign a nondisclosure agreement stating I wouldn't talk to the press about what I'd seen...it felt kinda cool that it's been so secretive up until now but I did notice that a few of the costumes I saw were in this trailer were part of the ones I saw...I felt funny not being able to tell anyone... :lol:

Matz

#1477 Post by Matz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:09 pm

that didn't wow me at all....

creep
Site Admin

#1478 Post by creep » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Matz wrote:that didn't wow me at all....
matz is very hard to please.

seeing old man solo didn't do anything for you? chewy looks like he hasn't aged at all. they should of given him some grey hair or something.

Matz

#1479 Post by Matz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:34 pm

you're right, it was good to see han solo again and chewy....and I'm sure it's gonna be entertaining and all with that astronomical budget...(get it..hmm?) they're working with...I'm just worried the characters don't have as much personality as the ones we know...

creep
Site Admin

#1480 Post by creep » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:40 pm

Matz wrote:you're right, it was good to see han solo again and chewy....and I'm sure it's gonna be entertaining and all with that astronomical budget...(get it..hmm?) they're working with...I'm just worried the characters don't have as much personality as the ones we know...Han Solo is cool but can't save a whole movie all by himself
again i am far from a star wars nerd but the only interesting and entertaining characters are han solo and c3po.

i'm just hoping for a good story. i could care less about special effects and silly space ship battles. the franchise is in good hands now though.

perkana

#1481 Post by perkana » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:09 pm

For fuck sakes, it's Star Wars... Although I did see 1,2 and 3, they just didn't become what the first 3 were to me as a kid. So I'm really excited about seeing my favorite characters. And yes that scene "Chewie, we're home" made me very happy. Also the Darth Vader mask was cool. And I have a thing for Adam Driver (Adam on Girls), so he could be the new suave sexy character.
ES, I'm so jealous!!

Pandemonium

#1482 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:20 pm

I was just about to post that link. I'm not a total Star Wars nerdlinger but that clip took me back to 1977, something the 3 prequels never did.

nausearockpig

#1483 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:11 am

creep wrote:
Matz wrote:that didn't wow me at all....
matz is very hard to please.

seeing old man solo didn't do anything for you? chewy looks like he hasn't aged at all. they should of given him some grey hair or something.

Wookiees live to over 400 years old so he may not have aged that much - from a Wookiee perspective...

That was a rad trailer, can't wait for these new flicks...

How about that crashed Star Destroyer, Vader's helmet rescued from the funeral pyre, all those stormtroopers, that black armored stormtrooper or tie pilot? FUCK. YES. ( god i hope it doesn't suck )....

Larry B.

#1484 Post by Larry B. » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:43 am

Pandemonium wrote:
I was just about to post that link. I'm not a total Star Wars nerdlinger but that clip took me back to 1977, something the 3 prequels never did.
Something like this?

Matz

#1485 Post by Matz » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:12 am

ok it does look pretty cool actually, looking forward to it. seems like they've abandoned using a ton of blue screen, that's one major thing I hate about 1, 2 and 3