Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Matz

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1541 Post by Matz » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:50 am

:lol: promising premise, I'll have to check that out at some point

Artemis

#1542 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:59 am

I saw Southpaw yesterday( cheap Tuesday) and thought it was okay. Predictable, but still entertaining. I would give it a 7/10. The Larry B moving rating system would give it it a 2, maybe 3. :lol:

chaos

#1543 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:10 pm

I was skeptical when heard there was a David Foster Wallace movie, but I heard an interesting/positive review on NPR.

The reviews below praise the movie as well.
http://nypost.com/2015/07/29/why-the-da ... ears-best/

Why the David Foster Wallace film ‘End of the Tour’ is among the year’s best
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/31/movie ... avids.html

Review: ‘The End of the Tour’ Offers a Tale of Two Davids

perkana

#1544 Post by perkana » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:41 am

Star Wars, The Peanuts movie and now this? Looking forward to Christmas :wiggle:

Artemis

#1545 Post by Artemis » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:05 pm

I saw Ant-Man and really enjoyed it. Light, summer entertainment. :thumb:

I want to see the new movie with Marilyn Manson.

Let Me Make You a Martyr

*The trailer is just over 2 minutes. For some reason it is on here twice

The first trailer for Let Me Make You a Martyr, starring Marilyn Manson and his Sons of Anarchy co-stars Mark Boone Junior and Niko Nicotera, has come online. Manson plays a Native American hitman named Pope who’s hired by Boone’s drug-dealing pimp Larry Glass to kill his rebellious adopted son, Nicotera’s Drew. Drew, meanwhile, has fallen in love with his adopted sister, June (Sam Quartin), and the two plot their own murder to finally break free from their abusive father.

In addition to premiering the trailer, Rolling Stone published an interview with Manson and Boone. Manson called Boone his “unwanted mentor,” saying, “He tells me what to do. He’s always encouraged me, but he’s very bossy about it. He says things like, ‘You gotta do this, motherfucker. You’ll like this.'”

It turns out Boone was very right. “Within the first day, I was asked if I wanted to skin a coyote,” recalled an excited Manson. “It was already dead. And I was asked to burn down a house and ‘kill’ a bunch of people, so the answer was ‘yes’ obviously.” The shock singer also connected with Pope’s Native American heritage, as he himself is part Sioux on his mother’s side. Overall, he was thrilled to take the role. “It was the biggest role that I’ve played,” he said. “On the script, I’d say I was on half of the pages. I don’t know how the movie will end up though.”

At the end of the interview, Manson mentions that he has another film project lined up with none other than his current touring partner, Smashing Pumpkins’ Billy Corgan. “Billy has plans on directing and we have a project that we were thinking about doing,” Manson revealed. “It’s based on a book that I read when I was making Mechanical Animals, that he had given to me. It might be a pretty grand project, so it might not happen for a little while, but it’s a script that he’s had for a long time. I have to keep it a secret, but it’s a great role.”

perkana

#1546 Post by perkana » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:00 pm

I'm thinking about watching Ted 2. I enjoyed the first one.
Last week I saw She's funny that way. I love Owen Wilson but this movie was a copy of one of Woody Allen's. It's funny, not one of the best.

perkana

#1547 Post by perkana » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:53 pm

Just watched Ex-Machina. I really liked it, even better than Lucy (my favorite Luc Besson movies will always be Léon or The Professional and the Fifth Element).
I'm growing into a big fan of the ginger actor from the Harry Potter movies. Oh yeah, finally watched Montage of Heck. I fell asleep during some parts :conf:

Pandemonium

#1548 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:59 am

Watched Mad Max: Road Fury Friday on Blu-ray. Missed it in theaters so this was my first time seeing it and being aware of a lot of positive hype about it, I had high expectations. Surprisingly, the movie delivers as a pure action flick, perhaps on an even higher level then the original Mad Max movie. Tom Hardy is a decent replacement for Mel Gibson although the character has maybe a dozen lines and is really second fiddle to Charlize Theron who plays this female truck driver "Furiosa" who is trying to liberate a group of women "breeders" from this mutant cult leader. Most of the stunts were live action, not CGI and it's amazing what they were able to pull off. Highly recommended.

perkana

#1549 Post by perkana » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:56 pm

I would have loved watching that one in one of those 4DX (or whatever they are called) theaters. I prefer watching action flicks in theaters. For some reason, I get more excited watching them with other people around and with high quality sound system, the better :cool:

Artemis

#1550 Post by Artemis » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:18 am

I recently saw Amy and Diary of a Teenage Girl - both were excellent. The Amy doc made me tear up a few times, props to the director. Diary of a Teenage Girl is in my top 5 best movies of 2015 so far.

I also Ricki and the Flash - meh...it was okay. I think it was more for Meryl Streep to introduce her daughter to the world.
American Ultra was also meh.

mockbee

#1551 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:39 am

I am planning on seeing Straight Outta Compton this weekend for my one or two movies that I typically see in a year. It is supposed to be very, very good. Has anyone seen it yet, accurate reviews?

For me it's a toss up between seeing that and End of the Tour, but suspected my mother in law wouldn't let me hear the end of it if I took her to that.........

She loves her sex, gang violence and offensive language. :lol:

Artemis

#1552 Post by Artemis » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:38 pm

mockbee wrote:I am planning on seeing Straight Outta Compton this weekend for my one or two movies that I typically see in a year. It is supposed to be very, very good. Has anyone seen it yet, accurate reviews?
I saw it and really liked it. I felt the the movie lived up to the positive reviews. There was some negative press surrounding the movie about Dre punching out a woman and abusing his former wife that was omitted from the movie;however, the misogny of how women were treated was shown a little bit.

I really enjoyed it and think it's worth a watch even for people who aren't into that music. I don't know how accurate everything is, but it was a very entertaining movie.
It's in my top 5 of 2015 so far

1.Mad Max:Furiosa
2.Diary of a Teenage Girl
3. Straight Outta Compton
4. TBD
5. TBD

mockbee

#1553 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:14 pm

Artemis wrote:
mockbee wrote:I am planning on seeing Straight Outta Compton this weekend for my one or two movies that I typically see in a year. It is supposed to be very, very good. Has anyone seen it yet, accurate reviews?
I saw it and really liked it. I felt the the movie lived up to the positive reviews. There was some negative press surrounding the movie about Dre punching out a woman and abusing his former wife that was omitted from the movie;however, the misogny of how women were treated was shown a little bit.

I really enjoyed it and think it's worth a watch even for people who aren't into that music. I don't know how accurate everything is, but it was a very entertaining movie.
It's in my top 5 of 2015 so far

1.Mad Max:Furiosa
2.Diary of a Teenage Girl
3. Straight Outta Compton
4. TBD
5. TBD

Have you seen Love and Mercy?

I thought that was excellent.

Artemis

#1554 Post by Artemis » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:23 pm

mockbee wrote: Have you seen Love and Mercy?

I thought that was excellent.

Not yet...it's on my list.

I forgot to add Amy to my list...#4.

mockbee

#1555 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:07 am

Bandit72 wrote:I hope this is as good as the book.

Well the more extended previews makes this look rather melodramatic, I guess to be expected, but makes me less interested. It is also getting mixed reviews.

I've never seen a feature movie in IMAX and it's playing down the street now, so maybe I will still check it out for the cinematography and be pleasantly surprised if the familiar story is actually engaging......? :noclue:

Pandemonium

#1556 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:13 am

I finally watched "Avengers: Age Of Ultron" and was somewhat disappointed. I was kind of shocked to see right off the bat how unfinished and video-gamey the action scenes looked. It did a good job of giving equal time to the crowd of characters but it gets fatiguing by the halfway mark.

perkana

#1557 Post by perkana » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Saw last night the trailer for this movie. It looks really good.

perkana

#1558 Post by perkana » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:43 pm

I can't wait to watch this, the book is so damn funny...

Bandit72

#1559 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:57 am

This looks ace. I like the fact Ben foster, who plays Armstrong actually doped himself for a few month to see what it felt like.

perkana

#1560 Post by perkana » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Saw "Trainwreck" today. Amy Schumer and Judd Apatow are geniuses. And I love Bill Hader. He's the best. I didn't recognize Tilda Swinton until the end. Does that woman even age?

perkana

#1561 Post by perkana » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:54 pm

Today I watched "Crimson Peak". I was very pleased with it. Can't wait to watch "Spectre" this weekend :wiggle:

Pandemonium

#1562 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:25 pm

perkana wrote:Today I watched "Crimson Peak". I was very pleased with it. Can't wait to watch "Spectre" this weekend :wiggle:
It's weird how divided opinions about Spectre have been so far. All across the board from people who think it absolutely sucks to "it's ok" to "it's the best of the Craig Bonds yet."

And I'm gonna have to wait to see Crimson Peak when it comes out on Blu-ray. I'm kind of bummed it didn't do very well in theaters as I love Del Toro's stuff.

Oh, and I saw Fantastic Four this past weekend - it is as bad as everyone made it out to be. IMO, it's a tie between FF and Terminator Genysis as which is the shittiest movie of 2015.

nausearockpig

#1563 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:51 pm

Watched Terminator: Genisys the other day.. meh... was OK but Daenerys doesn't quite cut it as Sarah Conner... Still, it was entertaining and way better than the last Terminator movie...

perkana

#1564 Post by perkana » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:27 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
perkana wrote:Today I watched "Crimson Peak". I was very pleased with it. Can't wait to watch "Spectre" this weekend :wiggle:
It's weird how divided opinions about Spectre have been so far. All across the board from people who think it absolutely sucks to "it's ok" to "it's the best of the Craig Bonds yet."

And I'm gonna have to wait to see Crimson Peak when it comes out on Blu-ray. I'm kind of bummed it didn't do very well in theaters as I love Del Toro's stuff.

Oh, and I saw Fantastic Four this past weekend - it is as bad as everyone made it out to be. IMO, it's a tie between FF and Terminator Genysis as which is the shittiest movie of 2015.
I love Guillermo del Toro's movies. I was not disappointed at all. I'm a big fan of Bond movies. I think the only movies I wasn't crazy about were the ones with Timothy Dalton. I had never been so bored in my life.

Matz

#1565 Post by Matz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:56 am

perkana wrote: I love Guillermo del Toro's movies. I was not disappointed at all. I'm a big fan of Bond movies. I think the only movies I wasn't crazy about were the ones with Timothy Dalton. I had never been so bored in my life.
I love the second movie he did, License to kil. Carey Lovell is in that one :love:

To me, most of the light comedy bull shit movies Roger Moore did, is what you want to avoid. Ironically the last one he did when he was really old, A view to a kill, is cool as hell. By far his best.

Brosnan was cool in the first one he did but the remaining ones sucked due to horrible scripts and stuff

best Bond movie of all time is Thunderball